PDA

View Full Version : DOJ delayed my purchase

smerk
06-13-2012, 5:52 PM
im not sure this is even the right area to post but im frustrated the dealer called me told me my purchase was delayed told me to call this number give them my DROS i call them no anwser no call back.

Ive never been convicted of a felony. i was charged a couple years back. but my laywer got the charges dropped. i was convicted of a little pot misdameanor like 7 years ago and thats it. can they deny me because of that? the dealer told me only if i was convicted of a felony.

hadda edit it. just read what straw purchase was. ya not going to happen

Merc1138
06-13-2012, 5:58 PM
im not sure this is even the right area to post but im frustrated the dealer called me told me my purchase was delayed told me to call this number give them my DROS i call them no anwser no call back.

Ive never been convicted of a felony. i was charged a couple years back. but my laywer got the charges dropped. i was convicted of a little pot misdameanor like 7 years ago and thats it. can they deny me because of that? the dealer told me only if i was convicted of a felony. if i would of known this might happen would of put it under my wifes name

You rely on your dealer for legal advice?

You'd have your wife make a straw purchase?

You can't be serious...

smerk
06-13-2012, 6:31 PM
dealer told me. ya you can have her do it no biggie happens all the time.

Bartin
06-13-2012, 6:31 PM
:popcorn:

smerk
06-13-2012, 6:34 PM
ya nevermind. just read what that means.

stilly
06-13-2012, 6:37 PM
Yeah but in all honesty as long as he lives with her and they are married does it really matter on a long gun his or hers? Oh no! LOOPHOLE!

DOJ musta mixed up your name with some other mohammad allah ackbar karumph abdul and you see what happens when you refuse to put down your SSN where it is optional? Now you gotta wait just because you wanted to stay off the grid for that little bit of the paperwork... They warn you on that DROS that the SSN is JUST for IDENTIFICATION purposes and not really to track ya... As far as straw purchases go on a pistol it counts, well, kinda sorta. AGAIN, if you are living together does it REALLY matter? No really, in REAL LIFE does it really matter? If you were divorced or living at seperate locations then I can see a red flag or two...

What'sHisName
06-13-2012, 6:39 PM
They've been denying purchases due to not updating DMV records as well lately.

smerk
06-13-2012, 6:43 PM
does the delay mean im going to be denied? or they just want to check into my background more?:

tanakasan
06-13-2012, 7:31 PM
^^This.

Delay is not denied. Sucks, but wait and let the chips fall. G/L!

Robert

Kodemonkey
06-13-2012, 7:35 PM
does the delay mean im going to be denied? or they just want to check into my background more?:

I've seen a couple threads of delays and they usually get straightened out. Keep calling, they probably have someone that has an arrest that has a name similar to yours. Or, it could be that they are generally incompetent at the DOJ. take your pick.

peppermintman
06-13-2012, 8:06 PM
You rely on your dealer for legal advice?

You'd have your wife make a straw purchase?

You can't be serious...

That's a very interesting question. If you got a delay, not denial or rufusial can the purchase and transfer be done with the wife? I have a similar problem that I'd just like to go away. So, can I tell my FFL to do the transfer through my wife? At least it'll be in the same safe.

Kodemonkey
06-13-2012, 8:23 PM
That's a very interesting question. If you got a delay, not denial or rufusial can the purchase and transfer be done with the wife? I have a similar problem that I'd just like to go away. So, can I tell my FFL to do the transfer through my wife? At least it'll be in the same safe.

In short, if the gun is for you - no. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense in the real world, but the FFL is probably going to worry it is a straw sale. And, it will probably be interpreted by the DOJ as such.

If you have a recurring problem, start a thread here on Calguns and ask for help. That's the correct way to solve the problem.

G38xOC
06-13-2012, 9:08 PM
I've seen a couple threads of delays and they usually get straightened out. Keep calling, they probably have someone that has an arrest that has a name similar to yours. Or, it could be that they are generally incompetent at the DOJ. take your pick.

^ this

i was one delay case as well . it was identity mix up . it was sqaured away few hours later tho

04slogoat
06-13-2012, 9:34 PM
They've been denying purchases due to not updating DMV records as well lately.

I dont think DMV records matters. I DROS for my SCAR16 last april and I moved last december to my new home and I didnt notify or did a change of address with DMV but updated my mailing address with USPS. Back to the OP, I hope everything works out and you get your firearm. Good luck!!!

kris smith
06-13-2012, 9:54 PM
DMV unpaid fees and stuff will delay it

Kappy
06-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Having your wife buy is still a straw purchase. Besides... don't you want it fixed? Don't you want it in your name?

707electrician
06-14-2012, 12:06 AM
This is due to some "new training" the doj got and seems to be effecting quite a few people lately

Pupulepeter
06-14-2012, 5:00 AM
Seems like there are signs everywhere and questions on the DROS form regarding the newish policy - anyone who uses marajuana, medical or not, is forbidden to own a gun. My understanding is that the DOJ is trying to crack down on this. If they have you on record that could be your hang up? Either way, good luck!

kris smith
06-14-2012, 6:19 AM
I've always seen the pot question on the form but I've only been buying since 2010

Some Guy
06-14-2012, 6:27 AM
Smerk, please take the time to go to this CGF link and fill out this form.

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/report-ca-doj.html

Kodemonkey
06-14-2012, 9:23 AM
Seems like there are signs everywhere and questions on the DROS form regarding the newish policy - anyone who uses marajuana, medical or not, is forbidden to own a gun. My understanding is that the DOJ is trying to crack down on this. If they have you on record that could be your hang up? Either way, good luck!

Yeah, um don't use your medical marijuana card as your second form of ID. Not saying you did - but I seem to remember one FFL talking about some moron that tried it.

Speedpower
06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
:popcorn: