PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question About Cleaning Bolt.

ThePerfectExposure
06-12-2012, 7:38 PM
I disassembled the BCG to clean and used the picks and bore brushes to clean up the stubborn carbon deposits on the teeth and on the tail of the bolt. I noticed that even with the soft brass brush, it took off the black phosphate coating. Am I doing it wrong?

Omega13device
06-12-2012, 7:59 PM
Yes - you're overdoing it.

Wipe it down with a rag and/or toothbrush and some carbon solvent and you're done. Nothing on an AR has to be spotless - it's going to be dirty after the first shot you take next time anyway. You don't have to get all the carbone off the bolt tail, it's not hurting anything. Just keep it lubed, spend more time shooting and less time cleaning.

Army
06-13-2012, 5:08 AM
Don't mistake the phosphate coming off, with brass color being transferred from the brush. Yes, the finish will eventually come off the stem, lugs and bolt face. But new bolts will get a copper coloring from the brush scraping onto the phosphate.

Mail Clerk
06-13-2012, 5:17 AM
I disassembled the BCG to clean and used the picks and bore brushes to clean up the stubborn carbon deposits on the teeth and on the tail of the bolt. I noticed that even with the soft brass brush, it took off the black phosphate coating. Am I doing it wrong?

ThePerfectExposure,

What it sounds like your scrubbing off the parkerizing from your bolt carrier. Don't use a brass/copper brush! Use a plastic tooth brush instead and use a light oil that has good clean properties like Remingtons "Rem Oil" or even Breakfree. That should be enough to keep the machine running well. Also consider a chrome bolt carrier group for super easy cleaning.

Mail Clerk

ThePerfectExposure
06-14-2012, 12:24 AM
I think I took off the coating off the bolt

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sWmgme-IQMs/T9mPAJwwrLI/AAAAAAAAA6k/ijotTehB8pc/s1122/IMG_2678.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-l-vI0Kxaeuo/T9meDaLWnZI/AAAAAAAAA64/t8p7xb3xvPY/s1122/_MG_0277.JPG

Omega13device
06-14-2012, 7:39 AM
Yeah, you did. I wouldn't worry about it, just from now on make sure you keep it lubed, and don't clean so much.

There's a generally accepted myth that guns have to be spotlessly clean in order to function properly. This is far from the truth.

gunnerstuff
06-14-2012, 7:54 AM
You haven't shot it enough. :)

Vacaville
06-14-2012, 7:55 AM
An old toothbrush is your friend for cleaning bolts.

ThePerfectExposure
06-14-2012, 8:16 AM
I think why I resorted to using the brass brush is that the cleaner I used is too weak. I used the waterbased ones. I see that many guys on here use brake cleaner. Now that seems a lot stronger and cheaper

Merc1138
06-14-2012, 8:34 AM
No... you were scrubbing way too hard and using too stiff of a brush. You said you were cleaning off carbon deposits, they aren't diamonds or something. Did you let the cleaner sit and have a chance to actually work? Or were you spraying on whatever cleaner you used and immediately scrubbing?

HK Dave
06-14-2012, 8:49 AM
Still looks pretty new to me. ;)

But yah like everyone said, don't use metals to clean it. :)

And don't worry, it's perfectly fine... just lube it and go.

ChaneRZ
06-14-2012, 9:02 AM
That's fine!

pennys dad
06-14-2012, 9:02 AM
I take mine, tear it down, drop the parts into a plastic container full of Hope's #9. Leave it there while I clean the rest of the rifle then pull the pieces out wipe them, lube them and reassemble the rifle.

darqhelmet
06-14-2012, 9:07 AM
Go piston. You won't have to worry about the bolt tail anymore.

I do the same thing as pennysdad. Works good.

Omega13device
06-14-2012, 7:00 PM
Go piston. You won't have to worry about the bolt tail anymore.

You don't have to worry about the bolt tail on a DI rifle either. Carbon on the bolt tail isn't going to affect the function of the rifle. If it did, it wouldn't build up there in the first place.

anymoose
06-14-2012, 9:20 PM
In the Marines we cleaned everything with a wire brush, and we cleaned it pretty damn hard. the coating on just about everything was gone, and my gun functioned fine and i shot expert on the range every time.

would i want my personal gun to look like the ones in the Marines? No. Does it actually matter? No.

keep it lubed, itll be fine.

tomd1584
06-15-2012, 6:47 AM
Just put two drops of lube Through the gas holes on your bolt carrier and rack the charging handlea few times. That will lube/clean your bolt plenty.

bruss01
06-15-2012, 6:54 AM
My method of cleaning the bolt is as follows:

Disassemble the bolt

Run it through the ultrasonic bath a few cycles with some simple green.

Any problem spots left, get hit with a retired toothbrush before a final run through the ultrasonic.

Quick rinse in denatured alcohol.

Blow it out with compressed air. Set on a paper towel on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes.

Light spray & wipe with CLP all over, blow out any holes/crevices with compressed air.

Re-assemble. finger wipe with Slip 2000 on the wear points. Put it back in the gun.

Seems to be working for me so far.

I'd be disinclined to go at it with picks, shovels and other tools unless some kind of functional symptom was present. That just seems a tad aggressive.

luchador768
06-15-2012, 7:01 AM
Man, some folks really make a simple job really complicated! Take it all apart, wipe it down, reassemble, lube, and shoot. It's not fine china it's a gun.

EvoXRiley
06-15-2012, 7:13 AM
jerry! make sure you weld all those holes on your bolt they forgot to weld up for you!

:D

CHS
06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

PUT. THE PICKS. DOWN, SON.

Dental picks have NO PLACE near firearms. Get rid of them. Period. Seriously, just get rid of them. Throw them away and don't let them anywhere near any of your guns ever again.

A brass brush is ok. A nylon brush is better. Let your solvent work.

Better yet, stop cleaning your bolt and just keep it lubricated properly at all times and your gun will function just fine.