PDA

View Full Version : ? Ca DOJ handgun safety certificate dilemma.*Dealer Resolved*

outkastcrl
06-11-2012, 6:34 PM
My wife and I took and completed a 4-hour handgun safety course back in April. We were were issued our handgun safety certificates a week later and was received by mail. Unfortunately, after reviewing our certificates our names got transposed on each others certificates I.e. My name has her CDL and DOB while her name has my CDL and DOB. I've contacted the issuing vendor from the course but he has not heard back from the DOJ. I've also sent an email to the DOJ myself explaining the situation but also have not received any response to my request. Does anybody have any advice on how to rectify the issue and would there be a conflict if we were to retake the DOJ test for new certificates?

Clownpuncher
06-11-2012, 6:41 PM
Probably be easier to contact the DMV and switch DL numbers with the wife than get ahold of the DOJ. =)

crackerman
06-11-2012, 6:50 PM
The vendor owes you new cards and should eat the $30 card fee. As an instructor for HSC I can't find any problem of getting a HSC a day for a year of you wanted to throw the money away on it.

Why didn't the vendor issue it to you that day?

outkastcrl
06-11-2012, 7:06 PM
Not sure why. I expected something official from the state instead of handwritten from the instructor. I do recall that after the classroom exercises and testing we had to commute to an offsite range for hands on training. The only possibility I can think of is the amount of time allocated for each class and range time offered for that day. Thanks for input. :)

The vendor owes you new cards and should eat the $30 card fee. As an instructor for HSC I can't find any problem of getting a HSC a day for a year of you wanted to throw the money away on it.

Why didn't the vendor issue it to you that day?

mdimeo
06-11-2012, 7:37 PM
Yeah, the vendor owes you.

No harm taking the test, though, if you'd rather just pay. That's if you can find a gun shop that will do an HSC without an associated gun sale; lots won't do it.

JDoe
06-11-2012, 7:39 PM
Is this "instructor" located just south of San Francisco?

outkastcrl
06-11-2012, 7:50 PM
Actually in Oakland.

REH
06-11-2012, 7:51 PM
As a instructor for HSC, I feel the vendor owes you new cards. The instructor filled out the cards, so it was his mistake.

halifax
06-11-2012, 7:54 PM
The instructor is in charge of the cards. Nothing gets sent to the DOJ. I don't see any reason why he can't use some white-out to repair his mistakes. No further costs should be associated with this mishap to either you or the instructor.

bomb_on_bus
06-11-2012, 7:55 PM
Jeez I haven't seen a place that only gives out the CA HSC with the purchase of a gun. At any rate the person should have handed you the card on the spot to verify everything is in good order at the very least. The guy goofed up he needs to correct it at no cost to you.

wildhawker
06-11-2012, 9:47 PM
The instructor is in charge of the cards. Nothing gets sent to the DOJ. I don't see any reason why he can't use some white-out to repair his mistakes. No further costs should be associated with this mishap to either you or the instructor.

This. However, if the proctor wrote the names down wrong, it's the store's liability.

-Brandon

stix213
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
You should out the instructor if he doesn't resolve this favorably in my opinion.

Worst case you can do as already said and go into a random gun store and take the written test on the spot. You'll be out the cost of the test (like $30 or so?), but you don't have any classes or anything like that to deal with.

fairfaxjim
06-12-2012, 9:44 AM
The instructor is the one who needs to correct this.
HSC instructors have all of the records, the DOJ only keeps track of the serial numbers on the blank certificates sold (each instructor buys them from the DOJ for $15.00 each in lots of 10) to each instructor. Nothing is transmitted back to the DOJ by the instructor except for an annual activity report. Instructors can add an additional $10 for their time, resulting in a $25 fee to the end user.

The instructor is required to keep information on each certificate issued for 5 years (the valid period of the cert.) so that a replacement certificate can be issued (at a cost of $15.00 to cover the DOJ cost) if it is lost while still valisd. (One question that I have not seen any 'official" answer to is can an instructor issue a replacement cert. with a new 5 year validity??) Anyone who loses their HSC can only get a replacement from the original issuing instructor, they are the only ones authorized to do so, unless you wish to re-take the test and get a new cert issued by a different instructor.

Any certificates that an instructor damages or invalidates by improperly filling them out can be returned to the DOJ by the instructor for replacement blank certificates. (I know this to be true, I have had to do that a couple of times. DOJ does not require this to be in lots of 10, they send loose certs for each one returned to them.) In your case, the instructor can issue you new certificates and return the incorrect ones to receive replacements without having to pay for them.

I too am not too sure why you weren't issued them in person at the completion of the class. I would certainly persue the instructor to correct the errors, as he is the only one who can do so.

Dillon
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
annuall activity reports are no longer necessary either

762cavalier
06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Wait!!!! Am I missing something? why did you have to commute to a range? Why did this take 4 hrs. An HSC is a simple test and the card is issued to you on the spot.

outkastcrl
06-12-2012, 11:23 AM
It was a 4noob hour basic handgun safety course with range time which offsite. I've contacted the issuer via email with insight from all of your helpful comments. Hoping that fairfaxjims commented procedure works.

outkastcrl
07-07-2012, 11:15 PM
All is well, issuer provided replacement cards and they have been received with correct information. Thank you for all your helpful comments.

wash
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I would like to comment on this.

It sounds like the instructor did not have the money to buy HSC cards before teaching the course. That is a red flag for me.

In some situations that would be acceptable, like if the teacher just came out of retirement or the course was very very inexpensive.

If it wasn't a situation like that, I would hesitate before doing any more business with them.

If they can't keep it together enough to buy the cards before the class they are not running their business well. Mixing up the numbers after that is strike two.

Caution.

DVSmith
07-08-2012, 1:01 PM

I would be concerned that some retailers would not take an altered (with white-out) HSC.

I agree with the rest, as an instructor I have never had to send a card to anyone, just issue them on the spot, even at remote range sites. Sounds goofy to me unless he ran out of cards and was waiting for a new supply to show up. In any case, he should send you two new ones. Mistakes happen, but that shouldn't be your problem.

DVSmith
07-08-2012, 1:05 PM
I would like to comment on this.

It sounds like the instructor did not have the money to buy HSC cards before teaching the course. That is a red flag for me.

In some situations that would be acceptable, like if the teacher just came out of retirement or the course was very very inexpensive.

If it wasn't a situation like that, I would hesitate before doing any more business with them.

If they can't keep it together enough to buy the cards before the class they are not running their business well. Mixing up the numbers after that is strike two.

Caution.

It is possible he had them on order or forgot to pack them. The OP mentions getting them in a week after the course. I have never received cards that fast from the DOJ let alone order them receive them and mail them out that fast. Maybe they are getting better, but that hasn't been my experience.

Eljay
07-08-2012, 7:04 PM
Jeez I haven't seen a place that only gives out the CA HSC with the purchase of a gun.

Usually it's only if they're running out. They'd hate to turn away somebody from buying a gun if they're out of cards, so some dealers start hoarding them when they get low. It's not a big deal usually but it's something to be aware of.