PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle

NYsteveZ
06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
I have had some offers on a rifle I had for sale, but unfortunately the buyers were too far away for FTF transfers. If I were to ship a rifle, what are the general guidelines? This would be a Cali. transfer and the rifle is not "evil", just a .308

Another question-Atlantic has a Saiga 12 shotgun (featureless)...Does that require a bullet button? Their site has a requirement that you purchase one for it, but I figured since Im on topic about shipping rifles I would ask here

zfields
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Pack it up and ship it to an FFL via UPS, seems the easiest carrier to deal with. Must drop off at a hub location, not a UPS store.

Most will want a copy of your Drivers licence included.

jim2342
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
I have used FedEx to ship a rifle back to Smith & Wesson for warranty work. You have to bring the packaged rifle to a FedEx dropoff point, they will not pick it up at your home or office. You must declare that the package contains a firearm and the person on the receiving end must be available to sign for delivery. It was really a pretty simple experience for me.

NYsteveZ
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Pack it up and ship it to an FFL via UPS, seems the easiest carrier to deal with. Must drop off at a hub location, not a UPS store.

Most will want a copy of your Drivers licence included.

Thanks! I also know shipping ammo with it would be a no-no, but I dont have ammo in my sale.

xSARSx
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
either ups or fedex will do, just dont use usps as they will not ship firearms.

Speedpower
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I shipped a shotgun last month through UPS Ground, I dropped it off at the UPS main facility, all they ask is "Is that a Rifle?" I said yes, they did not ask for anything else except that they told me that it needs to be locked up until it's time to load it into the truck.

CSACANNONEER
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Put it on a box and take it to the post office. But, first check with the receiving FFL to make sure that he will accept firearms shipped from a non FFL. Yes, it is perfectly legal to mail long guns. If you are a FFL, it is legal to mail handguns too.

Any shotgun with a detachable magazine is an AW in CA. So, a S12 ALWAYS needs a magazine lock.

DennisCA
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
either ups or fedex will do, just dont use usps as they will not ship firearms.

I've shipped two rifles with them recently, no problems!
:D

NYsteveZ
06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
All makes sense-Thanks guys. Once again, CG members deliver the info. I actually have an offer more local, but this is good info for the future, and great info on that S12 from Atlantic