PDA

View Full Version : Who has a .308 upper?

drkphibr
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
anyone know who has a DPMS compatible .308 upper that is 18 or 20"? Everyone, and I mean everyone seems to be out of them (unless you're paying $1,500-2,000 for just the upper). Looking to spend $1,000 or less on the upper (with BCG).

LBCR1
06-14-2012, 10:33 PM
i have a RedXarms 20" DPMS .308 upper on mine they had it in stock i had it in less then a week. i have only shot it once with a cheap scope on it. havent shot it since i put a better scope on it. here is a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/diaxio/guns/IMAG0074.jpg

HkUSP45
06-14-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a DPMS 308 A3 upper with SASS barrel.

drkphibr
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
i have a RedXarms 20" DPMS .308 upper on mine they had it in stock i had it in less then a week. i have only shot it once with a cheap scope on it. havent shot it since i put a better scope on it. here is a pic.

Just checked their site and they are backordered as well on these (including BCG on backorder as well as the charging handle)....

Hoop
06-15-2012, 7:37 AM
JSE Surplus has some 20" DPMS HBAR uppers for 650$.

You could also build your own; DPMS 308 BCG @ midwayusa right now, then get an upper, barrel, handguards, gas block, gas tube, roll pin and muzzle device.

Don29palms
06-15-2012, 8:16 AM
Be very careful buying anything from Red X Arms.

drkphibr
06-15-2012, 11:28 AM

You could also build your own; DPMS 308 BCG @ midwayusa right now, then get an upper, barrel, handguards, gas block, gas tube, roll pin and muzzle device.

if only it didn't have the front post....

ott1
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Be very careful buying anything from Red X Arms.

Please elaborate.

TURNKEY13
06-16-2012, 1:32 AM
I'm very happy with Fulton Armory's Titan on my Tactical Machine lower. $1099 though. Yes DPMS compatible.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/fariflecal556mmupruniversalprecisionrifle-3-4-2-1-1-2-1-2-2-1-4-2-4.aspx

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
06-16-2012, 8:03 AM
Fulton Armory makes some nice stuff. I have had zero issues with my hybrid AR308 with upper and BCG from Fulton.

drkphibr
06-23-2012, 8:27 AM

All things considered:

Build from scratch - NO one seems to have complete parts to do a full build, at least the larger mail order houses
Buy complete - easier said than done right now, limited stock (JSE is one of the few vendors that actually has ANY complete uppers)
Custom build - was offered over PM but the price was quite high (over retail) and the parts/pics were...misleading once I dug deeper...not to mention the payment "method"...
Modify existing upper

I decided for the money/options/availability to go for the JSE. Great price and gave me room to customize (with parts that are actually available) with the following:

Removed the stock flash hider for a Miculek compensator (easy to do)
Punched out the pins on the A2 front sight and removed the standard gas tube (another easy process)
Loosened the barrel nut (going to replace the handguards with a free float rifle length)
Waiting on the free float rail
Didn't realize the barrel would be unfinished under the A2 rings, so waiting on a longer low profile gas block to cover them
Picked up a black gas tube (looks great)

All in, I'm HUNDREDS of dollars under a full upper that was not as customized at this (to my preferences) from either Internet or custom 3rd party build pricing. The work is easy (as long as you have the tools) and enjoyable as well.

Major kudos to JSE. Super fast shipping and they even threw in a pocket knife. Nice touch. I'll be doing business with them again.