PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Fund setup

jb7706
06-13-2012, 9:41 PM
All-

I'm exploring the idea of setting up a scholarship to encourage and reward young people for supporting the 2A. It seems to me that there are plenty of scholarships that promote a wide array of other subjects. It's appears to be tough to find 2A related awards.

I think I can line up reliable funding, but before I get too crazy with this idea and dump a whole bunch of very limited time into it I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience setting up or running a scholarship. I'm mostly interested from the standpoint of legal requirements. I'm not looking for advice, only how hairy it is and roughly what is entailed, along with what it takes to administer such a thing. I'll get legal assistance if necessary, but funds are too limited to have a guy bill me $500 to say it is not a good idea.

Why post this here? It directly affects the support and promotion of 2A rights, we may be able to help the next Alan Gura or Jason Davis, and this forum has more of the experience I need to get a level set. Feel free to IM or email if it's easier for you, TIA for any help.

wildhawker
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Funny you bring this up, I was just thinking about it over the weekend...

dantodd
06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I think it is a great idea. I think that a basic scholarship can be managed much like any trust. The complications come when the money starts getting big and things like endowment restrictions etc. come in to play. As a scholarship find you can probably attain non-profit status as a public benefit org pretty easily too. Give me a call you should be able to get my number from FB. I'd love to help and participate.

bwiese
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
With a large amount of money a coalition could begin a Quiet Scholarship program.

Full free ride, with contract (i.e, full payback with interest required if they 'flip').

These people never join NRA, etc. They eschew traditional conservative politics [esp in CA] and are 'moderate'.
They may even make 'reasonble gun control' statements at dinners. They do not own more than a shotgun.

After college, these people intern as legislative aides, go into law school/law, law enforcement or regulatory affairs and quietly rise thru ranks into usefulness (senior leg aide, local DA office, police administration, AG office as deputy DA, etc.)

We don't necessarily need them in the antigun orgs (i.e., like Mary McFate did - we pretty much know what those orgs order of battle is anyway).

Some of these folks we simply never expect to 'act' and or never require to act [even if it would be direly useful] so as to maintain cover. We do not seek key investigatory (truly protected) information.

Our folks just send back information o help future political-regulatory navigation. These people can be useful to show/detect that PRARs/FOIA requests were substandard and illegally incomplete. Or that an investigator has a compromised background that could be exposed in a gun case. They can provide info on personalities of and scuttlebutt about our opponents (alcoholic? indebted?) in agencies. In committees, they can be merely be reasonable and procedural, and sometimes just by NOT being an antigun advocate can slow or block things or prevent further development.

In many roles, these men & women may also be protected by Whistleblower protections, esp as much of if not all the info they'd supply (policy planning etc.) is not protected.

dantodd
06-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Bill, that sounds like a sleeper cell, not a scholarship fund. ;-)

bwiese
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Bill, that sounds like a sleeper cell, not a scholarship fund. ;-)

It's the way you recruit ;-) College costs are going up!

Librarian
06-14-2012, 2:22 PM
These sites seem helpful:
http://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarship-information/setting-up-a-scholarship/
http://scholarship.lifetips.com/cat/65674/setting-up-a-scholarship/index.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4736606_set-up-scholarship-fund.html
http://www.foundationnews.org/CME/article.cfm?id=1510

FatCity67
06-14-2012, 4:42 PM
With a large amount of money a coalition could begin a Quiet Scholarship program.

Full free ride, with contract (i.e, full payback with interest required if they 'flip').

These people never join NRA, etc. They eschew traditional conservative politics [esp in CA] and are 'moderate'.
They may even make 'reasonble gun control' statements at dinners. They do not own more than a shotgun.

After college, these people intern as legislative aides, go into law school/law, law enforcement or regulatory affairs and quietly rise thru ranks into usefulness (senior leg aide, local DA office, police administration, AG office as deputy DA, etc.)

We don't necessarily need them in the antigun orgs (i.e., like Mary McFate did - we pretty much know what those orgs order of battle is anyway).

Some of these folks we simply never expect to 'act' and or never require to act [even if it would be direly useful] so as to maintain cover. We do not seek key investigatory (truly protected) information.

Our folks just send back information o help future political-regulatory navigation. These people can be useful to show/detect that PRARs/FOIA requests were substandard and illegally incomplete. Or that an investigator has a compromised background that could be exposed in a gun case. They can provide info on personalities of and scuttlebutt about our opponents (alcoholic? indebted?) in agencies. In committees, they can be merely be reasonable and procedural, and sometimes just by NOT being an antigun advocate can slow or block things or prevent further development.

In many roles, these men & women may also be protected by Whistleblower protections, esp as much of if not all the info they'd supply (policy planning etc.) is not protected.

It's the way you recruit ;-) College costs are going up!

AGORN

pHredd9mm
06-14-2012, 5:02 PM
I don't think you could put restrictions or a contract on a scholarship if the recipient "flips" their ideals after receiving the scholarship. What could be setup is a student "loan" program with "forgiveness" if the recipient did a certain amount of work (like a 2A attorney or 2A rights advocate) to basically zero out the loan and accrued interest over a number of years. Kinda like a loan program that forgives student loans and interest for public service like teaching in the ghettos.

BTW, many years ago, when I graduated I was runner-up for two major scholarships ($4500 a year, in 1969, for 4 years!) in my hometown to a girl in my graduating class who was going to be "a chemical engineer, a nurse, a music student, and a special education teacher." Two scholarships that I had "in the bag" for academics and financial need had technical priorities on them (chemical engineer was one and the other was a music major). If no one was going to study those programs then they went to the most other qualified student (me). Well obviously she lied to garner all the monies regardless what she was going to be (a political science degree if I remember correctly -- :chris: ). It meant I went to a local state college instead of to Stanford.