PDA

View Full Version : 3 round burst

MUKAK
06-13-2012, 8:52 AM
what is done to the rifle to make it shoot 3 rounds vs full auto?

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2012, 8:53 AM
The easiest way would be for you to google the different FCGs and look at them.

m03
06-13-2012, 9:00 AM
what is done to the rifle to make it shoot 3 rounds vs full auto?

Depends on the rifle. Not that it matters in this state.

It tends to be slightly complex. For an AR15/M16, you can look at how it works in this link:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/function/burst/

MUKAK
06-13-2012, 9:53 AM

It tends to be slightly complex. For an AR15/M16, you can look at how it works in this link:

nice! exactly what i was looking for!

lazyH
06-13-2012, 10:18 AM
If you dont adjust the set screws ( or in my case double check them to make sure they dont walk out on you) in the mega arms tactical trigger you can get a 2-3 round burst.

Solidux
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
A person would swap out the hammer.

The seer is the most important part.

scglock
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
interesting read.. i've always wondered but never looked it up

CHS
06-13-2012, 10:27 AM

For burst, I would say that the burst cam is probably the most important part.

Otherwise, you've just got a full-auto :)

QuarterBoreGunner
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
For burst, I would say that the burst cam is probably the most important part.

Otherwise, you've just got a full-auto :)

And what a shame that would be; personally I think burst fire is just a lazy way of addressing full-auto trigger control, or lack there of.

But that's probably just me.

ott1
06-13-2012, 12:10 PM

The cam is on the hammer. The seer is important too as is the disconnector and the selector.

Knife Edge
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
3-round burst is overrated. Full auto on a belt fed is a whole different game! Even if I could stamp an AR and have select fire, I wouldn't give up my Geiselle to do it.

killshot44
06-13-2012, 1:32 PM
burst fire is just a lazy way of addressing full-auto trigger control, or lack there of.

Guess those in charge thought it was was cheaper and easier to engineer a couple of bucks worth of metal than try to educate a couple hundred thousand recruits....:p

ott1
06-13-2012, 5:30 PM
3-round burst is overrated. Full auto on a belt fed is a whole different game! Even if I could stamp an AR and have select fire, I wouldn't give up my Geiselle to do it.

Why would you need to? Geissele sells the SSF trigger.

CHS
06-13-2012, 6:14 PM
The cam is on the hammer. The seer is important too as is the disconnector and the selector.

The cam is actually separate, but mates to the hammer.

Plisk
06-13-2012, 6:27 PM
The cam is actually separate, but mates to the hammer.

Burst hammers and auto hammers are different in the M16. They go as a set.

brando
06-13-2012, 7:06 PM
I still loathe the day the 3-rd burst was integrated into the M16A2 and later M4. It's a poor design because if you don't fire the full 3 rounds, then next time you pull the trigger it may shoot one or two depending on what was fired previously. But worst of all, the 3 round burst device introduced an inconsistency in semi-auto firing, giving you a varying pull weight (2 heavy, 1 soft). That was the number one reason we got the M4A1 - not because it was full auto only, but so we could get a consistent semi-auto trigger back (which was 99% of the way we fired in SF).

On a side note, shooting service matches at AMU circa 1990-91, you'd find M16A2 uppers on A1 lowers with beautifully polished triggers. Again, consistent smooth trigger :)

wireless
06-13-2012, 7:25 PM

Aw that was so cool to read for the first time. So interesting! :p

SgtMerc
06-13-2012, 7:36 PM
Just think it should be mentioned, the above information is all for academic purposes only.

QuarterBoreGunner
06-13-2012, 7:43 PM
a little extra machining and and extra set of holes

then it goes Boom Boom Boom

And Boom Boom Boom you go to Club Fed.

So yeah... no.

brando
06-13-2012, 7:56 PM
only if its smell like california!

yes local law apply........

The "N" in NFA stands for "National", dude.

Czechsix
06-13-2012, 8:54 PM
And Boom Boom Boom you go to Club Fed.

So yeah... no.

only if its smell like california!

yes local law apply........

Mmmm..."Fed" as in Federal, ya know? So yeah...no

CHS
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
The "N" in NFA stands for "National", dude.

I always love it when ignorant pro-gun people find out I'm a gun owner in California and they love to tell me things like how you can just buy a machinegun over the counter in places like Alaska and Arizona.

I just nod my head and smile at them, thinking to myself "yup, you got me. machineguns are totally legal everywhere outside California."

duc748bip
06-14-2012, 12:40 PM
All the gallery post and youtube link from out of Cali people sure look like its legal all over the place..
but without the right stamp its possible ten years..

So I know our troop lost the FA when M16A2 came out with tri-burst.
M4 is still tri-burst, and on the M4A1 the FA is back while the M16A4 is still stuck on tri-burst.
Am i getting this right? :o

I always love it when ignorant pro-gun people find out I'm a gun owner in California and they love to tell me things like how you can just buy a machinegun over the counter in places like Alaska and Arizona.

I just nod my head and smile at them, thinking to myself "yup, you got me. machineguns are totally legal everywhere outside California."

Quiet
06-14-2012, 12:52 PM
All the gallery post and youtube link from out of Cali people sure look like its legal all over the place..
but without the right stamp its possible ten years..

So I know our troop lost the FA when M16A2 came out with tri-burst.
M4 is still tri-burst, and on the M4A1 the FA is back while the M16A4 is still stuck on tri-burst.
Am i getting this right? :o

And the US Army intends to replace all M-16A2, M-16A4 and M-4 Carbines with M-4A1 Carbines by 2014.