PDA

View Full Version : is it illegal to swap slides on hand guns?

chaos06
06-12-2012, 8:49 PM
i have two sig sauer p226 pistols one is two tone with stainless steel slide. my question is can i swap slides on the gun? the slide i have is really nice condition and i would like to keep it on the nicer conditioned frame and make it a safe queen. can i do that and convert it from all nitron finish to two tone stainless steel slide?

cntrolsguy
06-12-2012, 8:51 PM
Yes, you are good to go.

ar15robert
06-12-2012, 8:51 PM
nothing wrong with doing so.

ojisan
06-12-2012, 8:59 PM
First you should check the CA Handgun Roster to see if that combination of finishes is safe and approved.

(Just kidding).

In the US, most handguns are regstered by the serial number on the frame, not the number on the slide (if any).
As long as the serial number is on the frame, you can change any and every other part you want.

The Ruger Mk1,2 3 semi-auto 22 pistols have the serial number on the barrel, so barrel swaps for these are just like buying a new gun.
I'm sure that there are some other oddball guns marked on the slide or barrel and not the frame / receiver, but they are few and far between.

chaos06
06-12-2012, 8:59 PM
sweet, ok thanks for the response. i just thought DOJ has it in the papers as nitron slide and they would care. so i want to swap it and switch it and sell the nitron slide gun!

ojisan
06-12-2012, 9:20 PM
Well, there is a slight twist to all this.

Many used gun sales are done face to face (FTF), meeting in person with some one that is more or less in your area.
No problem at all with your slide swap.
This is the only way to sell off-roster handguns in CA.

If you want to sell a gun to someone who lives at the other end of the state, you can only ship guns that are currently on the Roster to the purchaser's local dealer.
The receiving dealer could get all in a tizzy if the finish does not match exactly to the Roster by model.
I'm not sure how carefull the dealers are in this as long as the serial number and everything else is correct.
I've never done this, so hopefully someone else will chime in who can advise.

CHS
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
The Ruger Mk1,2 3 semi-auto 22 pistols have the serial number on the barrel, so barrel swaps for these are just like buying a new gun.
I'm sure that there are some other oddball guns marked on the slide or barrel and not the frame / receiver, but they are few and far between.

On Ruger pistols the receiver is the serialized part, not the barrel. The barrel screws into the receiver though.

Munk
06-14-2012, 2:58 AM
On Ruger pistols the receiver is the serialized part, not the barrel. The barrel screws into the receiver though.

On the Mark III this changed, and the barrel is no longer swappable like the previous Mark I and II. The barrel/receiver is an integral part and is the serialized part of the gun now.

Mulay El Raisuli
06-14-2012, 7:16 AM
Well, there is a slight twist to all this.

Many used gun sales are done face to face (FTF), meeting in person with some one that is more or less in your area.
No problem at all with your slide swap.
This is the only way to sell off-roster handguns in CA.

If you want to sell a gun to someone who lives at the other end of the state, you can only ship guns that are currently on the Roster to the purchaser's local dealer.
The receiving dealer could get all in a tizzy if the finish does not match exactly to the Roster by model.
I'm not sure how carefull the dealers are in this as long as the serial number and everything else is correct.
I've never done this, so hopefully someone else will chime in who can advise.

Hmmm. I have a Taurus Mod.85 in .38SPL. I'm trying (without success so far) to find a 9mm cylinder for it. If I beat the odds & do find one, will I be breaking the law?

The Raisuli

CHS
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
On the Mark III this changed, and the barrel is no longer swappable like the previous Mark I and II. The barrel/receiver is an integral part and is the serialized part of the gun now.

I have a MKII and a MKIII at home. The barrel on the MKIII still screws into the receiver. In fact, the MKII and MKIII receivers are almost identical in every way (except little things like the loaded chamber indicator).

If you can show me a factory Ruger MKIII that has a completely integral barrel/receiver, I'm all ears.

CHS
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
If you can show me a factory Ruger MKIII that has a completely integral barrel/receiver, I'm all ears.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIHunter/images/10118.jpg

See. MKIII. Serial on the receiver, rear of where the barrel screws into it.

Now, there is ONE model of the 22/45 that has a unitized receiver/barrel:
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/images/3900.jpg

However, that's one model. The other 22/45's and MKIII's all use a separate receiver that the barrel threads into. The only reason this one has them unitized is because it uses an all aluminum receiver with a thin steel barrel liner.

ojisan
06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Hmmm. I have a Taurus Mod.85 in .38SPL. I'm trying (without success so far) to find a 9mm cylinder for it. If I beat the odds & do find one, will I be breaking the law?
The Raisuli

No laws broken...but if you ship to a CA FFL as a On-Roster gun the .38 cylinder should be in it. So, try to make the swap go both ways, to 9mm and back to .38 easily by just swapping the cylinder / extractor asembly as a set.

My apologies for the incorrect info on the Ruger markings, I was just trying to give a quick example, didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.
I'm sure I was thinking of the ultralight model as I read a thread on that a couple weeks ago regarding the hassle of barrel swaps on it.

eric90503
06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
sheat... Turners did that to me when I bought my 229. I bought a red label, with new slide and barrel. After I drosed it and was picking it up I noticed the slide switched and so was the barrel to a used one. I was pretty pissed but the staff swore up and down it was like that:rolleyes:

****ty thing is I use to work at Turners in the 90's, boned by my own peeps.
So I guess the answer is no, it's not illegal since Turners South Bay did it. Ha!

In all seriousness, NO the frame is the body. The slide is part of the gun only.

Mulay El Raisuli
06-15-2012, 5:30 AM
No laws broken...but if you ship to a CA FFL as a On-Roster gun the .38 cylinder should be in it. So, try to make the swap go both ways, to 9mm and back to .38 easily by just swapping the cylinder / extractor asembly as a set.

No need to ship as I already have one (in .38). The trick is to find a 9mm cylinder, crane & extractor assembly. Nice to know that I won't be breaking (what are really stupid) laws if I do beat the odds.

Thanks.

The Raisuli

Munk
06-16-2012, 12:49 AM
I have a MKII and a MKIII at home. The barrel on the MKIII still screws into the receiver. In fact, the MKII and MKIII receivers are almost identical in every way (except little things like the loaded chamber indicator).

That's what I get for trusting the FAQ on the ruger website concerning factory barrel swapping.

Thanks for providing first-hand experience to correct me.

The 22/45 shown there looks interesting, but not like something I'd want. I'd rather have the first one.

CHS
06-17-2012, 6:31 PM
That's what I get for trusting the FAQ on the ruger website concerning factory barrel swapping.

While Ruger MK pistol barrels are threaded into the receivers, they still aren't "swappable" without serious gunsmithing. I mean, you can't just unscrew one and pop a new one back in. A gunsmith or accomplished machinist could do it, however.

The 22/45 shown there looks interesting, but not like something I'd want. I'd rather have the first one.

Don't worry, that 22/45 is an illegal assault weapon in California :) (semi-auto pistol with a threaded barrel)