PDA

View Full Version : Does this meet residency requirements?

JeremyKX
06-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Hey all,

Will be buying a few guns coming in the next few months and want to make sure I am good to go residency-wise.

I am a college student so I live at an apartment while at school and parents house during the vacations and summers.

DL - Address is parents house
Apartment - Rental agreement with my name on it
Apartment utilities - My name is on it.

I have a car but it is not in my name.

I wasn't sure if it would be an issue if the address on the driver license was different than the one on the lease and utilities.

Thanks,
Jeremy

littlejake
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not at all certain as I've always had a DL and car reg that matches. The only reason I'm giving an opinion is, I see no one has come through with any answer -- and there are people who know with certainty.

My opinion is: It's likely a problem that the addresses don't match. I am assuming that your DL address is in CA -- you didn't mention if your parents are in-state.

Is there a reason you do not / can not register your car to yourself and to the address on your DL?
(That's sort of none of my business -- just saying that would solve the issue.)

JeremyKX
06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
My parents do live in state. I guess I could register the car to myself but I was just checking if I am good to go off the bat with what I currently have.

If not, will probably go the car registration route

TheBest
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I have the same situation.

Any utility that you can't take with you (phone, cable, internet) with your name and address should work fine.

My DL has an old address, but my car reg is at my current address, and that works. The form you fill out should have the current address (the one with the utilities).

QQQ
06-13-2012, 2:34 PM
Similar situation here- I use my DL + FCC Amateur Radio license.

littlejake
06-13-2012, 6:25 PM
Similar situation here- I use my DL + FCC Amateur Radio license.

I do believe it says: "... or other government issued licenses"

My understanding that such a license as the second proof of residency need have an address and an expiration date -- which a ham ticket has.

jaymz
06-14-2012, 7:12 PM
If your D/L has a different address than your second form of ID, you will be denied the opportunity to even begin a DROS. Most, if not all FFL's do not/cannot accept a change of address card either. Get your D/L to match your bills, or your bills to match your license.

AirShark
06-14-2012, 8:09 PM
If your D/L has a different address than your second form of ID, you will be denied the opportunity to even begin a DROS. Most, if not all FFL's do not/cannot accept a change of address card either. Get your D/L to match your bills, or your bills to match your license.

I have made two DROS requiring purchases from two different FFLs in the Bay Area in the last two months. I used my DL (with my OLD street address) and my internet bill for one, my water bill for the other. Both utility bills have my new address.

No problem, no questions or eyebrows raised.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say about different addresses, but my first hand experience in the last several months allowed me to easily complete the DROS process with mixed address ID.

halifax
06-14-2012, 9:28 PM
The DL address must be your current physical address. It's a Federal thing.

As outlined in ATF Rul. 2001-5, licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the Brady Act. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of the transferee may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee’s residence address.

ke6guj
06-14-2012, 9:32 PM
The DL address must be your current physical address. It's a Federal thing.

that is not what that ruling says. it says that the DL does not have to have your current physical address on it if you have another .doc-issued document that does have your current physical address.

halifax
06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
that is not what that ruling says. it says that the DL does not have to have your current physical address on it if you have another .doc-issued document that does have your current physical address.

Yeah, my wording was wrong.

CalNRA
06-14-2012, 11:26 PM
call the shop and verify before you go. Lots of shops will be cool with the docs you got but not everyone.

SVenigma
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
I am in basically the same situation as the OP except I also have a car registration in my name with my parents' address on it.
If during break when I am home (so I am not lying on the paperwork) I use my DL and car registration and my parents' address as my current address to buy a handgun will there be any issues with the background check since I have an apartment and utilities with my name on them also?

Edit: Obviously, I wouldn't say anything to the FFL about the two different places I am residing, just that my current address matches the DL

Stewdabaker23
09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
The address has to be the same on both your DL and whatever piece of Proof of residency you bring in.

Carnivore
09-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Just did a transfer and the guys license didn't match his address but his car registration worked to satisfy the address requirement.

From California site...

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

AirShark
09-07-2012, 9:39 AM
The address has to be the same on both your DL and whatever piece of Proof of residency you bring in.

I see this info passed around from time to time and I simply don't agree that it's true.

My argument?

I've DROSd two firearms at two different dealers in the past six months. My DL has my old address on it. My utility bills have my new address on them. No problem either time.

Your DL address does NOT have to match your current address. That's what a utility bill/vehicle registration is for. To establish your current residency.

kf6tac
09-07-2012, 10:13 AM
My CADL has a NY address on it (way to go, CA DMV). Lately I've been using my car registration and/or C&R license as secondary, but in the past I've also used utility bills with no problem.

chris1911
09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I just bought a new pistol 2 weeks ago and my DL address doesn't match my car registration address and like someone else said, no question and no raised eyebrows. But it wont hurt to call first.

pHredd9mm
09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Last two times I dros'd handguns, I had to go out to my car to get the car registration, or provide a utilities statement with my address on it. Seemed like they didn't really care about my CA DL (as far as address went).

But, get a CA ID from DMV if you have an out of state DL.

Roland Deschain
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I see this info passed around from time to time and I simply don't agree that it's true.

My argument?

I've DROSd two firearms at two different dealers in the past six months. My DL has my old address on it. My utility bills have my new address on them. No problem either time.

Your DL address does NOT have to match your current address. That's what a utility bill/vehicle registration is for. To establish your current residency.

I've DROSd 4 firearms in the same period of time and my DL address is old but the vehicle registration address is correct. Haven't had any issues.

Taxidave
09-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Last two times I dros'd handguns, I had to go out to my car to get the car registration, or provide a utilities statement with my address on it. Seemed like they didn't really care about my CA DL (as far as address went).

But, get a CA ID from DMV if you have an out of state DL.
The required info for handguns is different than for long guns. Handguns require 1 documents other than ID with the residence address, or 2 documents if ID is different address, ie: PO Box, Mail drop or business address.

SVenigma
09-08-2012, 1:59 PM
I have a California DL and a car registration with my name and the same address on them (my parents' address).
My question was: will there be any issues with the background check or DROS since I have an apartment and utilities at school with my name on them also?

QQQ
09-08-2012, 9:36 PM
I have a California DL and a car registration with my name and the same address on them (my parents' address).
My question was: will there be any issues with the background check or DROS since I have an apartment and utilities at school with my name on them also?

No. Just show them your car reg. and your DL.

CalNRA
09-09-2012, 2:50 AM

source?

Lots of people have PO box addresses on their DL's. Doesn't mean they can't buy guns using a car reg with a physical address.

SVenigma
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
No. Just show them your car reg. and your DL.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be doing it soon.