PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Rifle

D-rek07
06-11-2012, 9:26 PM
I am 18 and was looking for a pistol until I learned that 18 year olds can't own a handgun. So I have moved on and am now looking at rifles. Would you recommend the SR22? if not what else? Thanks

HonkingAntelope
06-11-2012, 9:33 PM
Don't quote me on this (I'll defer to people who are more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of that legal area), but as long as you're not a prohibited person, you can still shoot a handgun as long as you're being supervised by a blood relative. At least that's the policy I've seen at the couple of ranges I shoot at...

Colt562
06-11-2012, 9:35 PM
If you want a reliable firearm that you can find many accessories for: Ruger 10/22

My personal favorite though is walther G22 (it's got the bull pup design)

Colt562
06-11-2012, 9:58 PM
I believe you are correct as long as its certain relationships though: like it can be father to son but it can't be step father to son, look up inter familial transfer of firearms, it's only like 19 bucks

Chaos47
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Marlin 795

D-rek07
06-11-2012, 10:05 PM
If you want a reliable firearm that you can find many accessories for: Ruger 10/22

My personal favorite though is walther G22 (it's got the bull pup design)
Is it true that the SR22 is basically the same thing as the 10/22 just with a different outside?
I believe you are correct as long as its certain relationships though: like it can be father to son but it can't be step father to son, look up inter familial transfer of firearms, it's only like 19 bucks

Thanks but I knew about that but I didn't want to hassle the paperwork. I want to be able to buy something from a dealer and own it myself.

HonkingAntelope
06-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I think I might be right on this, but please correct me if im wrong.
If youre under 21 and over 18 cant you still legally own a handgun if your legal guardian purchases it and then does a family transfer?

My friend, that's awfully close to advising the OP to have someone do a straw purchase. If he goes that route, I'd suggest having the relative retain the legal ownership of the gun until the OP turns 21.

Colt562
06-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry bout that I was thinking about the ruger sr22 pistol I didn't know anything about a sr22 rifle

CSACANNONEER
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM
While IMHO getting a .22lr rifle is a much better first gun than anything else, it is 100% legal for an 18 year old to own a handgun. Whoever told you it was not legal needs to learn the law before trying tio give legal advise. However, federal law prohibits anyone under 21 from purchasing "handgun ammo". Now, back to rifles, get an OLDER 10-22 or a nice bolt action rifle and head to a couple appleseed shoots. Learn to shoot irons before getting a crutch like a scope. You won't be sorry.

MA2
06-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Ruger 10/22 rifle, if you like it to be, it can make a nice project and keep you busy for a while.

If you like an AR style, have a look at the M&P 15-22, over the SR22 rifle.

HK4113
06-11-2012, 11:10 PM
10-22 or MP 15-22 are both solid rifles.

D-rek07
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Does the MP 15-22 use regular 22LR ammo or does it need longer shells? the magazine looks wider.

HK4113
06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Does the MP 15-22 use regular 22LR ammo or does it need longer shells? the magazine looks wider.

regular

PoorRichRichard
06-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Marlin 795. Great gun. Low cost. Learn. Have fun doing it.

D-rek07
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I have looked at a lot of reviews of the M&P 15-22 and everyone really likes it. I think that is the one I will go with.

Bhobbs
06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
My friend, that's awfully close to advising the OP to have someone do a straw purchase. If he goes that route, I'd suggest having the relative retain the legal ownership of the gun until the OP turns 21.

That completely defeats the purpose of having a relative buying the pistol and gifting it to him.

ptgarcia
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
If you want a tacticool .22 just grab a M&P15-22 and call it a day. If you want an accurate .22 you can plink with and take out squirrels at 100 yards grab a Marlin Model 60 (my favorite) or 795.

jsipe007
06-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Not to be disrespectful, but you may also get some good advice by posting this topic in the rimfire forum...

These are all excellent suggestions and youd be more than happy with any of them. My personal recommendation is a Savage 22lr. I believe they have a model out with a 5rd removeable magazine, 3-9x scope, accutrigger, and bolt action for around 300 bucks...

325inthe510
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Marlin 795 and tech sights.

out of the box it will outshoot a modern 10/22 any day of the week, and you can't beat the price/last shot bolt hold open feature.

verb1
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I was gonna say, .22 is rimfire, not centerfire. But since you're here already, I'll recommend the 15-22. It shoots standard .22LR, is reliable, looks cool, is customizable, and is a lot of fun to shoot.

CSACANNONEER
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Bull. It is 100% legal to buy a firearm with the intention of giving it as a gift. There is even a question about this on 4473s. Doing it your way gives the appearance of trying to be deceptive which would be a hell of a lot closer to a straw purchase.

alfred1222
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
If youre under 21 and over 18 cant you still legally own a handgun if your legal guardian purchases it and then does a family transfer?

Its possible, for instance my dad bought a handgun when i was 14, never shot it, and than transferred it to me when i was 18. That is legal.

If you walk into a gun store with your mom, point to a gun, hand her the cash, and than she purchases it as her own, it could be seen as a straw purchase.

While IMHO getting a .22lr rifle is a much better first gun than anything else, it is 100% legal for an 18 year old to own a handgun. Whoever told you it was not legal needs to learn the law before trying tio give legal advise. However, federal law prohibits anyone under 21 from purchasing "handgun ammo". Now, back to rifles, get an OLDER 10-22 or a nice bolt action rifle and head to a couple appleseed shoots. Learn to shoot irons before getting a crutch like a scope. You won't be sorry.

Youre right, 18 year olds can OWN a handgun, but an FFL CAN NOT transfer a handgun to an 18 year old. it has to be transferred through a parent or grandparent.

Bull. It is 100% legal to buy a firearm with the intention of giving it as a gift. There is even a question about this on 4473s. Doing it your way gives the appearance of trying to be deceptive which would be a hell of a lot closer to a straw purchase.

Ya, and if you check NO on question 11 A, specifically Are you the actual transferee buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm( s ) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. than the dealer wont sell you the firearm.

roushstage2
06-12-2012, 4:01 PM
Marlin 795 or Marlin 60 if you want a repeater.

sotastyy
06-12-2012, 4:11 PM
+1 on the Ruger 10/22. almost endless mods/upgrades.

CSACANNONEER
06-12-2012, 6:18 PM
Ya, and if you check NO on question 11 A, specifically Are you the actual transferee buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm( s ) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. than the dealer wont sell you the firearm.

The "actual buyer" would be the one filling out the 4473. The "actual buyer" can buy a firearm with the sole intention of giving it (and legally transfering it which varies from state to state and firearm to firearm) to any non prohibited person. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-12-2012, 6:33 PM
If youre under 21 and over 18 cant you still legally own a handgun if your legal purchases it and then does a family transfer?

STRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k maybe his guardian will be a gift :D

dinosauraphael
06-12-2012, 8:22 PM
when i turned 18, i bought my first rifle too. It was a colt m4 22lr, but soon after i upgraded to a mosin nagant then an AR. :chinese: 22lr are cheap to shoot, but it just doesn't make as much as a bang as 556 or a mosin.

D-rek07
06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Well I just saw a video on youtube where one of the rounds exploded in the chamber. There were at least five comments about people saying their's did the same thing. This is making me second guess my choice on the 15-22 (I haven't actually gotten one yet). Is this common for the gun or was it the type of ammunition he was using?

Quiet
06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Get a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60.
Both are accurate and reliable. They are more accurate & reliable than any of the tacticool looking .22LR rifles on the market.

Get a Ruger 10/22, if you like to accessorize.
Get a Marlin Model 60, if you don't want to spend more money on accessories or magazines.

If you don't abuse them, either rifle will last long enough that your great-grand kids will still be using it.

Travis590A1
06-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I've had my 15-22 for over a year now, I lost track of the range count after 2,000 id estimate over 4,000 just to be safe and not one jam or malfuntion. Aside from the .22lr cartrige itself I trust my rifle with my life. Its been nothing but reliable with my Aimpoint (knock off) I can get 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards all day. Then again to me I feel like the 10-22 is the gun that put ruger on the map (imho).

SocomM4
06-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Build an Ar15 and get a conversion kit,so it can fire .22 and .223/5.56.

Scuba Steve33
06-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Just curious why you suggested an older 10/22? My father has had the same 10/22 for over two decades and still works flawlessly. First gun I learned to shoot with. About a year ago I went and bought my own brand new 10/22 and have had zero problems with it so far. Are there reports of new models having issues?

CharlesV
06-13-2012, 2:11 AM
One advantage of an AR15 is that you can also get a crossbow kit for it. Its very versatile.

After that id say that if there is a problem about a handgun and 18 year old maybe thats a good thing because id rather start off on a .22 rifle anyway. Its the best of all worlds when youre new and later too. Marlin or Ruger, take your choice when you check them out in a shop. Also check out secondhand, lots of nice .22s out there. Check Calguns too! Then spend for accessories and especially AMMO.

scglock
06-13-2012, 4:31 AM
Cant go wrong with a 10/22

BSlacker
06-13-2012, 4:38 AM
Look closely at the Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22. There is a reason they are on top of the popularity list. Either one will provide years of enjoyment while you wait out this time.
Handgun shooting is fun, but not all there is. With limited funds and time you will find it a stretch to do all you want to become a good marksman with a center fire pistol or rifle. Some good rifle shooters seldom shoot handguns. Rimfire rifle is a world all by itself. Check over on rimfirecentral.com. You will find plenty to study and practice, to keep you busy, if you research rifle marksmanship. Things like wind and body position and the like can take years to perfect.
If you just want to blast with a handgun/rifle that is fine as well. :)
Time will pass faster if you are shooting something often rather than waiting for the handgun. :)

TacticalPlinker
06-13-2012, 4:45 AM
Not to be disrespectful, but you may also get some good advice by posting this topic in the rimfire forum...

+1 ^^^^^ Wrong forum.

D-rek07
06-13-2012, 6:13 AM

These are all excellent suggestions and youd be more than happy with any of them. My personal recommendation is a Savage 22lr. I believe they have a model out with a 5rd removeable magazine, 3-9x scope, accutrigger, and bolt action for around 300 bucks...

+1 ^^^^^ Wrong forum.

Sorry. I am new to guns and don't know the difference.

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2012, 6:41 AM
Just curious why you suggested an older 10/22? My father has had the same 10/22 for over two decades and still works flawlessly. First gun I learned to shoot with. About a year ago I went and bought my own brand new 10/22 and have had zero problems with it so far. Are there reports of new models having issues?

Older 10-22s are just built better. Personally, I'd rather pay more for a slightly dinged up but functionally sound 1980's 10-22 than I would a 2012 POS 10-22.

TacticalPlinker
06-13-2012, 7:05 AM
Older 10-22s are just built better. Personally, I'd rather pay more for a slightly dinged up but functionally sound 1980's 10-22 than I would a 2012 POS 10-22.

They should function the same however... But yes, the "vintage" models were entirely metal and probably better quality wood stocks.

The "modern" models use cheaper wood stocks or polymer stocks, and several parts are now polymer as well, no longer metal. Trigger, magazine release, trigger assembly housing, barrel band, etc...

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2012, 7:19 AM
They should function the same however... But yes, the "vintage" models were entirely metal and probably better quality wood stocks.

The "modern" models use cheaper wood stocks or polymer stocks, and several parts are now polymer as well, no longer metal. Trigger, magazine release, trigger assembly housing, barrel band, etc...

"Should" is a key word here. Also, the finish on both the wood and metal is much better on even 2005 models than it is now.

Scuba Steve33
06-13-2012, 8:45 AM

Gotcha. There was a gun store going out of business and I bought it from them. Couldn't beat 120 bucks. Hopefully it holds up through the years. I've put quite a lot of rounds through it and haven't experienced any issues.

HK Dave
06-13-2012, 9:32 AM
Get the 10/22... handguns get boring quick. :(

Travis590A1
06-13-2012, 8:44 PM
Sorry. I am new to guns and don't know the difference.

If you don't know the difference between rimfire and centerfire then perhaps you should do a little more research before purchasing an actual firearm. Knowledge is power and with firearms knowledge is safety! ;)

D-rek07
06-14-2012, 7:42 AM
If you don't know the difference between rimfire and centerfire then perhaps you should do a little more research before purchasing an actual firearm. Knowledge is power and with firearms knowledge is safety! ;)

I did some research and now know the difference. It is such a literal difference in the two names.

Spirit 1
06-15-2012, 6:27 PM
Welcome, D-rek07! You've made one very wise decision already and that's to purchase a firearm - GOOD thinking! Please disregard the guys that always have nothing but negative comments, you know...

Overall the Ruger 10/22 may be the single most popular rifle ever made. Mine's a primo late 60's model, all metal & wood, shoots better than a new gun [it's broken in] a real tack driver!

Takes quite a lot of shooting to shoot out the bore [wearing out the rifling inside barrel] on one but if you decide to go with a clean older piece sight down the bore with the bolt locked back. First of course, make sure it's unloaded with no magazine installed and no bullet in barrel.

With gun unloaded, there's a little flat metal tab in front of trigger guard that you sorta roll back while holding bolt back to lock bolt open. With it locked back, shine a Mini-Mag or whatever into bolt opening with bolt locked back and look down barrel from muzzle end [opposite the buttstock end] to inspect rifling. In general, the stronger and more defined the rifling is the better it will shoot.

Huge array of custom parts available, all original parts also available. Just adding an inexpensive scope, a sling and a few extra magazines will give you a little gun that's nothing but ear to ear smiles, day after day, year after year. I guarantee it will always be one of your favorites to shoot regardless of what else you buy. The Ruger .22 semi-auto pistols are a great little gun, also super accurate and 100% reliable, just like 10/22's.