PDA

View Full Version : VZ58 SS vs DS

theme57
06-12-2012, 3:15 PM
Ok, so I am getting closer to purchasing my first rifle, VZ58 and am a little stumped on which model I should get. The DS version allows me to use 30 round magazines, stripper clips and it a bit lower in profile then the SS model, but I saw that a member had issues reloading via stripper clips. While the SS model's mags are cheap and it would allow a quicker reload, but at the cost of keeping the rifle featureless. I plan on moving out of CA after college 2-6 years which is why I am stumped on this. For uses of the rifle, hunting if I could, SHTF, and range/classes.

Z28
06-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Go with the DS especially since you are going to move out of komifornia.

theme57
06-12-2012, 3:32 PM
Go with the DS especially since you are going to move out of komifornia.

That I am ha ha, Seattle or Alaska is on my list, but what about the issue with stripper clips? I plan on shooting the rifle a lot and on another thread a user said when loading via stripper clip, it marred his bolt and magazine including that they were too tight at times.

Jpach
06-12-2012, 4:26 PM
Well if you aren't going featureless, you'll have some type of bullet button device allowing you to just change mags instead of using stripper clips. And once you're out of CA you can just change 30rd mags like normal.

theme57
06-12-2012, 4:45 PM
Well if you aren't going featureless, you'll have some type of bullet button device allowing you to just change mags instead of using stripper clips. And once you're out of CA you can just change 30rd mags like normal.

True, but with 10rd mags being 35usd a pop, it seems a little impractical doing so. How have loading via stripper clips been for you?

Jpach
06-12-2012, 4:57 PM
True, but with 10rd mags being 35usd a pop, it seems a little impractical doing so. How have loading via stripper clips been for you?

I do not have one of these rifles, sorry :o .

What I would suggest, then, is to buy magazine rebuild kits and then just block them off yourself. Shouldn't be too hard to do and it wouldn't mar the **** out of your bolt carrier and will be more fun. Just giving you options ;)

theme57
06-12-2012, 5:37 PM
I do not have one of these rifles, sorry :o .

What I would suggest, then, is to buy magazine rebuild kits and then just block them off yourself. Shouldn't be too hard to do and it wouldn't mar the **** out of your bolt carrier and will be more fun. Just giving you options ;)

True, but then I would have to go featureless to allow me to use the mag catch ha ha, which I would rather do with the Single Stack, but you never know haha. Thanks for the opinions though. Loading via stripper clip still sounds like a good choice in the overall long run, but not so sure if it will damage the rifle.

1forall
06-12-2012, 6:30 PM
My suggestion to you is to go with the DS model, especially if you're going to leave Cali. As far as reloading with stripper clips, you can only go so fast. If you are just going to hunt and/or plink with it, it doesn't matter. If you are planning to take a tactical class, reloading with stripper clips will defenitely slow you down. Once you move you'll be able to drop mags. BTW...nice choice in rifles, they are nice.

Jpach
06-12-2012, 6:32 PM
True, but then I would have to go featureless to allow me to use the mag catch ha ha, which I would rather do with the Single Stack, but you never know haha. Thanks for the opinions though. Loading via stripper clip still sounds like a good choice in the overall long run, but not so sure if it will damage the rifle.

Ha no I'm saying block the 30s to turn them into 10 rounders for use with a mag lock. This will allow you to remove the magazines with a tool.

theme57
06-12-2012, 9:19 PM
My suggestion to you is to go with the DS model, especially if you're going to leave Cali. As far as reloading with stripper clips, you can only go so fast. If you are just going to hunt and/or plink with it, it doesn't matter. If you are planning to take a tactical class, reloading with stripper clips will defenitely slow you down. Once you move you'll be able to drop mags. BTW...nice choice in rifles, they are nice.

True, very true, it will mostly be for plinking and maybe hunting later on too. I probably wouldnt even be able to go to a tactical class during school, maybe on summers though. Nonetheless I am not in a position that needs me to have top speed with my mag changes so the single stack would only serve me so much and since they are cheaper I can always get another in in the SS model later. The quicker mag changes are tempting though ha ha, but I guess after a while of using stripper clips, I can probably get myself to smoothly reload a full mag. Any thoughts on the stripper clip reload and how it compares to lets say an SKS?

Thanks man, I have gone from looking at the SKS, to the SGL21 (price and inconvenience in PRK were an issue) and finally am psyched for the VZ58 :) My only concern about it are the stripper clips and reloading with them. With it I am not looking for a super fast magpul speed reload, but speed similar to that of an SKS or better if possible which I hope to accomplish with practice although every platform can go so fast. Just want my reloads to be quick enough for a SHTF scenario where I am using the rifle ha ha.

1forall
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I have no experience with the SKS, only the VZ58 and Mosin Nagant. I personally don't like using the stripper clips on neither. You have to line them up almost perfect to have a clean and quick strip. The rounds sometimes get hung up while trying to press them into the magazine. I'm no where near an expert, but I let a fellow calgunner fire some rounds with my VZ58 and he ripped them into the rifle like no ones business. I guess with practice and experience it'll make it easier. I don't mind loading rounds one at a time, I'm usually at a range and not in a SHTF scenario. I have other weapon systems for that.
Also...search around for a BB for it, then you wouldn't have to bother with stripper clips.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy.

Z28
06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Using the clips is not that bad, it just takes a little practice to get used to them. And like 1forall said, you can always load one at a time.

theme57
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Hmm, sounds like the clips can be a bother at first, but with practice work very well. Guess I will be getting a little workout at the range ha ha. Thanks for the input everyone. In that case I guess I will go for the DS model since being able to use 30rd mags later in the game will be a nice pay off once I am out of CA within the next 2-6 years.

@Z28 What is your average speed in seconds with stripper clips Z28? I am curious to know and am kind of excited by the sound of getting used to practicing with stripper clips :) I hear you have to be rough with them like weapons of the old days ha ha.

@1forall Thanks for the input, do you regret getting the DS model due to a slower reload? I doubt a BB would be a smart idea for the VZ58 since 10 round mags are costly and 10/30 round mags would seem a bit cumbersome for a BB, imo at the moment. Also I am moving down to Socal within a few months it seems likely in Venese (cant spell the name) Beach. Any good areas in Socal you recommend? Sorry for being of topic.

1forall
06-12-2012, 11:57 PM
"Any good areas", for what? Buying a VZ58? Range time? To dine?

theme57
06-13-2012, 2:08 AM
To live, sorry for not clarifying it earlier.

1forall
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
There are several depending on your preferences. Just do some research, there is something for everyone in SoCal.

Z28
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Hmm, sounds like the clips can be a bother at first, but with practice work very well. Guess I will be getting a little workout at the range ha ha. Thanks for the input everyone. In that case I guess I will go for the DS model since being able to use 30rd mags later in the game will be a nice pay off once I am out of CA within the next 2-6 years.

@Z28 What is your average speed in seconds with stripper clips Z28? I am curious to know and am kind of excited by the sound of getting used to practicing with stripper clips :) I hear you have to be rough with them like weapons of the old days ha ha.

@1forall Thanks for the input, do you regret getting the DS model due to a slower reload? I doubt a BB would be a smart idea for the VZ58 since 10 round mags are costly and 10/30 round mags would seem a bit cumbersome for a BB, imo at the moment. Also I am moving down to Socal within a few months it seems likely in Venese (cant spell the name) Beach. Any good areas in Socal you recommend? Sorry for being of topic.

I never tried to time myself but I done it pretty quick, here is a video of someone using the clips on their VZ 58. http://youtu.be/v3bIwTGyR1Y