PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto State or SW M&P?

SparkYZ
06-14-2012, 5:15 PM
Hey guys, I almost bought an AR today...
There were two similarly priced ARs, one was Palmetto State and one was a Smith M&P15..

I dont know much about Palmetto, the M&P felt nice, however I'm kinda turned off from Smith and Wesson due to some issues with some other firearms of theirs (Not in the AR family)

I want something tough and durable, as a Colt is just too damn hard to get.

So what's a goods "battle rifle", or reliable for when TSHTF?

They also had a JP, Bushmaster, Ruger, and Lewis there at the store

Anyone know anything about the Ruger SR556?

Munny$hot
06-14-2012, 5:23 PM
I assume your talking about complete rifles made by JP, LMT. Palmetto, etc and not just the lower with an unknown upper/parts. If that is the case I'd say LMT, Palmetto, JP, S&W, then Bushmaster on a personal preference. Since LMT supplies stuff for the military worldwide they would be my first choice and Palmetto second for best bang for the buck.

SparkYZ
06-14-2012, 5:28 PM
Yes, complete rifles. I want to buy a complete before the election (I know theres gonna be panic buying) and maybe buy a lower later and build one up slowly.

darmog
06-14-2012, 5:47 PM
Riflegear has Colt 6920s and 6940s in.

OIF0708
06-14-2012, 7:17 PM
I own the M&P, flawless so far through 4 years and thousands of nothing but Silver Bear and Golden Bear steel cased ammo. Never own or fired the others so i can't comment on them.

tonelar
06-14-2012, 7:28 PM
I would place the SW M&P above Palmetto in reliability as well as fit n finish.

Arkangel
06-14-2012, 7:46 PM
It seems either would be a good choice. In the end It's just personal preference, both PSA and S&W AR's get rave reviews on a regular basis.

Jazeronthelaser
06-14-2012, 7:55 PM
Just got the bushmaster xt-15 patrolman and I LOVE it.

SparkYZ
06-14-2012, 7:57 PM
Fit and finish are important, but not nearly as important as reliability. I take care of my weapons, but I want something that can live a rough life and perform (and no, I dont want an AK)

xpbprox
06-14-2012, 8:00 PM
M&P is good to go and so is psa. Cheapest ar I would go is the M&P sport. Spikes is also a great brand, about $950 OTD

tonelar
06-14-2012, 8:02 PM
I wanted a dependable AR that I could run in carbine courses etc. I ended up with a 14.5" Colt upper and (since this was back when a Colt lower would violate the Caliban) an SW M&P lower.

Munny$hot
06-14-2012, 8:07 PM
Fit and finish are important, but not nearly as important as reliability. I take care of my weapons, but I want something that can live a rough life and perform (and no, I dont want an AK)

Every one you listed will fit all your needs. Have no doubt S&W are tough rigs. I've examined the a base model that was a rental at a range. It was never/rarely cleaned, had green oozee leaking into the flash hider, had God knows how many rounds fired through it, functioned perfectly and fit together very tightly with no slop.

TheHammerOfTruth
06-14-2012, 8:29 PM
I would place the SW M&P above Palmetto in reliability as well as fit n finish.

I cant agree with you on this one. I was just looking at the same 2 today and of anything the PSA seemed nicer. JMHO
All in all any one that the OP listed would do well.

Dreaded Claymore
06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes, complete rifles. I want to buy a complete before the election (I know theres gonna be already is panic buying) and maybe buy a lower later and build one up slowly.

Fixed it for you.

Palmetto State Armory
06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Don't forget that our rifles also come with a lifetime warranty against defects.

jsipe007
06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Both are fantastic rifles, but I would say my personal preference is Palmetto State Armory. I have shot various M and P sports (never owned one) and the fit between upper and lower receiver is good but not nearly as good as my PSA. I also like having the dust cover (mainly for peice of mind). If you consider building a PSA, you can build one fairly inexpensively. Mines a PSA Dissy upper with HF chrome line barrel and it has been 100% reliable so far after about 1000 rounds. Not much of a long term test, I know, but I just finished the build about 4 days ago...

I know you said you were planning to purchase a complete rifle.They are very similar in price and both awesome, reliable guns. Go hold one of each and see which you like :) I built mine for a little under 800. It has a 12in MOE handguard and MOE grip and I love the weight and feel of my rifle.

Lifeon2whls
06-15-2012, 2:38 PM
Don't forget that our rifles also come with a lifetime warranty against defects.

So does the S&W.

I looked at both and ended up with the MP15 Sport. Awesome rifle and I haven't seen a bad review out there...actually I havent seen one that doesn't rave about the rifle, especially at a sub 700 price point (mine was 650).

PSA was also on my list but I just happened to find the Sport in stock and picked it up.

You wont go wrong with either.

SparkYZ
06-15-2012, 8:11 PM
Got the PSA. With some nice magpul furniture.
$1170 OTD. Now for that killer ten day wait....I hate that wait....and I'm going to the range tomorrow! I'm gonna be sad