PDA

View Full Version : AK-74 Mags What happened?

13204u
06-13-2012, 5:40 AM
So I have a couple of AK-74 kits that I was looking at in my box of projects last night. I figured I would see about picking up some mags for them, to my shock and awe the prices have jumped really bad on these in the last year. I specifically remember paying no more than $10 this time last year and now it seems they are difficult to find and when you do find them they are running $25-35 a pop. The later seems to be the standard pricing now. I know how supply and demand works, but did they all just dry up at once causing this massive price hike? I know it is an election year, but this kinda makes me cringe. Guess I can buy tapcos if I have to, but really not looking forward to that. Should have bought more when they were available.

Richard Erichsen
06-13-2012, 5:58 AM
So I have a couple of AK-74 kits that I was looking at in my box of projects last night. I figured I would see about picking up some mags for them, to my shock and awe the prices have jumped really bad on these in the last year. I specifically remember paying no more than $10 this time last year and now it seems they are difficult to find and when you do find them they are running $25-35 a pop. The later seems to be the standard pricing now. I know how supply and demand works, but did they all just dry up at once causing this massive price hike? I know it is an election year, but this kinda makes me cringe. Guess I can buy tapcos if I have to, but really not looking forward to that. Should have bought more when they were available.

This happens all the time, with kit prices, ammo prices, mag prices and just plain availability. Your best opportunity is a good deal on some gun auction site (I'll pass, I hate em) or the rare $18-20 "closeouts" as suppliers get rid of any inventory they don't plan to carry again.

The flow of surplus mags has slowed to a trickle and it's pretty much down to domestic made if you want a reliable source. I don't like how inconsistent the Tapco mags seem to be. I bought a few lots and between batches even the height of the tab the mag latch holds against differs. There are better domestic mags, but they will cost you $35-$40 or more per mag just to replicate what Bulgaria was producing for less than $15.

R

6mmintl
06-13-2012, 6:12 AM
Looks like you answered your own question.

Revolver Ocelot
06-13-2012, 6:36 AM
Cheapest i found lately is $25 a pop foe Circle 21s.

zfields
06-13-2012, 7:30 AM
Picked up some decently priced 47's from CDNN, Bulgarian made, metal lined poly.

I *THINK* they had 74's also

toyturbo
06-13-2012, 7:44 AM
Euro spec ak74 mags have dried up significantly, you snooze you loose!

13204u
06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Euro spec ak74 mags have dried up significantly, you snooze you loose!

While I understand what you mean I hate the insinuation that the moment something cheap comes on the market that it immediately needs to be hoarded and panic bought for future use whether or not you need it. If I had known that I would have bought tons of hk33 mags when they were available years before I bought a vector v93.

MigNoche
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1591

Tapco 30 round part kits for $7.95

Definitely not my favorite mags but they are cheap.

bighead
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
ttt

Richard Erichsen
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Picked up some decently priced 47's from CDNN, Bulgarian made, metal lined poly.

I *THINK* they had 74's also

Negative Z, the 74s were out of stock then and now. Even the AKM mags you bought are out of stock at this point. Enjoy them.

R

zfields
06-13-2012, 1:00 PM
Negative Z, the 74s were out of stock then and now. Even the AKM mags you bought are out of stock at this point. Enjoy them.

R

That was fast. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but seem built very nicely.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Richard Erichsen
06-13-2012, 1:14 PM
US Palm are among the best, if not "the" best though like everything else, you get what you pay for. It's also a real shame to use anything but the long followers to limit to 10 rounds, they are just too nice to drill a hole in and epoxy the peg. Unfortunately current models don't have a removable floor plate. Hopefully they will fix that.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=97288

R

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-13-2012, 1:18 PM
I too worry about further price increase so I went out and bought 30 (ak47, not 74)

-hanko
06-13-2012, 1:19 PM
While I understand what you mean I hate the insinuation that the moment something cheap comes on the market that it immediately needs to be hoarded and panic bought for future use whether or not you need it. If I had known that I would have bought tons of hk33 mags when they were available years before I bought a vector v93.
It's not hoarding nor "panic buying"...it's you getting the best deal you can the minute you see what you need.

Ask my why I picked up 30 Simmons Precision 20's for the AR a week prior to Y2K for $6 each, or 30 FAL mags a year or so later when I saw them on the web for $3 each.

The snoozing/losing principle is active at all times;) and it's heightened as the election approaches.

-hanko

NYsteveZ
06-13-2012, 1:21 PM
I seen some 74 mag rebuild kits at Direct Action Solutions in Solana Beach. I didnt have a close look, but the 47s they have were definately milsurp. He even had a bakelite 74 a while back, but bakelite cost $$. Give Colby or Shawn an email or call- http://www.directactionsolutions.net/

Richard Erichsen
06-13-2012, 1:26 PM
It's not hoarding nor "panic buying"...it's you getting the best deal you can the minute you see what you need.

Ask my why I picked up 30 Simmons Precision 20's for the AR a week prior to Y2K for $6 each, or 30 FAL mags a year or so later when I saw them on the web for $3 each.

The snoozing/losing principle is active at all times;) and it's heightened as the election approaches.

-hanko

Good thinking on the FAL mags. DSA still has trouble with the mags they make. Original Belgian FN repair kits fix the out of spec parts. I bought M1A mags during that period thinking I would buy a National Match model - I still haven't and probably never will. I should have bought more FAL mags.... <sigh>

R

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-13-2012, 1:28 PM
ILL TAKE the M1A mags :p

-hanko
06-13-2012, 1:39 PM
Good thinking on the FAL mags. DSA still has trouble with the mags they make. Original Belgian FN repair kits fix the out of spec parts. I bought M1A mags during that period thinking I would buy a National Match model - I still haven't and probably never will. I should have bought more FAL mags.... <sigh>

R
Iirc, the shop's name was Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth. They were a mix of Belgian steel and (I think but am not sure) Austrian aluminum mags. Most were like new, a few had a scratch or 2. At that time there was a bunch of FAL stuff in the carried-a-bunch / shot-little category.

Just observing that guns and parts and ammo generally tend to increase over time.

-hanko

Richard Erichsen
06-13-2012, 4:00 PM

Alas, can't be done legally. I will have to be buried with them unless the law changes. Imagine that? Laid to rest on a bed of non-transferrable firearms and accessories. "He was a bit eccentric..."

R

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-13-2012, 6:22 PM
Why not sell as rebuilds

90runner
06-13-2012, 7:17 PM
Why so much hate for the Tapco mags? i have 3. I have used two extensively and they work quite well. Without bullet guide on my Saiga. The work better than the stock Saiga mag.

darqhelmet
06-13-2012, 7:59 PM
I picked up 20 G3 mags at 3 bucks a pop back in the day. Buy them cheap because they go bye bye for ever.

NSR500
06-13-2012, 8:23 PM
I bought them all. I'll sell them in the marketplace as we near November for a 1000% profit. :shifty:

NYsteveZ
06-13-2012, 9:09 PM

I purchased some M1A mag rebuild kits for my Socom a few months ago at DAS (see my link above if you need some). They were Korean military surplus, overall great condition.

13204u
06-13-2012, 9:28 PM
I bought them all. I'll sell them in the marketplace as we near November for a 1000% profit. :shifty:

That's a d*ck move. :p

thedrickel
06-14-2012, 6:23 AM
He couldn't have bought them all, I bought about 80 at $10 per . . . a mix of all the colors too ;)