PDA

View Full Version : PSL mount will not fit! WHY?!

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 2:29 AM
Hey all,

I have a PSL-54C rifle, chambered in 7.62x54r. It came with the standard 4X one-piece scope and mount.

I wanted to move to a weaver-style mount that I could use with a standard rifle scope such as one would use on a 30-06 or .308-sized bolt action rifle. Or one of the many fine scopes that Kalinka sells that are specifically intended for the PSL but which require a weaver-style mount. I'd like higher magnification (6x or 8x would be ideal, and/or an adjustable magnification feature).

So I bought this product for it:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/svd-psl-tigr-romak-3/original-bp-02-svd-psl-tigr-low-profile-centered-side-mount-to-weaver-rail.html

...and it won't bolt to the side rail. Yes, I tried sliding it on from the rear, the front, lifting it on in a pivot fashion, everything. It's like the angle of the bracket doesn't quite match the lower rail on the receiver that it's supposed to grab onto. Like the bracket on the mount has a fraction of an inch too much metal.

Incidentally I tried mounting two other Kalinka complete scope/mount systems on the same weapon, one "SVD style" and the other "AK style." Both of them had the same problem I'm having now. They were similar if not identical to this:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-8x42-d-variposp-w-independent-focus-adjustable-illuminated-reticle-and-1000-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version-3.html

Has anyone else had this problem and/or had any luck in solving it? I even spoke to a Russian guy at Kalinka who seemed pretty knowledgeable, and he finally said that I must have a non-standard rail of some kind. That makes no sense.

The only thing I can come up with: I noticed that the rifle is made in Romania, while all of the optical accessories I've attempted to mount were made in Belarus (complete with Russian-language instructions only). Maybe these two countries weren't on the same page. I also considered that perhaps I'm attempting to mount accessories that were intended for the true Dragunov rifle (not its similar cousin the PSL 54C/Romak-3). However, why wouldn't the "AK style" mount fit? The PSL is derived from the AK (just has a longer chamber), right?

Any ideas?

CptDan
06-14-2012, 7:27 AM
Was this rifle a home built model if so the side rails were oversize and were meant to be machined to fit the scope mount after they were welded in place. There are two ways to make this work. Have the rail machined with the proper dove tail cutter (this requires a mill) or take a close look at the back side of the Kalinka mount and there are 2 small dove tails that actually locate the lower side of the mount. With a three cornered file one can file those 2 nubs to get the rail to fit. Only problem with doing that is that scope mount will be only for that rifle. I had to do this and it works...

ZX-10R
06-14-2012, 8:07 AM
Read the instruction on how to mount it. IT comes tight but you need to adjust it by loosening the retaining bolt on the bottom and then tightening it once you figure out if and when you throw the lever if it is too tight or too loose...

The right hand pic below the throw switch is the bolt you loosen and tighten...

http://kalinkaoptics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/k/ak_vs_svd_31_1.jpg

Fate
06-14-2012, 8:43 AM
Or chuck the sidemount concept in the garbage and upgrade to a Texas Weapons Systems railed topcover.

http://i48.tinypic.com/idzwc4.jpg

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 6:33 PM
Read the instruction on how to mount it. IT comes tight but you need to adjust it by loosening the retaining bolt on the bottom and then tightening it once you figure out if and when you throw the lever if it is too tight or too loose...

The right hand pic below the throw switch is the bolt you loosen and tighten...

The instructions that came with the scopes and with the mount, are printed in Russian...a language which I cannot speak or read.

As for the locking lever, I know that part already. The problem is that I cannot even slide the mount onto the rails to begin with.

I sent an RMA request to Kalinka, and this was their response:

its the new rails on the psl rifles that is the problem, they went
away from the standard rail size and now not much fits. I suggest to
change the siderail. Here is the RAN form, fill it out and send with the
item. KAlinka

Instead of sending the mount back to Kalinka, however, I left it and the rifle with the gunsmith today. He thinks that my suspicions were correct - that this mount, having been manufactured in Belarus instead of Romania, may be intended for a true Dragunov rather than for my PSL Romak, despite the way the product is labeled on Kalinka's website. He also said that his "stock" scope tends to slide forward on the rails (I noticed this myself today at the rifle range) and he just took a hammer and pounded shut the gap on the side rail so that it can't slide anymore.

He assured me that he can file down the mount and make it fit the rails on the receiver w/o making any changes to the latter. I told him that the scope mount cost me around $50, and he can file on that all he likes. We'll find out in a week whether or not he can do this.

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 6:39 PM
Or chuck the sidemount concept in the garbage and upgrade to a Texas Weapons Systems railed topcover.

Unless I miss my guess, it looks like you've replaced the standard receiver dust cover with one that has weaver-style mounts integrated into it.

Doesn't the cover vibrate around so much that mounting a scope to it is pretty much worthless as far as holding a zero? It's the same reason you don't do this to an SKS - you attach to a side rail.

winxp_man
06-14-2012, 6:40 PM
You can also take the four side screws off the original and put that mount on the new Kalika scope rail and call it a day. (Thats if the side rails will align with the kalinka mount)

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 6:40 PM
Was this rifle a home built model if so the side rails were oversize and were meant to be machined to fit the scope mount after they were welded in place. There are two ways to make this work. Have the rail machined with the proper dove tail cutter (this requires a mill) or take a close look at the back side of the Kalinka mount and there are 2 small dove tails that actually locate the lower side of the mount. With a three cornered file one can file those 2 nubs to get the rail to fit. Only problem with doing that is that scope mount will be only for that rifle. I had to do this and it works...

I do not want to make any permanent changes to the rails on the receiver if I can avoid doing so. I might want to reinstall the "stock" scope and mount at some point in the future. (Why I don't know, but I might.)

I don't care if the smith has to file something off of the scope mount. I'll gamble fifty dollars that he can do it correctly, and I couldn't care less if that mount won't fit another PSL. I only have one such rifle.

zfields
06-14-2012, 6:47 PM
Unless I miss my guess, it looks like you've replaced the standard receiver dust cover with one that has weaver-style mounts integrated into it.

Doesn't the cover vibrate around so much that mounting a scope to it is pretty much worthless as far as holding a zero? It's the same reason you don't do this to an SKS - you attach to a side rail.

Google Texas Weapon Systems. The TWS Dog Leg is a very solid mount, its not just a junky weaver topped dustcover.

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 6:51 PM
Google Texas Weapon Systems. The TWS Dog Leg is a very solid mount, its not just a junky weaver topped dustcover.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

ZX-10R
06-14-2012, 6:59 PM
The instructions that came with the scopes and with the mount, are printed in Russian...a language which I cannot speak or read.

As for the locking lever, I know that part already. The problem is that I cannot even slide the mount onto the rails to begin with.

I sent an RMA request to Kalinka, and this was their response:

its the new rails on the psl rifles that is the problem, they went
away from the standard rail size and now not much fits. I suggest to
change the siderail. Here is the RAN form, fill it out and send with the
item. KAlinka

Instead of sending the mount back to Kalinka, however, I left it and the rifle with the gunsmith today. He thinks that my suspicions were correct - that this mount, having been manufactured in Belarus instead of Romania, may be intended for a true Dragunov rather than for my PSL Romak, despite the way the product is labeled on Kalinka's website. He also said that his "stock" scope tends to slide forward on the rails (I noticed this myself today at the rifle range) and he just took a hammer and pounded shut the gap on the side rail so that it can't slide anymore.

He assured me that he can file down the mount and make it fit the rails on the receiver w/o making any changes to the latter. I told him that the scope mount cost me around $50, and he can file on that all he likes. We'll find out in a week whether or not he can do this.

My scope is from from Belarus from Kalinka as well...Works fine after the instructions I gave you...Grinding it down will work as well but make sure not to much material is removed...Tighter than loose is better. Yes the TWS is solid.

ZX-10R
06-14-2012, 7:01 PM
When did you get this rifle? Build or original Romy. Several distributors in the past. You have a pic? Someone could measure the side rail with a caliper and compare your height versus what another PSL rail is.

NYsteveZ
06-14-2012, 7:02 PM
My Zastava AK has a railed dust cover much like Fates PSL. It came like that from Serbia, so it is a legit set up.
I think the guys here with AK Team should be able to help you out, and if not, there is a forum over on AK Files specifically for SVDs and PSLs. In fact, here is my search for PSL scopes. You can lurk, and if you own anything commbloc an account there is highly recommended. Keep in mind when you sign up for an account, it took nearly two weeks for them to verify it in order to post and search. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3341873

ZX-10R
06-14-2012, 7:06 PM
Good call NY...Join AKfiles..They have quite a few guys with PSLs. Some of us have owned them for a bit. Where are you located?

NYsteveZ
06-14-2012, 7:35 PM
Whats up ZX, howve you been? OP-On the scope mounts, definately swing over to AK files and lurk that link I gave you. It doesnt look like you're alone as I see a bunch of guys talking about mounting issues with PSLs. Some PSLs have "3-pin" mounts, others have humps that need to be milled. If you can post pics here, and also who manufactured your receiver, that would help a ton. I would guess Tennessee, Century and any build from a parts kit would vary in difference with scope mounts. You may even have RPK mounts, but if you put pics up, I will compare to my PSL and even ask the AK file guys for you.

Cylarz
06-14-2012, 8:57 PM
I have no idea if this is a build kit or original. It came already put together and ready-to-use. I didn't know there was a difference, to tell you the truth...especially since the rails are integrated into the receiver. Which makes Kalinka's advice to "change the rails" all the more useless - I can't. They're cast as one solid piece of metal with the receiver, near as I can tell.

What would it accomplish to measure the rails w/ calipers? I already know that none of the PSL optical accessories seem to fit my rifle.

I bought the weapon on Gunbroker from a gun shop in northern Minnesota. They shipped it out here to me after installing a bullet button as required by CA law. That's all I can tell you.

I'm going to wait and see if the gunsmith is successful at installing Kalinka's Dragonov-esque mount I provided him with before I do anything else. If he isn't successful or I'm not satisfied with the results, I'll consider other options - obtaining the dust-cover weaver mount that was suggested, for instance. The smith told me he's got one of these rifles himself, and so I'm pretty confident.

I guess the only thing I can't figure out is why the Romanians wanted to issue their army troops a sniper-type weapon whose scope tends to slide around. I always thought that small arms (and by extension, other military goods) were the one thing the communists didn't want to cut corners on.

AK files forum: We'll continue the conversation over there, then. Turns out I already had an account...same handle. Thank you.

NYsteveZ
06-15-2012, 9:48 AM
I just figured with a build kit, someone may have attatched a mount for the scope of their liking. If it isnt a build kit, it should state made in Romainian, and imported by Century or TGI (Tennessee). TGI's PSLs are known as FPKs. Also, another company called Waffen Works did some PSLs for a bit. I know WW put shorter barrells on them, and who knows what. By determining who imported it/built it, we can narrow down what scopes came on those guns.

Thordo
06-15-2012, 12:19 PM

I AGREE!! It's awesome and easy to install.

Thordo