View Full Version : And my next firearm will be....

06-11-2012, 5:44 PM
Torn between the Mini 30 or the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. I have heard bad things about the 30 in reguards to the firing pin when using surplus ammo. And that is the bulk of what I shhot. I thought the CZ was a reliable alternative. Then I heard it has problems with firing pins and bolt jamming and even feed issues! I want to get another rifle in 7.62x39! I really was hoping the Mini 30 had some stronger springs AND stronger firing pins out there.

Any one know about this? I am sorry if this has been hashed out before. I am getting impatient, didnt want to buy something and regret it.

06-11-2012, 7:10 PM
get an AR upper for 7.62x39 and problem solved.

06-11-2012, 7:32 PM
Can't stand the bullet button bit. A lot of people push the AR's with the BB but its not for me. I would love to have an AR but not in CA. I almost left this state. Family is all that keeps me here.

06-11-2012, 7:45 PM
I don't know anything about the CZ, but my Mini 30 is rock solid. It eats Wolf steel case and surplus junk without skipping a beat. Not the most accurate rifles ever but reliable and fun.

With that being said I just got an AR with a BB, just because I've been wanting an AR, and I'm willing to have the BB.

Have you thought about doing a featureless AR. Not trying to push the AR thing more than it will be, but if you wanted an AR but no BB might be something to think about.

06-11-2012, 7:57 PM
I looked into it. They look ugly. Not that looks affect function, but it sure is ugly. And i have never held one but they look uncomfortable. But like I said I never held one.

06-11-2012, 7:58 PM
I may have given up on AR's too early. But none of the options for CA AR's seem appealing to me. I just rather go the mini or saiga route. If I could afford one I would love to get an M1A! I love thoe guns but 1800 is way too much for me. I am pushing my limits with the mini at 700

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 8:15 PM
saiga 7.62x39?

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 8:19 PM
i think it's a handsome gun, in a utilitarian sort of way

06-11-2012, 8:42 PM
I agree. I like the Saiga AK. I like the traditional style stocks just fine. Which is why I look at the mini 30's so much. And I really like the mini's action! But they lack some of the features I want from an AR. Quicker magazine exchange(not for stupid reasons but for recreation... I like being able to push the mag release with one hand while the other is retrieving the next mag.), single point sling, and accuracy. I like the competition stuff. And I can make do with the mini or the saiga. I just get frustrated with the limitation CA has placed on us.

The Right to Bear Arms
06-11-2012, 9:29 PM
Check this Saiga out. It's the same one MossyMan posted only completely converted to the AKM. No disrespect to the Mini 30. I actually considered the Mini 14 myself as I like Rifles that look like Rifles.

06-11-2012, 9:38 PM
Hickock45 did a video on the CZ bolt rifle in that caliber, you may want to check that out. Looked pretty sweet to me.

06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Love me my CZ, took my pig with it and carried it for deer last year. Its topped with a redfield 2-7. Grea light handy gun and shoots steel case wolf all day long. No issues at all with mine, the early models had some issues with the firing pin spring not strong enough for military primers, this was fixed and the upgraded ones were marked with an M after 527. Mine was from retail, and any one you buy should be too.

Great fun plinker and brush gun.

06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Have you thought about an SKS? Maybe you have one already.

06-11-2012, 11:28 PM
cz 527 ALL the way. a shooting buddy has one and its definitely very nice for what it is supposed to be. i think this rifle would surprise most people who think 7.62x39 can't really reach out accurately - it really surprised me the first time.

if i remember correctly the cost will be about the same but the mini30. but to me the mini30 felt like a roughly and cheaply put together $350 dollar rifle with a $6/700 price tag. often perform like one too. the 527, while not perfect by any means, feels like a good well thought out gun that shoots really well. trigger is nice for a factory trigger too. although its much easier to blast lead out of a mini30 if you are in the mood.

yes, i would also pick it over the other options suggested such as saiga, sks, 7.62x39 ar, etc. and i say this as a saiga owner who also wants an sks eventually. although i am also biased on the sense that i really like many of CZ's products even if a lot of them are a bit rough here and there or don't have that final attention to small detail that we expect from some other products.

06-12-2012, 2:02 AM
For that rd I would def pick an Ak patter, followed by the cz, honorable mention to the sks.

06-18-2012, 6:19 PM
Thanks for the input. The CZ is very tempting. I am still tempted to go with the Mini only because I can still hunt with it and it can double as a defensive carbine. But then I own an AK. Still thinking. Tough choices.

06-19-2012, 6:09 AM
Iam not a fan of featureless rifles but the hammerhead grip that exile machine looks pretty cool in my book. But only if its in black to match the gun. You may want to look into it.

06-19-2012, 6:54 AM
another Savage bolt rifle , maybe another mosin nagant. i am starting to see the beauty in them. killer ammo for .25c. got to love 7.62- 54