PDA

View Full Version : Transporting CA Legal AR - MUST have magazine attached?

shock
06-12-2012, 5:46 PM
I went to drop my bullet button equipped ar15 at Bain & Davis for some work, and they absolutely would not accept the rifle because i neglected to bring along a magazine.

they told me that i should not be transporting my ar15 without a magazine attached to the rifle. (ended up just leaving the upper.)

if true, i guess i've been committing some crimes of ignorance for the past few years going to and from the range with my rifles :mad:

truth or FUD?

thank you for your help

HowardW56
06-12-2012, 5:49 PM
FUD

shock
06-12-2012, 5:59 PM
found the answer in the FAQ :D

and thank you..

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/FAQ#How_do_I_legally_transport_a_long_gun_.28rifle _or_shotgun.29.3F

If I have a bullet button, am I legally able to remove the magazine from the firearm?
Yes. A firearm equipped with a bullet button is incapable of accepting a detachable magazine due to the statutory definition of "detachable magazine." Therefore, removing the magazine does not create a "firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine."

If it's legal to detach the magazine from a bullet button equipped firearm, why are people advised to transport their bullet button equipped firearms with an unloaded magazined locked into place?
For simplicity of explanation. It is much easier to explain why a firearm does not have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine when there is a magazine locked into place than when the mag well is empty. Both are legal, but one is more advisable than the other.

stix213
06-12-2012, 6:38 PM
FUD, though some people recommend transporting them with a mag installed due to the possibility of running into the ignorant, including law enforcement.

Wherryj
06-13-2012, 8:57 AM
FUD, though some people recommend transporting them with a mag installed due to the possibility of running into the ignorant, including law enforcement.

This. Having removed your magazine via use of a tool still doesn't render the magazine "detachable". I can remove the engine from my car with tools, but once the engine is out, is the car now possessing a "detachable engine"?

littlejake
06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
B&D is a good shop -- they are just misinformed. It's difficult for a dealer to keep up with all the Byzantine CA gun laws -- so, they will err on the side of caution.

robcoe
06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Like others said, not required, but it's a point on your side if the cop who pulls you over is strong in the FUD.

uyoga
06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Definitely not required.

On the other hand, if you have an empty 10 round magazine attached to the AR, it would be less likely that you would be arrested for "having a high capacity" magazine attached - regardless of the final outcome.