PDA

View Full Version : My Econ Presentation is Tomorrow

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 2:22 PM
Yup as my title says it, ill be doing an economics presentation tomorrow for my Macro Econ class. It's on....THE FIREARMS MARKET!!!

So I am pretty nervous because I hate doing presentations especially long ones (this one is over 10 minutes). But I cant wait to see the faces of everyone in my class when I show all the data and then slide right into John Lott's studies of More guns = Less crime!

My professor required everyone to email their presentations prior to presenting and I just got an email back from her wanting me to now engage the class in a dialog on guns in schools.

"suggestion: perhaps you could try to engage class into discussion about
this topic (i.e. ask questions etc.., perhaps some may feel that this
industry is doing harm (school shootings in college etc))"

Things are about to get interesting. I just wanted to do a fun presentation on something that is not normally done. Im sick and tired of hearing my classmates go on, on how illegals are good for the economy and legalizing pot will end all of economic problems.:facepalm:

Oh well, anybody have any data on school shootings connected to GFZs? Im probably going to need to get down into the nitty gritty...

nocomply25
06-12-2012, 2:27 PM
Your going to get a lot of people hating you...hopefully the hot chicks will like that you are a dangerous and mysterious kid haha. just remember breath!!!! go slow and be clear, do not sweat it most kids are not even paying attention anyway. I know i sure as hell was not in my class.

IPSICK
06-12-2012, 2:32 PM
So what is your Macroeconomic tie-in to this?

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 2:33 PM
Your going to get a lot of people hating you...hopefully the hot chicks will like that you are a dangerous and mysterious kid haha. just remember breath!!!! go slow and be clear, do not sweat it most kids are not even paying attention anyway. I know i sure as hell was not in my class.

No doubt bro...Haters gonna hate.

lol I had a cute Asian girl a while back ago in my class express interest in going shooting :D. She noticed me wearing my I heart Guns and Coffee Tshirt and I chatted for a little bit with her. There are also two pro gun guys in my econ class so hopefully I will have some backup.

winnre
06-12-2012, 2:38 PM
I was an economics major and the best tie-in that I can see is the inelasticity of the pricing of firearms on the market. A new gun may be $500 but you can sell it used all day long for $490 and have buyers. Turner's has a "sale" of less than 5% off and it causes a stampede.

One report I did on a similar vein was housing sales in the late 1980s where the builder would toss in a built-in microwave and the houses sold faster. A $300 item clenches a $200k sale. Now that is inelasticity!

jrock
06-12-2012, 2:41 PM
sounds fun! just remember to back up each claim w\at least 2 facts. according to so and so..., or, by looking at the data provided by xyz.
progressives argue w\emotion, conservatives\libertarians like facts.
ruger's stocks analysis..rifleman mag always has short, self defense incident reports you could reference.
its easy to discuss a passion w\facts!

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 2:42 PM
So what is your Macroeconomic tie-in to this?

The professor said the presentation could be on anything having to do with economics. She is being very loose with topics and isn't restricting subjects to a macroeconomic level.

My presentation is going over the total effect of the firearms market on the american economy.
-Jobs created
-Taxes generated
-Current demand
-Ruger being back ordered
-Supply and demand of firearms
-Firearms per Americans
-Social economic benefits of having firearms
-John Lott (More guns = Less crime)
-and more

winnre
06-12-2012, 2:48 PM
Post it here too!

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 2:53 PM
Post it here too!

What would be the best way to do that? I have it on google docs.

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 3:06 PM
BINGO!!!

Here you go guys. So im currently working on the Rugers stock slide.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1AX5RnC9kKVF4D__gjWUfLN9pRPFuN81_MoMo4QFKrI8/edit

sn8kedoc
06-12-2012, 3:26 PM
buddy if i were still in college that presentation would soooo be plagiarized.

NoJoke
06-12-2012, 3:37 PM
You're walking into a lions den.

With that said, GOOD FOR YOU! I presented to the NIH in 1994 in Boston Ma (research done at UCSF) and it can be tough! Stand tall!

Don't encourage an anti discussion - have a reasonable reply to the anti comments - you know.....

Guns only have one purpose - to kill people (actually they are a tool - for law abiding citizens, they allow one to defend themselves against an attack).

Kids are killed with guns (again, following the law, they must be locked up).

Guns cause crime ( everywhere that has shall issue proves this is wrong - crime goes down when the "bad guy" doesn't know who's armed).

Just consider the typical anti comments and have a well thought out reply and you just might end up owning the room!

Good luck!

winnre
06-12-2012, 3:52 PM
What would be the best way to do that? I have it on google docs.

Wait until after you present it, then simply copy and paste it here.

Oh, and keep ALL your college work. The Internet was tiny when I was in college so I never kept much, wish I had.

m03
06-12-2012, 3:52 PM
Since you bring up the 1968 GCA, it could also be mentioned that it was supported by domestic manufacturers due to the restrictions that it placed on importation of surplus weapons (which they appeared to believe were impacting their sales). This is covered in detail in one of the chapters of the book "War Business".

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 3:55 PM
Wait until after you present it, then simply copy and paste it here.

Oh, and keep ALL your college work. The Internet was tiny when I was in college so I never kept much, wish I had.

It's already up on here bro. I posted the link to it above. Thanks for the advice! :D

winnre
06-12-2012, 3:57 PM
I said to wait because you don't want the teacher doing a word search and saying it was plagiarized. Some teachers have a NO PUBLISH rule on stuff you present. YMMV.

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 4:01 PM
I said to wait because you don't want the teacher doing a word search and saying it was plagiarized. Some teachers have a NO PUBLISH rule on stuff you present. YMMV.

Hmm? You got me a little confused. So since I put this online she could deem it "plagiarized". Even though my partner and I did all the work. The data and quotes are properly cited so I don't quite see how it would be plagiarism for posting it.

winnre
06-12-2012, 4:03 PM
Page 11, may the month should be capitalized.

Since more guns = less crime, and there would be more guns if not for the GCA laws, you can say that therefore there is more crime today than there would be, and you can claim the number of police hires are an indirect result of gun control, hence there is hiring on that side of the fence too.

Then mention Chicago where the laws are really tough (or DC) and see how many more cops per capita they have hired, and how much tax loss results from criminal activity.

For that matter add in the sames tax income on all those guns sold annually.

Then add this:

http://sadhillnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/obama-firearms-salesman-of-the-year-sad-hill-news.jpg

IPSICK
06-12-2012, 4:12 PM
Hmm? You got me a little confused. So since I put this online she could deem it "plagiarized". Even though my partner and I did all the work. The data and quotes are properly cited so I don't quite see how it would be plagiarism for posting it.

Just mention you posted it. Search engines are weird and funny enough depending on the writing standard it is possible to plagiarize yourself.

DrDavid
06-12-2012, 4:14 PM
Ask one of your classmates to record it on their phone, and post it to YouTube for us all to enjoy! :)

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 4:22 PM
http://sadhillnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/obama-firearms-salesman-of-the-year-sad-hill-news.jpg[/QUOTE]

I sneaked it in there ;)

Apec
06-12-2012, 4:28 PM
When I was taking FSA, my group presented on SWHC, RGR, and ATK. We looked at possibility of earnings management, sales forecasts, 5 forces and ratio analysis. We were going to pick Freedom Group instead of Alliant Techsystems, but unfortunately they pulled their IPO, and their most recently released financial statements were not practically comparable.

If one thing is certain, the gun market can be quite volatile at times. 2007 was a year in which S&W experienced major losses (inventory and a poor hunting season to blame), only too see the industry as a whole getting shocks in demand years later.

safewaysecurity
06-12-2012, 4:34 PM
On page 12 you mispeslled "buy" you spelled it "by". GREAT presentation though.

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 4:39 PM
On page 12 you mispeslled "buy" you spelled it "by". GREAT presentation though.

Thanks man!

pointedstick
06-12-2012, 6:17 PM
Oh well, anybody have any data on school shootings connected to GFZs? Im probably going to need to get down into the nitty gritty...

Here you go: http://blog.joehuffman.org/2008/04/17/SchoolShootingIncidentData.aspx

Also useful, if anecdotal: http://gunssavelives.net/

sfhondapilot
06-12-2012, 6:43 PM
How about...

Does politics impact the elasticity of demand?

You certainly have the empirical evidence based on the run on guns and ammo after Obama's election.

choprzrul
06-12-2012, 8:30 PM
No matter what, we will never change minds if all we ever do is engage like minded people.

If you put doubt in only 1 young anti gun mind, you sir have done your good deed for the year. I applaud you for your efforts.

NOW! DON'T forget to remind all of them....

Gun Rights are Civil Rights. Heller & McDonald say so.

18 USC 241 and 18 USC 242 outline what can happen to agents of the government who, under the color of authority, oppress the civil rights of citizens.

CA Civil Code 52.3 is more or less the California version.

Adeodatus
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
No matter what, we will never change minds if all we ever do is engage like minded people.

If you put doubt in only 1 young anti gun mind, you sir have done your good deed for the year. I applaud you for your efforts.

NOW! DON'T forget to remind all of them....

Gun Rights are Civil Rights. Heller & McDonald say so.

18 USC 241 and 18 USC 242 outline what can happen to agents of the government who, under the color of authority, oppress the civil rights of citizens.

CA Civil Code 52.3 is more or less the California version.

Ill be sure to put a big banner in one of the last slides of "Gun Rights = Civil Rights"

and Ill give Calguns a shout out :D

ColdDeadHands1
06-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Really nice content in the presentation. Good luck and be sure to give us a report on how it went! The hippies and progressives are going to wet themselves!

winnre
06-13-2012, 8:48 AM
Send copies to your Senator and Representative too.

Cruznegao
06-13-2012, 9:07 AM
It migh be too late. But good luck today

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 9:52 AM
Really nice content in the presentation. Good luck and be sure to give us a report on how it went! The hippies and progressives are going to wet themselves!

Thanks man! Will do!

It migh be too late. But good luck today

Not too late. Thanks man!

The presentation is going to be at 1:30!

nocomply25
06-13-2012, 9:57 AM
looks good, he probably rocked it...after you finish the presentation you should walk up to the Asian girl and rock that to! some guns and coffee...make these years count man. One day your married and things change...good change but its a hard change if you did not enjoy your college years!

Window_Seat
06-13-2012, 9:59 AM
It might also be too late to mention the difference between "Interest-balancing" vs. "Textual history", District of Columbia v. Heller (slip op., at 62–63), McDonald v. City of Chicago (slip op., at 38-39, 44), Ezell v. City of Chicago, 651 F.3d 684, 701-703 (2011).

Erik.

winnre
06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
The presentation is going to be at 1:30!

Set up your phone to video you using qik.com and give us all the broadcast address and we can watch live!

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Set up your phone to video you using qik.com and give us all the broadcast address and we can watch live!

My phone is a piece of trash half broken LG Voyager. So I doubt it will work. Ill try to get video footage but I cant make promises because I don't have a video camera.

winnre
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
My phone is a piece of trash half broken LG Voyager. So I doubt it will work. Ill try to get video footage but I cant make promises because I don't have a video camera.

See? Another point of economics here for your speech! If you own three guns you have paid DROS fees that could have bought you a video camera!

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
looks good, he probably rocked it...after you finish the presentation you should walk up to the Asian girl and rock that to! some guns and coffee...make these years count man. One day your married and things change...good change but its a hard change if you did not enjoy your college years!

LOL Id take her out to coffee and shooting but that's about it. Once im married ill be getting more rear than a toilet seat.;)

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
See? Another point of economics here for your speech! If you own three guns you have paid DROS fees that could have bought you a video camera!

Seriously! That would be pretty funny to say! Me to my class: "That way you all would be on tv for the world to laugh at your hoplophobic ways!"

Winning!

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Ok guys! Im off to class! Wish me luck and pray for bricks being shat!!!

Ill be back in a few hours to tell yall how it went!

Victor346
06-13-2012, 2:13 PM
So how did it go?

BP22
06-13-2012, 2:24 PM
Great presentation. Hope it went well.

RugerNo1
06-13-2012, 2:28 PM
Good on you for stepping up and not being afraid in this environment!

But 10 minutes is long? I would have loved some of my presentations to only be 10 minutes. My last presentation was 1 hour and 20 minutes in a Senior Seminar class...lucky! :D

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 4:22 PM
Ok. I just got back. I decided to slow down and get into some of the nitty gritty. So overall everyone got a 20 minute lesson on everything. My partner and I absolutely DOMINATED this presentation.

My teacher at the end of it tried to debate me a bit and she got a little embarrassed after I brought up the whole thing with Australia and gun control not working over there.

Some people where staring at me like I was crazy and some had massive grins on their faces. Im really glad I got to ruffle some feathers!

velmingrafter
06-13-2012, 4:35 PM
Nice work!

NoJoke
06-13-2012, 5:18 PM
Some people where staring at me like I was crazy and some had massive grins on their faces. Im really glad I got to ruffle some feathers!

That, son, is known as respect. You got yourself some, enjoy!

Any u-tube uploads of the presentation?

choprzrul
06-13-2012, 6:46 PM
I would be curious to know what kind of grade that instructor gives you for the semester.

oepirate
06-13-2012, 7:31 PM
Nice read, and glad the live performance went well. Would love to hear what sort of grade you got on it.

ckprax
06-13-2012, 8:36 PM
Great presentation, glad it went well. Its easier to debate when you are right and have facts to back everything up. Good job.

Adeodatus
06-13-2012, 9:01 PM
That, son, is known as respect. You got yourself some, enjoy!

Any u-tube uploads of the presentation?

Thanks man! I wish I had video of it but I dont :( it was pretty epic.

One really funny thing is at the end of the presentation during the Q&A that the professor put us through, my partner asked the class "just wondering, has anybody in here shot a gun before?" and about 10 out of 60ish people raised their hands and the faces on the antis just lit up with that "wtf" look. My partner then responded with "feels good doesnt it" and a bunch of people cracked up. lol

mag360
06-13-2012, 9:02 PM
typo on the FOPA of 1986 slide. it banned transfer from may 19 1986 not 1968 of any new machineguns. other than that, as someone with a minor in econ that was really good (6 units shy of a bachelors in econ, lol I wanted out and had enough units to get a business finance degree)

ir0nclash86
06-13-2012, 10:23 PM
did anybody else try debating you during the Q&A?

winnre
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Put a preso on youtube, and then ask your state rep for time in Sacramento on the floor!

Adeodatus
06-14-2012, 1:29 AM
did anybody else try debating you during the Q&A?

No, nobody else tried to debate but we got a couple questions and one statement from a woman that actually backed up one of our claims (more guns = less crime) in front of the professor. The real heat was coming from the professor as she was trying to encourage the class to debate us by starting debating questions then asking the class for their opinions.

Hey, "facts are stubborn things", you cant really argue with them ;)

Adeodatus
06-14-2012, 1:36 AM
Put a preso on youtube, and then ask your state rep for time in Sacramento on the floor!

eh. Im just a college kid with a simple presentation. Although I would love to do something as balls out as that, I think there are people that are way more qualified to appear on the floor than me. I wouldnt want to risk screwing up and possibly giving a bad image to California gun owners. Ill let the professionals do their thing.

BUT! I have been thinking about starting a youtube channel.

daybreak
06-14-2012, 7:20 AM
Awesome. Straight up awesome!

nocomply25
06-14-2012, 8:32 AM
good job my man! wish i was there to see it! i would have pulled out an ak and started firing shots in the air like we do in the middle east! lol

Novator
06-14-2012, 8:41 AM
good job my man! wish i was there to see it! i would have pulled out an ak and started firing shots in the air like we do in the middle east! lol

Ugh I remember hours on end trying to convince Iraqis that the bullets can come back down and kill someone.

NoJoke
06-14-2012, 9:04 AM
eh. Im just a college kid with a simple presentation. Although I would love to do something as balls out as that, I think there are people that are way more qualified to appear on the floor than me. I wouldnt want to risk screwing up and possibly giving a bad image to California gun owners. Ill let the professionals do their thing.

Isn't there some quote from Jesse Jackson - "I have a dream...."

DUDE - you have more brass than most here - you presented to the most knowingly liberal group of people on the planet - a college.

And you not only DID it, you (in essence) WON! :chris:

Follow those dreams - we will all benefit, hopefully most of all - YOU! :cool:

Adeodatus
06-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Isn't there some quote from Jesse Jackson - "I have a dream...."

DUDE - you have more brass than most here - you presented to the most knowingly liberal group of people on the planet - a college.

And you not only DID it, you (in essence) WON! :chris:

Follow those dreams - we will all benefit, hopefully most of all - YOU! :cool:

ROFL!!! I think thats MLK that you quoted bro...:smilielol5:

Thanks for the encouraging words man! I'll start brain storming on what I could do more to help my fellow commiefornia captives.:patriot: De Anza College 2nd Amendment Club, maybe?:gunsmilie:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

winnre
06-14-2012, 10:22 AM

BUT! I have been thinking about starting a youtube channel.

You have a market that is hard to reach -- people your age! Please reconsider. No one in their 20s wants to listen to us older folks. You have a better chance to convert them!

NoJoke
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
ROFL!!! I think thats MLK that you quoted bro...:smilielol5:

Thanks for the encouraging words man! I'll start brain storming on what I could do more to help my fellow commiefornia captives.:patriot: De Anza College 2nd Amendment Club, maybe?:gunsmilie:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

I knew it wasn't Jesse....just couldn't place it. :rolleyes:

Gun club? Sure. Lawyer to help kick some assterisk in CA? - There ya go! :D