PDA

View Full Version : Dillon XL 650 shell plate jump fix

Darklyte27
06-11-2012, 4:51 PM
This is a quick fix for those new with the Dillon xl 650 loader,

So after trying a few rds on my 650, i noticed that when the shell plate moves to the next station the plate jumps as the ball falls into the detent which causes the brass with powder to shake and spill powder.

Searching on youtube I found this video 8L7CPypGlDo

This quick fix solves the problem by cutting the spring some what.
I then found out that if you tighten the center screw and then turn it back just enough for the shell plate to rotate then locking the set screw this stops the shell plate from jumping and your brass should now not spill powder.

TMC
06-11-2012, 5:05 PM
Nice video. The fix has been around a LONG time but its good for the new folks to see it.

That's a nice clean press, I wish mine looked that good. After 11 years and over 100,000 rounds they get a bit dirty.

morrow
06-11-2012, 5:11 PM
That's fixing it 1/3 of the way. There's 3 steps:
1. cut some of the spring down (WAY too much tension stock)
2. adjust the indexing block (half way down the link) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/329662_.html
3. bearing mod http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&hl=shellplate bearing&st=0

I found all 3 to be of equal importance.

Darklyte27
06-11-2012, 5:39 PM
Like I said, this is for people that are new or just got the 650 like myself.
You guys may have known about this for a while but we havent therefore this thread is to help new guys.

The video and press isnt mine but mine is 2 weeks new.
As for the arfcom link, thats a lot to read about these kids having a pissing contest so i skimmed till i found something important.

what is the bearing mod?

TKM
06-11-2012, 5:51 PM
The RCBS Pro2000 had a similar problem.

They sent out a bunch of less energetic springs.

Darklyte27
06-11-2012, 6:15 PM
I cut my spring almost half way, and adjusted the indexing block, this pretty much solves the problem.

I think mainly the spring ball detent wants to slide into the hole in the shell plate with such force it was forcing the plate to snap into place. with a lighter spring it pretty much eliminates that and the block controlling the plates movement.

morrow
06-11-2012, 7:01 PM
Like I said, this is for people that are new or just got the 650 like myself.
You guys may have known about this for a while but we havent therefore this thread is to help new guys.

The video and press isnt mine but mine is 2 weeks new.
As for the arfcom link, thats a lot to read about these kids having a pissing contest so i skimmed till i found something important.

what is the bearing mod?
The ar15.com link you need to scroll half way down to the picture to get a good idea how to adjust the indexing block

Bearing mod = http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570&hl=shellplate bearing&st=0

morrow
06-11-2012, 7:05 PM
I cut my spring almost half way, and adjusted the indexing block, this pretty much solves the problem.

I think mainly the spring ball detent wants to slide into the hole in the shell plate with such force it was forcing the plate to snap into place. with a lighter spring it pretty much eliminates that and the block controlling the plates movement.

The shell plate snaps into place because the indexing block 'pushes' the shell plate and the ball 'snaps' the shellplate into the final position.

-The bearing mod helps greatly beacuse with that you can tighten the shell plate bolt down further this increasing the tension and stability on the shellplate

-Cutting the spring down helps because the ball isn't pressing so hard against the shellplate causing a large snap, BUT, you still want the ball to push hard enough to determine the final stopping place of the shellplate

-Adjust the indexing block forward to it pushes the shell plate 'forward' more. Mine is adjusted so it pushes the shellplate nearly all the way, and along with the tightness, the ball barely snaps it at all (hard to tell). WARNING DO NOT adjust the indexing block too far forward, so that the ball is not longer being the final resting place of each index.

Bill Steele
06-11-2012, 7:06 PM
I liked the fix the guy on youtube had, pick up a bullet and as the ram comes down, with the middle finger of the hand with the bullet in it, hook the case just before it snaps into the detent, glance in the case, set the bullet that is now hovering over the case mouth, repeat. Seemed easy enough.

Na-vah-duh
06-11-2012, 8:25 PM
Its amazing how many people just unscrew the shelplate bolt before doing the small 1/8th screw on the side.

joelogic
06-11-2012, 8:59 PM
I like the thrust bearing mod for OAL consistency. For powder spillage I just ride the shell from station 3 to 4 with my middle finger while pointer and thumb hold a bullet.