PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an AZ CCW for Nevada, but...

DrDavid
06-12-2012, 3:03 PM
I really want a CCW for Nevada and I know Arizona is easy to get (and accepted by Nevada). But, my understanding of the fed rules is that while an AZ permit exempts me from GFSZ in Arizona, that exemption does not apply while in Nevada. Basically, you need that states CCW to exempt you from GFSZ...

So, having said that.. Is it still worth it to get the AZ permit and then get a Nevada permit? Or just get the Nevada? Thoughts?

paul0660
06-12-2012, 3:05 PM
Az is something you can do from home if you have a training cert. Nv is not. That is the rub.

stix213
06-12-2012, 4:22 PM
I really want a CCW for Nevada and I know Arizona is easy to get (and accepted by Nevada). But, my understanding of the fed rules is that while an AZ permit exempts me from GFSZ in Arizona, that exemption does not apply while in Nevada. Basically, you need that states CCW to exempt you from GFSZ...

So, having said that.. Is it still worth it to get the AZ permit and then get a Nevada permit? Or just get the Nevada? Thoughts?

I believe this is correct, but I haven't heard of a problem actually happening.

CHS
06-12-2012, 4:28 PM
The Fed GFSZ is a very easy law to bypass. You have to KNOWINGLY be in a GFSZ in order for there to be a violation.

DrDavid
06-12-2012, 4:30 PM
The Fed GFSZ is a very easy law to bypass. You have to KNOWINGLY be in a GFSZ in order for there to be a violation.
Well, that's easy.. I barely know where I am in my own neighborhood without my GPS telling me! :) I definitely wouldn't have a clue where the schools are in an area that I visit only a few times a year (at most).

Glock22Fan
06-12-2012, 5:22 PM
Thank goodness it is a CONCEALED firearm permit.

I think you'd need to run foul of a Federal Agent in a bad but still observant mood to have any problems. Must say, I never have.

Quiet
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
If you get an AZ permit, you won't get any current legal info about carrying in NV. So follow up and learn the NV laws.

Another thing about relying on another states' permit to carry in NV, the NVSCA can remove that state from the list of states honored by NV.
So, be wary that it might not always be valid in NV.

NV "GFSZ" laws equates to can't possess on school/university property (there is no "zone"), even if you have a valid permit. Only exception is for LEOs.
NV LEOs do not enforce the Fed GFSZ law.

If you have any NV specific CCW questions, send me a PM. I'll be happy to answer them.

luckystrike
06-13-2012, 1:37 AM
Im in the process of the az ltc. just need to get a training cert. anyone know of anyone in orange county that offers a class? :D

I personally think it will be worth it. and it dosent end at just nv either.

disturbed1
06-14-2012, 9:17 PM
Did you have to get approved for the LTC b4 you go to training? Some courses require that you have to be in the process or be sent by a sheriff to qualify for training.

Glock22Fan
06-15-2012, 9:08 AM
Did you have to get approved for the LTC b4 you go to training? Some courses require that you have to be in the process or be sent by a sheriff to qualify for training.

The short answer is "No."

Az will accept a wide range of certificates, including NRA Basic Pistol. Clearly you can do an NRA Basic Pistol course (or many others) without being approved for an LTC/CCW.

MistWolf
06-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Maybe this website will help
http://www.handgunlaw.us/