PDA

View Full Version : Quality of WOA Barrels?

eric90503
06-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Curious as to what the general consensus is on WOA barrels? I just waited a couple of months for this 20" barrel http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17566&cat=250&page=3

Finally got it and the person who was going to build my rifle said to sell it and get a better one?:confused: This builder is one of the premier builders in the AR world.

I was planning on cutting it down to 17".

MarkInFolsom
06-14-2012, 7:46 PM
Did your builder say why? I recently got a 26" WOA match upper and it shot just over 1/2" groups with hastily loaded rounds. What barrel *does* he recommend?

Arkangel
06-14-2012, 7:48 PM
the person who was going to build my rifle said to sell it and get a better one?:confused: This builder is one of the premier builders in the AR world.

Did this "premier" builder give you any specific reason why you shouldn't use WOA? Or as least point you in which direction you should be going?

phish
06-14-2012, 7:59 PM
lol, nubcake...

eric90503
06-14-2012, 8:14 PM
Did this "premier" builder give you any specific reason why you shouldn't use WOA? Or as least point you in which direction you should be going?

Basically said get a better one. Not worth the money to cut, re-crown, and re-thread. Haven't heard a response yet as to which is a better one.

P.W.
06-14-2012, 8:20 PM
I was planning on cutting it down to 17".

Perhaps this is the reasoning behind whoever this "Premium" builder stated to sell and get another barrel. There are probably better options than starting with a 20" SDM barrel. I don't think the quality is the issue here to be completely honest.

707electrician
06-14-2012, 8:23 PM
Uh, you don't get much better than a WOA/WOP. This "premier AR builder" must not be as "premier" as you may think

TheHammerOfTruth
06-14-2012, 8:25 PM
Uh, you don't get much better than a WOA/WOP. This "premier AR builder" must not be as "premier" as you may think

I agree, dont be afraid to tell us who it is. If they're premier then they wont have an issue backing up their statement.

wooger
06-14-2012, 8:27 PM
Your "builder" is full of beans, find a real gunsmith.

GoBig
06-14-2012, 8:28 PM
WOA makes extremely good barrels!

Arkangel
06-14-2012, 8:38 PM
I would also like to know who your builder is...

eric90503
06-14-2012, 8:48 PM
Perhaps this is the reasoning behind whoever this "Premium" builder stated to sell and get another barrel. There are probably better options than starting with a 20" SDM barrel. I don't think the quality is the issue here to be completely honest.

That's what I was thinking too. Not sure hard to interpret in an email.
His name is Wes and I'm sure you all know the rest. Very nice guy and
responds quick to emails. Just kinda bummed since I had to wait a heck of
a long time for this mofo barrel.

...Yeah, cutting a 20" DMR barrel to 17"... f' it! :43:
I work to damn hard to care, I want it to be nice!

Arkangel
06-14-2012, 9:03 PM
Pardon my ignorance... But what company does Wes work for or own?

zfields
06-14-2012, 9:05 PM
Pardon my ignorance... But what company does Wes work for or own?

He's extremely well known, and renowned, you shoudl know him :rolleyes:

P.W.
06-14-2012, 9:06 PM
If your talking about Wes Grant from MSTN, then cutting the 20" to 17" is probably the reason why he said to sell it and buy another barrel. Just like the others have chimed in here WOA makes quality barrels, so you can either sell it and buy something else or send it off to someone else to do the barrel work then let Wes assemble it. Either way, good luck on your build and look forward to the pics when it is finished.

Ahhnother8
06-14-2012, 9:14 PM
Curious as to what the general consensus is on WOA barrels?

Really? I guess if you are shooting beyond 1000 yards against some of the best marksmen in the world, you might choose another company...but I wouldn't. ;)

Arkangel
06-14-2012, 9:15 PM
He's extremely well known, and renowned, you shoudl know him :rolleyes:

My apologies to the AR gods... :p

F8ality
06-14-2012, 9:18 PM
He is basically telling you to buy the custom Noveske SPR barrels that he has made just for him. Im not bagging on the guy but that is why. Wes is a great guy and knows what he is doing and talking about, but you have to remember he is a business man and a sales man too. Here is my suggestion if your pocket book can afford the best of the best brand in the industry then buy it, if your budget is less then buy the best you can and if that is WOA then buy it and be happy. I'd be willing to bet that you would never know the difference...just my .02 cents

russ69
06-14-2012, 9:20 PM
WOA is a top tier target rifle company. I would not be surprised to see a very high percentage of WOA rifles on the line at Camp Perry but I'm a target shooter, I don't know too much about 17 inch barreled guns, just long range AR15s.

zfields
06-14-2012, 9:25 PM
WOA is a top tier target rifle company. I would not be surprised to see a very high percentage of WOA rifles on the line at Camp Perry but I'm a target shooter, I don't know too much about 17 inch barreled guns, just long range AR15s.

Doesn't WOA hold a few of the Hipower service rifle records?

eric90503
06-14-2012, 9:27 PM
He is basically telling you to buy the custom Noveske SPR barrels that he has made just for him. Im not bagging on the guy but that is why. Wes is a great guy and knows what he is doing and talking about, but you have to remember he is a business man and a sales man too. Here is my suggestion if your pocket book can afford the best of the best brand in the industry then buy it, if your budget is less then buy the best you can and if that is WOA then buy it and be happy. I'd be willing to bet that you would never know the difference...just my .02 cents

I'd buy that. That makes sense, I'll probably go with the WOA barrel since I already have it. Then I'll go with Wes's barrel on the next one, and yes I will shoot it out eventually! :D
Wes seems like a very stand up guy, just hope I can get a URX 3.1 out of him:p

eric90503
06-14-2012, 9:30 PM
If your talking about Wes Grant from MSTN, then cutting the 20" to 17" is probably the reason why he said to sell it and buy another barrel. Just like the others have chimed in here WOA makes quality barrels, so you can either sell it and buy something else or send it off to someone else to do the barrel work then let Wes assemble it. Either way, good luck on your build and look forward to the pics when it is finished.

Will do. Man sliding that barrel into a MUR1A was awesome. Been messing with stamped stuff too much! It's a nice change, not so much for my wallet.

Hoop
06-15-2012, 7:56 AM
WOA are fine barrels but when you spend 400$ for your barrel and then another 100-150$ to have it cut down and re-crowned/threaded it gets into the realm of 'why not buy one that is already that way'.

Brux, Douglas, Lilja, Hart, Krieger, few others out there will all do you up an AR barrel for that kind of money give or take.

Also, there are tons of 18" options out there ready to go. Fulton has Douglas 18" SPR barrels for 300, Rainier has a few of their own + WOA ones, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Probably what Mr. Wes meant by 'use something else.'

He didn't mean you bought a bad barrel...just that there are easier ways to get where you're going...

SuperSet
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Agreed with Hoop, I'm sure that's what he meant.
WOA makes excellent barrels. Mine went 7K before it couldn't hold a 300yd group anymore and it stayed 1MOA or better until then.

milotrain
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
1. White oak doesn't make barrels, they profile and chamber barrels.
1a. WOA chambers and profiles Wilson barrels, which for the most part are indistinguishable in accuracy from their better WOP chambered and profiled barrels but they won't last as long.
1b. WOP chambers and profiles whatever you want, but mostly Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Krieger.

Other items of note.
• The WOA you linked to is a 1:7 or 1:8. I don't know how much sense it makes to shoot heavy match bullets out of a 17" barrel but 1:7 will shoot 55gr just fine so maybe that's a non issue.
• I also don't see a reason to buy a 20" barrel and then cut it down to a 17" if there is a good 17" out there. Additionally it is WOA, John will make you a 17" if you ask him too I'll bet.
• You can always sell a WOA barrel or upper for almost exactly what you bought it for, sometimes more due to the fact that you have it on hand and John's waiting list is rather long. *There is nothing wrong with selling it, you won't loose any money on the deal.

Lastly, I don't have a clue what you are using it for but I find very little reason to shoot .223 out of anything other than a 20" WOA barrel, except for when I can get away with a 24" WOA match barrel.

HK Dave
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd guess that Wes meant for you just to buy a barrel made to your specifications instead of spending a bunch of money cutting down a barrel that is nowhere near what you need or want to begin with.

NiteQwill
06-15-2012, 5:52 PM
1. White oak doesn't make barrels, they profile and chamber barrels.
1a. WOA chambers and profiles Wilson barrels, which for the most part are indistinguishable in accuracy from their better WOP chambered and profiled barrels but they won't last as long.
1b. WOP chambers and profiles whatever you want, but mostly Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Krieger.

Other items of note.
The WOA you linked to is a 1:7 or 1:8. I don't know how much sense it makes to shoot heavy match bullets out of a 17" barrel but 1:7 will shoot 55gr just fine so maybe that's a non issue.
I also don't see a reason to buy a 20" barrel and then cut it down to a 17" if there is a good 17" out there. Additionally it is WOA, John will make you a 17" if you ask him too I'll bet.
You can always sell a WOA barrel or upper for almost exactly what you bought it for, sometimes more due to the fact that you have it on hand and John's waiting list is rather long. *There is nothing wrong with selling it, you won't loose any money on the deal.

Lastly, I don't have a clue what you are using it for but I find very little reason to shoot .223 out of anything other than a 20" WOA barrel, except for when I can get away with a 24" WOA match barrel.

AFAIK, John now builds all his barrels in-house. I thought the Wilson blanks were a thing of the past.

WOA either way makes amazing stuff. I'm waiting for a SPR barrel for my next build... :D

-hanko
06-15-2012, 7:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of Wes' barrels have placed in the winner's circle in HP competition? How many are even used there? ;)

-hanko

SuperSet
06-15-2012, 8:06 PM
BTW, Wes used to build Taran Butler's rifles so this is the reason you have a 17" rifle length upper from MSTN. It used to be known as the JLT (Just Like Taran's) build. The reason with going to 17" allowed the shooter to take advantage of the softer recoil impulse of rifle length gas + increased maneuverability (I.e. lighter) of a 17" rifle. It was intended to support 3-gun and not HP.

dlouie87
06-15-2012, 9:47 PM
WOA are GTG... some of the best match barrels out there.

pinoy916
06-16-2012, 9:27 AM
WOA is considered one of the best match barrels.
Wylde
WOA
Jp
KRIEGER
NOVESKE
Sabre Defence match barrels.

PAC-Nor and Krieger are some of the best manufacturer.

Doesnt make sense to cut down a match barrel and uae it for a different purpose ie combat etc...then you may wanna get a Noveske Afghan.
Matched barrels have a different purpose.

I personally have Afghan barrels from years ago from Noveske and wouldnt replace these with the current Afghans they sell now... They are still good.

milotrain
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AFAIK, John now builds all his barrels in-house. I thought the Wilson blanks were a thing of the past.

WOA either way makes amazing stuff. I'm waiting for a SPR barrel for my next build... :D

Wait what? I know WOA used to use Wilson barrels that were profiled and chambered by Frank at CLE, but there is almost no way I'd believe that he's now making his own barrels and button rifling them.

I'm pretty sure he's taking Wilson blanks, profiling, crowning, and chambering them for WOA, and doing the same with higher end blanks for WOP.

30Cal
06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, how many of Wes' barrels have placed in the winner's circle in HP competition? How many are even used there? ;)

-hanko

The match is won in the offhand stage at 200yds--the barrel has very little to do with the shooter hitting a 3.5moa 10-ring.

The match is lost at 600yds. Again, the barrel has pretty much nothing to do with it.