PDA

View Full Version : MATEN mono, tube vs quad

Riksk
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Hey,
I'm looking at starting my 308 build, and I've been looking at the Mega MATEN monolithic sets.

I personally prefer the look of the quad rail vs the tubular upper (both in rifle length). However, I am planning to take this rifle out hunting, and doing a lot of walking with it. What I was wondering is if anyone out there has an idea of how much less weight the tubular has. Is it worth slimming down, or should I just base my choice on looks....or whats actually available for sale. LOL.

Thanks a ton,
Any other discussion regarding the difference between the mono sets is welcome as well.

Riksk

-hanko
06-13-2012, 1:32 PM
Hey,
I'm looking at starting my 308 build, and I've been looking at the Mega MATEN monolithic sets.

I personally prefer the look of the quad rail vs the tubular upper (both in rifle length). However, I am planning to take this rifle out hunting, and doing a lot of walking with it. What I was wondering is if anyone out there has an idea of how much less weight the tubular has. Is it worth slimming down, or should I just base my choice on looks....or whats actually available for sale. LOL.

Thanks a ton,
Any other discussion regarding the difference between the mono sets is welcome as well.

Riksk
Given you'll be "doing a lot of walking" and having done a bunch myself while hunting, why would you not pick a lightweight bolt gun?

Basing your choice on looks v. function and weight is a little hard for me to fathom, especially after a long day in the field. No one I've ever hunted with has been into "looks" on a hunting rifle...I'd be more concerned with the gun's relative ease of carry, accuracy, and general all around "handiness", if there's such a word.

Inquiring minds, etc.

-hanko

BigBamBoo
06-13-2012, 1:58 PM
I agree...large frame AR's are generally pretty heavy. I would look at a light weight bolt gun for hunting and carring around.

As for the handguard....I prefer the tubular model myself.

Mute
06-13-2012, 4:03 PM
I'll only use a railed handguard if I know for certain I'll be attaching accessories. They tend to be uncomfortable to hold without ladders or covers which would add unnecessary cost, bulk and weight.

I tend to be a pragmatist and will generally choose function over looks, so take that for what it's worth.

Mute
06-13-2012, 4:03 PM
I'll only use a railed handguard if I know for certain I'll be attaching accessories. They tend to be uncomfortable to hold without ladders or covers which would add unnecessary cost, bulk and weight.

I tend to be a pragmatist and will generally choose function over looks, so take that for what it's worth.

Riksk
06-13-2012, 4:41 PM
I can get 1 new gun ATM, and the AR will get a lot more use on the range and in the desert than a bolt gun would. I will only be spending a couple days a year hunting for the time being so it isn't as huge a concern. According to many posts of maten builds I have read, coming in around 10-12 pounds, I am comfortable with that for now. I am asking this question to assist me weighing function vs asthetics. I have not found much information on tubular upper builds to get an idea of how much less weight is involved.

Mute's point about the comfort of tube vs quad makes a compelling argument. However I am still interested in knowing what the actual weight difference is between the two uppers.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Riksk

Merc1138
06-13-2012, 4:57 PM
Call the manufacturer and ask what the weight difference is?

Mute
06-13-2012, 6:51 PM
There are heavy and lightweight systems for both railed and smooth handguards. You're not going to have a large difference in weight. If you're talking about Mega's own monolith instead of an aftermarket system, the easiest way to get your answer is to contact Mega about the weight difference between the two.

NSR500
06-13-2012, 8:27 PM
I have a monolithic railed MATEN. It has a 16"bbl and Magpul ACS stock. The gun is lighter than an M1A, 18" FAL, PTR91, LWRCI REPR, and even the Ruger SR556.
People are actually amazed at how balance and manageable it is.

killjoyken
06-14-2012, 6:52 AM
I did a google search and couldn't find the weight of the new tubular monolithic, but the weight of the quad rail is listed on Mega's website as 29.8 oz. If you compare the difference in weight of the 5.56 MTS monolithic models in rifle length (23 oz for tubular and 26 oz for quad) you can guess that the tubular should be 3 oz lighter.

Of course your best bet will be to contact Mega and ask them the actual weight.

Personally I prefer the tubular design for hunting. The smaller diameter is easier to grasp and it doesn't get hung up on clothing when you sling carry.

Hoop
06-14-2012, 7:05 AM
The MA-TEN railed model is about like having a Daniel Defense 'lite' rifle length quad rail on an upper. It isn't very heavy.

And yes AR308 are heavy. You should know that no matter what you do getting it under 9lbs unloaded unscoped will be a challenge whereas a bolt hunting rifle in 30-06 can be had at 7-8lbs no problem.

clutchy
06-14-2012, 8:03 PM
a .308 AR is heavy and a mega mono platform is even heavier... especially in rifle length.

I don't think i'd go the route you're going but if i did i'd go for the tube.

Arnelcheeze
06-15-2012, 3:02 PM
My Maten, with 20 inch heavy barrel, Troy MRF 13.8 quad rail, - weighs in at 14 lbs without a magazine! yes its heavy!!! I will be going with a PRI CF tube handguard.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/osg/Buzzards/IMG_0580.jpg