PDA

View Full Version : HI! I have a question about the gun laws for nonimmigant aliens

wilsonkwok93
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
HI! everyone! Im new to this forum!:) I have a question about the gun laws for nonimmigant aliens.

Im on a F1 student visa,i have been studying in CA for ''more than half a year''. My question is ''Am i legally own a rifle in CA?''.Besides, i have a valid hunting license which issued by the state of California. I have asked the police department,but i was told a different answer from different cops.

The ''Big 5''staff told me they can sell me a gun if i have a valid hunting license . Can you guys tell me ''Am i legally own a rifle in CA?'' Thank you very much!:)

wilsonkwok93
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
sorry for bad grammer by the way!

Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Welcome to Calguns.

Yes, you can buy firearms. You need to be at least 18 years old to buy long guns and 21 years old to buy handguns.

To buy a rifle you will need...

- a California drivers license or ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicles

- a hunting license

- documentation showing that you have resided in California continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses. You can't have left the country at any time during the previous 90 days.

To buy a handgun you will need all of the above, plus...

- a Handgun Safety Certificate

- proof of California residency. This is a separate requirement to one posted above for buying a long gun.

Bill Carson
06-12-2012, 1:08 AM
Welcome to Calguns

shooter5
06-12-2012, 1:10 AM
From what I understand the "hunting license" is a Federal requirement

So you want to make sure your particular "hunting license" qualifies under federal guidelines

or its a big NO.. Its the only exception i understand exists without a "Green card".

Also I believe you are required prove RESIDENCY in That State for at least 90 days without leaving..

If your on a student visa.. I'm not sure how the "residency" shakes out..

However EVERY STATE has their own laws on top of that so this,

(http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/faqs) would be a good place to start.

wilsonkwok93
06-12-2012, 1:54 AM
Thankyou guys! Can i use my bank statement to prove RESIDENCY? Besides,I want to make sure if I m over 18,have a California drivers license or ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicles

- a hunting license

- documentation showing that you have resided in California continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses. You can't have left the country at any time during the previous 90 days. then,i can buy a rifle in CA,right? and one more stupid question, am i legally store my gun in the trunk 24/7?if it is unloaded! Thankyou!so much guys! I m so jealos about you guys who is american,i love this country so much!!

wilsonkwok93
06-12-2012, 2:00 AM
one police told me ''California does have a residency requirement and my student
visa does not qualify. I need to be a resident alien. '' does it mean i cant own a
firearm unless I become a resident alien?

alfred1222
06-12-2012, 2:01 AM
Thankyou guys! Can i use my bank statement to prove RESIDENCY? Besides,I want to make sure if I m over 18,have a California drivers license or ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicles

- a hunting license

- documentation showing that you have resided in California continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses. You can't have left the country at any time during the previous 90 days. then,i can buy a rifle in CA,right? and one more stupid question, am i legally store my gun in the trunk 24/7?if it is unloaded! Thankyou!so much guys! I m so jealos about you guys who is american,i love this country so much!!

it depends on if the FFL will accept a bank statement as proof of residency. I would think not, so just use car registration. And welcome to calguns

mrdd
06-12-2012, 5:38 AM
From what I understand the "hunting license" is a Federal requirement

So you want to make sure your particular "hunting license" qualifies under federal guidelines

or its a big NO.. Its the only exception i understand exists without a "Green card".

Also I believe you are required prove RESIDENCY in That State for at least 90 days without leaving..

If your on a student visa.. I'm not sure how the "residency" shakes out..

However EVERY STATE has their own laws on top of that so this,

(http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/faqs) would be a good place to start.

A person with a green card is considered an immigrant alien. A person with a student visa is a nonimmigrant alien. Both are considered residents, but the nonimmigrant alien needs a hunting license under federal law.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2012, 7:15 AM
Thankyou guys! Can i use my bank statement to prove RESIDENCY?

You can use three months of bank statements to meet the federal requirement of 90 days continuous residency in a State. But if you are buying a handgun you need to also prove to California that you are a California resident and bank statements won't work for that.

wilsonkwok93
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
You can use three months of bank statements to meet the federal requirement of 90 days continuous residency in a State. But if you are buying a handgun you need to also prove to California that you are a California resident and bank statements won't work for that.

So if im buying a rifle,i only need the 90 days continuous residency in CA,then i can own one? The law is only work in CA or in the whole U.S?

Dreaded Claymore
06-12-2012, 1:58 PM
one police told me ''California does have a residency requirement and my student
visa does not qualify. I need to be a resident alien. '' does it mean i cant own a
firearm unless I become a resident alien?

The police, unfortunately, usually don't know the law. Don't ask the police, and double-check everything they tell you.

a1c
06-12-2012, 2:07 PM
I was not yet an immigrant alien when I purchased my first handgun, and was told bank statements were a no-go. Fortunately I had some utility statements that did the trick.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2012, 5:38 PM
Bank statements won't satisfy California's proof of residency requirement for handguns. But ATF specifically lists bank statements as one of the ways for non-immigrant aliens to prove 90 days continuous residency.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2012, 8:05 PM
So if im buying a rifle,i only need the 90 days continuous residency in CA,then i can own one? The law is only work in CA or in the whole U.S?

The 90 days continuous residency and hunting license requirements for non-immigrant aliens are federal requirements, so they are the same in every State. Some States might have additional requirements that are more strict.

But as a California resident you are only going to be able to acquire firearms in California.

wilsonkwok93
06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
So,i can definitely buy a rifle if i reach the requirement then!! That's a relief!! Thankyou so much guys!!