PDA

View Full Version : CGF makes it to Slashdot

cyberhh
06-13-2012, 5:30 PM
Sorry if this was posted already, I did not find it.

Calguns was referenced on Slashdot today:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/06/13/215204/blocking-gun-laws-with-patents?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashdot%2FeqWf+%28Slashdot%3 A+Slashdot%29&utm_content=Bloglines

elSquid
06-13-2012, 5:32 PM
Well, now we know why the site was slow.

"Slashdotted!"

:D

-- Michael

speedrrracer
06-13-2012, 6:27 PM
We can say we knew Calguns "way back when" ;)

PEBKAC
06-13-2012, 7:25 PM
I died laughing. Oh man. :D

I hadn't heard about the patent thing. That is the kind of brilliance that makes me know things will get better in CA.

wjc
06-13-2012, 7:33 PM
People still read Slashdot?

That's so early 90's :D

DrDavid
06-13-2012, 7:44 PM

Still like /. -- But, these days I'm on Reddit a whole lot more.

DrDavid
06-13-2012, 7:49 PM
Best comment on /. I saw: "Expecting violent criminals to care about legislation like this is like expecting a terrorist to care his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces."

Satex
06-13-2012, 8:42 PM
I never could have imagined that Calgun Foundation would make it to Slashdot but they did:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/06/13/215204/blocking-gun-laws-with-patents

Congrats CGF!

DrDavid
06-13-2012, 8:47 PM
:dupe:

This was posted earlier..

hoffmang
06-13-2012, 8:48 PM
Slashdotting is indeed an achievement to be proud of.

-Gene

GNE
06-13-2012, 8:49 PM
Microstamped shell casings, meet tape and a paper bag over the ejection port.

Markinsac
06-13-2012, 9:37 PM
It was excerpted from a FRONT page article in the New York Times!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/us/code-on-shell-casings-sparks-a-gun-debate.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

SanPedroShooter
06-14-2012, 5:21 AM
Why do foreigners hate guns so much?

You wanna hear some hardcore craziness, talk to a non American about guns.

dwtt
06-14-2012, 5:27 AM

That seems to be prevalent among the countries in the British Commonwealth. That is definately not true in Thailand, since I know a quite a few Thai people who love guns. Also, polo shirts with gun logos are common and popular here even if the person with the shirt doesn't own a gun. Glock shirts are the most popular, followed by Colt and CZ. Almost noone wears a Ruger shirt. :D

ubet
06-14-2012, 5:35 AM

So, maybe we didnt see it. No one cares if its a dupe or not. If you have read it, dont click on the damned thread then.

Hozr
06-14-2012, 6:32 AM
I was very surprised to read my morning nerdiness and see Calguns listed. Congrats. Not even a bad article really, could use links to sources but at least it was pretty balanced.

SanPedroShooter
06-14-2012, 6:38 AM
That seems to be prevalent among the countries in the British Commonwealth. That is definately not true in Thailand, since I know a quite a few Thai people who love guns. Also, polo shirts with gun logos are common and popular here even if the person with the shirt doesn't own a gun. Glock shirts are the most popular, followed by Colt and CZ. Almost noone wears a Ruger shirt. :D

You're right, I apologize. I should have said Europeans. Or wanna be's like Canada or Australia.

Its funny I know a guy from england here in LA, and he is into guns, but he also spent many years living in Thailand...

Dreaded Claymore
06-14-2012, 8:36 AM
If this guy (http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2914179&cid=40318051) isn't an American, as he* claims, we should get him here, sponsor him for permanent residency, get him citizenship after the requisite five years, and put him on a federal court bench.

*or she

SanPedroShooter
06-14-2012, 8:47 AM
What is slashdot?

DrDavid
06-14-2012, 8:52 AM
What is slashdot?
It's an old website frequented by nerds and geeks.

winslowgirl
06-14-2012, 9:35 AM
Microstamped shell casings, meet tape and a paper bag over the ejection port.

Microstamped shell casings (issues), meet revolver.

curtisfong
06-14-2012, 9:38 AM
What is slashdot?

My default home page.

Not reddit, not boing boing, not facebook.

njineermike
06-14-2012, 9:48 AM

I'm working in Canada right now. The Mall shooting in Toronto has Ontario looking into an ammunition ban, and nobody here thinks it's a bad idea. Someone actually asked me what it was like living someplace where people drive up and down the street shooting guns at each other everywhere. I asked her WTH she was talking about, and she said "everybody knows" American towns and cities are war zones where people are shooting each other. She thought the whole country was like Baghdad.

dantodd
06-14-2012, 9:54 AM

Where is the dupe thread? This is the first I've seen of the slash dot posting. If you are referring to the NYT thread, this is different.

DrDavid
06-14-2012, 9:58 AM
Where is the dupe thread? This is the first I've seen of the slash dot posting. If you are referring to the NYT thread, this is different.
Six threads below this one: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=583667

dantodd
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Six threads below this one: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=583667

Found after I posted. Posting the thread link is good practice when duping someone. :)

Python2
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
That seems to be prevalent among the countries in the British Commonwealth. That is definately not true in Thailand, since I know a quite a few Thai people who love guns.

....nor in the Philippines

winslowgirl
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
WHAT WOULD IMPLEMENTATION OF MICROSTAMPING IN CALIFORNIA REALLY MEAN?

The law of (un)intended consequences would suggest that implementation of microstamping would trigger other legislation requiring that firing pins and slides can ONLY be purchased in person from an FFL who would confirm the purchaser's identity and create a record tying the new microstamped parts to the purchaser.

Or indeed, the legislation might reasonably additionally require that the purchaser take the original weapon (the lower) to the FFL for installation of the new microstamped part by the FFL, thus tying the new part to a single weapon. In the latter circumstance it would be reasonable to require that microstamped parts from one gun, cannot without due process, be fitted to another gun that you may own - even though the stamp identifies you as the owner.

That part (b) subsection iv of the legislation would be required since the original enabling legislation (paragraph 3(a), subsection (xxi) requires that any microstamped part be attached to one and only one registered firearm.

Where a microstamped part is replaced with another microstamped part, the original microstamped part cannot be used on any other firearm, until it has been registered to that other firearm.

The amendment to Chapter Three of the originating legislation also would necessarily require that any used and discarded microstamped part MUST be registered in the Discarded Microstamped Parts Register, when it is surrendered to an authorized receiver.

An authorized receiver will be licensed by the state to receive discarded microstamped parts from the owner of the registered firearm with which the microstamped part is associated.

It is expected that FFLs will be the licensed agents of the state for the purposes of disposal of such parts, though FFLs will be required to apply separately for that authority. To insure the security and integrity of the system, the authority will be granted to a minimum numbers of FFL's within the state.

Fees payable by owners of record - a reasonable additional fee to cover the cost of implementing and maintaining the amended DROS shall be set by the state. A reasonable fee to cover FFL's cost of registering microstamped parts in the amended DROS will be set by the state.

A reasonable fee to cover the cost of implementing and maintaining the Discarded Microstamped Parts Register will be set by the state.

An additional fee to cover the costs of the FFL's cost in registering discarded microstamped parts in the Discarded Microstamped Parts Register will be set by the state.

Penalties - it shall be a felony to purchase, procure, or possess, any microstamped part, or part not microstamped but deemed to require microstamping, as detailed in paragraph f, line (xxvi), through f, line (xxxiii), of Chapter Seventeen of the enabling legislation, that is not registered in the DROS associated with the firearm. The penalty for non compliance shall not exceed two years in state prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

Upon conviction for a second offence the penalty will be life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, and a 10 million dollar fine.

bwiese
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Winslowgirl,

In theory yes, but antigun legislation has little cohesiveness. Once a bill is passed on a given subject, legislators want to move on to some other 'aspect du jour'. The legislators are looking for an issue to hang on the wall more than the antis have sway with them to make bills workable.

If what you say were true, CA AW laws would not be as f***ked up as they are with all sorts of exploitable gaps, etc.

CA firearms law is so complex now that in fact there's often accidental benefits [at least in the court battles] for every new law generated. I note that the very recent Leland Yee AW/maglock bill and the Dickinson cops-retiring-with-AWs bills can well be opportunity generators for us.

Librarian
06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I find the comments at slashdot on this little article to be pretty amusing.

Just the same tired arguments.

Wildeman_13
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
I find the comments at slashdot on this little article to be pretty amusing.

Just the same tired arguments.

Although this comment made me giggle.
Why not a pilot program like every other new change? Instead of going for a universal law on every gun sold, why not just require it for police weapons? See how that works, and also make it optional for gun owners who want to have the feature on their guns. Police can even put the microstamp technology on guns and gun-walk them into troubled neighborhoods, like the Department of Justice did with guns to Mexico (sans the microstamp technology).
So this person is actually advocating the giving/selling/losing of guns to criminals in order to see if micro stamping works. I'm just baffled that anyone could be so dense.

Satex
06-14-2012, 12:59 PM

You should be permabanned for that comment ;)

wjc
06-14-2012, 1:45 PM
You should be permabanned for that comment ;)

I've evolved. I read The Register and Calguns now. :D

Scarecrow Repair
06-15-2012, 5:34 AM

It's not Americans vs everybody else. Plenty of Americans don't like guns.

It starts with the assumption that all human life is sacred. Resisting a criminal only adds to the death toll. Therefore it doesn't matter if criminals have guns and victims don't, because the end goal is reducing the number of deaths, period, not the number of dead victims at the expense of dead robbers.

It's very simple logic, given the basic assumption that death is bad, whether a criminal or a victim. All people have family and friends who also suffer when someone dies, whether that someone is criminal or victim. It doesn't matter in the slightest how many criminals kill their victims; even if 100% do, resistance doesn't decrease that, therefore is pointless.

It also doesn't matter a whit if you agree with that logic or not. If you can't understand the opponent, you are not helping the cause.

SanPedroShooter
06-15-2012, 6:24 AM
It's not Americans vs everybody else. Plenty of Americans don't like guns.

It starts with the assumption that all human life is sacred. Resisting a criminal only adds to the death toll. Therefore it doesn't matter if criminals have guns and victims don't, because the end goal is reducing the number of deaths, period, not the number of dead victims at the expense of dead robbers.

It's very simple logic, given the basic assumption that death is bad, whether a criminal or a victim. All people have family and friends who also suffer when someone dies, whether that someone is criminal or victim. It doesn't matter in the slightest how many criminals kill their victims; even if 100% do, resistance doesn't decrease that, therefore is pointless.

It also doesn't matter a whit if you agree with that logic or not. If you can't understand the opponent, you are not helping the cause.

I think it is America vs. everyone else. Can you think of another 1st world country where people can fully exercise their right keep and bear arms? The difference between someone that hates guns in the US and someone that hates guns in the EU is, in this country they are fringe minority, in the EU their crazy opinion also happens to be the law....

I dont disagree with your analysis, but I think there are some things that arent worth understanding. I know it popular these days to try and figure out every little thing someone does and every feeling someone has, usually the more misguided or depraved the more we should 'understand' it.... Remeber those old beer comercials 'why ask why?' Foreign gun control hysteria can stay over there. We have enough problems with people that wish California was part of the EU.

Even the antis in this country sound pro gun compared to some europeans. They have to temper their message so they dont sound totally insane. There are phrases and words that you just wont hear someone from brady say. Not yet anyway. Read the comments from the article and compare the holophobic comments. You can usually spot the europeans. They are more sure of themselves for one thing (typical for people that have no experience with what they hate and fear. I have done a bit of this myself on this topic). People that hate guns in the US seem to be on the fence on some issues. Their immersion and exposure to guns is unconscious. Even the most raving gun hater in this country has a relative or neighbor that owns a gun. They may even own one themselves. There are plenty of those.

Its obvious that 'end game' is England or Australia. Is it really necessary to understand why? Will that sway either sides opinion? I dont see any room for compromise, its not like if we all just sat down and talked it over at the UN we could all agree.... Thankfully in the US, it doesnt matter what foreigners think on this issue. And as far as politics are concerned, I am more interested in 'what' than 'why'.

I dont need to understand the complexities of neo nazis or holocaust deniers, for example, to know they're wrong or to help the cause. My checkbook can speak for itself.

sandwich
06-15-2012, 1:33 PM
wjc: some of us (OK maybe just me) read /. AND Calguns.

m03
06-15-2012, 2:09 PM
So this person is actually advocating the giving/selling/losing of guns to criminals in order to see if micro stamping works. I'm just baffled that anyone could be so dense.

I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

Shotgun Man
06-15-2012, 7:38 PM
I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

Haha, I was about to type, "I think he was being sarcastic, you idiot."

Given the passage of this legislation, I have no objection to implementing a pilot microstamping program for the police considering society's heightened interest in ensuring their compliance with the expected norms of society. If they modified their duty weapons to defeat the microstamping, they could be held criminally and administratively responsible.