PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 buffer issue

Solidc
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Whats goin on here? Is this a real issue? This a Barrett Rec7 with a UBR stock. I'm debating sending it back to Barrett.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8014/7369295098_4e745c7ec2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswakefield/7369295098/)

calgunner223
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Looks like the buffer is getting git so hard the metal is shaving off where the bcg hits it?

Are there pieces of metal in the tube?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Solidc
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like the buffer is getting git so hard the metal is shaving off where the bcg hits it?

Are there pieces of metal in the tube?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

No metal, its hitting the buffer retaining pin. The local gun store owner (a good one) thinks this is no problem, and says its fairly common.

Merc1138
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Looks more like it's hitting the buffer retaining pin and rotating(causing the marks to appear in different spots). How many rounds fired before you discovered it looked like that?

edit: Guess I was right. Before demanding barret start replacing things, simply ask them if it's normal first. Frankly I'd be more concerned about the buffer retaining pin than the buffer itself.

Solidc
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Looks more like it's hitting the buffer retaining pin and rotating(causing the marks to appear in different spots). How many rounds fired before you discovered it looked like that?

edit: Guess I was right. Before demanding barret start replacing things, simply ask them if it's normal first. Frankly I'd be more concerned about the buffer retaining pin than the buffer itself.

Around 900 or so rounds have been through this one. I agree, the retaining pin looks like the weak link here, but once again the local store owner believes its more than strong enough. I emailed this photo to Barrett and they gave me an RMA number and asked me to ship it at my expense. I imagine this is gonna cost me around 75 bucks with insurance etc... I either wanna put a recoil buffer on the bolt carrier (which oughtta solve it) or get enough input from calgunners to have a good argument for free shipping.

duc748bip
06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Maybe a sharp edge or a burr on the bcg? I think the retaining pin should be fine it is there only to hold the buffer in place when you open the rifle up. Bcg is usually cut to clear it

Solidc
06-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Maybe a sharp edge or a burr on the bcg? I think the retaining pin should be fine it is there only to hold the buffer in place when you open the rifle up. Bcg is usually cut to clear it

Well, the carrier is fine. When I compare it my girl's BCM, the carrier seems to sit a fraction of an inch farther "in". It is definitely the pin that is marking it uphttp://farm6.staticflickr.com/5236/7184177755_6b999e6056_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriswakefield/7184177755/)

kurac
06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
yup, that buffer is slapping the pin everytime the carrier cycles, maybe the carrier is out of spec by being too short.

Solidc
06-13-2012, 11:55 AM
yup, that buffer is slapping the pin everytime the carrier cycles, maybe the carrier is out of spec by being too short.

Yeah, I agree, I think I should try to get Barrett to pay for this whole deal. This is not acceptable on a $2500 AR.

SocomM4
06-13-2012, 4:08 PM
Could be the barrel extension or somewhere else in the upper, is the receiver extension loose? I've had my black spikes t2 for 500rds and it still looks new.
The carrier pushes the buffer back off the pin when you mate the upper. And the carrier should be flush with the back of the upper .

gunnerstuff
06-13-2012, 9:36 PM
Yep, looks like the BCG is in to far. Have you tried swapping bolts? This may narrow down whether the BCG is out of spec or some other problem, what SocomM4 mentioned. Is the barrel loose? Also upper could be out of spec where the barrel mates causing the barrel to sit forward to far. In other words, if it's not some issue with the BCG, then it could be a whole range of problems, better send it back, as that would probably be easier and faster.

Solidc
06-13-2012, 9:41 PM
Yep, looks like the BCG is in to far. Have you tried swapping bolts? This may narrow down whether the BCG is out of spec or some other problem, what SocomM4 mentioned. Is the barrel loose? Also upper could be out of spec where the barrel mates causing the barrel to sit forward to far. In other words, if it's not some issue with the BCG, then it could be a whole range of problems, better send it back, as that would probably be easier and faster.

The barrel is solid, she shoots tight and right, the only symptom is the beat-up buffer. I'm gonna send it back for sure, I just need to get Barrett to pay for shipping. I'll have to call them tomorrow morning...

Solidc
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I lagged on sending it out, then suffered all the typical issues trying to ship it via fedex (next time I need to ship a rifle, I'll pay a gun shop), but it was repaired by Barrett promptly and professionally. The bolt carrier was .021" short, so they gave me a new one (the newest version), and replaced the lower for being "out of spec" assumingly because the heavy buffer slammed into the buffer retainer about 1,000 times although it appeared fine visually. Either way, I'm pleased to have my rifle back.