PDA

View Full Version : Probation and WWII Reenactments.

NaughtyMonkey
06-13-2012, 9:27 PM
So I do the WWII Reenactments. I also collect C&R Weapons. Anyways my cousin got in some trouble for reckless discharge of a firearm, He was sentenced to three years probation. (No Weapons During Probation) is what his paper says. If he attends a Reenactment and borrows a weapon for the battle, would this be violating his probation. I'm not 100% on this.

Please only people who honestly know the answer. Thank you, its very appreciated.

tacticalcity
06-13-2012, 9:32 PM
I would definately NOT risk it. But I am no expert.

SoCal Bob
06-13-2012, 9:32 PM
The safest way to know for sure is for him to ask his probation officer.

NaughtyMonkey
06-13-2012, 9:48 PM
Alright, how about playing as Medic, where he doesn't have a weapon?

DSB
06-13-2012, 9:48 PM
So I do the WWII Reenactments. I also collect C&R Weapons. Anyways my cousin got in some trouble for reckless discharge of a firearm, He was sentenced to three years probation. (No Weapons During Probation) is what his paper says. If he attends a Reenactment and borrows a weapon for the battle, would this be violating his probation. I'm not 100% on this.

Please only people who honestly know the answer. Thank you, its very appreciated.

Bad idea. You answered your own question (see bolded portions).

Your cousin needs to check with his probation officer and the judge who handed down his sentence to be sure, though.

DSB
06-13-2012, 9:51 PM
Alright, how about playing as Medic, where he doesn't have a weapon?

Again, he needs to check with his P.O.. No one here can answer the question definitively.

NaughtyMonkey
06-13-2012, 9:54 PM
Ok thanks for the help anyways.

ElCUBANO
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
I would tell him don't do it. I have been a PO for 22 years and if I received information one of my probationer was in possession of a firearm under any circumstances I would arrest him and move to revoke his probation. In my experience probationers that violate their probation always end up getting caught. People take pictures at reenactments. One picture is all it would take. That happened with one of my cases and he got time. Smart thing to do is follow the rules. Wait till he has served half the grant of probation then have your attorney take the matter back to court and ask for an early term. PM me if you have any questions.

NaughtyMonkey
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Ok thanks. I will tell him. I'll also message you.

Ron-Solo
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
He would be in violation. No weapons means NO WEAPONS.

The suggestion to portray a medic is a good one if he truly loves re-enacting.

Quiet
06-13-2012, 10:59 PM
He would be in violation. No weapons means NO WEAPONS.

The suggestion to portray a medic is a good one if he truly loves re-enacting.

What he said.

jimx
06-14-2012, 6:55 AM
Would he be able to use a demilled one? Like the M1’s used for drills, bolt welded & hole in barrel. Or maybe one that is permanently modified to only fire blanks?

CSACANNONEER
06-14-2012, 7:00 AM
I checked into this regarding Civil War reenacting. DOJ said it was a no go for a prohibited person period! Yes, Ca law does consider frontloaders to legally be firearms when they are loaded. In the end, a prohibited person should probably not even attend a reenactment as a spectator since, they could have access to a firearm left unattended for a moment.

Decoligny
06-14-2012, 7:59 AM

If the "weapons" being used in the reenactments are indeed firearms, and not simply replicas of firearms, then he will 100% be in violation of his probation.

Even a non-functioning firearm is considered a firearm under the law. If these reenactment weapons are non-functioning firearms, and he borrows one, he will be in violation of his probation.

If he absolutely has to reenact, I suggest he take up the role of medic, and not carry a weapon unless he wants to serve out his sentence behind bars.

cadurand
06-14-2012, 8:11 AM
While I've never been on probation I've known a few people who have been and one who currently is.

The people on probation most likely to succeed are the ones who actually listen to their probation officers and follow the rules they are given. The rules are very clear. There aren't any tricks when it comes to the rules.

No weapons means exactly what is means. No weapons. You don't have to be an expert in anything to understand that simple rule.

I have a nephew on probation. He reallys wants me to take him shooting. He tells me "My probation offier just said I couldn't own any weapons."

I told him he's just looking for trouble and I'm not going to be part of it.

So do your buddy a favor and tell him to keep away from weapons. If he's not banned for life then he'll be able to re-enact all he likes a few years from now.

dantodd
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Depending upon how Realistic your reenactments are I might simply suggest he skip it. If he's playing medic and so much as scoots a weapon away from another reenactor or has anything that resembles control of the weapon he is up for a stay in prison. Not worth it IMO.

POLICESTATE
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Tell him to look at his paperwork. Pretty sure it will say possession is prohibited. Ownership, possession, etc....

Tell him to play the part of an officer with an empty flap holster?

timdps
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
The California Historical Group (CHG - main WWII reenacting club in CA) bylaws state that to be a member, you MUST be allowed to own firearms, so if its the CHG we are talking bout he can not technically even be a member of the club, much less attend battles.

If the "weapons" being used in the reenactments are indeed firearms, and not simply replicas of firearms, then he will 100% be in violation of his probation.

FYI The weapons used in WWII reenacting are, for the most part, original WWII firearms firing blanks (bolt action, revolvers) or adapted to fire blanks in the case of semi-auto pistols, rifles and recreations of the MGs (MG34/42, M1919, Bren, DP28, DShk, PPs43 and others).

There are also a few ATF approved full auto blank only guns: MP40, PPsh41, Thompson SMG.

Tim

gazzavc
06-14-2012, 1:48 PM
Which unit does he reenact with ?

stix213
06-14-2012, 3:35 PM
Maybe he could use one of these?

Airsoft M1 Garand
http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ReviewDetail?reviewID=223

http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/review/223/PROFILE-L.jpg

Scott Connors
06-14-2012, 7:06 PM

Even a non-functioning firearm is considered a firearm under the law. If these reenactment weapons are non-functioning firearms, and he borrows one, he will be in violation of his probation.

If he absolutely has to reenact, I suggest he take up the role of medic, and not carry a weapon unless he wants to serve out his sentence behind bars.

Back when I was in re-enacting, one of the honchos in our unit had a felony conviction for possession of an unregistered machine gun (happened in the late fifties, he got probation, but the '68 GCA made his possession illegal). He carried a replica, non-firing MP40. But this was in Ohio and Pennsylvania and the 1980s, and I have no idea how current law would handle this. Since this is California, I wouldn't recommend he get involved in re-enacting. Then again, him playing Call of Duty is probably not a good idea either.

An earlier poster is correct: stuff like this always come to light. One photo on Facebook and he gets a muscular, hairy roommate.

NaughtyMonkey
06-15-2012, 3:17 AM
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I will have him read all this. If he still wants to go. It's on him.

- Thanks for the help!

CaptMike
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
hey there
I have been a Deputy Probation Officer for 13 years. As has been stated previously, tell your budy to abide by his conditions of probatiion and stay as far away from firearms as possible. He is risking his freedom just being near the reenactment. If he wants to risk it, that's on him. I enjoy my freedom and would never risk it to participate in or simply watch a reenactment.

timdps
06-15-2012, 5:19 PM
Maybe he could use one of these?

Airsoft M1 Garand
http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ReviewDetail?reviewID=223

Maybe... if it were unloaded. No one is wearing eye protection in WWII reenacting (except people who need to wear glasses), so shooting an airsoft gun would not b allowed.

However, to be on the safe side, I would suggest him NOT attending a reenactment.

tim