PDA

View Full Version : Mini 15 or 30 vs M&P-15

delta9
06-12-2012, 5:51 PM
So I'm looking for a decent centerfife rifle. I'm looking at either a Mini-15 or Mini-30 vs. a California compliant M&P-15.

Any thoughts?

Big D
06-12-2012, 6:02 PM
Definitely the Mini-15

BucDan
06-12-2012, 6:06 PM
Depends on what you want, if you prefer the classic non pistol grip rifles, go for the Mini's as the Mini-14 would more than likely be best especially if you want to drop mags freely. Unless, you want to go cool boy with the AR-15 like the rest of us!

If you are more of a classic rifle lover, go with the Mini as compared to the more present day AR.

Drivedabizness
06-12-2012, 6:32 PM
Let us know when they come out with a Mini 15 so we can evaluate it.... :)

The first "black rifle" I bought was a Mini. I liked the look and the whole "featureless" thing. By the time I bought it (from a good CalGunner) and modded it, I had a gun that shot 3-4" at 100 yards for what I could easily put together a better performing AR15.

So my first love was the Mini but now I have 2 AR platform rifles and prefer them.

Just my 2 cents

mattt
06-12-2012, 6:37 PM
The mini 15 is the greatest battle rifle never made!!!!;)

Peter.Steele
06-12-2012, 6:45 PM
Also, just flat out take the Mini-30 out of the equation entirely. It's a terrible, terrible rifle. If you want 7.62x39, just go for something designed by Ivan. Westerners are just awful at making weapons in that caliber for some reason.

Milsurps
06-12-2012, 6:50 PM
Mini-15 FTW !!!:rolleyes:

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-12-2012, 7:10 PM
mini 15 :eek: :useless:

r8dr rider
06-12-2012, 7:37 PM
Here's the link to the Mini 15
http://popcultureaddict.com/movies-2/midgets-htm/

stilly
06-12-2012, 8:32 PM
Okay I will bite, WTF is a Mini-15?

My friend owns several Mini-14s and they are crap as far as I am concerned. Really? 40 for a factory mag? Oh BS. Are they REALLY too good to use AR mags? I make fun of him all the time for going with a mini-14, but I have NO clue what a mini-15 is.

Please someone show me my ignorance here or perhaps the OP and others are making a mistake and meaning to call it a mini-14?

That would mean that nobody but a select few that knew got the joke of evaluating it when it came out... :\

Sorry, ruger garbage makes me mad for some reason... Just like calling a mag a clip and nuking it in the microwave...

Oneaudiopro
06-12-2012, 9:11 PM
You're deeply confused and uninformed.

jcjt
06-12-2012, 9:17 PM
geeze, layoff.. it's a typo or just a simple mistake in nomenclature.

i started out with a mini, but I tried the AR platform out in a carbine class. right now i'm focusing on the AR, but would not sell the mini.

mini: front heavy, less ergonomic. fun action, and less recoil than the mp15.

mp15: money pit (so many accessories). more ergonomic. more kick than a mini.

honestly, the bullet button isn't that big of a hassle. i say go with the AR and get your tacticool frustrations out.

Mossy Man
06-12-2012, 9:43 PM
Coming from someone who owns both platforms, I have this to say:

The mini-14 has an excellent, very simple operation that is easy to master for anyone. You can hand anyone a mini-14 and in 10 seconds, show them how to use the rifle and they'll be semi-competent.

It also is ergonomic in the sense that it's very very simple. Optics mounting is tough, and they're not incredibly accurate anyway, but you do not have the same freedom that the modular AR has.

As far as recoil, I'd have to say that the mini-14 has more recoil. Due to the garand-style action, and the orientation of the operating system, you will find a lot more muzzle rise with the mini-14 platform than the AR (the AR's bore axis go straight to your shoulder, not your face like in the mini).

The mini-14 is also notorious for destroying scopes. If you get a mini-14, you have to buy good optics or else they'll break after a few mags.

The biggest drawback of the mini-14 is magazines. Anything other than factory is a gamble (although the blued john masen 10-rounders have been reliable for me, as well as some tapco gen 2s).

The biggest advantage of the mini-14 is that its simple, is featureless, and can be used with your high-capacity magazines.

The AR is more versatile, more accurate, about as reliable, and is of course combat-proven.

If you plan on wanting your AR to be traditionally equipped, you'll need a BB, which is its greatest drawback and what keeps it #2 in my safe for go-to-rifle.

Mini-14

Pros:
Easy to use
featureless
reliable
unique appearance

Cons:
Not incredibly accurate (less so with newer Minis)
Lacks versatility
Optics mounting is limited
Lack of reliable magazine options

AR15

Pros:
Accurate
Modular
Battle Proven
Very Customizable

Cons:
BB in CA
Everyone and their mother has one, and if you think yours is "unique" then you're mistaken
Can get you into debt modifying them

all of that aside, the mini 14 is my go to rifle for defensive purposes.

it's got a detachable mag which is the main reason, and it's less "evil" so is more suitable for a defensible purpose. Not saying you shouldn't use your AR for this, but personal preference

InkHammer
06-12-2012, 9:53 PM
As stated before , nix the mini30 from your list!
So, the poster above gave a very informative breakdown of the two remaining.
I say either is good, but the S&W mp15 is what I would do (and have). Ruger mags are ridiculous $$$, and the rifle is reliable but not super accurate. Even in the stock configuration the AR is ergonomicaly superior IMO , and you have much better optic mounting capabilities. Now, once the black rifle disease or BRD hits, u will be spending $$$$ on **** you would have never thought of at first ! For real. But just buying 10 ruger mags as opposed to ten for the AR will give you 300.00 less to play with , and you could help your BRD quite well.

Mossy Man
06-12-2012, 9:55 PM
or be like me and just get both lol

wyrm2021
06-12-2012, 9:58 PM
For a second there I thought everyone was talking about a newly introduced rifle. I would love to get a mini-14, Although Ive always thought a 30 was 7.62x51, .308? Either way I would take one of those if given the chance.
M&P15 is a little over priced for me.

Mossy Man
06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
30 is 7.62x39

dont get it

InkHammer
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
For a second there I thought everyone was talking about a newly introduced rifle. I would love to get a mini-14, Although Ive always thought a 30 was 7.62x51, .308? Either way I would take one of those if given the chance.

In what way is the M&P overpriced? It is one of the best values of any firearm out there.

wyrm2021
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
In what way is the M&P overpriced? It is one of the best values of any firearm out there.

They retail for around $1100.00 unless everyone is talking about the 15-22.
Oh wow never mind $602.00 slick guns sight

Atekhed
06-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Actually in stock configuration the Mini-14 and M&P-15 Sport are about the same price. Sometimes you can actually find the Sport cheaper than a Mini.

The non-Sport variations of the M&P-15 are much more expensive than a Mini though (OR, Tactical for example).

Given that, I would go for the M&P Sport over the Mini-14 for my first carbine. Even with the BB it's just a better carbine choice overall IMO.

Saying that the Mini-14 isn't bad especially the newer 581 series models. The Mini-30 on the other hand is all kinds of bad juju. If you want a 7.62x39mm rifle get a Saiga sporter.

I have both a Mini-14 and an AR and I like them both.

Drivedabizness
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
To the OP - I neglected to mention that one of my AR's is the CA version M&P 15T.

An excellent rifle - very accurate, works great!

Brown Rock
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I like the Mini 15. Get the Mini 15.:)

socalbowhunter
06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
My only complaint with the mini-14 is the same as any other Ruger. No after market company can produce a quality magazine and Ruger knows it so they over charge for theirs.

m98
06-13-2012, 1:21 AM
Saying that the Mini-14 isn't bad especially the newer 581 series models. The Mini-30 on the other hand is all kinds of bad juju. If you want a 7.62x39mm rifle get a Saiga sporter.

So friggin true. The last time i was shootin with my bro n law, he was braggin about how his mini30 was so superior and that 762-39 was the best 'boolit' ever. So after about 10 rds his mini 30 started to choke-fail to fire. I've never seen a stock mini ftf ever (i own a mini14 and its been flawless). So, when it had ftf, he racked the handle to load another and wham. Another ftf. He stop shooting and never said a word to me about it. I ask to look at the ftf but he just said ' its okay, im not shooting anymore'. He also didnt believe me that my 10/22 with the tacticool stock and bull barrel was legal either.

m98
06-13-2012, 1:29 AM
My only complaint with the mini-14 is the same as any other Ruger. No after market company can produce a quality magazine and Ruger knows it so they over charge for theirs.

Kinda the reason why i no longer reccommend minis to friends. Becuz ruger has lost its roots. They come up with all these other useless crap but fails to address one of the biggest drawbacks of the mini=$$$$$$ azz factory mags. One of the main reasons why AR's has dominated. They must still think their mini's are Super special Awesome o' rifles and still haven't gotten in on the modern day program.

tonelar
06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought the mini 15 was a tacticool dressed 14...
http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/firearms-images-products-446l-2.jpg
How's that for homely?

DinoPJR
06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Mini 14s are usually finicky about ammo. I prefer ARs myself.

socal44
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM

BS - I've shot just about every kind of ammo available and haven't had any problems:rolleyes:

tacticalcity
06-13-2012, 12:47 PM
For pride of ownership, fun factor, and the chance to take courses out of state without the compliance stuff on it there is nothing as cool as an AR-15.

For practicality, such as the rifle you reach for if somebody is knocking down your front door the Mini-14 fills that role here in California better due to all the compliance crap we have to put on our AR-15s to make them CA legal.

I'm not a huge fan of the Mini-14...but I am willing to admit that when it comes to defensive purposes a California legal AR falls short...which was the entire point of the legislation governing them. Bullet button equiped ARs are too slow to reload, and featureless ARs are too goofy to control when compared one on one with the Mini-14. Thinking otherwise is just plain silly and taking the fanboy thing too far.

However, laws change. They could end up tossing SB23 someday, or they could find a way to ban ARs all together. Either way I want to own one before that happens. If they change in our favor I have an AR that is fully functional and won't have to pay through the nose as demand causes prices to go sky high. If they change against our favor, there will undoubtably be a registration process (argued elsewhere to death so lets not rehash that debate here) and I will be able to register it and keep it. Either way I am better off with an AR than without it. Plus, in the mean time I have an AR that is fun to plink with at the range, and when I take a course outside CA I can remove the bullet button and it functions like any other AR.

The mini-14 just doesn't have the same appeal for me. I have no nostaligic connection with it. It is nothing like the rifle I carried in the military. The cool factor isn't there for me either. It is practical, but that is about it.

Plus it is way too A-Team for me.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/Funny/Min-14ATEAM.jpg

Brown Rock
06-13-2012, 1:01 PM

I think that's the other way around. My Mini ate any and everything you fed it.

agroman2001
06-13-2012, 1:40 PM
I own both a Mini and an AR and love both of them. Most likely if you go with a Mini their will be an AR in your future. The M&P sport is a great AR for the price. One thing I prefer having my Mini for is hunting varmint. It's just slightly lighter than my AR and trust me I notice it after a few hours. And I don't have to worry about scratching up my AR walking through tall brush. The accuracy is an issue but i've found it will stay farely accurate when hunting because i'm not shooting hundreds of rounds like I would at the range. Hunting, the barrel stays much cooler and I don't tend to have issues with the accuracy.

Steve2648
06-13-2012, 1:44 PM
I prefer ARs myself.

NHP1127
06-13-2012, 1:47 PM
New Minis are now hovering around the price of some AR's. I'd take the AR all day at the same price.

MrPlink
06-13-2012, 3:33 PM
Given the price of a mini these days I would not hesitate to go S&W over one.

delta9
06-13-2012, 5:34 PM
Thanks everybody for all the feedback. Yes, I made a typo - meant mini-14.
I failed to mention that I already have an M&P 15-22 that I really like but also want to have a more substantial rifle for home protection.

delta9
06-13-2012, 5:34 PM
I failed to mention that I already have an M&P 15-22 that I really like but also want to have a more substantial rifle for home protection.

Oneaudiopro
06-13-2012, 6:40 PM

Absolutely not true.

Mossy Man
06-13-2012, 6:43 PM
Absolutely not true.

maybe he meant mags

because then he'd be right

Big D
06-13-2012, 9:01 PM

I knew what you meant, I was just poking a little fun :D Glad you took it well.

In all seriousness though, I own both a mini and a few AR rifles and I love em all. BUT I bought my mini a long time ago and i just don't think they are worth what they are going for these days. They would be a great buy at around $500 but they go for about $750 and at that price you might as well go with the S&W. If you do get one the new Tapco gen 2 mags work pretty well and are not as expensive as the factory mags. You can pick up some rebuild kits and block them off to ten rounds and be good to go.

CGT80
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I love my mini 14 target model. I like to be different and AR's don't do anything at all for me. The target model is plenty accurate for me (30-150 yards) and is often capable of 1" groups at 100 yards, from the reviews I read on it. I have only run my own reloads through mine. The only problem I had was one case head separation from unknown range brass that I loaded up. I run a decent weaver grand slam scope on mine. No scope problems yet. Mags aren't cheap, but I just slowly bought them. I think I have three 10 round mags and two 5 round mags. It works fine for me. I have never worn out a gun magazine (one of my pistols has roughly 30k rounds through it).

The only gripe I have about the mini target is the weight. It is great for bench shooting, but gets tiring when shooting without a rest. They aren't cheap either, but I knew all this going into it.

Guapoh
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM
or be like me and just get both lol

Exactly.

smle-man
06-14-2012, 9:14 PM
My Mini 14 has all of the practical accuracy that I am capable of employing. I can hit steel plates @ 400 yds with open sights from the sitting position with it. What more is needed? I have both an AR and the Mini 14 and enjoy shooting the Mini 14 more.

Oneaudiopro
06-14-2012, 9:49 PM
My Mini 14 has all of the practical accuracy that I am capable of employing. I can hit steel plates @ 400 yds with open sights from the sitting position with it. What more is needed? I have both an AR and the Mini 14 and enjoy shooting the Mini 14 more.

:iagree:

Waffleobill
06-15-2012, 8:27 PM
Mini-14 man myself, that machine can take a beating and continue to properly function like no AR. Also will eat and spit out the dirtiest, cheapest ammo I could find. Agree with those gripes about the mags though, nothing but the Ruger factory mags are worth buying.

Really interested in gettin' my hands on a Mini-15 now! ;)

smle-man
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
BTW CDNN has factory Ruger 10 rd magazines for about $25. I bought four of their $9.95 10 rd no name specials and got three that work just fine and one that is a bit dicey. I also just installed a Tech Sight rear adjustable sight. Looks great and has easy windage and elevation without resorting to a bullet tip. I'm looking foward to sighting it in. My wife bought me a Choate slotted handguard to replace the goofy factory handguard which works great for heat dissapation.

ssaction
06-16-2012, 9:39 PM
The biggest advantage of the mini-14 is that its simple, is featureless, and can be used with your high-capacity magazines.

:confused:

Mossy Man
06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
:confused:

you could use high cap mags on your ARs too, but they'd have to be featureless

thats why i said in the "typical AR config" when speaking of ARs

totalinfidel
06-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I have both the mini 14 and a M&P 15OR. If I had to choose just one it would be the M&P15. My M&P is very accurate and reliable. It eats anything I feed it. I also like the Aimpoint CompC3 that is attached to it, as well as flip up YHM BUIS front & rear. The Aimpoint has a 2 MOA dot which might be to small for some folks, but it suits me to a tee.

ssaction
06-16-2012, 10:38 PM
you could use high cap mags on your ARs too, but they'd have to be featureless

thats why i said in the "typical AR config" when speaking of ARs

I thought the law limited you to 10 round magazines unless you owned them in CA prior to the law going into effect.

I didn't realize I could use 30 rd mags on my mini-14 in CA.

Mossy Man
06-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I thought the law limited you to 10 round magazines unless you owned them in CA prior to the law going into effect.

I didn't realize I could use 30 rd mags on my mini-14 in CA.

well that's true.

of course i'm going under the assumption that any high-capacity magazines are legally owned/obtained.

but with BB'd ARs, it doesn't matter if you have legally owned high capacity magazines because you can't use them with it.

S470FM
06-17-2012, 11:02 PM
just put money down at my LGS on a Mini-15.

Mossy Man
06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
a Ruger Mini-15 would just a be a carbine-length 14.5" DI M4.

Actually, i think they should make the Mini-15.

Lugiahua
06-18-2012, 1:24 PM
How about a SU-16? Cheap, accept AR mags, and more accurate than Mini
:hide: :threadjacked:

Ruger Rick
06-18-2012, 8:23 PM
Don't let people discourage you from checking out the Mini-30. It is a rock solid platform. With just a simple modification (replacing the stock hammer spring with a heavier version) it will shoot all 7.62 X 39 ammo with no problems.WELL PUT!!!