PDA

View Full Version : costco big horn safe vs tractor supply winchester safe

caligundude
06-13-2012, 11:51 PM
So I been looking for a gun safe. I am on a budget and decided to go with the big horn from Costco. However, I did a little more searching and came across the winchester safe (link is below). I like the winchester safe better and after researching it does seem like a better deal. It comes to $650 after tax. Is this a good deal or can I find something better for the same price? Thanks for the input.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297

Banana_hands
06-14-2012, 2:58 AM
My local Costco actually had that Winchester safe in store. From what I can tell its virtually identical to the big horn safe other than color and aesthetics. I wouldn't be surprised if they are produced in the same factory in china just decorated differently.

ZNinerFan
06-14-2012, 6:51 AM
I bought the Tractor Supply Winchester safe and am happy with mine. I had a little play in the door but some foam weather stripping from home depot fixed that. The only thing I wish it had was a socket to plug in a Golden Rod. Went with two wireless dehumidifiers to be safe. The quality of the Winchester is better than the Cannons at Tractor Supply. Not sure how it stacks up against the Bighorn.

The Winchester was on sale last weekend. Not sure if it still is or not. If it isn't ask for the sale price and see if they can give it to you.

BomarFab
06-14-2012, 9:24 AM
I haven't been able to see the big horns in person (aside from my grandfather's, but his is older than I am so I'm sure things have changed...logo isn't the same even), but I have looked at the Winchester at TS several times. It looks pretty good for the money. There is one right by my work, and another one about 30 miles South. I checked the other one out when I passed by, and they had the one with a mechanical dial instead of digital (what I want, however it felt a bit cheap), and it was $30 less than the digital model. However the salesman offered it to me for $520 if I took it home that day, since it was the last they had. I wish I had the money to do it at the time.

But you can actually haggle with them. They have that big sign that says all employees have permission to do whatever it takes. I bought my shop compressor from them, and the small one, and the huge 80 gallon where on sale, however the dual stage 60 gallon I wanted was not. I went in about half a dozen times to see if it would go on sale, then finally talked to the manager. He agreed to figure out the percentage average that the two others where on sale for, and apply that to the compressor I wanted. I saved about $200.

caligundude
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Bomarfab I didn't know I could haggle them. I'm going to try it . I'm going today for it .

Flintlock Tom
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I got that same Winchester safe from Costco a while back and am very happy with it.

fredr1980
06-14-2012, 1:57 PM
I'm in the same situation as I'm also torn between the Winchester and the Bighorn... I ran a comparison and I'm really leaning toward the Winchester based on just the specs and features but having the cannon delivered to my door is nice :D versus driving about an hour or so to my nearest Tractor supply :mad:. Haven't seen either in person as none of the Costco's here in the Bay area that I've been to carry any large safes. I might just have to take a drive down to TC this weekend...

Fred R.

Winchester TS-22-11
Exterior Dimensions: 30wx22dx59h
Interior Dimensions: 27-1/4wx16dx55-1/2h
22.5 Cubic Feet capacity
507 Lbs
30mins @ 1400* fire protection
TWELVE 1-1/4" locking bolts
12 gauge steel construction
5-Spoke handle
Door Organizer
Electronic Lock
Lifetime Warranty

Bighorn 19ECB
Exterior Dimensions: 28wx20dx59h
Interior Dimensions: 26-3/4wx14-3/4dx57-1/2h
19.1 Cubic Feet capacity
407 Lbs
30mins @ 1200* fire protection
EIGHT 1" locking bolts
12 gauge steel construction
3-Spoke handle
NO Door Organizer
Electronic Lock
Lifetime Warranty

ZNinerFan
06-14-2012, 2:47 PM
You really should look at both. When I drove down to my local Tractor Supply I had pretty much decided to get their Cannon 48 gun safe. It was until I really looked at them that I realized I would be happier with the TS-22 because it was built better.

Just from the specs, you get thicker bolts and 100 lbs more weight with the Winchester. You really should see and feel both before you pull the trigger on one.

BomarFab
06-14-2012, 2:50 PM
Bomarfab I didn't know I could haggle them. I'm going to try it . I'm going today for it .

Maybe not exactly haggle, but you can ask if they will make a deal, honor an old sale, match someone else' price (this is the easiest one, I got a sheetmetal brake at 20% below HF sale+coupon pricing since it was a 'damaged' floor model), etc. Some employees don't seem as willing to negotiate, they don't get commission so you have to find someone that actually enjoys/cares about working there.

caligundude
06-14-2012, 10:14 PM
so i went to tractor supply today... and happy to say my guns now have a new home...i bought the Winchester safe :D . i also went to home depot and bought a wireless cabinet lighting to place inside. i love the safe. its perfect (for me atleast), im completely happy.

ZNinerFan
06-15-2012, 6:40 AM
Congrats on the purchase. That reminds me, I need to get a light for my safe. Which one you end up getting from Home Depot?

BomarFab
06-15-2012, 8:33 AM
Curious if they worked with you on the price? I still want one.

bombadillo
06-15-2012, 8:40 AM
There is a bighorn safe right now at costco for over a hundred off and it makes it $569 shipped @ costco.com. I'd hit that one up for the money and have basically a lifetime warranty. I did buy a safe at costco and its a Winchester made by granite security out of texas, and its been great btw. I will give it good reviews but given the chance I'd take that bighorn in a heartbeat due to the plug in capabilities.

srvgtrfan
06-15-2012, 1:57 PM
Was thinking of the Bighorn 19ECB as well, and then saw the Champion CS22 deal at Turners for $749. Unfortunately can't see either one in person. Turners has none in the store so not sure of quality. The Bighorn may be great but can't really tell if the size will be large enough for me. I would really like to see some sort of scaling/ photos other than costco. Anyone have a 19ECB Bighorn willing to share photos? No Tractor Supply near me.

Banana_hands
06-16-2012, 7:57 AM
Was thinking of the Bighorn 19ECB as well, and then saw the Champion CS22 deal at Turners for $749. Unfortunately can't see either one in person. Turners has none in the store so not sure of quality. The Bighorn may be great but can't really tell if the size will be large enough for me. I would really like to see some sort of scaling/ photos other than costco. Anyone have a 19ECB Bighorn willing to share photos? No Tractor Supply near me.

Search big horn safe on YouTube. Lots of video reviews that can help you get a realistic sense of the size and capacity.

fredr1980
06-16-2012, 2:17 PM
so i went to tractor supply today... and happy to say my guns now have a new home...i bought the Winchester safe :D . i also went to home depot and bought a wireless cabinet lighting to place inside. i love the safe. its perfect (for me atleast), im completely happy.

Same here :D ... Picked one up today, it was a lot heavier than it looked, lol.

Fred R.

caligundude
06-16-2012, 6:21 PM
Congrats on the purchase. That reminds me, I need to get a light for my safe. Which one you end up getting from Home Depot?

i got a florescent 12" utility light. it does the job. its wireless and runs off 8 AA batteries. i figure i wont use the light much its just incase i need it. i also go the Remington dehumidifier. so far i have no negative reviews an what i got

caligundude
06-16-2012, 6:21 PM
Fredr1980 its pretty nice deal right?

Bobby Ricigliano
06-16-2012, 9:43 PM

I doubt the Turner's deal includes delivery like the Costco safes do.

fredr1980
06-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Fredr1980 its pretty nice deal right?

Yeap, pretty happy with it, well worth the drive to Gilroy for it :D. I arrived at TS today at about 9AM and they had 3 left, called Thursday and they had 6 left and they weren't sure they would last throught the weekend so they seem to be selling pretty fast.

Fred R.

Blarson
06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
There is a bighorn safe right now at costco for over a hundred off and it makes it $569 shipped @ costco.com. I'd hit that one up for the money and have basically a lifetime warranty. I did buy a safe at costco and its a Winchester made by granite security out of texas, and its been great btw. I will give it good reviews but given the chance I'd take that bighorn in a heartbeat due to the plug in capabilities.

Just an FYI, the bighorn 19ecb does have a pre-drilled hole for a wire, but no plug in capabilities. The cannon safes offer a outlet/USB. But this can be easily added to any safe.

Blarson
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Anyone have a 19ECB Bighorn willing to share photos? No Tractor Supply near me.

Someone just posted a couple of pictures of the 19ECB in the Bighorn thread. Looks good.