PDA

View Full Version : Just a few newbie AR questions

Jazeronthelaser
06-14-2012, 6:28 PM
Hello everyone! I bought my first AR 3 weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it!! But I have a couple newbie questions I could use a little help with. Please excuse my ignorance. First off:

1) Is it bad to let the bolt fly forwards with out a round being chambered? I know sitting there doing this over and over is no good but if it's locked back it's ok to let the buffer spring do it's job right?

2) I bought the Bushmaster XT-15-A3 patrolman carbine with a 16" barrel. Love the rifle!! Hate the butt stock!! I know my rifle has a commercial buffer tube but I was looking to put a magpul butt stock on it. Most of them I've seen say "mil-spec" on packaging. Does that mean I have to buy a mil-spec buffer tube (and buffer and buffer spring) for the stock to fit correctly? The original butt-stock has to much wiggle for my liking and has nothing but hard plastic resting on my shoulder.

I think that's all I can remember right now. Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

BenHa
06-14-2012, 6:42 PM
2. Magpul also make commerical-spec buttock

Jazeronthelaser
06-14-2012, 6:48 PM
Okay. Thanks BenHa!! I have not seen those and will do more looking. So If I have a commercial tube I should defineitly be looking for a commercial stock? Does anyone know the difference? I thought mil-spec was individually particle tested yada yada yada. Does it have anything to do with the actual size? If not then what would be the hurt in throwing a mil-spec on a commercial tube?

scglock
06-14-2012, 6:49 PM
You probably shouldn't let the bolt slam forward excessively without a round but I don't think it would hurt it if you do. magpul makes commercial size stocks as well as mil spec.

scglock
06-14-2012, 6:50 PM
Mil spec and commercial are different sizes. Make sure your stock matches your buffer tube

Ziggy91
06-14-2012, 6:59 PM
1. No, you're ok. The bolt or chamber will not break without a round in the chamber. If it does, get a refund.

2. Watch out which magpul you get because not all of them are "sturdy" enough and they can still have a wiggle. If you don't want any wiggle whatsoever get a fixed stock like an A2.

Jazeronthelaser
06-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Thanks scglock and Ziggy 91! Much appreciated. I don't mind a little wiggle, but the one that came with the rifle wiggles a bit too much and is a little uncomfortable on my shoulder w/ the hard plastic stipling. That being said I wouldn't want to do away with the adjustable length of pull. Ok. Going out to look for a commercial stock to match my tube this weekend, And don't let the bolt slam forward w/o a round in the chamber "excessively". Gotcha!

SocomM4
06-14-2012, 9:31 PM
Just about all manufacturers make their stocks in both sizes.

The CTR has a lock that eliminates wobble.

Carrier slamming home isn't going to hurt anything.

If your looking for a stock, look in the clearance section of major manufacturers website to find a deal. I saw vltor imod stocks for 37 bucks at one of the suppliers recently. The EMOD is what I use and I love it. I had a CTR and I like the check rest alot more on the EMOD .

TNP'R
06-14-2012, 9:49 PM
Vltor IMOD is what I have on my bushy. I like it.

Jazeronthelaser
06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys. I may end up going with the Emod. Pretty much what I was looking for. Hopefully I can get my hands on one at ammo bros. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

anymoose
06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Already been said, but ill add to it -

1- you can let the bolt slam forward with or without a round all that you want, we did it boot camp countless times while drilling, and the gun worked fine

2- just make sure the tube and stock match - i have a magpul STR which i love, they worth taking a look at.

Wraithsurf
06-15-2012, 7:15 AM
I've seen a few gun stores around my area that only seem to carry the stocks in the mil-spec variety, though they can order a commercial version for you.

Good luck!

deviljon
06-15-2012, 7:39 AM
Just about all manufacturers make their stocks in both sizes.

The CTR has a lock that eliminates wobble.

Carrier slamming home isn't going to hurt anything.

If your looking for a stock, look in the clearance section of major manufacturers website to find a deal. I saw vltor imod stocks for 37 bucks at one of the suppliers recently. The EMOD is what I use and I love it. I had a CTR and I like the check rest alot more on the EMOD .

Please share where, I've been looking for an imod!

And for the OP, your carrier will be fine. Also, a commercial spec doesn't necessarily mean it wiggles more than a mil-spec stock. My commercial spec CTR stock wiggled way less than my Mil-spec ACS stock, even after I did the mod to tighten them up. Just sayin'.

Jazeronthelaser
06-15-2012, 8:01 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information fellas!!

calishine
06-15-2012, 8:45 PM
Thanks for all the helpful information fellas!!

2. Been answered well by others

1. Don't slam the BCG shut without a round in the chamber. True, there is no immediate damage or danger to the rifle, but you're not doing the rifle any favors either.
As it is, the bolt lugs on your bolt take lots of abuse, don't give the bolt any unnecessary abuse. The system was designed to have a round buffer the impact.

TNP'R
06-15-2012, 9:02 PM
Please share where, I've been looking for an imod!

And for the OP, your carrier will be fine. Also, a commercial spec doesn't necessarily mean it wiggles more than a mil-spec stock. My commercial spec CTR stock wiggled way less than my Mil-spec ACS stock, even after I did the mod to tighten them up. Just sayin'.

Don't know where he seen them for 37 bucks but I got my IMOD from http://www.skdtac.com I shop with skd a lot. they have fast shipping. Order it before 1pm eastern time ( I think they are on eastern time) and they'll ship it same day and some times like 15 minutes after you order.

Chaos47
06-15-2012, 9:08 PM
1 its fine
2 get a milspec tube and a milspec stock, you can use the same buffer and spring