PDA

View Full Version : AR guys, what's your favorite set up of a two-point sling?

P220
06-14-2012, 6:53 PM
Last week my friend gave me a two point sling (I think it's a VTAC), but never had a sling before, don't know how to use it.

I just need to buy two QD swivels, right? or something else I have to purchase.
Do I need suture the sling when using a swivel?
Thanks!

xpbprox
06-14-2012, 7:02 PM
Area armor huskey sling. I have 2 I them and I live them. Check out their website, it has a video demonstration of how QD,s can be setup

UserM4
06-14-2012, 7:04 PM
Or you can strap it through one of the slits in your buttstock and use 550 cord through one of the rail holes and loop your sling through the cord. I have QD swivels on my carbine. Hate them.

VictorFranko
06-14-2012, 7:08 PM
Good video on the VTAC

YhojNCdksYw

Arson
06-14-2012, 7:48 PM
I like my savvy sniper in single point. No straps to grab, just hook with digits.

TheGr81Nose
06-14-2012, 7:50 PM
I have a Blackhawk CQD sling I'm selling if you're interested. Lemme know.

Sent from my iPhone 5000 using Tapatalk

Omega13device
06-14-2012, 7:57 PM
For the front you'll need a pushbutton sling swivel. For the back you can either use a pushbutton sling swivel, or just run the sling through one of the slots in the stock.

Either way, you don't "suture" it (I think you mean sew it), you just run the loose end of the sling back through the nearest tri-glide (that plastic double-loop that the sling is already threaded through).

TNP'R
06-14-2012, 8:00 PM
I use a QD sling swivel and the sling attachment on the front of the rifle.

HonkingAntelope
06-14-2012, 8:19 PM
Good video on the VTAC

YhojNCdksYw

WAY too much monkey motion...

QuarterBoreGunner
06-14-2012, 8:51 PM
"monkey motion"? Do you mean fiddling with the sling fittings?

digdug74
06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I have that same sling on my AR. You can loop the rear of the sling through one of the "slits" on the Magpul stock (rear most works best for me) but you're going to need some kind of attachment point on the rail unless you just want to wrap the sling around the rail or through the front sight which will be less than optimal. I personally went with this one:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/slingacc_lpsm.html

However, there are cheaper options on the market if you just shop around.

East Bay Cop
06-15-2012, 12:52 AM
V Tac, I love mine, I bought the it from Larue pre set up with the Qds. I just threw it on and it was already adjusted and ready to go

zfields
06-15-2012, 1:19 AM

+1. Gimmie a freaking basic 2 point.

NSR500
06-15-2012, 1:48 AM
I use my VTAC sling with a Damage Industries QD single point adapter and a Daniel Defense QD end plate. Much better than an MS2 or MS3 setup and adaptable to most modes of carry.

VictorFranko
06-15-2012, 6:19 AM

Transitioning from standing to kneeling to sitting to prone to off hand and to side arm (running 10-15 yards between each position) requires a little monkey motion, no way around it, and in the training we do, we do it in a very short order, the VTAC works well.

rrr70
06-15-2012, 6:28 AM
Blue Force Vickers combat sling.

TreeHugger
06-15-2012, 7:00 AM
Vickers VCAS (http://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-combat-applications-sling/), it's a two point sling. Mine is mounted to the rear of the handguard with a QD swivel and the rear slot on the CTR stock and can act as a single point also.

Hoop
06-15-2012, 7:22 AM
I've tried many different slings and find that a 2 point going from the buttstock to the front sight base or thereabouts is best.

edit: Attach the sling to your CTR stock from the righthand side of the rifle, go around the back of the CTR stock and then attach the sling to the handguard left side. You'll need a picatinny sling attachment.

xpbprox
06-15-2012, 7:25 AM
I've tried many different slings and find that a 2 point going from the buttstock to the front sight base or thereabouts is best.

I have my attached to the fsb and it's annoying, I liked it better when it was mounted to the side of the rail

Hoop
06-15-2012, 7:27 AM
I have my attached to the fsb and it's annoying, I liked it better when it was mounted to the side of the rail

Yeah that's what I meant. As far forward on the rail as possible is how I like them.

xpbprox
06-15-2012, 7:36 AM
Yup, it gives me a nice little niche for my thum to set into

t0kie
06-15-2012, 7:40 AM
Vickers & TAB. I found that TAB is usually for bolt action, but I like it also on my AR (with QD swivel).

loosewreck
06-15-2012, 8:39 AM
Another +1 for the Blue Force Vickers 2 Point or regular Blue Force 2 Point.

I use it with QD swivels front and rear. The front is attached to the rear left side of the handguard and the rear is attached to the right QD socket of the stock.

The heavy duty QD swivels are great, they allow me to use the same sling for all of my AR type rifles.

xpbprox
06-15-2012, 8:57 AM
7xmYaU4Y4dg

I haven't seen a better setup

hossb7
06-15-2012, 9:18 AM
Receiver end plate and just in front of the magwell.

6mmintl
06-15-2012, 1:07 PM
I use a standard GI web sling with two snap clips on each end on my A2, good out to 600 in HP, great to carry hunting, all other slings are for 50-100 yard carrying, snap shooting, and looking cool.

Bete Noire
06-15-2012, 1:14 PM
+1 Ares Armor Huskey sling. QD as far forward on handguard and the other QD on weapon hand side of buttstock.

aznanimekid
06-16-2012, 8:17 AM
does anyone have trouble doing reloads using a 2pt sling with tension adjustment like the ares armor, spectre, vcas, etc? for my ares sling, if i set up the length so that the tension does what the youtube video does, even when i untension it when i rotate the rifle towards my support side, the sling tenses under my armpit and makes it difficult to reach for my mag pouches. it is my first sling so i dont know if i set it up wrong or not...

Agent Tikki
06-16-2012, 9:05 AM
I like to shoot off hand at 200-400 yards. Mounting the sling as far back as possible (on the stock) and as far forward as possible (at the end of the fore end) gives the most stability.

rero360
06-16-2012, 9:25 AM
I have a VTAC that I use, haven't fully decided how I want to run it yet, currently I have the front mounted on the left side of the handguard closest to the muzzle, so my thumb rests on top of it. I've been alternating the rear between the Noveske QD receiver end plate and the right side of the Magpul CTR stock.

While I like the receiver end plate mounting better for transition to weak shoulder, I am thinking about keeping it on the stock so there is sameness between my personal rifle and my issued carbine.

I've also been meaning to move the front mounting point back towards the mag well and see how I like that. My reasoning there is I have found that when I do reloads (ignoring the whole BB nonsense) there is the risk of the sling interfering with the process. It hasn't yet, the sling sits probably 3 or four inches above the path of motion of my hand and the magazine, but I want to see if by changing the mounting location what differences that will make to the position of the sling.

All about finding problems and eliminating them, finding potential problems and making it so they don't become problems.

Keep in mind my needs/ desires may be different from yours, I approach my personal rifle like I do my issued one, I want things set up so there is no risk of failure or entanglements, I want nothing to slow me down. While in reality, if I fumble a reload at the range or take my time clearing a malfunction or something like that isn't a big deal, it could mean life or death in combat and I don't want to develop/ further ingrain those training scars for when/if it could mean everything.

06-16-2012, 9:32 AM
AR guys, what's your favorite set up of a two-point sling?

front = qd side mount just behind the RVG
rear = through the top sling loop or right side qd mount of the EMOD

Fractured
06-17-2012, 4:34 PM
I want to bump this for more opinions, as I am in the market for a sling.

Sgt. J Beezy
06-17-2012, 4:37 PM
I use a QD sling swivel on the front and a Magpul ASAP butt plate for the rear.

helpme
06-21-2012, 9:28 AM
7xmYaU4Y4dg

I haven't seen a better setup

+1. Ares Armor- Husky Amentum Slider Sling (with optional 2-to-1 point if you have the extra $20).

I personally use the Husky Amentum Slider Sling and endorse it 100%. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

rogtac
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I want to bump this for more opinions, as I am in the market for a sling.

I've got a good deal on VTAC 2-point slings.

All VTAC products are discounted in the shopping cart, plus save an extra 5% using CalGuns discount code (CG5).

http://www.rogtac.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=vtac

Free shipping!

tomd1584
06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I run a QD Vickers 2 point. I use a gear sector rail mount on my handguard, and the QD attachment on my SOPMOD.

tuna quesadilla
06-21-2012, 5:31 PM
Front: QD mounted to rearmost slot on starboard side of handguard.
Rear: QD mounted to socket on starboard side of Vltor IMOD stock.

I shoot lefty ;) right now I use a VTAC but I'm considering a VCAS... Hmm...

Dreaded Claymore
06-21-2012, 5:49 PM
Just ordered a Specter two-point sling. All the ones the store had in stock were black, but they ordered one in coyote brown for me. I'll edit this post when it gets here.