PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a scope ring lapping kit around this weekend? Chabot/Richmond?

trigger hippie
06-14-2012, 9:20 PM
Greetings all.

I have some Arms #22 rings I think might need lapping. I'm mounting a Horus Raptor on my 18" SPR build. 30mm rings.

Would there happen to be anyone with a scope lapping kit who'd let me borrow theirs? I'd be more than willing to trade some cash, ammo, or some friendly trigger time :) for the service.

Cheers all, stay safe -

trigger hippie
06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Btt. Still hoping I won't have to buy an entire scope lapping setup :)

Omega13device
06-17-2012, 11:56 PM
If you need to lap rings you should seriously consider buying better rings. You will not have to lap rings from Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, LaRue...people can probably chime in with a few others.

trigger hippie
06-18-2012, 12:06 AM
If you need to lap rings you should seriously consider buying better rings. You will not have to lap rings from Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, LaRue...people can probably chime in with a few others.

Yeah... I'm probably going to end up selling or returning the ARMS #22s. I'm thinking the Larue LT-193 one-piece mount; it's high enough that I might avoid using a riser. I have a big-*** head.

It's too bad about the ARMS set - I figured since they were good enough for NSWC-Crane Mark 12s, they'd be good enough for my humble little build. The guaranteed return-to-zero also sounded promising. Unfortunately they seem to be concentrating grip around the forward and rear edges of the ring. I'm hesitant to take this out to the range on a new scope.

In terms of a review, I must note that outside of the Burris P.E.P.R. set which seemed like it would *definitely* need lapping, it seemed like the most elegant way to put a holosight (for 3gun transitions) or level (for precision) on top of a scope. I'm finding though that its 1.5" rise still isn't enough for my big-*** head without an additional riser. I really don't like mounting rings past the gap on my AR too (handguard/receiver gap).

I think I'm probably going to just have to get used to an offset. I've already found a nice little level from Brownells that clamps around the scope ring.

Posterity may find it of interest that the A.R.M.S. #22 set is not all that and a bucket of chicken.

MrPlink
06-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Not an expert, but I also wouldnt have figured an arms set of rings would need lapping.

Gofasterdammit
06-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I'd review your scope mounting procedure. Check out Mike @ CS Tactical's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQgXPA4A2J0

Sounds like there might be some twisting when you are torquing the ring caps. I would also think that ARMS rings would not need lapping. I'd take a good look at the scope tube also. Horus is known for reticles, not quality scopes.

trigger hippie
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I'd review your scope mounting procedure. Check out Mike @ CS Tactical's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQgXPA4A2J0

Sounds like there might be some twisting when you are torquing the ring caps. I would also think that ARMS rings would not need lapping. I'd take a good look at the scope tube also. Horus is known for reticles, not quality scopes.

Nice video. His idea of a slight cant to align the bubble with the fine lines in the middle is an interesting one.

I've actually checked the tolerances on the scope tube on my micrometer; it's perfectly straight across and in the round to within the limits of my micrometer.

I'm also using a level and vise like he did - though I don't have the handy-dandy boresighter that he did, or his torque wrench. I've been eyeballing the torque by using the weight of the rifle to approximate 20 lbs or so of torque; I have an automotive torque wrench lying around but its lowest setting is 5 lbs so I don't think I can use it.

Could I be causing this uneven wear pattern due to insufficient/uneven torquing, perhaps? I might have to bite the bullet and buy one of those torque screwdrivers.

Is this a good deal on a torque screwdriver, I wonder?

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grade-4-Inch-Torque-Screwdriver/dp/B000RZ1D86/ref=sr_1_42?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340042100&sr=1-42&keywords=torque+screwdriver

I have a couple standard hollow-ground bits lying around that I think should fit it.

Short Action Precision
06-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Go with the Wheeler F.A.T. wrench.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

or the Borka

http://www.triadtactical.com/Borka-Tools-Torque-Driver.html

Omega13device
06-18-2012, 7:04 PM
+1 on the Wheeler.

TheHammerOfTruth
06-18-2012, 8:53 PM

I cant go with you on this one. No one makes a pefect ring. Once you lap them you can see clearly the imperfection. It doesnt take long and is not hard. I learned a long time ago...lap evrybodys rings. I have yet to find a perfect set.