PDA

View Full Version : Long gun private sales

Lrhiker
06-13-2012, 5:36 PM
I asked a local gun dealer a couple questions today and was alarmed by the answers.
First question was can i sell a 70 year old long gun without a ppt cash and carry?
He said absolutely not and that i would got to jail without a doubt if i did.
I asked how i would do a transfer on a gun that is not registered to me.
He said it is illegal for me to have that gun without having it registered.
I had inherited the gun along with several others, all long guns, from my dad and brought them with me when i moved from washington state.
He said that when i moved i had 30 days to inform the state that i had brought the long guns and to get them registered.
I told him that sounds like the rules for handguns not long guns.
He got very angry and said i didnt know what i was talking about, and frankly maybe i dont.
I can not seem to find much information from doj or atf. They also seem to word things to make you think you are required to do more than is actually required by the law.

So can anyone clarify this for me?

rromeo
06-13-2012, 5:47 PM
Everything he said is wrong.

Librarian
06-13-2012, 5:53 PM
I asked a local gun dealer a couple questions today and was alarmed by the answers.

First question was can i sell a 70 year old long gun without a ppt cash and carry?
He said absolutely not and that i would got to jail without a doubt if i did.

I asked how i would do a transfer on a gun that is not registered to me.
He said it is illegal for me to have that gun without having it registered.

I had inherited the gun along with several others, all long guns, from my dad and brought them with me when i moved from washington state.

He said that when i moved i had 30 days to inform the state that i had brought the long guns and to get them registered.
I told him that sounds like the rules for handguns not long guns.

He got very angry and said i didnt know what i was talking about, and frankly maybe i dont.

I can not seem to find much information from doj or atf. They also seem to word things to make you think you are required to do more than is actually required by the law.

So can anyone clarify this for me?

Sure. Dealer was wrong.

Until Jan 1 2014, in California it's legal to sell a 50+ year old long gun without using an FFL.

Again, until Jan 1 2014, for long guns, only Registered Assault Weapons and things voluntarily registered are registered. There is no requirement that any gun other than RAWs be registered.

California does not require registering long guns when you move here (it's illegal to import 'assault weapons' so you can't register those, if you have any.)

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms,
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration,
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California

You need a new dealer.

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2012, 6:24 PM
He's either a moron or it was "backwards day".

12voltguy
06-13-2012, 6:42 PM
name dealer so others can be warned please.

it's his own fault for giving out false info
pretty irresponsible of him too!

Lrhiker
06-13-2012, 7:26 PM
Ralston rod and tackle in scotts valley. The guy is very rude and seems to be very missinformed.

Big Ben
06-14-2012, 8:08 AM
In my experience, local gun shop employees tend to provide lots of bad advice about guns and gun laws. I can't tell you how often I hear things in gun shops that just make me cringe. And too often, people accept the information from these "experts" as the absolute truth. Glad you aren't doing the same.

Welcome to the forum, and continue your research/education on your own. This forum is a great resource, and the folks here generally provide accurate answers and are able to cite the relevant source information.

surfguy
06-14-2012, 8:19 AM
Give Robert or Wes a call at Santa Cruz Armory. I've dealt with them before and they are really straight shooters in the figurative if not literal sense as well. They are in Ben Lomond and PPT fees are not too bad.

YubaRiver
06-14-2012, 8:46 AM
Seem the answers are not clear.

"and PPT fees are not too bad. "

and

"Until Jan 1 2014, in California it's legal to sell a 50+ year old long gun without using an FFL."

Does he need to do a ppt through a dealer or not for long guns?

dustoff31
06-14-2012, 9:00 AM

Currently:

"Until Jan 1 2014, in California it's legal to sell a 50+ year old long gun without using an FFL."

That changes on 1/1/14.

Long guns <50 years old must go through an FFL.

VaderSpade
06-14-2012, 9:13 AM
PPT fees are not too bad.

Aren't they set by law???

Lrhiker
06-14-2012, 9:38 AM
I will check out sc armory for sure. I am in ben lomond too so that would be convenient. I usually use jim at arms and arrows in boulder creek. He is a very pleasant guy with a lot of knowledge, but he is only doing transfers in his spare time so he can be difficult to reach.
I had a similar experience with markleys in watsonville. It sad because they scare away potential new gun owners.

surfguy
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I've never done a PPT so I should have said: Ordering firearms and paying SC armory to transfer it is cheaper there than other places around here. Just my opinion based on the limited checking around I've done. I've been into Ralston's and my experiance was typical of what the op experianced as well. I hear they have great stuff for archers though.
Sorry for the confusion.

Mongoblack23
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
what kind of rifle are we talking about here? that will help clarify the laws for you.

CHS
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
You clearly already had all of the correct information.

So why on earth did you walk into a dealer to ask for clarification?

Lrhiker
06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I didnt have all the information. I was told by a friend that 50 year long guns may be cash and carry. I wanted a confirmation before selling. After he ranted about registering long guns i thought something was fishy.
Now i have been directed to the correct information source and know for sure.
The gun was a mauser 98, but the type is really not that important. Rifle, shotgun, rimfire, centerfire doesnt matter. 50 years or older and not banned otherwise is ok for cash and carry.

Librarian
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Seem the answers are not clear.

"and PPT fees are not too bad. "

and

If the long gun is less than 50 years old, yes. After Jan 1 2014, any long gun, made after 1898, must use the FFL.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Definition_of_a_firearm/gun

CHS
06-14-2012, 1:12 PM
I didnt have all the information. I was told by a friend that 50 year long guns may be cash and carry. I wanted a confirmation before selling. After he ranted about registering long guns i thought something was fishy.
Now i have been directed to the correct information source and know for sure.
The gun was a mauser 98, but the type is really not that important. Rifle, shotgun, rimfire, centerfire doesnt matter. 50 years or older and not banned otherwise is ok for cash and carry.

It still begs the question: Why did you go to a dealer first in order to ask these questions instead of coming onto Calguns, which it looks like you already knew about?

Lrhiker
06-14-2012, 2:25 PM
That is a good question. Mostly because i was in a bit of a hurry. I was gonna meet the buyer later that day.
I have been very impressed by the responses here and will check here first from now on.

Mongoblack23
06-14-2012, 4:16 PM
the only reason i asked is to make sure it wasnt something that may be banned here. but yes, 50 year or older, or on the list of C&R is cash and carry.

and yes, this site is a wealth of information, has saved me money, cost me more, and kept friends out of jail... just make sure to use the search button, or the trolls will get ya!

Mssr. Eleganté
06-14-2012, 4:42 PM
...but yes, 50 year or older, or on the list of C&R is cash and carry.

Being on the C&R list doesn't make a long gun cash and carry. There are many long guns on the C&R list that aren't yet 50 years old.