PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight on a featureless AR-15

HonkingAntelope
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I've had an AR-15 for quite a while, and I'm pretty happy with the current configuration, except for the weight. I want to get better at off-hand shooting, and the weight isn't helping. I'm not a total weakling, but the gun weighs in just shy of 10lbs, which is quite a bit for a gun with magpul handguards and just an ACOG with a riser for the optics.

I've taken a picture with the handguards removed to show the barrel profile against a $10 bill, since I was told that my barrel is a bit heavy for the gun. Also, the weight for the upper half is 6.8# and the lower comes in at 3.2# +-.2# due to using the bathroom scale. I know that the U-15 stock adds at least an extra pound, but I'd like to know if I have any other alternatives to shave off some weight.

laabstract
06-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Ditch the Riser.

Exile Machine
06-12-2012, 5:15 AM
Replace the U-15 with a polymer Hammerhead (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/exile-machine-hammerhead-ar-15-grip-black-1.html) grip + ARUL-E Ultralight Entry stock.

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/images/catalog/exm1/F123-TYPE-2.JPG

And ditch the riser. :43:

m35a2
06-12-2012, 5:55 AM
I'll take the U-15 if you decide to ditch it. :D

Reductio
06-12-2012, 7:17 AM
Learn to shoot irons. ;)

mif_slim
06-12-2012, 9:24 AM
Weight will help with off hand shooting. I'm more stable with an AR then my SU-16.

But if you must, ditch the riser ;), get a pencil barrel, hammerhead grip, maybe a FA lower? Lol..

SuperSet
06-12-2012, 9:30 AM
That looks like a heavy profile barrel. When you're shooting offhand, you don't really notice weight towards the back like your stock, riser and optic since your shoulder and strong hand are supporting the gun. You really notice it out front since the only support you have is your weak hand. You could get the barrel contoured/profiled and fluted down to lightweight or pencil but for the cost, it's better to just buy a lightweight barrel. I'm running an 18" 32 oz Noveske and it's a good balance between weight savings and having enough girth so the groups don't wander when the barrel gets hot.
BTW, why do you have your ACOG on a riser?

Dirtbiker
06-12-2012, 9:49 AM
U15 stocks weigh a ton I'd bet you'd lose 2+ pounds on a change out. I'd run an ACE fixed stock in the standard position with a hammerhead grip. If you want to go lighter get a lightweight barrel with a gas block and run a carbon fiber FF tube.

FeuerFrei
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
10 lbs isn't much for an AR rifle.
Get yourself a VTAC 2 pt sling and learn to use it off hand. It helps to lock in the butt of the rifle to your shoulder and when you snug up your sling you get less fatiged. It's a leverage thing.
Oh yeah... loose the riser. :43:

HonkingAntelope
06-12-2012, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. The reason I originally got the riser was when I ran an eotech, the big arse on the front intruded into the sight picture more than I liked (since I don't care for cowitnessing with the irons). When I got the ACOG, the new position felt a bit awkward without the riser, so I kept it. Oh well, better ditch it and just spend a few sessions shooting until I get used to it.

@SuperSet: Do you have any handy links on different barrel profiles? It does seem like it would be cheaper to re-barrel the gun (and change the gas block at the same time) than sending the current barrel for a fluting job. Also, what $$$ amount am I looking at for a decent pencil barrel plus install?

SuperSet
06-12-2012, 6:02 PM
AR15Barrels.com has a pretty good one but it hasn't been updated in a while. The manufacturers will list which profiles they have along with weights. Noveske's website has specs on each barrel.
Regarding contouring/fluting vs. buying new, I'm basing that off my experience with it. I had an 18" Med contour barrel (39-41 oz) that was pretty heavy under the hand guards. So I sent it off to ADCO who contoured it to lightweight, almost pencil, profile. I'd have to look up the measurements as it's been awhile. When you send in your barrel, you have to tell them the measurements you want. Anyways, it cost around $250 IIRC. Only a couple hundred more and I could have bought a new Noveske lightweight. They didn't sell the lightweight at the time so I went the contour/fluting route
One thing about the pencil barrel is that it does tend to bounce around during recoil since there's not much mass there. It's a balance.

morthrane
06-12-2012, 8:57 PM
What's the mount (on top of the riser)? Thinking it looks like the brick that comes with the ta31. How does it balance front to back?

HonkingAntelope
06-18-2012, 6:44 PM
Well, the plan so far:
-Replace the ACOG + riser with EOtech 511 - done.
-Switch out the current barrel + gas block for a lightweight barrel and a railed gas block.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169883/yankee-hill-machine-gas-block-single-picatinny-rail-ar-15-lr-308-lightweight-barrel-625-inside-diameter-steel-matte
and
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647283/daniel-defense-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-lightweight-contour-mid-length-gas-port-1-in-9-twist-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-chrome-moly-matte-pre-ban

Thoughts?

javalos
06-18-2012, 7:08 PM
You're replacing an AGOG with a EOTech 511? I would kinda consider that a bit backwards wouldn't you say? The culprit to your weight is the barrel, it looks like a SOCOM barrel. The riser you have is too long, too high, but you need some sort of mount to get the AGOG's red dot above the front sight post, I would put a 1/2" riser 8 slot Picatinny rail on it, instead of steel, try aluminum.

HonkingAntelope
06-18-2012, 7:30 PM
You're replacing an AGOG with a EOTech 511? I would kinda consider that a bit backwards wouldn't you say? The culprit to your weight is the barrel, it looks like a SOCOM barrel. The riser you have is too long, too high, but you need some sort of mount to get the AGOG's red dot above the front sight post, I would put a 1/2" riser 8 slot Picatinny rail on it, instead of steel, try aluminum.

There's is no law that says I can't put in back on later :). But yeah, point taken. I know that the barrel is the main contributor to the front-heavy weight of the gun.

SuperSet
06-18-2012, 8:24 PM
Once you put the low profile gas block on there, you won't need an ACOG riser.

HonkingAntelope
06-20-2012, 6:15 PM
That much I already know. :) Thanks! Any opinions on the new barrel/GB combo I've posted above?

luchador768
06-20-2012, 8:55 PM
Your gonna burn your hands.

prc77
06-21-2012, 5:29 AM
14"-15" carbon fiber handgaurd over a skinny barrel and low-pro gas block. Light weight, almost too light.

Xtracrispy
06-21-2012, 7:49 AM
Why don't you replace the FSB with a railed gas block, and then you can ditch the riser? You will still have a spot for a front iron sight in the future if you desire.

Don't know about the stock weight, but you could definitely lose some weight with a different barrel.

Don29palms
06-21-2012, 9:22 AM
Try looking at the Blackhole Weaponry website.

ocabj
06-21-2012, 9:36 AM
I've had an AR-15 for quite a while, and I'm pretty happy with the current configuration, except for the weight. I want to get better at off-hand shooting, and the weight isn't helping. I'm not a total weakling, but the gun weighs in just shy of 10lbs, which is quite a bit for a gun with magpul handguards and just an ACOG with a riser for the optics.

I've taken a picture with the handguards removed to show the barrel profile against a $10 bill, since I was told that my barrel is a bit heavy for the gun. Also, the weight for the upper half is 6.8# and the lower comes in at 3.2# +-.2# due to using the bathroom scale. I know that the U-15 stock adds at least an extra pound, but I'd like to know if I have any other alternatives to shave off some weight.

Where is the balance point of the gun? If it's front heavy then it's not going to be easy to shoot off hand. I put lead weights in the front and rear of my AR, so it's just under 19lbs. It's slightly rear heavy, meaning that when I put my hand just forward of the delta ring, there's more weight balancing/favoring to the rear.

Theoretically, neutral balance at the delta ring will be ideal. But you definitely don't want a front heavy gun.

Maybe you can gauge how my rifle balances out from these videos:

_dgrU5ydWyY

h11HE5Viuuw