PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding 30 rounds mags to 20 round

SGTKane
06-13-2012, 1:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but my google-fu skills failed to confirm my assumptions, and with respect to California gun laws, you can never be too safe.

I have nine pre-ban 30 round mags. Three of them are on their last legs. The only rebuild kits I can find locally are or 20 round mags.

Logically I would assume that I can rebuild the 30 to 20's...execpt I have this nagging feeling that I'm manufacturing a "new" 20 round mag because I didn't own a 20 round mag.

Cactus_Tim
06-13-2012, 2:04 PM
Exile Machine is probably your best option.
Just order the ones you want to rebuild your 30 round mags.
Great company.
Good prices.
Fast shipping.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=456203

Baconator
06-13-2012, 2:37 PM
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but my google-fu skills failed to confirm my assumptions, and with respect to California gun laws, you can never be too safe.

I have nine pre-ban 30 round mags. Three of them are on their last legs. The only rebuild kits I can find locally are or 20 round mags.

Logically I would assume that I can rebuild the 30 to 20's...execpt I have this nagging feeling that I'm manufacturing a "new" 20 round mag because I didn't own a 20 round mag.

The law doesn't say 20-30-100 rounds, just greater than 10. As long as you don't end up with more functioning mags than you started with then you are good.

But you can order rebuild kits from exile machine or 44 mag or cal legal mags, or any number of vendors on here.

Sniper3142
06-13-2012, 7:03 PM
The law doesn't say 20-30-100 rounds, just greater than 10. As long as you don't end up with more functioning mags than you started with then you are good.

But you can order rebuild kits from exile machine or 44 mag or cal legal mags, or any number of vendors on here.

+1

You can rebuild your legally owned LCMs (Large Capacity Magazines) to hold more or less rounds; as long as they still hold at least 11 rounds.

It is considered wise to have at least one part in common between the original magazine and the rebuilt one.

SGTKane
06-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info and advice.

Now I'm wondering if I should rebuild them as 100 round drum magazines :)