PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Rimfire Match Archive

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

gotthelife4u
08-09-2010, 4:55 PM
Quick question. What size paper are we to use, 8.5''x11'' or something bigger?

What Just Happened?
08-10-2010, 7:33 AM

The file says that it's is natively 8.5"x11".

abesh
08-11-2010, 7:20 AM

Regular 8.5''x11'' printer paper is what I use.

Good luck, and hope to see your target soon.

gotthelife4u
08-11-2010, 9:20 AM
Regular 8.5''x11'' printer paper is what I use.

Good luck, and hope to see your target soon.

ok thanks. I am going to try and get out this weekend to shoot.

berg
08-13-2010, 2:19 PM
berg, I count your score as at least 68, probably more. The third target in the second row sure looks like a six to me for certain, and there are several others that look like the white diamond got nicked!;)
Ok I guess I was being too conservative. So if I count the "nicks" it looks closer to a score of 72, wow that's better than I expected.

http://www.dragunov.net/images/augrimfirematch.jpg

RipVanWinkle
08-13-2010, 5:52 PM
Shot these targets yesterday. I did some trigger work on my Zastava Z5 .22 lr. since my previous shoots. Shot at 50 yards with Simmons 3x9x32 .22 mag. AO scope. Ammo was Winchester 333 bulk round nose. The gun seems to like this stuff better than some of the ammo in the previous matches.

When I went to post this I saw that we were supposed to take two shots at each diamond. Ouch..... I only took one shot at each! Must have still been thinking about the July match. When you get old the first thing to go are the legs, and I forget what the second thing is. But I did shoot two targets, and the cumulative score is 73. Works for me.:sleeping:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494400/Target1.jpg?952fbb89-f502-4def-be6a-a97292f08c38

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494400/Target2.jpg?2b9ce14f-cfac-4c02-a7d8-13f7e8e8704e

RipVanWinkle
08-13-2010, 6:10 PM
berg, I count your score as at least 68, probably more. The third target in the second row sure looks like a six to me for certain, and there are several others that look like the white diamond got nicked!;)

surfNshoot
08-13-2010, 6:48 PM
Wow Rip!! That is impressive with bulk ammo and a 3x9. Good shooting.

GreyMinotaur
08-14-2010, 1:24 PM
Ok I guess I was being too conservative. So if I count the "nicks" it looks closer to a score of 72, wow that's better than I expected.

http://www.dragunov.net/images/augrimfirematch.jpg

Berg,

If the lead marks of the bullet breaks the line, then it counts as a hit. Radial tears do not count. I calculated 74 points based on this. Good shooting!

GreyMinotaur
08-14-2010, 1:35 PM
I went out today to try my hand with the August Rimfire Match. Both targets were shot in the prone position at 50 yards with bipod and rear bag support. For the first time since I started shooting a year ago, I saw that my heart beats were causing the crosshairs to jump. I had a bit of fun shooting in between beats.

My first attempt:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4891467637_7b12846e6a_b.jpg
Note that the top upper left diamond was ALMOST the same hole! Total was 68 points.

My second attempt was worse at 62 points.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4891467651_40db32c9ee_b.jpg

All in all, I fired about 100 rounds of Wolf Match Target ammunition and then decided it was time to go home. It was getting hot, too.

Izzy43
08-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Shot two targets yesterday. Scores were 51 and 50. Savage Mk II BTVS using Federal Automatch @ 50 yds. Wind was light, temp around 80 degrees. Still struggling with the rifle, seems not to like any ammo that I use, lots of flyers. The Automatch seems to be the best so far. Tried Wolf MT, Aguila Target, Eley Target, RWS. All had worse results than the AM.

surfNshoot
08-18-2010, 7:38 PM
Izzy, I know what you mean about the flyers. My buddy and I have Savage TR's and have noticed the random flyers. My rifle has been getting better as I shoot it more. Just letting the barrel get dirty.

Here are my 25 and 50 yard groups I shot on Sunday.

50 yard gun/ammo: Savage TR with 16x SS scope. Bipod with rear bag. SK standard plus.

25 yard Gun/ammo: Mossberg 44us off front and rear bags. Fiocchi standard velocity.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_1358.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_1357.jpg

GreyMinotaur
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Shot two targets yesterday. Scores were 51 and 50. Savage Mk II BTVS using Federal Automatch @ 50 yds. Wind was light, temp around 80 degrees. Still struggling with the rifle, seems not to like any ammo that I use, lots of flyers. The Automatch seems to be the best so far. Tried Wolf MT, Aguila Target, Eley Target, RWS. All had worse results than the AM.

My Savage hated the Wolf Match Targets but shot alright with the Federal Gold Match. On the other hand, my friend's rifle hated all ammo except the cheap CCI's. Saved him a bunch of ammo money though.

Izzy43
08-19-2010, 4:37 PM
My Savage hated the Wolf Match Targets but shot alright with the Federal Gold Match. On the other hand, my friend's rifle hated all ammo except the cheap CCI's. Saved him a bunch of ammo money though.

Well I cleaned the *&^%$ out of the rifle, put a small washer between the action pillars and action bolts and slowly tightened the action bolts and all of a sudden hit the sweet spot and now she's shootin lights out with (wouldn't you know) Federal Bulk. Seems the rifle likes HV Hollow Point Ammo. Haven't shot new targets yet but will this coming Monday.

Ivanhoe
08-20-2010, 1:04 PM
Is there a scope setting (maximum) allowed at the 50yd distance?

Izzy43
08-20-2010, 1:45 PM
Don't think so. I use an 8-32x42 BSA Platinum Target scope. Still gotta make the shot with your heart beat moving the reticles.

Ivanhoe
08-20-2010, 1:53 PM
Thanks Izzy

GreyMinotaur
08-22-2010, 9:29 PM
Well I cleaned the *&^%$ out of the rifle, put a small washer between the action pillars and action bolts and slowly tightened the action bolts and all of a sudden hit the sweet spot and now she's shootin lights out with (wouldn't you know) Federal Bulk. Seems the rifle likes HV Hollow Point Ammo. Haven't shot new targets yet but will this coming Monday.

I know that type of frustration. My Anschutz (the one I used to shoot this target with) had loose stock screws. For 6 months, I never even thought about checking it. Some matches I did very good and other matches I did okay. The rifle always did poorly on paper but I made up the deficient with the steel targets. The lowest point was when I went to last place at one of Bill's matches. I was ready to throw the rifle out the window, onto the street, and let a truck run it over. Then my friend suggested checking the stock screws. I tighten them to 20 in-lb, after testing it at 15 in-lb. My groups tighten up to 0.5 inches at 50 yards just like that! Before, I was shooting not where I was aiming. It was frustrating as hell and there was no consistency to the madness enough for me to correct my shots when shooting paper.

Izzy43
08-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Shot another target this morning. Wind was up a little (5 MPH) but not gusting. Again shot with the Savage BTVS .22lr with Mueller 6.5-25x42 scope and Federal 375 Bulk. Discovered that there is a difference in the Federal 550 and 375 bulk ammo. The 550 groups were nearly twice the size of the 375. Probably common knowledge but in case someone doesn't know they are different rounds. Anyway score was 58 maybe even 60 but not sure about the center diamond, second row so scored it lower.

Now that the rifle is shooting great we need to work on the shooter's skills. At least the frustration is over. This rifle is SOOOOOOOOOOOO sensitive to the action screw torque it is unnerving but now a good shooter.

Next month (hate those 10 day waits) will have a new USSG (Zastava) Z5 in 22lr to shoot in the match. Will be interesting to see the difference from the Savage.

RipVanWinkle
08-23-2010, 4:37 PM
Hey Izzy, it looks like the upper hole on the first target in the fourth row clipped the white diamond as well. The profile of the white diamond is definitely altered at the top . Looks like a 60 or 62. Anyway that’s a pretty big improvement over your previous target.

Glad to hear you’re getting a Z5, I think you’ll really like it. The quality of the machining, bluing and finish on the metal is really outstanding; trigger guard housing machined from a solid piece of steel, etc. The bolt on mine was a little stiff at first, but worked in nicely before very long. The finish on the stock on mine is mediocre at best, but I plan to re-sand it and refinish it when I feel like it, not a big project. The trigger was really awful, but easily adjusted following instructions in this post at RimfireCentral:

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277567

Adjusting the trigger made a huge improvement in how well I can shoot the thing!

Extra magazines were available from Cabela’s for 3 for $25. Magazines say for Remington Model 5, same gun in an earlier incarnation.

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20807&id=0083765230383a&navCount=3&podId=0083765&parentId=cat20807&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Izzy43
08-23-2010, 6:03 PM
Hey Izzy, it looks like the upper hole on the first target in the fourth row clipped the white diamond as well. The profile of the white diamond is definitely altered at the top . Looks like a 60 or 62. Anyway that’s a pretty big improvement over your previous target.

Glad to hear you’re getting a Z5, I think you’ll really like it. The quality of the machining, bluing and finish on the metal is really outstanding; trigger guard housing machined from a solid piece of steel, etc. The bolt on mine was a little stiff at first, but worked in nicely before very long. The finish on the stock on mine is mediocre at best, but I plan to re-sand it and refinish it when I feel like it, not a big project. The trigger was really awful, but easily adjusted following instructions in this post at RimfireCentral:

www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277567

Adjusting the trigger made a huge improvement in how well I can shoot the thing!

Extra magazines were available from Cabela’s for 3 for $25. Magazines say for Remington Model 5, same gun in an earlier incarnation.

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20807&id=0083765230383a&navCount=3&podId=0083765&parentId=cat20807&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I pretty excited about the Z5 having read a lot of good reviews on it and the Remington Model 7. Near CZ accuracy if one can believe the posts on RFC. Thanks for the look at my latest target. Sometimes I can't tell if the round really hit the white on just pushed the paper down. In any case I am really happy about how the Savage is now shooting. Nearly all the misses I could have called before they hit the target. I think there were only two flyers due to the ammo. Pretty good for bulk ammo out of 30 rounds.

I have a friend at the range that is also shooting the Federal 375 bulk and he shot some great groups by selecting the rounds by measuring the diameter of the bullets. Think I'll try that. Thanks for the info on the magazines, just ordered three. Have seem them as high as $35 each, YIKES!

ego 08
08-24-2010, 8:11 AM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/BRJ1957/AUGUSTTGT.jpg

Went out this morning before the wind came up, Shot this with my Volquartsen Fusion, 50 yds, prone on a shooting mat, Harris bi-pod and rear bag support. WOLF Match ammo

Izzy43
08-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Went out this morning before the wind came up, Shot this with my Volquartsen Fusion, 50 yds, prone on a shooting mat, Harris bi-pod and rear bag support. WOLF Match ammo

Nice shooting, only 8 from perfection!

dwh100
08-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Holy Bazookas! Ats um shootin'!

RipVanWinkle
08-24-2010, 1:42 PM
Went out this morning before the wind came up, Shot this with my Volquartsen Fusion, 50 yds, prone on a shooting mat, Harris bi-pod and rear bag support. WOLF Match ammo[/QUOTE]

82!!! Beautiful!!

ego 08
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
82!!! Beautiful!![/QUOTE]

Thanks, The trick is to hold the target just far enough from the barrel so you dont get powder burns on it......Just Kidding. The Volquartsen uses 10/22 mags so loaded 5 of them, this way if i'm shooting good on the first couple of targets i hurry and shoot as fast as i can before the wind comes up.

Izzy43
08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
82!!! Beautiful!!

Thanks, The trick is to hold the target just far enough from the barrel so you dont get powder burns on it.......[/QUOTE]

I tried that and shot my $%*&@ finger off.

GreyMinotaur
08-25-2010, 8:11 PM

I think that far right diamond, second row up, is a hit into the white. So, the total points should be 84.

abesh
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Wow! You guys have been busy haven’t you?

I see a lot of great targets, and can sense the amount of frustration involved. Every time I leave for the range I think “today is the day I am going to clean the targets” – ya right!!

Oh well, I guess that is all part of the fun. I hope to go at this target once more before the end of the month and I am positive that I will clean the target.:rofl2:

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Augtarget3.jpg

Izzy43
08-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Nice shooting Abesh! As I have seen before you are a pretty good shooter and your 70 makes me feel really good about my 60. Good luck on cleaning a target, YOU CAN DO IT!!

BrianRodela
08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Well, here's today. When the breeze came up I soon found out how tough this really is!!! LOL!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/coastermek/IMG_0001.jpg

abesh
08-27-2010, 1:10 PM
Why thank you Izzy.
I am still working on the details of using a scope, like I noticed that I have to pay extra attention to my cheek-weld before each shot to ensure it is in the same position; this was not as much of a problem using iron sights. Also, it is tricky trying to shoot when there are the mirage wave things messing with my sight picture – makes me appreciate the skill levels of long distance precision shooters.
And like Brian mentioned the BREEZE!!! I have got to remember to take some light weight tape/ribbon so I can see what the breeze is doing near the target area.

Anyways … last weekend of the month, so make the most of it.

Izzy43
08-27-2010, 1:39 PM
Well, here's today. When the breeze came up I soon found out how tough this really is!!! LOL!

That's good shootin, especially with a 3-9x scope.

RipVanWinkle
08-27-2010, 2:51 PM
I see a lot of great targets, and can sense the amount of frustration involved. Every time I leave for the range I think “today is the day I am going to clean the targets” – ya right!!

Hey, abesh, I had the same idea yesterday. But I got worse!:confused:

Same gun, Z 5, 3x9 scope, same ammo, 333 Winchester (it's hollow point, not round nose as I stated earlier).

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494400/Target3.JPG?23dbc950-a6ed-41b6-aafa-497041b480b3

And worse:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494400/Target4.JPG?ebe547b3-0877-467f-9234-85673d4ac2c1

But a fellow shooter gave me some Federal 510 to try out. I didn't have enough of it to shoot a whole target, but I shot five 5-shot groups quickly before I left. No zeroing, and it shot amazingly close to the Winchester 333. A couple of clicks left and down and it would be right on. Looks like it would be worth a try - if I could find any, that is.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494400/Federal510.JPG?2d60f88e-a4c6-4d93-a5da-f1e32c80b37d

Good shooting, Brian!! What gun were you shooting?

BrianRodela
08-27-2010, 4:15 PM
Thanks! My flyswatter! T-rex stock, Hornet trigger group, VQ THM barrel and plenty other fixins!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/coastermek/DSCN2313.jpg

Izzy43
08-27-2010, 4:52 PM
Hey, abesh, I had the same idea yesterday. But I got worse!:confused:

Same gun, Z 5, 3x9 scope, same ammo, 333 Winchester (it's hollow point, not round nose as I stated earlier).

Still pretty good. Glad to see you shot a Z5. I have one in jail at the Last Stand Gunshop in Temecula until Sept 3 and anxiously waiting to shoot it. She's a beauty. Read a lot about bad finish on the stocks but this one is kinda pretty. Gonna try a buttload of different ammo to see what shoots best. Will let you know the results. She'll be wearing a 8-32x44mm AO scope so I'll get the BIG picture.

abesh
08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Went to the range today – definitely did not clean a target:rolleyes:, although on one of my target all my shots were landing just in the black till the fifth to last where it was dead center in the white. I was pissed; it would have been cool to have a “perfect 30” with none of the shots breaking the white.

Shot 3 sheets, but none of them are even worth the effort of scanning them.
Can’t wait for September’s target as that will probably be the last target I have time to shoot for a while (school starts 20 Sep).

Cool looking rifle Brian

Izzy43
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/coastermek/IMG_0001.jpg

Maybe its my old eyes but the 2nd row, left target looks like a 6 and the 4th row right target looks like it may also be a six for an additional 4 points on your score. Good shootin in any case.

Izzy43
08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Went to the range this morning for one last attempt at this month's target. A little breezy but the 50 yard range is kind of shielded from the wind so probably not much effect (or excuse). Decided to try some different ammo all of which didn't seem to group very well so decided it wasn't worth the ammo to shoot a target.

Last ammo was two boxes of Wolf MT. Still had problems grouping after the first box but decided to shoot a target anyway when I was down to my last 30 rounds. Wasn't shooting too good until I got to the last two rows and then all of a sudden I had 5-6's and 1-4. Guess the barrel final got seasoned with this ammo. What a difference or maybe just a fluke. No more Wolf so ordered 4 bricks for September's match. Time will tell if this is THE AMMO for this finicky rifle.

Best price on the Wolf was here: http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/22LR-Ammo-40gr-Wolf-Match-Target-500-Round-Box.html

dwh100
08-31-2010, 4:42 PM
Congratulations to ego 08 for his phenomenal score of 82 points in the August Match! Great Job!:eek:

Some fine shooting by many of you folks! Keep it up!
__________________________________________________ _______________
The September Match has 3 targets from which to choose!
Print each target @ 100%

50 yd with scopes
25 yd with irons or reddots

Elite 50 yd target:
http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting/info/targets/rimfirecentral50yardpistolmatch.pdf
Take 1 shot at each of the 15 targets
All rows- Black circle scores 3pts, 1st inner ring scores 2pts,
2nd and last row-2nd outer ring scores 1pt

Not so Elite 50 yd target:
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/15%20Med%20Circles.pdf
Take 1 shot at each of the 15 targets
Black ring scores 1 pt
white circle scores 2 pt

25 yd target:
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/900%20MiniPalma.pdf
Take 10 shots
x scores 12

Add up your scores, write the totals circled at the top of your paper, please!
Post your targets for bragging rights!

Good Luck, Have Fun, and post them targets!

Izzy43
08-31-2010, 4:47 PM
More congrats to ego 08! Very nice shootin!!!!:cool2:

surfNshoot
08-31-2010, 5:00 PM
What?? no 25 yard winner??:toetap05:

rojocorsa
08-31-2010, 5:17 PM
Now that I'll buy a .22---I'd like to try one of these for fun; I'm only a novice.

From what position is one supposed to shoot?

Izzy43
08-31-2010, 5:23 PM
Now that I'll buy a .22---I'd like to try one of these for fun; I'm only a novice.

Don't think there is a required position. I shoot from a bench with a front and rear bag. Just gotta be a rimfire weapon, scope for 50yds, iron sights or red dot for 25yds.

rojocorsa
08-31-2010, 5:49 PM
So it's pretty open-ended, huh....

dwh100
08-31-2010, 6:04 PM
What?? no 25 yard winner??:toetap05:

surfNshoot,
When I post one target, I, usually, look for top score and post that score. Your score of 72 from 25 yds with peeps was very outstanding! However, with all due respect, I post these matches for fun, and try to keep it simple. Without making a bunch of excuses, when I post one target, I (usually) won't be going through each post at the end of the month to find out the distance each target was shot! I hope you understand! September, I will post a winner for each of the 3 targets!
Cheers!

dwh100
08-31-2010, 6:08 PM

It seems like everytime I make a position requirement for the match, somebody inevitably gets bent a bit out of shape, and participation suffers, so I ,usually, just leave it up to the shooter. Your participation would be appreciated!

surfNshoot
08-31-2010, 9:01 PM
surfNshoot,
When I post one target, I, usually, look for top score and post that score. Your score of 72 from 25 yds with peeps was very outstanding! However, with all due respect, I post these matches for fun, and try to keep it simple. Without making a bunch of excuses, when I post one target, I (usually) won't be going through each post at the end of the month to find out the distance each target was shot! I hope you understand! September, I will post a winner for each of the 3 targets!
Cheers!

Hahahaha... No explanation necessary. I was just publicly patting myself on the back. But since you brought up great shooting. I’ll take this time to thank Mossberg and Fiocchi ammo. Without them this could never happen. I would also like to put out a great thanks to Angeles Shooting Range. Great place to shoot. Hope to see you all out there!!! Cheers:rofl2:

rojocorsa
08-31-2010, 10:32 PM
It seems like everytime I make a position requirement for the match, somebody inevitably gets bent a bit out of shape, and participation suffers, so I ,usually, just leave it up to the shooter. Your participation would be appreciated!

No problem. I'll admit that I'd be novice, but I would definitely try this for fun. I'll be shooting with a CZ-452 Trainer (once I get it, that is) but the only problem is that my range's closest berm is at 50yds---and I will be shooting with the CZs awesome irons. Should I just ignore that and try to have fun with it and improve my skill?

Izzy43
09-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Shoot both 50 yd targets today. There was about a 5-10mph crosswind at the range but pretty easy to compensate as it was fairly steady. Shot both targets with a Marlin 925M, .22wmr with a BSA Platinum 8-32x42mm Target dot scope. Learned a little about the rifle. As the barrel heated up the POI lowered about 1/2" or so but then stayed steady. Next time I'll heat it up before I begin shooting the targets. Might improve. Those 22 Mags heat up the barrel quite a bit.

The non-Elite target score was 52 and the Elite was 23. The Elite target is a good challange for me.

regalado1
09-01-2010, 1:21 PM
Can't wait to pick up my new .22 so I can participate in this. Should start the paperwork this Friday...I hope it's in by then. Sounds like fun.

dwh100
09-01-2010, 2:46 PM
Shoot both 50 yd targets today. There was about a 5-10mph crosswind at the range but pretty easy to compensate as it was fairly steady. Shot both targets with a Marlin 925M, .22wmr with a BSA Platinum 8-32x42mm Target dot scope. Learned a little about the rifle. As the barrel heated up the POI lowered about 1/2" or so but then stayed steady. Next time I'll heat it up before I begin shooting the targets. Might improve. Those 22 Mags heat up the barrel quite a bit.

The non-Elite target score was 52 and the Elite was 23. The Elite target is a good challange for me.

Izzy,
Remember just one shot per target (15 shots) on the 50 yrd targets!
Max score on Not so Elite target is 30 pts!
Max score on Elite target is 45 pts!
My CZ will change POI when warmed up too! I like to shoot a mag or 2 before hitting a target!

Izzy43
09-01-2010, 3:38 PM
Geez! can I read or what. To think I read the post on the targets three times and still screwed it up. Gonna shoot a lot more of the targets anyway. Thanks for putting me straight. I may have to hire a nanny to keep me in line.

RipVanWinkle
09-02-2010, 5:59 AM
Geez! can I read or what. To think I read the post on the targets three times and still screwed it up. Gonna shoot a lot more of the targets anyway. Thanks for putting me straight. I may have to hire a nanny to keep me in line.

Hah, so I'm not the only one who falls prey to the #of shots switcheroo! Fortunately we have modern statistics to get a post hoc estimate of your true score. The mean score: 52/2 = 26 out of 30 points. The median score: Best possible case = 29 points, worst possible case case = 23 points, median (score above or below which 50% of the possible cases fall) = 26 points. Most likely true score = 26 points.;)

Izzy43
09-02-2010, 3:41 PM
Hah, so I'm not the only one who falls prey to the #of shots switcheroo! Fortunately we have modern statistics to get a post hoc estimate of your true score. The mean score: 52/2 = 26 out of 30 points. The median score: Best possible case = 29 points, worst possible case case = 23 points, median (score above or below which 50% of the possible cases fall) = 26 points. Most likely true score = 26 points.;)

So if I get this right I think the true formula is:

Most likely true score = 26 x [two shots taken when only one is allowed]= Target is voided. :7:

ego 08
09-03-2010, 7:47 AM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/BRJ1957/Sept-Fusion.jpg

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/BRJ1957/Sept-Annie.jpg

Went out this morning @ 6:30am, perfect conditions, cool and No wind. Shot one target with the Fusion, the other with my Annie 64 Bolt rifle. There wasnt any talk about the 5 shot group but thought i would shoot it.

abesh
09-03-2010, 7:49 AM
Good job ego 08.
Izzy, don't feel too bad; I did something similar a few months back and realized it after I came home and started to score my targets. Now I double check the number of shots listed in the first post right before I leave the house, and I am sure you will do the same.

I went to the range yesterday with 2 each of the 50 yard targets, 4 of the 25 yard target, and my Brno model 3 and 4.
After shooting scope for a while, shooting iron sights was fun. I could not help but think how much movement there probably is, even though it appears that my sights are steady.
I shot 3 of the bull targets at 25 yards. Here is the best one

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget3.jpg

By the way, did I score that right??? :confused:

Here are the other 2

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget4.jpg

I decided to try a target at 50 yards too. I changed the elevation only, and you can see how the wind blew it a bit to the right. My range has a opening in the side berm between 25 and 50 yards and the wind does weird things due to this.
http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget5.jpg

This bull was big enough to where it was sometimes hard to focus on the front sight (both being almost the same shade of black), so I put a tiny whit dot on the front sight post. I cannot wait to go try it out and see if it makes a difference.

Oh and here is my best of the 50 yard targets.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget2.jpg

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget1.jpg

abesh
09-03-2010, 8:01 AM
That is great that your range lets you shoot so early ego 08. My range does not allow shooting before 9 am.
And that Fusion is amazingly accurate especially for a semi auto; well worth whatever you paid for it.

mif_slim
09-03-2010, 8:12 AM
Oh and here is my best of the 50 yard targets.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm364/abesh84/RF%20matches/Septarget2.jpg

Your second row top target, its a 3. You broke the line.

abesh
09-03-2010, 8:58 AM
Thanks mif, I had a hard time calling that. The tear goes into the black, but the black outline of the bullet does not. I figured since I made a close call on the other target, I would stay on the safe side with this one.
But I have 2 weeks before school starts, so I hope to definitely improve my score – who knows, maybe even have a perfect score :rofl2:

abesh
09-03-2010, 8:59 AM
Double post for some reason.

ego 08
09-03-2010, 2:33 PM
That is great that your range lets you shoot so early ego 08. My range does not allow shooting before 9 am.
And that Fusion is amazingly accurate especially for a semi auto; well worth whatever you paid for it.

I have a Spot 5 minutes from the house in the High desert here, plus i have a Key to the Range but it's 20 min.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-03-2010, 5:47 PM
may have my 1st entry after this weekend. just depends ont he weather.

dwh100
09-11-2010, 9:08 PM
TTT

yelohamr
09-14-2010, 1:08 PM
Got a new 1:9 barrel for my 30 year old 10-22. Went to an indoor range to zero my Leaper red/green dot.
Only took one of these targets with me. So this is my score of 107.
Zeroed again after this.

Izzy43
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Shot the non-elite target today at the range. No wind, low 80s. Nice day for shooting. Shot the NEW Zastava Z5 22lr with Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical scope using Federal Automatch ammo. Rifle performed great after some trigger and magazine work. Bolt still a little stiff but getting better the more I shoot it. Score was 27, should have been a clean target but I pulled three shots. Will try again to clean this target. Afterwards I shot some Aguila Match Target (Blue/Gold Box) and the rifle really likes it but I didn't have enough to shoot another target, next time will try this ammo.

kgcabs
09-17-2010, 5:58 PM
Brno model 4. Remington Target. 25 yards. 10 shots. Peeps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kgcabs/100_2290.jpg

A target I could see!

Thanks, Karl

Izzy43
09-17-2010, 6:08 PM
Yikes, great shooting kgcabs. You have set the bar high.

surfNshoot
09-19-2010, 7:34 PM
I'll go ahead and take my 120 on this one. my buddy usmcchet9296 shot perfect today too. I told him first to post wins. I WIN!!!

Mossberg 44us .22lr
Fiocchi standard velocity
bag in front and back

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0059.jpg

kgcabs
09-19-2010, 8:19 PM
I'll go ahead and take my 120 on this one. my buddy usmcchet9296 shot perfect today too. I told him first to post wins. I WIN!!!

Mossberg 44us .22lr
bag in front and back

Nice!

usmcchet9296
09-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Damn Surf-n-shoot I should have uploaded my shots from my phone
Anyway here are mine
These were shot from a CMP Mossberg M44 at 25 yards with Aguila match rifle 40Gr LRN
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5009249530_e746662cb1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5009249530/)
IMG_0318 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5009249530/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5009250458_bc3c8a9b4c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5009250458/)
IMG_0322 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5009250458/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

I shot my Savage @50 but it was crap. Im not sure what is going on with that rifle and till I can figure it out I'll just post my Mossy shots

Izzy43
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Mossberg 44us .22lr
bag in front and back

OK, you are banned from shooting these matches. :rofl2: Just kidding! Great shooting. I have tried this target twice and my 60+ year old nerves just are not up to it. I admire anyone who can shoot like this with iron sights.

surfNshoot
09-21-2010, 7:07 PM
OK, you are banned from shooting these matches. :rofl2: Just kidding! Great shooting. I have tried this target twice and my 60+ year old nerves just are not up to it. I admire anyone who can shoot like this with iron sights.

Thank you. Now if only I can get my Savage to put it right where I'm aiming for the 50 yard. This Mossberg is the best $195 I've ever spent.

Izzy43
09-22-2010, 1:55 PM
I have a Savage MKII BTVS and the only ammo that it will shoot accurately and reliably is Wolf Match Target, even better than Wolf Match Extra. The action screws were the key to getting my to shoot properly. Took me about 6 months to figure that out. One quarter turn past "snug". With the amount of money I spent on ammo to figure this out I could have bought two more rifles.

pisarski
09-26-2010, 1:42 PM
shot at 9: am on 9/26/10 did ok not my besthttp://i53.tinypic.com/raz0g4.jpg

RipVanWinkle
09-28-2010, 11:57 AM
As usual nobody's in any danger from me! I've been itching to shoot this, but I've been hung up working on my car. First up is the Not Elite target at 50 yards, Zastava Z5, Simmons 22 mag. 3-9X x 32 mm. AO scope, Winchester 333 bulk ammo, Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest, gravel bag rear rest. I shot four of these targets with this ammo and scored 28 on all of them. I just couldn't run the target, always one flier or another.:( Anyway, this is representative of the rest. I think this target is more difficult than it appears because it lacks the crosshair aligning lines as found on the Elite target.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494865/NotElite333.jpg?045aa481-8383-4db9-adb0-795c57cb4941

I shot the Elite target with the same Winchester 333 ammo for 34 points. That middle one in the second row was a heartbreaker.:eek:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494865/Elite333.jpg?b75f22c4-7b16-41a5-9154-c03c071287c2

I tried out some Aguila Hyper Velocity 30 gr. hollow points that I brought along, just to see how they would do in this situation. I only scored 23 on the Not Elite target, but I was pushing my shots because I had to leave pretty soon, and the two fliers were called fliers. Based on the sighting in that I did I think this ammo is more accurate than is reflected in this target and is worth investigating farther. They definitely go off with a whack, and at the nominal 1750 fps and 204 lb-ft muzzle energy would be a devastating small varmint round if they are accurate out to 100 yards or so.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494865/NotEliteAguila.jpg?021d56d2-a9a6-49bf-ba27-bbb953b4b909

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494865/AguilaHyper.jpg?21710ddf-fcbb-4815-9d1c-f3dddae2c374

Izzy43
09-28-2010, 1:54 PM
I think I have shot at least 12 of the non-elite targets and almost every &^%$ time I get a 28. Just can't seem to clean it. Tried with my Z5 and Savage MKII with Wolf MT and just get two that won't hit the white. Target is hexed.

RipVanWinkle
09-28-2010, 2:30 PM
I think I have shot at least 12 of the non-elite targets and almost every &^%$ time I get a 28. Just can't seem to clean it. Tried with my Z5 and Savage MKII with Wolf MT and just get two that won't hit the white. Target is hexed.

Hah! I was going to post the one where I shot 14 white centers and put one shot outside the black. Every time I looked at it my blood would boil. I shredded it.:cuss:

pisarski
09-28-2010, 4:38 PM
now thats funny

dwh100
09-30-2010, 3:43 PM
Congratulations go out to all who participated in the September match, especially:

Elite 50 yd Target
ego 08 scored 42

Not So Elite Target
Abesh and Izzy43 both scored 28

25 yd Target
SurfNshoot and usmcchet9296 both scored perfect 120s

Great shootin'!!!!!!!!:yes:

__________________________________________________ _____________
October Match
Print all targets at 100%

Elite Target 50 Yds scoped
http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting/info/targets/rimfirecentral9block.pdf
Sight in 3 shots
Shoot only 1 shot at each of 9 targets
Dot = 10pts
Circle = 8 pts
Box = 6 pts

Not So Elite Target 50 yds scoped
http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting/info/targets/loaddevelopment.pdf
Shoot 5 shots at each of 3 targets
Black dot = 10 pts
Inner circle = 9 pts
Next = 8 pts
Next = 7 pts
Next = 6 pts

Irons/reddot target 25 yd
http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting/info/targets/midwayrifle.pdf
Shoot 3 shots at each of 4 targets
Central circle = 10 pts
Inner ring = 9 pts
Next = 8 pts
next = 7 pts

Choose a target/ Shoot/ Add up all scores/ PLEASE write and circle the total at top/ post your targets

Winners earn braggin' rights!
Enjoy, and good luck!

Izzy43
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Range was pretty wet today, medium drizzle but no wind. Shot 2 Non-Elite Targets and one Elite.

First non-elite target shot with Savage BTVS with Mueller APV scope and Wolf Match Target ammo, score 137.

Second non-elite target shot with Zastava Z5 with Mueller Tactical (8.8-25x44) scope and Federal Automatch ammo, score 135.

The Elite target was shot with the Z5 and Federal Automatch, same scope as before, score 66.

While the Savage outshot the Z5 I wanted to post both targets as a comparison for these two rifles. I think the Z5 may eventually outshoot the Savage.

Room for improvement on all targets.

usmcchet9296
10-04-2010, 5:40 PM
Well here is my first batch
today was a great day to shoot
it was light drizzel with no wind what so ever
Ever since a got my Savage TR I have had an issue with the first cold bore shot.
It was always a flyer anywhere from an inch to 4 inches
after researching it online the most common fix is a good cleaning
apparently lead builds up at the front of the barrel and when cold the first round is affected
Now I clean my guns but not inspection clean and generally I have learned that semi-dirty 22's actually shoot better so this rifle is not me friendly
Anyway here are my shots
Elite target
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5053050844_bb414c7892.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050844/)10-4-2010 (4) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050844/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr
Not so Elite
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5053050650_a6f4b51149.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050650/)10-4-2010 (2) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050650/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5052430763_2e4f41ef80.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5052430763/)10-4-2010 (6) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5052430763/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

Last up is my 25 yard iron sights
Mossberg and yes the one round did break the black
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5053050268_a273b61938.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050268/)10-4-2010 (5) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050268/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr
last is my Henry Frontier with Taurus Tang sights
wasnt really trying to compete with this but for a plinker its not bad
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5053050062_2461f15638.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050062/)10-4-2010 (3) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5053050062/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

usmcchet9296
10-04-2010, 6:10 PM
Its looks like my not-so-elite is wrong
It should have been 5 shots
Oh well there is always next time

Izzy43
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Shot again today, looking for that clean Non-Elite target. Didn't quite get there but improving. Shot with the Savage, APV Scope and Wolf MT. Score 144. Rifle is shooting extremely well. Shot the Zastava as well but fell a little short, score of 143 or 142. One shot hard to score. Only posting the highest score.

usmcchet9296
10-05-2010, 2:04 PM
Looks good Izzy. How did that first shot flyer issue do?

Izzy43
10-05-2010, 3:48 PM
Looks good Izzy. How did that first shot flyer issue do?

Actually it was a first 2 or 3 shot flyer that is now a 1 shot flyer. Think I'm just gonna accept that the rifle will do that. I sure can't get it any cleaner so its not that, although two things also happened. The rifle will now shoot some other ammo decently that it would not before and the group size with the Wolf MT shrunk as well. So some progress was made. I'll just shoot the first shot into the dirt and live with that.

Also I found that if I pull a dry patch through the barrel (using a Patch Worm) it seems to start out shooting its best right away. Gonna retire my Bore Snake in favor of the patch worm, cleans alot better and my wife hated it when I put the BoreSnake in the washer. The Patch Worm works for every caliber up to 12 ga and uses only 22 cal patches for everything. Neat item, works good and cheap.

RipVanWinkle
10-06-2010, 5:03 PM
Breaking my habit of waiting 'til the last minute, I got out to the range today to shoot the October targets. Same rig as always; Zastava Z5, Simmons 22 mag 3-9x 32mm AO scope, Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest, gravel bag rear, 50 yard range. First up is the Not So Elite target using Winchester 333 ammo. With about 1000 rounds through the Z5 the groups have tightened up considerably. At this point I can almost always tell if a shot is a flier, so the limiting factor for accuracy is me, not the gun. I shot 3 targets, scoring 141, 142, and 144. Best is shown.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/NotElite333.jpg?21240353-3f37-4bc0-8d78-1093bfa9d547

Then I shot 3 Elite targets with Winchester 333, scoring 74, 74, and 76. Again, best is shown.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/Elite333.jpg?256d46fd-a0f5-44a4-8f05-a28e479b8d18

I was talking with a friendly fellow shooter about .22 ammo and he offered me some Ruski target ammo that wouldn't function in his automatic pistol, and he suggested I give it a try; so I shot 2 more elite targets with it, scoring 72 and 74. Thanks Tom!

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/EliteRuski.jpg?ce187c69-6ccf-436a-93e8-faa252b632a1

It seemed to work pretty well, but it was given to him by another shooter and he didn't know where that person got it or anything else about the ammo. Does anyone recognize this stuff?

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/RuskiAmmo.jpg?4b04193c-ef6e-480c-94d0-0ed59fd66b69

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/RuskiAmmoBack.jpg?e9eee02d-61a8-45b4-aeb2-3bf25e118d85

http://img.att.net/photos/83/42037683/494965/RuskiAmmoEnd.jpg?711ce934-b5f8-406d-a8a5-dca9f83c8b2e

Izzy43
10-06-2010, 5:24 PM
I was talking with a friendly fellow shooter about .22 ammo and he offered me some Ruski target ammo that wouldn't function in his automatic pistol, and he suggested I give it a try; so I shot 2 more elite targets with it, scoring 72 and 74. Thanks Tom!

Does anyone recognize this stuff?

Only thing I could find. Maybe this is it in a new wrapper.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=335691

By the way, great shooting:83:

RipVanWinkle
10-06-2010, 7:15 PM
Only thing I could find. Maybe this is it in a new wrapper.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=335691

By the way, great shooting:83:

Hey, it's sold out, Izzy, but I think that's probably the same stuff, based on going to this website:

http://eng.kspz.ru/kspz/gunfactory/about/

There's a Vostok button there which leads.......nowhere. Oh well.....:rolleyes:

pisarski
10-10-2010, 2:50 PM
shot today with light wind

http://i53.tinypic.com/23igvix.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/29vn5z.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/73j67s.jpg

usmcchet9296
10-10-2010, 5:35 PM
Well it was sure windy today at ASR but me and Surf-n-shoot did try our luck at the October match and this is what I pulled off
Elite 50 yards best group
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5069538097_b308bfcc53.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5069538097/)IMG_0330 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5069538097/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr
I shot this when the wind was at the worst so its not a great score but under the circumstances it was pretty good
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5069538541_a6b0dcb9fc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5069538541/)IMG_0331 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5069538541/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr
Already cleared the 25 yard targets on Wed but may post the results of some of my other guns at that range later.

surfNshoot
10-10-2010, 8:30 PM
shot today with light wind

Very Impressive!!!! I'm going to see if my mod 60 can even come close to this. I doubt it.

surfNshoot
10-11-2010, 6:12 PM
Here is my 25 yard target. I wasn't doing so well at 50 yards. I'll try again.

Mossberg 44us
SK standard plus
peep sights

Score: Cleaned 120

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0079.jpg

Izzy43
10-12-2010, 1:31 PM
Nice shooting, SurfNshoot. Competition is getting tight. Can I borrow that Mossy 44US? Just for a couple of months.:laugh: I've tried the 25 yd target with irons and red dot on my Zastava Z5 and can't hit diddly and its not the rifle.

surfNshoot
10-17-2010, 3:58 PM
Finally!!!!!!! I get a day with no wind. It was cold and misty but it was a great day anyway. I really got this TR figured out today. I must say I even shocked myself.

Both shot with my Savage TR. SK standard plus ammo. SWFA SS 16x scope

Not so elite: 149 points. SOOO freaking close. last target second to the last shot. I held in a bad word.

Elite: 80 points.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/photo-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0081.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0082.jpg

surfNshoot
10-17-2010, 5:00 PM
Nice shooting, SurfNshoot. Competition is getting tight. Can I borrow that Mossy 44US? Just for a couple of months.:laugh: I've tried the 25 yd target with irons and red dot on my Zastava Z5 and can't hit diddly and its not the rifle.

HAHAHA. I must say these mossbergs are little gems.

usmcchet9296
10-17-2010, 5:47 PM
Finally!!!!!!! I get a day with no wind. It was cold and misty but it was a great day anyway. I really got this TR figured out today. I must say I even shocked myself.

Both shot with my Savage TR. SK standard plus ammo. SWFA SS 16x scope

Not so elite: 149 points. SOOO freaking close. last target second to the last shot. I held in a bad word.

Elite: 80 points.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/photo-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0081.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/IMG_0082.jpg

It looks like a .22 ballpoint pen to me ....... :lol
Honestly SnS Im not liking you
Your making it hard for me to catch up

surfNshoot
10-18-2010, 8:33 AM
It looks like a .22 ballpoint pen to me ....... :lol
Honestly SnS Im not liking you
Your making it hard for me to catch up

HAHA. Last I remeber, you had the .22 ballpoint. You didn't think I was going to make it easy on you did you? Get out there and beat it. Shouldn't be much wind today either.

dwh100
10-23-2010, 9:43 AM
Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu....Bump!

dwh100
10-28-2010, 5:43 PM
Pumpkin day comin' up soon!

Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bump!!!!

dwh100
10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Congratulations for the October Rimfire Match go to:

Elite target-surfNshoot scored 80
Not So Elite target-surfNshoot scored 120
Irons target- usmcchet9296 and surfNshoot cleaned the target

Great shooting by everbody!:D
November Rimfire Match targets
print @ 100%

100yds scoped:
http://www.brightsights.com/target/BSI_bech_1inf_4.pdf
Take 5 shots

50 yds scoped:
http://www.brightsights.com/target/BSI_ben_1in_12.pdf
Take 1 shot at each of the 12 targets

25 yds irons reddots:
http://www.brightsights.com/target/BSI_ben_1in_2.pdf
Take 5 shots at each of the 2 target

Add up your scores and post the targets with total circled at the top PLEASE:D

Good Luck and have fun!

Izzy43
10-31-2010, 4:04 PM
SurfNshoot is that called a Trifecta? Congrats to the winners. Targets downloaded, shooting tomorrow. Still lookin for that clean target.

surfNshoot
10-31-2010, 7:11 PM
Izzy, You have no idea how bad I wanted all three!!! I was checking every day to see if I got beat. Good luck this month guys!!!!!

usmcchet9296
10-31-2010, 8:24 PM
Yeah Yeah S&S big deal ..... November buddy November

surfNshoot
10-31-2010, 9:38 PM
Yeah Yeah S&S big deal ..... November buddy November

hahaha. BITTER!

dwh100
10-31-2010, 9:43 PM
You guys got a score to settle this month?:boxing_smiley:
Good Luck to all!
I plan on getting a few targets shot over the holiday too!

surfNshoot
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
You guys got a score to settle this month?:boxing_smiley:
Good Luck to all!
I plan on getting a few targets shot over the holiday too!

DWH100, I was wondering when you were going to get in on your own competition. USMCCHET9296 and I have been shooting together for about 6 years. Yes, we get a little competitive.

Izzy43
11-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Shot today. Was pretty windy at the range, 10 mph and gusting so had to read the wind on all shots. Not bad at 50yds ad that range is protected by some trees and bushes. Different story @ 100 yds, that range is mostly wide open so tried to shoot in between gusts of wind.

Shot two rifles, the Savage BTVS @ 50 yds with Wolf Mt ammo and BSA 8-32x44 AO scope. Score 120, clean target. Second rilfe was Zastava Z5 @ 50 yds with Federal Automatch and Vortex 6-24x50 AO scope. Score 120, clean target. Savage shot the best but very, very happy with the Zastava.

Finally, shot the Zastava with Federal Automatch @ 100 yards, scoe 46. On the 100 yd target I scored the 1" ring as a 10 and the 2" ring as a 9. Hope that's the right way. Four in the 2" ring (two went in the same hole, all luck) and one in the 10 ring.

usmcchet9296
11-01-2010, 1:12 PM
Nice shooting Izzy... gonna go shooting next week ...See if my TR will actually shoot striaght. I see a Sako in my future

Izzy43
11-01-2010, 1:21 PM
Nice shooting Izzy... gonna go shooting next week ...See if my TR will actually shoot striaght. I see a Sako in my future

Thanks. Now to concentrate on the 100yd target to try to get some improvement. There was a CZ Ultra Lux in my future until the new water well that was being drilled on our property collapsed last Friday @ 500ft, now gotta drill again at additional cost. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Yikes!

dwh100
11-02-2010, 5:42 AM
DWH100, I was wondering when you were going to get in on your own competition. USMCCHET9296 and I have been shooting together for about 6 years. Yes, we get a little competitive.

Unfortunately, it takes an hour just to drive to a range to shoot. Weekends are full of chores, and work doesn't offer any escape. How's that for a bunch of excuses!:(

Nobody077
11-02-2010, 1:01 PM
Ok here comes a new guy question. Is it open to any rim fire round or limited to .22's ? I am trying to make the Burro turkey shoot and figured it would be a good time to shoot my .17hmr and new trigger work, so why not punch one of these targets.

Izzy43
11-02-2010, 1:10 PM
Ok here comes a new guy question. Is it open to any rim fire round or limited to .22's ? I am trying to make the Burro turkey shoot and figured it would be a good time to shoot my .17hmr and new trigger work, so why not punch one of these targets.

I don't run the matches but this question has come up before. The match is open to any rimfire ammo. 22, 22wmr, 17hm2, 17hmr and there are even some very old 35 cal rimfires. I use two 22lr and one 22WMR for shooting every month. Join us its fun and will improve your shooting skills, it has for me without a doubt.

nrakid88
11-02-2010, 8:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks opening this up to pistoleers would be fun? 15 Yard Targets?

Nobody077
11-03-2010, 7:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. My main reason for asking was I tried to do a rimfire silhouette match once and was told it was .22 short and long only, they dident like when I asked why it wasn't just called a .22 match.

surfNshoot
11-03-2010, 8:18 AM
Am I the only one who thinks opening this up to pistoleers would be fun? 15 Yard Targets?

Start one yourself in another thread. Post the target and I will play.

Izzy43
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Start one yourself in another thread. Post the target and I will play.

Me Too! I'll never do good by what the heck it will still be fun and got 6,000 rounds of Federal Bulk to shoot up.

dwh100
11-03-2010, 2:30 PM

Feel free to shoot these targets from 15yds or 25 yds with rimfire sidearms if you wish. Just post the distance and firearm used! Enjoy!

RipVanWinkle
11-03-2010, 3:35 PM
Hey, Izzy already aced the 50 yard target with two rifles! The competition's getting stiffer every month. :(

I took the Zastava Z5 out to my preferred range today. Also my wife accompanied me with her Ruger 10/22, just a standard plain jane 10/22 with wood stock and a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 mm scope. Conditions were nearly perfect, with no wind. I wanted to shoot the 100 yd target also, but this range doesn't allow .22 rimfire on the 100 yd range.

So, we shot the 50 yard targets. First, me shooting the Z5 with Remington 333 bulk ammo, which the gun seems to like:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/J150.jpg?0ad903dd-850b-4c9b-8096-a98ae3855714

Shot 120 on this one and another.

Next up is my wife's target. She shot CCI Blazer .22 ammo. Not the greatest score, 95, but in fairness to her it's a new gun to her, and she's still getting used to the mechanics of it. As a matter of fact, I'm a little uncomfortable with the 10/22, even though I used to have one. The slide lock/release is really awkward and the trigger is hellish heavy. Also she was using two plastic bags of aquarium gravel for a rest, whereas I was using a Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and bag rear rest. Finally, a shooter just upwind of her started shooting a black powder revolver when she was shooting her target. The smoke was so thick on the line that you could hardly make out the targets out there at 50 yds! You can see the effect in the two shots on the lower right.

O.K., enough of the excuses:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/C150.jpg?2694bca9-9318-4dd7-8b70-abbb0cc70f49

Oh, the shot in the black center on the left target, second row was shot by me. I was spotting for her and shooting my own target and I put one in there thinking I was shooting at my target. No more kibitzing for me!!:confused:

I noticed that the PDF of this target says 1" center, but it actually measures 7/8" in my printout.

Izzy43
11-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Took another try at the 100 yd target today. Shot the Zastava Z5 with Wolf Match Target. Wind was a little less today, maybe 5 MPH. Starting to really like the Z5 more and more. Score is 49 as I think the one shot int the 2" ring actually cut the black on the 1" ring. Let the judges decide, worst its a 48. Providing a close up pic for the judges.

Also tried the Z5 with Eley Sport but best I could do was a 47.

Come on lets see some more shooter's targets.

surfNshoot
11-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Took another try at the 100 yd target today. Shot the Zastava Z5 with Wolf Match Target. Wind was a little less today, maybe 5 MPH. Starting to really like the Z5 more and more. Score is 49 as I think the one shot int the 2" ring actually cut the black on the 1" ring. Let the judges decide, worst its a 48. Providing a close up pic for the judges.

Also tried the Z5 with Eley Sport but best I could do was a 47.

Come on lets see some more shooter's targets.

You broke it Izzy. Take your point.

Izzy43
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
You broke it Izzy. Take your point.

Point taken. Thanks for looking. These old eyes don't always see it correctly. Thank goodness for scopes or I couldn't shoot at all.

Izzy43
11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey, Izzy already aced the 50 yard target with two rifles! The competition's getting stiffer every month. :(

I took the Zastava Z5 out to my preferred range today. Also my wife accompanied me with her Ruger 10/22, just a standard plain jane 10/22 with wood stock and a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 mm scope. Conditions were nearly perfect, with no wind. I wanted to shoot the 100 yd target also, but this range doesn't allow .22 rimfire on the 100 yd range.

So, we shot the 50 yard targets. First, me shooting the Z5 with Remington 333 bulk ammo, which the gun seems to like:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/J150.jpg?0ad903dd-850b-4c9b-8096-a98ae3855714

Shot 120 on this one and another.

Next up is my wife's target. She shot CCI Blazer .22 ammo. Not the greatest score, 95, but in fairness to her it's a new gun to her, and she's still getting used to the mechanics of it. As a matter of fact, I'm a little uncomfortable with the 10/22, even though I used to have one. The slide lock/release is really awkward and the trigger is hellish heavy. Also she was using two plastic bags of aquarium gravel for a rest, whereas I was using a Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and bag rear rest. Finally, a shooter just upwind of her started shooting a black powder revolver when she was shooting her target. The smoke was so thick on the line that you could hardly make out the targets out there at 50 yds! You can see the effect in the two shots on the lower right.

O.K., enough of the excuses:

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/C150.jpg?2694bca9-9318-4dd7-8b70-abbb0cc70f49

Oh, the shot in the black center on the left target, second row was shot by me. I was spotting for her and shooting my own target and I put one in there thinking I was shooting at my target. No more kibitzing for me!!:confused:

I noticed that the PDF of this target says 1" center, but it actually measures 7/8" in my printout.

Nice shooting, now go for that 100yd target. I must have spent $50 in ammo just to get where I am on that 100yd one. Gonna try the Savage next to see if I can clean it. Love my Z5, best $300 I ever spent for a firearm.

yelohamr
11-09-2010, 1:24 PM
Indoor range @25 yds. Ruger 10/22; Aquila SuperMax Hyper Velocity.
On the bottom target, just barely hit the line in the 10 ring. Total 96.

Oops, sorry about the size, I'll work on it.

http://jewelryart.org/Guns/Nov-target.jpg

Boilermaker
11-09-2010, 8:06 PM
Hey guys been too busy since bout May to shoot the monthly but got out just last weekend with a set of the targets. Anyway was wondering what ya'll think bout squibs
I had a good string going on the 50yd and my sixth shot was a squib so it went low out
of the rings. Just wondering if I should just do it again on a clean target or take another shot and mark off the squib. Got about a 5% squib ratio in this brick.

surfNshoot
11-09-2010, 9:07 PM
Hey guys been too busy since bout May to shoot the monthly but got out just last weekend with a set of the targets. Anyway was wondering what ya'll think bout squibs
I had a good string going on the 50yd and my sixth shot was a squib so it went low out
of the rings. Just wondering if I should just do it again on a clean target or take another shot and mark off the squib. Got about a 5% squib ratio in this brick.

New target. We all get them. It's what makes this so challenging and fun.

RipVanWinkle
11-10-2010, 6:59 AM
Nice shooting, now go for that 100yd target. I must have spent $50 in ammo just to get where I am on that 100yd one. Gonna try the Savage next to see if I can clean it. Love my Z5, best $300 I ever spent for a firearm.

I'm hoping to get out and shoot the 100 yard target. The problem is the range closest to me won't let us shoot rimfire on the 100 yard range! That range is open every day and only costs me $9 to shoot because they give an old fart discount. The next closest range allows rimfire on the 100 yard range, but it's only open Friday through Monday, and they charge $14 to shoot. O.K., so I'm a cheap old skinflint, but I don't usually go to the more expensive and distant range unless I'm also going to work up loads for my centerfire guns and I can make a day of it.:(

I'm really pleased with my Z5 also. Fortunately it seems to like the Winchester 333 and some other bulk ammo. It keeps getting tighter groups the more I shoot it, or maybe I'm improving in my shooting skills (Huh, not likely!). Mine was $300 also, by the time all the ducats were rendered unto Caesar. Would you believe that it's the most expensive new gun I've ever bought? (Not adjusted for inflation, of course!):cool:

Anyway, you've been doing some great shooting on that 100 yard target. Just one shot away from perfection! I don't think I can match that, but we'll see.

RipVanWinkle
11-10-2010, 7:14 AM
New target. We all get them. It's what makes this so challenging and fun.

It's addicting!!!

RipVanWinkle
11-10-2010, 7:31 AM
Indoor range @25 yds. Ruger 10/22; Aquila SuperMax Hyper Velocity.
On the bottom target, just barely hit the line in the 10 ring. Total 96.

Oops, sorry about the size, I'll work on it.

That Aguila Hyper really goes off with a POP, doesn't it! I tried some and it was all over the place in my bolt action. That looks like some pretty good shooting based on my experience with it! Haven't tried it in my wife's 10/22 yet. Hmmmm.....

Izzy43
11-10-2010, 9:23 AM
I'm hoping to get out and shoot the 100 yard target. The problem is the range closest to me won't let us shoot rimfire on the 100 yard range! That range is open every day and only costs me $9 to shoot because they give an old fart discount. The next closest range allows rimfire on the 100 yard range, but it's only open Friday through Monday, and they charge $14 to shoot. O.K., so I'm a cheap old skinflint, but I don't usually go to the more expensive and distant range unless I'm also going to work up loads for my centerfire guns and I can make a day of it.:(

I'm really pleased with my Z5 also. Fortunately it seems to like the Winchester 333 and some other bulk ammo. It keeps getting tighter groups the more I shoot it, or maybe I'm improving in my shooting skills (Huh, not likely!). Mine was $300 also, by the time all the ducats were rendered unto Caesar. Would you believe that it's the most expensive new gun I've ever bought? (Not adjusted for inflation, of course!):cool:

Anyway, you've been doing some great shooting on that 100 yard target. Just one shot away from perfection! I don't think I can match that, but we'll see.

My Z5 also shoots the Win 333 pretty well but I have ejection problems with that round. Its the only one that the rifle has that problem with. I don't like digging them out from the receiver end or running a cleaning rod down from the crown end so gave up on them. Cleaned and cleaned but didn't help. Mine happens to love the Fed Automatch so not that expensive. At 100yds had to use Wolf Match Target for good groups. My Z5 was also my most expensive rifle that is until yesterday. Ordered a CZ Ultralux in .22lr and should have it in my grubby little hands in about 2 weeks. Something about that 28" barrel just got me longing to have one. I'm an old fart also and I just got to thinking that I didn't want to be lying in a hospital bed dying from some strange disease wishing I had bought that CZ. Good luck shooting. I suspect you can clean that 100yd target.

yelohamr
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
That Aguila Hyper really goes off with a POP, doesn't it! I tried some and it was all over the place in my bolt action. That looks like some pretty good shooting based on my experience with it! Haven't tried it in my wife's 10/22 yet. Hmmmm.....

My 10/22 has a 1:9 barrel that I put on it for the Aquila Sniper SubSonic 60 grain.
It seems to work well with everything I've used.

RipVanWinkle
11-10-2010, 10:37 AM
My 10/22 has a 1:9 barrel that I put on it for the Aquila Sniper SubSonic 60 grain.
It seems to work well with everything I've used.

Probably just a higher quality barrel all around. My Z5 is 1:16 I believe. You'd think that would be better for stabilizing those little 30 gr. Hyper bullets than a faster twist rate, but t'aint so.

usmcchet9296
11-10-2010, 8:18 PM
My first outting this month and due to kids games and the holidays my last for this month
First off is 25 yard iron sights with a Mossberg M44 Augila Match Rifle. I dedicate this to my bud Surf-n-Shoot..... beat that buddy :43:
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0051_copy.jpg
Next up is my finicky Savage MK2 TR. I have tried SK, Aguila match rifle and pistol, Fiochi and none of them are as good as bulk CCI Blazer... go figure :confused:
50 Yards scoped
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0052_copy.jpg
100 Yards scoped
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0050_copy.jpg
Well Im sure ill be beat at 50 and 100 but all things considered Im happy with my outting today. Saw a guy with a CMP Kimber 82 and man that thing is sweet ...gonna have to save my pennies for that.

surfNshoot
11-10-2010, 8:57 PM
^^^^^^ Nice Shooting buddy!!!!!!! Oh.. Don't worry. I got this.. hahaha

usmcchet9296
11-10-2010, 9:31 PM
^^^^^^ Nice Shooting buddy!!!!!!! Oh.. Don't worry. I got this.. hahaha
Just remember I taught you everything thing I know

Izzy43
11-11-2010, 6:58 AM
My first outting this month and due to kids games and the holidays my last for this month
First off is 25 yard iron sights with a Mossberg M44 Augila Match Rifle. I dedicate this to my bud Surf-n-Shoot..... beat that buddy :43:
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0051_copy.jpg
Next up is my finicky Savage MK2 TR. I have tried SK, Aguila match rifle and pistol, Fiochi and none of them are as good as bulk CCI Blazer... go figure :confused:
50 Yards scoped
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0052_copy.jpg
100 Yards scoped
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/IMG_0050_copy.jpg
Well Im sure ill be beat at 50 and 100 but all things considered Im happy with my outting today. Saw a guy with a CMP Kimber 82 and man that thing is sweet ...gonna have to save my pennies for that.

Great shooting especially on that 25 yd target. I want your Mossy and your eyes. I'm sure I could match that 25 yd target if I could use a 25X scope:41: That TR might like Federal Automatch but them Savages can drive you crazy trying to find the ammo that they like. Took me 6 months to figure out my BTVS (action screw torque and Wolf MT). Got a CZ UltraLux in 10 day jail with a Williams receiver sight. Hope that lets me shoot better @ 25 yds.

surfNshoot
11-11-2010, 8:00 AM
Just remember I taught you everything thing I know

haha. I guess I can't really argue that.

scootle
11-15-2010, 9:35 PM
Hi, I'm the new guy around here. :)

So I took my (nearly) new S&W M&P 15-22 to the indoor 25yd range tonight to sight in the MBUS and red dot sight (Primary Arms M4 clone, 1x w/ 2 MOA dot). I had exactly four of the 25yd targets printed in my bag, so when I was done sighting everything in, I said, "what the heck" and gave it a go. This was shooting CCI mini-mag 40gr solid nose rounds and using the GripPod LE as shown.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7483/20101116055454p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/20101116055454p6kdscn44.jpg/)

Darn it... I was close to clearing it on the 3rd try! I wanted that one shot on the lower target to break that 10 ring, but the more I stared at it, the more I had to admit it didn't quite break the ring. So I'm one point off. :(

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9887/20101116054654p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/i/20101116054654p6kdscn44.jpg/)http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2435/20101116054752p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/i/20101116054752p6kdscn44.jpg/)http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1743/20101116054810p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/20101116054810p6kdscn44.jpg/)

I tried one more time on the 4th sheet and didn't quite get there. I'll have to give it another go next time. I see lots of people belly aching about how the tacti-cool .22 rifles are just for fun and can't shoot straight... clearly that's not the case. Aside from the PA RDS and the grip pod, this thing is bone stock! I'm not sure I can shoot this precisely with the MBUS iron sights though... I'll have to give it a try when I have a larger stack of targets...

My bolt gun comes in next week (Savage Mk II TR)... hope to give the 50yd targets a go at the very least... 100yds might take a lot more practice. I might try the 15-22 at 50yds since I have a 3x magnifier for it, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Something to work on at the outdoor range anyhow!

scootle
11-15-2010, 10:33 PM

I'm in the SFBA as well... not sure which ranges you use, but does the Field Sports Park at Metcalf allow rimfire on the 100yd range? I'm pretty sure they allow rimfire on the 50yd, but I'd have to double check. I will ask specifically next time. I suspect that if it isn't a busy day, they won't care too much as long as you make way for people with their centerfire toys if it gets busy.

They are open Wed-Sun I believe, and the fees are very nice at $12 for as long as you want to stay.

Izzy43
11-16-2010, 6:33 AM
Hi, I'm the new guy around here. :)

So I took my (nearly) new S&W M&P 15-22 to the indoor 25yd range tonight to sight in the MBUS and red dot sight (Primary Arms M4 clone, 1x w/ 2 MOA dot). I had exactly four of the 25yd targets printed in my bag, so when I was done sighting everything in, I said, "what the heck" and gave it a go. This was shooting CCI mini-mag 40gr solid nose rounds and using the GripPod LE as shown.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7483/20101116055454p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/20101116055454p6kdscn44.jpg/)

Darn it... I was close to clearing it on the 3rd try! I wanted that one shot on the lower target to break that 10 ring, but the more I stared at it, the more I had to admit it didn't quite break the ring. So I'm one point off. :(

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9887/20101116054654p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/i/20101116054654p6kdscn44.jpg/)http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2435/20101116054752p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/i/20101116054752p6kdscn44.jpg/)http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1743/20101116054810p6kdscn44.th.jpg (http://img824.imageshack.us/i/20101116054810p6kdscn44.jpg/)

I tried one more time on the 4th sheet and didn't quite get there. I'll have to give it another go next time. I see lots of people belly aching about how the tacti-cool .22 rifles are just for fun and can't shoot straight... clearly that's not the case. Aside from the PA RDS and the grip pod, this thing is bone stock! I'm not sure I can shoot this precisely with the MBUS iron sights though... I'll have to give it a try when I have a larger stack of targets...

My bolt gun comes in next week (Savage Mk II TR)... hope to give the 50yd targets a go at the very least... 100yds might take a lot more practice. I might try the 15-22 at 50yds since I have a 3x magnifier for it, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Something to work on at the outdoor range anyhow!

Nice shooting. Welcome to the matches. This can become very addictive. Watch your wallet you might find yourself with more rifles trying to get those elusive clean targets. Oh yeah and new scopes, match ammo, new rests and bags, religious icons, the list goes on. The Savage TR is a nice rifle.

RipVanWinkle
11-16-2010, 8:44 AM
I got out yesterday to shoot the 100 yard target, and, as predicted, I was unable to match Izzy's 49. In fact I didn't come close. Part of the problem was the wind which was blowing: gusty, and right to left over the first 50 yards and the reverse over the second 50 yards. I wasn't sure how to handle that except to go straight at the target.:confused: The other problem was that I can't see the bullet holes through my scope at 100 yards when the shots hit in the darker part of the target, even at 9x, so I couldn't correct the elevation even though I was clearly shooting low. Most of the scatter is in the windage, as you might expect. Shot with Z5 and Winchester 333 ammo, Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x AO scope. So, a couple of 45s.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/100yard1.jpg?4f13aa49-4e7d-43a7-953e-52e52cd39d2b

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/100yard2.jpg?42517d59-5306-4e83-babf-b6f96c11b422

RipVanWinkle
11-16-2010, 9:14 AM
I'm in the SFBA as well... not sure which ranges you use, but does the Field Sports Park at Metcalf allow rimfire on the 100yd range? I'm pretty sure they allow rimfire on the 50yd, but I'd have to double check. I will ask specifically next time. I suspect that if it isn't a busy day, they won't care too much as long as you make way for people with their centerfire toys if it gets busy.

They are open Wed-Sun I believe, and the fees are very nice at $12 for as long as you want to stay.

I don't know about Metcalf, but it's way too far from me to be worth the drive. I usually shoot at San Leandro because it's cheaper and closer, but they might make an exception if nobody's shooting at 100 yards, as sometimes happens. I shot yesterday on Chabot's 100 yard range. A nice range, but definitely windier than San Leandro most days, and more expensive.

Nice shooting with that M&P 15-22!!! One shot away from a clean target, You're hooked!:cool2:

Izzy43
11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
I got out yesterday to shoot the 100 yard target, and, as predicted, I was unable to match Izzy's 49. In fact I didn't come close. Part of the problem was the wind which was blowing: gusty, and right to left over the first 50 yards and the reverse over the second 50 yards. I wasn't sure how to handle that except to go straight at the target.:confused: The other problem was that I can't see the bullet holes through my scope at 100 yards when the shots hit in the darker part of the target, even at 9x, so I couldn't correct the elevation even though I was clearly shooting low. Most of the scatter is in the windage, as you might expect. Shot with Z5 and Winchester 333 ammo, Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x AO scope. So, a couple of 45s.

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/100yard1.jpg?4f13aa49-4e7d-43a7-953e-52e52cd39d2b

http://img.att.net/photos/83/38059383/495230/100yard2.jpg?42517d59-5306-4e83-babf-b6f96c11b422

Up about 1/2" on that first target would be about a 49. I have been trying for the last week to clean that 100yd target but the wind is a real devil at that yardage. Almost did it today, was aiming 1/2" to the left to hit the bull and just as I let off the 4th shot the wind died so ended up with another 49. We rarely get a windless day at my range so its tough to shot MOA @100yds.

RipVanWinkle
11-17-2010, 6:37 AM
Up about 1/2" on that first target would be about a 49.

Careful here, Izzy. You're giving me ideas about a "Texas Sharpshooter" solution to the problem. The "Texas Sharpshooter" fires a group into the side of his barn, then paints in a target centered on the group! So I could shoot a nice tight group on a big sheet of clean paper, center the 100 yard target on the group and trace the outline, then cut along the dotted outline and place that piece of paper in the inkjet printer and print out a target on top of the group! (Or, better yet, do the whole thing in Photoshop.!) "Calguns Sharpshooter":D

surfNshoot
11-17-2010, 7:43 AM
^^^^ LOL. Quit giving me ideas. I havn't got to shoot yet this month and you guys are posting some sick targets. It is supose to rain this weekend too. Its my only opportunity for the month.

scootle
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
So I could shoot a nice tight group on a big sheet of clean paper, center the 100 yard target on the group and trace the outline, then cut along the dotted outline and place that piece of paper in the inkjet printer and print out a target on top of the group!

L O L. :eek:

Izzy43
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
^^^^ LOL. Quit giving me ideas. I havn't got to shoot yet this month and you guys are posting some sick targets. It is supose to rain this weekend too. Its my only opportunity for the month.

Heavy rain may be the only chance that most of us have to better your targets. :party:

Boilermaker
11-28-2010, 7:18 AM
Well this is the best I could do shot on the 7th, yesterdays try was met with many more squib rounds so it was dismal...pretty frustrating think I will need to get some match grade ammo for the next match.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~theskids/MVC-002F.JPG

scootle
11-29-2010, 12:57 AM
So I didn't get a chance to try for a better run at the 25yd iron/rds target set, so my previous post with the 15-22 will likely be it for this month.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5304587&postcount=38

On a bright note though... I had a chance to finally take the week-old Savage Mk II TR to the range for the first time... and with a little luck, a slot opened on the 50yd range so I could sight her in. Woot!

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4189/20101129090258p6kdscn45.th.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/20101129090258p6kdscn45.jpg/) :party:

Setup is a Savage Mk II TR with Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 optic. I shot off a Caldwell beanbag instead of the bipod today. Ammo was CCI Mini-Mag 40gr plated round nose -- it's my "go-to" ammo. I have a load of ammo-buffet coming in a week that I'll have to toy with next month! The rifle is already ridiculously smooth/quiet with the high-velocity ammo... I can imagine it's going to be like butter with standard or sub-sonic...

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3171/20101129085441p6kdscn45.th.jpg (http://img571.imageshack.us/i/20101129085441p6kdscn45.jpg/)http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3434/20101129085504p6kdscn45.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/20101129085504p6kdscn45.jpg/)

I don't know if it's beginner's luck or whatever, but I managed to shoot at 5x 50yard targets and scored 119/117/117/118/117. Dang nabbit... first target was as good as it got and 1 point short of clean (again!). It was getting pretty chilly late in the afternoon so I doubt slowly freezing fingers were helping my shooting. :D No excuses tho... 1 point shy of clean. I might have been barely on the edge of that 119 on one of the shots... but I think it broke the 10 ring, honest! :TFH:

I had hoped to move over to the 100yd range while I was out there, but I ran out of time... and I think the month is done, so oh well... there's always next month! Thanks for the fun everyone! This is great. I'm positive it will be a long time before I can outshoot the Savage... it's a pretty slick toy! The range master wants to buy one now... hehehe.

Happy holidays.

PS Just FYI if you are in the Bay Area... I verified with the range master at Metcalf Field Sports Park (south SJ) that they allow rimfire rifles on all lanes of the facility... both sides... so as a rimfire shooter, you have free run of their 7/10/15/25 yd pistol and 50/100/100-open rifle slots... pretty nifty!

surfNshoot
11-29-2010, 3:54 PM
This is the only target I shot this month. To cold and rainy and I'm a wuss. You guys be the judge. I just can't make the call. I know the top right one is good but the to middle is suspect. Its either a 48 or 49.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/target-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/image-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/closeup.jpg

usmcchet9296
11-29-2010, 5:31 PM
This is the only target I shot this month. To cold and rainy and I'm a wuss. You guys be the judge. I just can't make the call. I know the top right one is good but the to middle is suspect. Its either a 48 or 49.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/target-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/image-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/closeup.jpg

Nice shooting Tex

ilawson
11-30-2010, 8:49 AM
Wanted to get in on this this month and I made it by the skin of my teeth. Went out at about 7 this morning and it was COLD! Looking at everybody's targets it looks like you guys score best line, which places my target at a 49. If thats not how it works, well, shucks...:p

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/ilawson4488/novembertarget2.png

Izzy43
11-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Nice shooting. As for the score its not my call. Will know tomorrow when the results are evaluated by the judge. No matter still great shooting. What sights were used? What ammo? From a rest, bipod, etc...? Just nice to know information. CZs are great, huh? With that rifle in 17hmr I would expect to see you clean a bunch of targets in these matches.

scootle
11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Having never shot .17 HMR, how does it compare to .22LR? It is obviously a more "powerful" cartridge (higher velocity) but the actual bullet sounds pretty light. Is it as susceptible to wind at long(er) ranges as .22LR?

I've read that .17HMR has a pretty flat trajectory since it was designed with that in mind... does that make it effective out to 200yds or more?

ilawson
11-30-2010, 2:09 PM
Izzy, I have a little caldwell bipod that I shot from, great harris knock off for like 40 bucks. I was shooting the 17gr Hornady vmax and looking through a nikon monarch at 16x. I might've been able to clean this one if I had some more time. That was the second and last target I shot because I had to get to class. I'm also experimenting with how long I can go without cleaning it. It's around 220-250 rounds so far and it still shoots straight enough for me. We'll see what I can do next month.

Scootle, it's a great little cartridge as long as you are realistic with your expectations. It'll get blown around by the wind substantially past about 80 yards. I've made a couple shots on squirrels beyond 150 that I held over a foot into the wind. Those were basically luck, hahaha. I've shot it out to about 270 yards, if the wind is consistent, it's fine, but if it's the slightest bit gusty, you might hit a refrigerator. The .22 is more consistent it seems. The awesome part about the .17 is how flat it shoots. From 0-120 yards, if the squirrel is on it's hind legs you are aiming at fur.

Izzy43
11-30-2010, 2:28 PM
Izzy, I have a little caldwell bipod that I shot from, great harris knock off for like 40 bucks. I was shooting the 17gr Hornady vmax and looking through a nikon monarch at 16x. I might've been able to clean this one if I had some more time. That was the second and last target I shot because I had to get to class. I'm also experimenting with how long I can go without cleaning it. It's around 220-250 rounds so far and it still shoots straight enough for me. We'll see what I can do next month.

Scootle, it's a great little cartridge as long as you are realistic with your expectations. It'll get blown around by the wind substantially past about 80 yards. I've made a couple shots on squirrels beyond 150 that I held over a foot into the wind. Those were basically luck, hahaha. I've shot it out to about 270 yards, if the wind is consistent, it's fine, but if it's the slightest bit gusty, you might hit a refrigerator. The .22 is more consistent it seems. The awesome part about the .17 is how flat it shoots. From 0-120 yards, if the squirrel is on it's hind legs you are aiming at fur.

Clean it when the accuracy drops off. Thats what I do with all my .22s unless I am changing ammo brands to eliminate different bullet lube types. The .17s are copper jacketed I think, so cleaning for copper build up could be different. I have a 22 Mag that has maybe 2000 rounds thru it and have only cleaned once and it wasn't very dirty. Copper jacketed round as well.

ilawson
11-30-2010, 2:45 PM
yeah, hopefully it's like yours as far as the cleaning goes. if thats the case I wasted 15 bucks on a bore guide. When you look down the barrel, there's tons of crud int he bore, but the bullets don't seem to mind. Here's a hi-res shot to help my cause...

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/ilawson4488/PB300219.jpg

dwh100
11-30-2010, 4:06 PM
Congratulations to the November Rimfire Match top shooters:

100yds
Izzy43 shot 49 pts
ilawson shot 49 pts (by the hair of his chinny chin chin):D

50 yds
Izzy43 aced the 120 pts with his Savage and his Zastava (no CZ?);)
RipVanWinkle aced the 120 pts

25yds
usmcchet296 aced the 100 pts
scootle shot 99 pts (please circle your total at target top, sir!)

Great shooting by all, and Thank You All for participating!!!
December targets
print at 100%

Since nodody aced this target last month, here it is again!
100 yds scoped:
Take 5 shots

50 yds scoped
http://www.bghi.us/targets/10m_air_rifle_target.pdf
Take 3 shots at each of 6 targets
Black circle score 5pts
Inner ring score 3 pts
Middle ring score 2 pts
outer ring score 1 pt
*Remember 5,3,2,1*

25 yds irons/reddots
http://www.bghi.us/targets/10m_air_pistol_target.pdf
Take 5 shots
Inner circle scores 15 pts

Print, shoot, and post you targets here!

PLEASE mark your totals circled at the top of your target! It helps my old eyes weed through all the your scores at the end of the month.

Winners earn bragging rights!:King:

Enjoy!!!!

surfNshoot
11-30-2010, 8:04 PM
This is going to be an interesting month. Getting serious with that 25 yard target.

scootle
11-30-2010, 8:54 PM
scootle shot 99 pts (please circle your total at target top, sir!)

oops... my bad. sorry about that! will remember this month. :D

Getting serious with that 25 yard target.

amen on that 25yd target... i won't ask how our poor eyes are supposed to survive a 10m target being placed at 25yds... ;) tell ya what... i'll pull out my ruger mk iii and give it a go at 10 yds first... lol.

good luck everyone!

dwh100
11-30-2010, 9:23 PM
oops... my bad...!

No worries! Thanx for posting your Nov. target! Keep em coming!

usmcchet9296
11-30-2010, 9:48 PM
This should be interesting
25 yards looks to be a challenge

dwh100
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Printed at 100% the black center, of the 25 yd target, is still bigger than the end of a beer can!:eek:

Draw a black sharpie pen circle around the outside of the target, draw a slow breath, ...break the shot.... repeat and practice!!

It's only 5 shots!
It's fun!

:36:

scootle
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Printed at 100% the black center, of the 25 yd target, is still bigger than the end of a beer can!:eek:

i think most of us are :eek: at the little <1/4" spot in the middle of said beer can... ;)

speaking of which... how is the scoring for the 25yd target... 8-9-10-15? or is it just 8-15?

thanks for doing this... good times. glad i found you all. :D

dwh100
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Yep...8,9,10,15
Enjoy!

dwh100
12-01-2010, 5:37 AM
Hey, if you guys think it is too hard, I can change the 25 yd target. Let me know TODAY what you want to do. If 3+ folks chime in with change, I'll change it, If only 2- folks chime in it'll stay the same!

usmcchet9296
12-01-2010, 6:26 AM
Hey, if you guys think it is too hard, I can change the 25 yd target. Let me know TODAY what you want to do. If 3+ folks chime in with change, I'll change it, If only 2- folks chime in it'll stay the same!

Nope leave them ....the whole monthly match thing is supposed to be challenging ... its what makes it fun

surfNshoot
12-01-2010, 8:17 AM
yeah. leave it. its not as fun when USMCCHET cleans it every time. This will be a good challenge.

Izzy43
12-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Yes sir, leave it. Aim small, miss small.

Spdjunkie
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Yes sir, leave it. Aim small, miss small.
+1 Its fine the way it is . . .

Will be joining in on the fun shortly.

xxEMOxx
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I say leave it, it should be an interesting challange to see if my new to me 10/22 with irons can hit even close to 80% from 25-30 yards.

scootle
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
leave it alone! it'll keep the scores more spread out! :D

Izzy43
12-01-2010, 6:13 PM
Shot the 25 yd target today. A little wind but not bad. Retrieved the target and had 1 in the 15 ring, 4 in the 9 ring and WHAT!! 1 in the 8 ring? What a Dunder Head, I shot the target 6 times. :nopity: Guess I won't need to post the target.

dwh100
12-01-2010, 6:33 PM
OK !!!!
25 yd target shall remain the same!
Small groups and Good Luck to you all! :thumbsup:

usmcchet9296
12-01-2010, 7:20 PM
yeah. leave it. its not as fun when USMCCHET cleans it every time. This will be a good challenge.

HAHAHAHA probably not this time

scootle
12-01-2010, 7:42 PM
Shot the 25 yd target today. A little wind but not bad. Retrieved the target and had 1 in the 15 ring, 4 in the 9 ring and WHAT!! 1 in the 8 ring? What a Dunder Head, I shot the target 6 times. :nopity: Guess I won't need to post the target.

who woulda known that basic counting was part of the monthly challenge! :D when i was doing last month's 25 yd challenge, i didn't trust my counting at all, so i just loaded mags with 5 rounds each... nevertheless, in one string i forgot if i was shooting at top or bottom target first so it was 50/50 if i picked the right one for the last 5. :o

sounds like good shooting tho. nice job!

Izzy43
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
As the title says. Shot with my CZ UltraLux, Williams Receiver Sight and Federal Automatch ammo. Wind calm, temp around 55. Great day for shooting. The posted target was the best score but shot some better groups on other target. Haven't quite got the correct sight picture yet and hope to improve as the month goes by. Score is 50. One in the 15, three in the 9 and one in the 8 circle. One group was 4 in one hole then a horrific flyer. Love the CZ.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DSC03320Medium.jpg

surfNshoot
12-03-2010, 9:31 PM
Solid start Izzy. And all this time talking about your bad vision. haha

usmcchet9296
12-05-2010, 3:04 PM
First outting this month
25 yard iron sights
Score 59
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5236369530_64cf577569.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369530/)
IMG_0065 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369530/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

50 yard scoped
Score 67
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5236369764_c9e30a8f0a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369764/)
IMG_0066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369764/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

Will try 100 yards later this week
there were too damned many people at ASR today

IrishPirate
12-05-2010, 3:17 PM
wait a minute....this looks like fun!!!!!...what the heck is going on?!?!?

Just print the targets, shoot at the right distances, count your points, take a picture and post?

Rifle, pistol, either????

RipVanWinkle
12-05-2010, 4:35 PM
First outting this month
25 yard iron sights
Score 54

What a great group on that 25 yard target! Man, you can shoot!:)

But 'ya can't add:

15+15+10+10+9=59, not 54!:eek:

scootle
12-05-2010, 5:00 PM
Just print the targets, shoot at the right distances, count your points, take a picture and post?

Rifle, pistol, either????

Most of us use rifles... but if you think you can clean that 100yd target with a pistol, be my guest! :D

Stupid rain (and I caught a bit of a cold too :( )... I guess I'll see if I can get outside next week!

Nice shooting!

IrishPirate
12-05-2010, 5:56 PM
hmmmm....gonna have to follow up on this then :D

(i doubt i can hit the 100yd accurately with my pistol, but the 25yd.....maybe!....)

Izzy43
12-05-2010, 6:22 PM
First outting this month
25 yard iron sights
Score 54
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5236369530_64cf577569.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369530/)
IMG_0065 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369530/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

50 yard scoped
Score 67
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5236369764_c9e30a8f0a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369764/)
IMG_0066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/5236369764/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

Will try 100 yards later this week
there were too damned many people at ASR today

Very nice shooting on that 25 yd target. I think you set a standard to beat there.

usmcchet9296
12-05-2010, 7:10 PM
What a great group on that 25 yard target! Man, you can shoot!:)

But 'ya can't add:

15+15+10+10+9=59, not 54!:eek:

and I kant spell either ;)

thanks for adding it up correctly

surfNshoot
12-05-2010, 7:24 PM
Wow usmcchet. Bar has been set on that 25 yard. Nice shooting.

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Shot the 25Yd target today with the CZ UltraLux and Automatch ammo. Wind was steady about 5 mph almost directly behind me. Did not seem to affect the shooting at all. Of course at 25yds the wind doesn't get much of a chance to blow the round off course.

Posting 4 targets. Full view and closeup of two seperate ones as I am a little unsure of the score so I defer to others for their opinion if you have one. I think you'll see why in the pictures.

First Target score 59 (I think)

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3141Medium.jpg

Close up.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3142Medium.jpg

Second Target score 64 (I think)

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3144Medium.jpg

Close up.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3146Medium.jpg

The grouping is the first target was great just wish it were a little lower and to the right. I did have trouble scoring these target so take a look and see what you think. The CZ is AMAZING.

If better pics are needed just let me know. I know that they are not great. Good camera is on the blink, only wants to record video and can't figure out what's up with that.

Edit: Ok a couple of better closeups.

Score 64?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/Closeupof64.jpg

Score 59?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/Closeupof59.jpg

scootle
12-08-2010, 2:01 PM
holy cow... good 25yd shooting all... i'm not even sure if i should bother at this point! hehe.

i guess that is one downside with the tiny 15 ring... if you put them all too close, it kinda makes a mess to figure out which bullets went in there vs. just went through the same ragged hole! :D

between this rain and a cold i caught, i dunno when i will get outside. :(

surfNshoot
12-08-2010, 2:45 PM
Jeezzz Izzy,

The way this is going we are going to have to move the Iron/red dot out to 50 yards.

dwh100
12-08-2010, 4:20 PM
Izzy, Izzy Izzy!:svengo:

I'd call those 64 and 60, however, that clover you shot could be a 65!

Nice groups!

AND you guys were worried about the target !

usmcchet9296
12-08-2010, 5:25 PM
Izzy that is the shiznit right there

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 6:42 PM
Its the rifle not me. I was totally shocked when I went to retrieve the targets. I did make one alteration to the rifle. I ordered a length of fiber optic (.040 diameter) and superglued it to the front sight post. Man what a difference. It was a tiny illuminated dot and made it really easy to see through the rear sight. Just held it in the same place and let her rip. Also did a trigger job on the rifle. Now has an 8oz trigger pull and zero creep. What a difference. Not bad for an old guy.

I am going to shoot the 25yd target at 50 yds to test the rifle, ammo and mostly me. Should be interesting.

I did one attempt at the 50 yd target with the CZ and same sight but I could not even see the bullseye. Gave up. Thanks for the comments.

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 6:44 PM
holy cow... good 25yd shooting all... i'm not even sure if i should bother at this point! hehe.

i guess that is one downside with the tiny 15 ring... if you put them all too close, it kinda makes a mess to figure out which bullets went in there vs. just went through the same ragged hole! :D

between this rain and a cold i caught, i dunno when i will get outside. :(

Yes you should try because 6 months ago I couldn't hit my backside with a hand grenade. Every time you shoot (if you are paying attention) you will learn something and get better. Also I gotta believe that I was a little lucky.

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 6:47 PM
Izzy, Izzy Izzy!:svengo:

I'd call those 64 and 60, however, that clover your shot could be a 65!

Nice groups!

AND you guys were worried about the target !

Thanks for the look at the targets. I just couldn't be sure what they scored. CZs are just plain scary accurate. I was shocked and happy of course. Now I'm thinkin, shouild I try to clean it? (Never happen)

scootle
12-08-2010, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the look at the targets. I just couldn't be sure what they scored. CZs are just plain scary accurate. I was shocked and happy of course. Now I'm thinkin, shouild I try to clean it? (Never happen)

was it izzy who was saying last month his eyes prevented him from cleaning the 25yd iron targets?

methinks someone was hustling us all... :TFH:

Izzy43
12-08-2010, 7:01 PM
was it izzy who was saying last month his eyes prevented him from cleaning the 25yd iron targets?

methinks someone was hustling us all... :TFH:

Medical science is wonderful. My eyeball transplants are the cat's meow! :taz:

Izzy43
12-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Went to the range today and moved the 25 yd target out to 50 yds to see what I could do with the CZ and the Williams Sight. I shot 4 targets and scores were 44, 46, 46 and 54. The target scored at 54 was a 0.39" group with one in the 15 ring. Looks like the Automatch ammo is opening up at 50 yds. Also my fiber optic thingy on the front post fell off before I started shooting so that affected things as well. The rear sight was as low as it could go and still shooting about 2.5" high at 50 so had to do some guessing on where to aim. I think I was aiming at the 5 ring on center, hard to really tell. I was pretty satisfied with the results. Back to the drawing board on the fiber optic thingy.

Goal is to shoot a 4" group at 200yds some day. Gotta find another range for that.

scootle
12-10-2010, 6:02 PM
Since nodody aced this target last month, here it is again!
100 yds scoped:
Take 5 shots

Presuming the scoring is the same as Nov... 10 for center ring 1" ring, 9 for 2", 8 for 3", etc.

I got outside today (10 Dec) and gave the 50yd and 100yd targets a go. Thankfully the rain held off and it was surprisingly warm at 65 deg F or so at 80% humidity (we might as well be in Florida!) To save some bandwidth, I won't post pictures until I'm sure I won't get another shot at going outside before the New Year. ;) All shot off a Caldwell beanbag today with CCI Mini-Mag 40gr (still waiting on my ammo buffet to show up. :( ) from my Savage Mk II TR and Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO.

50yd target: 15+13+10+13+11+13 = 75
100yd target: 10+9+9+9+7 = 44 (that 7 pains me :( )

That 50yd target is harder than it looks... getting 18 consistent shots all at once is easier said than done! :eek: I only had two tries at the 100yd today -- ran out of time (range closing at 4pm is fail), so I will hopefully get another go at that one for sure.

I'lll run the 25yd targets next time I'm at the indoor range since I can go there any evening of the week until 9pm. :cool2:

Izzy43
12-10-2010, 7:20 PM
Presuming the scoring is the same as Nov... 10 for center ring 1" ring, 9 for 2", 8 for 3", etc.

I got outside today (10 Dec) and gave the 50yd and 100yd targets a go. Thankfully the rain held off and it was surprisingly warm at 65 deg F or so at 80% humidity (we might as well be in Florida!) To save some bandwidth, I won't post pictures until I'm sure I won't get another shot at going outside before the New Year. ;) All shot off a Caldwell beanbag today with CCI Mini-Mag 40gr (still waiting on my ammo buffet to show up. :( ) from my Savage Mk II TR and Mueller APT 4.5-14x40AO.

50yd target: 15+13+10+13+11+13 = 75
100yd target: 10+9+9+9+7 = 44 (that 7 pains me :( )

That 50yd target is harder than it looks... getting 18 consistent shots all at once is easier said than done! :eek: I only had two tries at the 100yd today -- ran out of time (range closing at 4pm is fail), so I will hopefully get another go at that one for sure.

I'lll run the 25yd targets next time I'm at the indoor range since I can go there any evening of the week until 9pm. :cool2:

Those are pretty decent scores. That 100yd target is tough. Keep working that 50 yd target you are nearly there. Its a tough one as well. Good luck on your shooting. Work on your breathing and trigger pull and you'll get better and better.

scootle
12-10-2010, 7:43 PM
Those are pretty decent scores. That 100yd target is tough. Keep working that 50 yd target you are nearly there. Its a tough one as well. Good luck on your shooting. Work on your breathing and trigger pull and you'll get better and better.

Yeah, thanks! Consistency is still my weak point... but that really is the crux of target shooting, I suppose. :D I tell ya, trying to clean these targets is a great way to completely burn all the hours in an afternoon...

Hopefully, I can get out there at least one more day before the Holiday madness kicks in. The week off after the Xmas holiday will be prime if the weather holds out. ;)

And lo and behold, my ammo buffet arrived today on my doorstep after I got home from the range... ai yah. :rolleyes:

surfNshoot
12-12-2010, 9:19 PM
A GREAT day for shooting today!!!! Nice sunny and warm. with hardly any wind. I went yesterday and it was so windy it was not worth posting anything.

25 Yard: I can see that two of them went into the 15 and 2 were in the 10 but can't tell where the 5th went through since its all one hole so we will just score it a 60. Sorry I did not circle it on the top I just didn't know what to score it at when I took the pic.

50 yard: SUPER happy with except the one flyer.

100 yard: I'll post later. I'm still trying to clear that damn thing.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/2f4da76c.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/0c0fc423.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/5b52fa47.jpg

usmcchet9296
12-12-2010, 9:35 PM
A GREAT day for shooting today!!!! Nice sunny and warm. with hardly any wind. I went yesterday and it was so windy it was not worth posting anything.

I honesly don't even know how to score these 25 yard targets. I'm very happy with them but its tough to call where the bullets when in. Please help me score them.

50 yard. SUPER happy with except the one flyer.

100 yard. I'll post later. I'm still trying to clear that damn thing.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/2f4da76c.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/5b52fa47.jpg

I hate you :mad:

Flyin Brian
12-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm interested in giving this a try but I'm confused about the scoped/iron sights part... my rifle has peep sights on it, so is this considered scoped or?

surfNshoot
12-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm interested in giving this a try but I'm confused about the scoped/iron sights part... my rifle has peep sights on it, so is this considered scoped or?

Peep sights are considered iron sights. you may also use Red dots with no magnification.

Scoped= magnification.

Izzy43
12-13-2010, 6:17 AM

25 Yard: I can see that two of them went into the 15 and 2 were in the 10 but can't tell where the 5th went through since its all one hole so we will just score it a 60. Sorry I did not circle it on the top I just didn't know what to score it at when I took the pic.

50 yard: SUPER happy with except the one flyer.

100 yard: I'll post later. I'm still trying to clear that damn thing.

I would score this target as a, wait please hold your applause until after the announcement,

75!!!!

at worse its a 65 but if I had to bet money on it, its a clean target. Just excellent shooting. Looks like I gotta print some more targets and get back to work. Congrats, that's a very difficult target. You do know that the range was supposed to be 25 yds, not 25 feet. :taz: All kidding aside your shooting on this target is unbelievable. Wanna sell your rilfe?

surfNshoot
12-13-2010, 8:22 AM
^^^^ You are to kind Izzy. I was telling USMCCHET last night that he is going to have to come whitness my shooting because people are going to start calling me out on it soon. We went together on Sat. but we had 30mph gusts that blew our targets over so it was pointless. I still think I can better the 50 yard but that 25 yard was all I got. No way this rifle will ever be for sale. I don't want it in your very capable hands!!!! I found the trick to shooting that tight group. Having a 24" barrel makes for a very long sight radius and I'm using every bit of it.

Izzy43
12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
^^^^ You are to kind Izzy. I was telling USMCCHET last night that he is going to have to come whitness my shooting because people are going to start calling me out on it soon. We went together on Sat. but we had 30mph gusts that blew our targets over so it was pointless. I still think I can better the 50 yard but that 25 yard was all I got. No way this rifle will ever be for sale. I don't want it in your very capable hands!!!! I found the trick to shooting that tight group. Having a 24" barrel makes for a very long sight radius and I'm using every bit of it.

Its all about sight radius. My UltraLux has a 28" barrel and I am able to mount the sight at the very end of the receiver so my sight radius is 31.5". Makes a heck of a difference. After seeing your great 25yd target I went out to shoot again today by someone beat me to the 25yd range so couldn't shoot.

So I practiced my 100yd shooting with the peep sights. Getting better. Could only get about 1.5" groups (only 1 of 5) so still some work to do. I would like to see how you and your rifle shoot the 25yd target but at 50 yards. If you get the time try it, you might be surprised how well you do.

Mstnpete
12-15-2010, 6:22 AM
Just wondering, where do you shoot and when do you have this meets?

dwh100
12-15-2010, 6:27 AM
Just wondering, where do you shoot and when do you have this meets?

Not sure if you're askin Izzy specifically, but in general:

Just print the targets of your choice from post #1 and shoot em at your leisure, take a pic, and post it here. This is where we meet!

ilawson
12-15-2010, 8:15 AM
I finish finals tuesday and you can bet I'll have a target or two up wednesday...itchin to get back at it...

Mstnpete
12-15-2010, 9:38 PM
Not sure if you're askin Izzy specifically, but in general:

Just print the targets of your choice from post #1 and shoot em at your leisure, take a pic, and post it here. This is where we meet!

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was a gathering and shoot meet.

scootle
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Dang... surfNshoot taking names this month. lol. Nice shooting!

Princeau99
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Are these all 22LR? Thinking about CZ Full stock in 17HMR, still join the fun?

Izzy43
12-18-2010, 1:58 PM
Are these all 22LR? Thinking about CZ Full stock in 17HMR, still join the fun?

Any rimfire can shoot. See post 1 for targets. .17HMR is fine as well as HM2, .22WMR, as long as its rimfire. But for the .17 you have to double the range on all targets to make it fair (just kidding). Join and have some fun.

Jn316
12-18-2010, 3:01 PM
Izzy which range are you going to ?

Izzy43
12-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Izzy which range are you going to ?

I shoot at the Rainbow Valley Shooting Club just south of Temecula, east of the border check point. Members only club but guests are allowed when accompanied by a member, cost $10. Max range is 100 yds, also a 25/50yd rimfire only range with one shooting bench. I generally use that.

surfNshoot
12-20-2010, 2:35 PM
Dang... surfNshoot taking names this month. lol. Nice shooting!

hahaha

Scootle: CHECK :D
USMCCHET: CHECK
IZZY: CHECK

Who am I missing???

Just kidding guys!!

Although I do believe Izzy has a couple amazing targets waiting to post on the last day of the month. haha

usmcchet9296
12-20-2010, 3:36 PM
hahaha

Scootle: CHECK :D
USMCCHET: CHECK
IZZY: CHECK

Who am I missing???

Just kidding guys!!

Although I do believe Izzy has a couple amazing targets waiting to post on the last day of the month. haha

The month isnt over buddy. Im not done.....

:King:

scootle
12-20-2010, 3:40 PM
Lol. I might go outside while I have time off from work between Xmas and NY... but don't hold your breath... your clover leaf collection will probably prevail. :D

usmcchet9296
12-20-2010, 6:03 PM
Lol. I might go outside while I have time off from work between Xmas and NY... but don't hold your breath... your clover leaf collection will probably prevail. :D

Im just waiting for this damned rain to end and then its on.

scootle
12-20-2010, 7:21 PM
Im just waiting for this damned rain to end and then its on.

No kidding. I'm hoping that this storm will pass and next week will be clear skies. We shall see.

Jn316
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I shoot at the Rainbow Valley Shooting Club just south of Temecula, east of the border check point. Members only club but guests are allowed when accompanied by a member, cost $10. Max range is 100 yds, also a 25/50yd rimfire only range with one shooting bench. I generally use that.
I have been a member there for about 5yrs now.
I'll keep a eye out for ya
Merry Christmas

Izzy43
12-23-2010, 3:13 PM
I have been a member there for about 5yrs now.
I'll keep a eye out for ya
Merry Christmas

I try to make it there on Monday and Wednesday about 0830 to setup before live fire starts at 0900. Hope to see ya there but I probably won't be there until after New Years, too much goin on right now. Merrry Christmas to you.

Boilermaker
12-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I got out to the range today hopefully get another chance to better the targets next week. Shot all I printed and none worth taking a picture of.
BTW why hasnt anyone posted the 100yd target ?

Izzy43
12-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I got out to the range today hopefully get another chance to better the targets next week. Shot all I printed and none worth taking a picture of.
BTW why hasnt anyone posted the 100yd target ?

Too much rain in my area to go and shoot. When the rain does stop the wind is blowing 15-20mph so shooting at 50 or 100yds is like p---ing in the wind. Looks like the rain is gone for a few days next week so I'll be out shooting all the targets hopefully before the month is done. I wouldn't dare go the range tomorrow, all the folks with their new guns will most likely be there and it'll be a zoo. Best of luck to you in your shooting. These matches have improved my shooting beyond my expectations. (cost a lot of money too along the way but can't take it with you):taz::taz:

RipVanWinkle
12-25-2010, 5:05 PM
Too much rain in my area to go and shoot. When the rain does stop the wind is blowing 15-20mph so shooting at 50 or 100yds is like p---ing in the wind. Looks like the rain is gone for a few days next week so I'll be out shooting all the targets hopefully before the month is done. I wouldn't dare go the range tomorrow, all the folks with their new guns will most likely be there and it'll be a zoo. Best of luck to you in your shooting. These matches have improved my shooting beyond my expectations. (cost a lot of money too along the way but can't take it with you):taz::taz:

Pretty much the same story here, Izzy. My 100 yard range is only open Fri.-Mon., and with the weather forecasts and other commitments I might miss this month's rimfire shoot for the first time in quite a while. :mad:

usmcchet9296
12-25-2010, 9:31 PM
This rain is a pisser for sure. Going to try and shoot Tuesday is mother nature lets me. :mad:

scootle
12-26-2010, 1:31 AM
It might be clear on Sunday... but I might end up busy. Argh. Range is closed until Wed, but the rain might return on Tues night... ARRRRRRRRR. :chris:

Boilermaker
12-26-2010, 5:35 PM
Well I might have ended this months match...I have never been very critical of my 22
but these matches got me goin. I'v had this rifle since the early 80's and it was made
in '78. With the grouping never being consistant, yesteray I got out the eyeglass and
looked over the thing....the muzzle looked like it had the bit jammed when factory cut.
So it got out a reamer and got it more uniform I am thinking it should do better and if it does I will get it recut by a 'Smith

Izzy43
12-26-2010, 5:38 PM
I wanted to chime in here about the December match. I am in the middle of moving to Idyllwild from Temecula and will probably not shoot again for the rest of the month. I will be switching internet providers, etc, etc so I may be off line for some time. In that regard I want to wish all the shooters in this months match the best of luck and congrats in advance to the December winners. Man that 25yd target was fun to shoot. Looking forward to January's match. Happy New Year to all and a big thanks to dwh100 for running the matches.

PS: Got a new set of BRNO Aperture Target sights on the way for the CZ. Gonna see what they can do @ 25yds. If you guys wouldn't shoot so good I wouldn't spend so much money.:taz::taz::taz::taz:

dwh100
12-28-2010, 3:21 PM
Finally got out to the range after a couple of knee surgerys. ASR was jam packed with a zoo of people. My main goal was to shoot my (new to me) Arsenal Saiga, and let my son shoot his CZ Scout. I did manage to shoot 3 of the 50yd targets. Not too pleased! Best was a score of *80*. My CZ American always seems to throw a few small flyers after about 10 rounds or so. Plus I'm quite rusty after having not shot in at least a handful of months. Yeah... those excuses will work fine!:rolleyes:
Temp-~60
Wind-light variable
Ammo -Wolf Match Target
Rifle CZ American w/ Mueller APV
Cheers!

surfNshoot
12-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Well I just can't seem to clean this 100 yard target. I keep getting one that just doesn't want to hang out with the rest of the gang. 49 is the best I got guys.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/casurfballa/80730fc4.jpg

RipVanWinkle
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Finally got out to the range after a couple of knee surgerys. ASR was jam packed with a zoo of people. My main goal was to shoot my (new to me) Arsenal Saiga, and let my son shoot his CZ Scout. I did manage to shoot 3 of the 50yd targets. Not too pleased! Best was a score of *80*. My CZ American always seems to throw a few small flyers after about 10 rounds or so. Plus I'm quite rusty after having not shot in at least a handful of months. Yeah... those excuses will work fine!:rolleyes:
Temp-~60
Wind-light variable
Ammo -Wolf Match Target
Rifle CZ American w/ Mueller APV
Cheers!

Jeez, those are some tight groups! It could have been an 89 if those bottom two had hit a little more left. Looks like surfNshoot has that target sewed up though, unless somebody gets lucky by tomorrow.

Well I just can't seem to clean this 100 yard target. I keep getting one that just doesn't want to hang out with the rest of the gang. 49 is the best I got guys.

Good shooting! There won't be any competition from our neck of the woods: winds gusting to 30 mph and more rain on the way. :(

Boilermaker
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll be back next month......good shootin all !

usmcchet9296
12-30-2010, 8:56 PM
Went shooting with SurfnShoot Tuesday and had some good groups at 25 meters but they werent centered and well my uber-unreliable Savage TR couldnt pull anything of note at 50 so I skipped 100. Gotta give props to Iggy, SnS, and the other shooters this month. Cant always win at 25 but hopefully my new/old Kimber82G I ordered this week will put me back in competition and I think Im going to replace my Savage with a CZ Varmint so 50 and 100 will hopefully come into play. Heres to a fun rimfire 2011!

dwh100
12-31-2010, 3:53 PM
Congratulations to the December Rimfire match winners!

I'm sure weather played a big part... but, for December, we only had 10 targets posted!

25 yd target
Izzy shot a 64
surfNshoot shot an unknown score target that was really nice too!!!

50 yd target
surfNshoot shot an 84

100 yd target
SurfNshoot shot a 49 wins by default as the only 100yd target posted

Thanx for participating everyone!
Let's post some more targets in 2011!
Happy New Year
January Rimfire Match

Print targets @ 100%

100 yd scoped
http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/targetbullseyewd.pdf
shoot 5 shots
score
10 pts center
9 pts inner ring
8 pts middle ring
7 pts outer ring

50 yd scoped
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/10M%20Airgun%20Target.pdf
shoot 1 shot at each target
score
5 pts center
3 pts inner ring
2 pts middle ring
1 pt outer ring

25 yd irons /reddots
http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/targetbullseye2.pdf
score
shoot 3 shots
10 pts center

Shoot your target, take a pic and post here for bragging rights!
:King:

Please circle your total score at the top of the target!
Good Luck and Happy New Year!!!
:party:

send it_hit
12-31-2010, 4:09 PM
I just might travel down and join in!!! Congrats everyone.

rojocorsa
12-31-2010, 4:12 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to play in this one.

Would I get extra credit for shooting 50yds iron sights at all?

dwh100
12-31-2010, 5:56 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to play in this one.

Would I get extra credit for shooting 50yds iron sights at all?

Heck ya! Braggn rights credits will be sent priotity! Good luck seein' it!

rojocorsa
12-31-2010, 6:14 PM
I need to build up my skill first, but I just wanted to know. ;)

usmcchet9296
12-31-2010, 6:26 PM
Hopefully I can redeem myself this month

dwh100
12-31-2010, 6:46 PM
I just might travel down and join in!!! Congrats everyone.

No travelin' involved! Shoot at your favorite range and post a pic in this thread!

Enjoy!

dwh100
12-31-2010, 6:51 PM
Hopefully I can redeem myself this month

No redemption needed!:p

Participation itself is a quest of the highest magnitude! Striving to better ones self is a personal blessing. And yours is greatly appreciated!

scootle
01-05-2011, 3:18 PM
Yay... a new month. Sorry I fell offline with the holiday madness to post my targets for Dec... not that it mattered... surfNshoot cleaned house in December!

Hope this month is less rainy so I can get outside and punch some quality holes in the paper!

Happy New Year everyone!

usmcchet9296
01-05-2011, 4:28 PM
I have a Kimber US mod 82 and a CZ452V on order. No more half assed shooting for me.

scootle
01-05-2011, 8:53 PM
I have a Kimber US mod 82 and a CZ452V on order. No more half assed shooting for me.

Is that the Kimber single-shot .22 that the CMP sells? I'd be curious how it turns out... those look like a really nice deal for $600 plus shipping.

usmcchet9296
01-06-2011, 6:20 AM
Is that the Kimber single-shot .22 that the CMP sells? I'd be curious how it turns out... those look like a really nice deal for $600 plus shipping.

Yeah I ordered the "rusty" Kimber for 400.00 but from what I have seen there isnt much rust on it.

Izzy43
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Back on line thanks to the magic of Wireless Broadband Internet. Couldn't believe it but I can't get landline phone service, cable tv or internet service here in Idyllwild. The wireless internet is faster than my old DSL service. Amazing stuff. Feel like I moved to Mars.::taz::taz::

Will be out shooting those targets next Monday, weather permitting.

Izzy43
01-10-2011, 3:38 PM
Shot today. Cold at the range and wind around 5-8mph but bright sunlight so a pretty good day to shoot. Target shot with CZ UltraLux and Federal AutoMatch ammo. Spent some time at first zeroing the new sights. Score is 27 or 28. I included a close up for evaluation of the score. I report, you decide.:taz::taz::taz:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3189.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/DCP_3187.jpg

I will probably regret saying this but I think I see a 30 in my future on this target.

Izzy43
01-12-2011, 5:29 PM
Shot today. Cold at the range and wind around 5-8mph but bright sunlight so a pretty good day to shoot. Target shot with CZ UltraLux and Federal AutoMatch ammo. Spent some time at first zeroing the new sights. Score is 27 or 28. I included a close up for evaluation of the score. I report, you decide
I will probably regret saying this but I think I see a 30 in my future on this target.

Well got too quick with the delete key in PhotoBucket and erased the target that I shot on Monday. No big deal as I went today and did better. Not the greatest day to shoot, the wind was gusting 5-10mph. Didn't effect the 25 yd shooting but different story @ 50 yds. At 50 every time I would compensate for the wind it seemed the wind died as soon as I pulled the trigger. Still not too bad. Shot with the Savage BTVS and Wolf Mt. Here is the 50 yd target. Score 129.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/50ydLarge.jpg

Two 25 yd targets both shot with the CZ and Federal Automatch. First target score was 28, second was 29. Included close ups of each.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/28Large.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/28CloseupLarge.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/29Large.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/ragswl4/29CloseupLarge.jpg

Anyone know the secret to posting the pictures so they are bigger. I am taking them with a 4 megapixel camera and resize them to 1024 x 860. Even when I post pics without resizing they still appear smallish. The pics of the whole target is difficult to see the bullet holes.