PDA

View Full Version : So...VFGs on carbines

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Thoughts?

Was thinking about getting a decent stubby one for my 16" carbine length, but i don't know.

I have a cheap $10 promag one that i used on my 10/22 before, and i threw that on. Feels ok i guess, but its super long.

Any suggestions on VFGs and their uses?

KMosley
06-11-2012, 6:07 PM
I purchased the Larue FUG and couldn't be happier, Its the best all around VFG in my opinion. Features quick detach throw lever, and can be converted from stubby, to full size, and also into a monopod.

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 6:09 PM
are VFGs really useful? or is it mostly mall ninja gear

anymoose
06-11-2012, 6:10 PM
Depends on your use of the gun, the entire gun could be mall ninja gear depending on the use

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 6:17 PM
Depends on your use of the gun, the entire gun could be mall ninja gear depending on the use

My AR15 has almost no practical use except range/hobby gun. (due to the BB, the mini-14 is still my go-to gun)

It's mainly just for fun.

Fractured
06-11-2012, 6:31 PM
They make stubbies if you feel a normal one is too long.

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 6:40 PM
My 16" is in my sig I run a VFG I like it, more comfortable for me.

JeremyKX
06-11-2012, 6:42 PM
I use the Magpul AFG. Just feels more natural.

victorr
06-11-2012, 6:45 PM
With a one point sling, zero'd laser, and firing real low (belly area) and it attached to the side (9 o'clock), it helps A LOT.

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 7:10 PM
I use the Magpul AFG. Just feels more natural.

have one that i used on my marauder a while back.....

carbine length handguard is too short to use AFG for me

anymoose
06-11-2012, 7:32 PM
My AR15 has almost no practical use except range/hobby gun. (due to the BB, the mini-14 is still my go-to gun)

It's mainly just for fun.

for slow shooting range duty, they are pretty pointless.

when i was in the service, we had standard 20" ARs and M4s were starting to be rolled out to the grunts. but for us with our giant rifles and standard hand guards, for CQC we held the mag well, this worked well for what we had, but it didnt make sense for long range shooting where you could take your time to acquire a target, the front end moved a lot.

the point of the VFG is to give you that same type of mag well grip for clearing houses/ quick acquisition, but extended a bit to sort of meet in the middle between stability and compactness.

if you set one up, you want it to be out as far as comfortably possible to give you a stable grip, i see a lot of guns set up with a VFG just an inch or 2 in front of the mag well, which defeats the purpose of the stability that it should bring.

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 7:39 PM
for slow shooting range duty, they are pretty pointless.

when i was in the service, we had standard 20" ARs and M4s were starting to be rolled out to the grunts. but for us with our giant rifles and standard hand guards, for CQC we held the mag well, this worked well for what we had, but it didnt make sense for long range shooting where you could take your time to acquire a target, the front end moved a lot.

the point of the VFG is to give you that same type of mag well grip for clearing houses/ quick acquisition, but extended a bit to sort of meet in the middle between stability and compactness.

if you set one up, you want it to be out as far as comfortably possible to give you a stable grip, i see a lot of guns set up with a VFG just an inch or 2 in front of the mag well, which defeats the purpose of the stability that it should bring.

Don't know about that it defeats the purpose. I don't have long arms and having a VFG helps me a lot even for range shooting. Also I keep mine a inch or two in front of the mag well because to me it feels more comfortable, I don't like grabbing the mag well because it just feels uncomfortable to me and having it that few inches in front of the mag well does actually give me a more comfortable hold on my rifle.

radioburning
06-11-2012, 7:39 PM
If it feels more comfortable to you, or helps your shooting, don't worry about what other people think. I have some guns that feels 100% ergonomically better with a VFG. I have plenty of others where it's not necessary.

brando
06-11-2012, 7:51 PM
It's a personal preference thing.

About 20 years ago I was a young NCO in 10th SF and came across my first VFG on an AR platform. We had CAR-15s back then, about 2 years before the M4 was finalized, and some of us would do operator-level modifications to our weapons. Mind you, this is before accessory rails and most devices designed to mount to fore-ends. To do a vertical foregrip we'd take an M-16 grip and mount it to the bottom handguard via an aluminum plate that a bolt would screw into. Some guys thought a full-sized grip was too much, so they chopped them down a bit. I took a dremel to mine to simplify it.

For me it was handier for run-n-gun, but less when you're crawling around, firing from the prone. It was also handy to clip against a pod while you adjust your **** while zipping through the air. After a while I ditched mine and wouldn't revisit it until the RAS and accessories became prolific in the GWOT years, but the way I used that front grip also evolved.

Initially I gripped it full hand-and-thumb, if you know what I mean, controlling the weapon with a full vertical grip. Over time I found it easier and more comfortable to use the VFG has an index for a half-on/half-off grip.

So it's really a personal preference - works for some, not for others, and there are many ways to employ it.

anymoose
06-11-2012, 8:03 PM
Don't know about that it defeats the purpose. I don't have long arms and having a VFG helps me a lot even for range shooting. Also I keep mine a inch or two in front of the mag well because to me it feels more comfortable, I don't like grabbing the mag well because it just feels uncomfortable to me and having it that few inches in front of the mag well does actually give me a more comfortable hold on my rifle.

I probably worded that a bit wrong, I probably meant that it defeats the general theory of it. If its comfortable for you, that's all that matters.

Like an above poster said, he does a half vfg, half rail grip, that's what I do. That's what's comfortable to me.

If you shoot well with your VFG top mounted and your dual red dot on the side, no one can argue that it is or isn't a bad set up.

There's things that work for me and things that dont. I keep my eotech as far forward on the upper as possible to provide stability and an open field of view, some people have red dots pulled back as close to their rear sight as possible, I don't understand why, but if it works, that's cool for them.

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 8:07 PM
I probably worded that a bit wrong, I probably meant that it defeats the general theory of it. If its comfortable for you, that's all that matters.

Like an above poster said, he does a half vfg, half rail grip, that's what I do. That's what's comfortable to me.

If you shoot well with your VFG top mounted and your dual red dot on the side, no one can argue that it is or isn't a bad set up.

There's things that work for me and things that dont. I keep my eotech as far forward on the upper as possible to provide stability and an open field of view, some people have red dots pulled back as close to their rear sight as possible, I don't understand why, but if it works, that's cool for them.

Yep I agree with you and the previous posters, it just depends on the person shooting the rifle. Everyone has their own way of shooting, if its comfortable run it the way you see fit.

G60
06-11-2012, 8:29 PM
Try it out and see how you like it. But remember, build your rifle around your style of shooting, don't adjust your style of shooting to fit all the gear you buy. (meaning, if you get one, install it near where you natually put your support hand, don't put it at X rail section because "it looks cool" and compromise your grip)

Some people use them, and some do not. What is right for one person may not be right for another.

I'll quote a trainer from a post on another forum:
"Vertical Fore Grip. A VFG can be used for more than just as a place to put your hand. They are very useful when shooting off of barricades, especially one-handed. They provide an instant reference point for access to your lights/lasers. They provide a gripping point for when you abuse your carbine for tasks such as busting out vehicle windows. You can wrap your sling around it to further stabilize it when hands-free. You can throw small tools, batteries, or an extra bolt in it. "

Now, most of us aren't going to be busting out windows, but you can see the other advantages one may offer to the shooter.

r8dr rider
06-11-2012, 8:42 PM
Nothing wrong with mall ninja stuff on your AR. Its your money do what you want. If it looks cool and feels comfortable get it. I have one on my AR just cuz it looks cool I usually hold the magwell when I shoot anyway. Too many people here talk smack about what others have on their guns.

Donk310
06-11-2012, 8:50 PM
Nothing wrong with mall ninja stuff on your AR. Its your money do what you want. If it looks cool and feels comfortable get it. I have one on my AR just cuz it looks cool I usually hold the magwell when I shoot anyway. Too many people here talk smack about what others have on their guns.

Word up!!!

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 8:51 PM

Yeah, I don't care what people do with their rifle its their money. People love to talk trash about how mall ninja-ish someone is or how their brand isn't or cant handle hard use. Its all B.S really just do what you want and have fun.

tuna quesadilla
06-11-2012, 9:07 PM
I keep my eotech as far forward on the upper as possible to provide stability and an open field of view, some people have red dots pulled back as close to their rear sight as possible, I don't understand why, but if it works, that's cool for them.

I always laugh when I see somebody running an Aimpoint or similar in a cantilevered mount way back towards their rear sight. I've even seen a cantilever mount installed backwards. :rofl:

Yeah, I don't care what people do with their rifle its their money. People love to talk trash about how mall ninja-ish someone is or how their brand isn't or cant handle hard use. Its all B.S really just do what you want and have fun.

Page 36 in the Bushmaster owner's manual tells new owners to say exactly this. It's under the "It's OK, your civi-spec rifle really is just as good as your neighbor's Colt" section.

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 9:09 PM
im pretty certain that for my purposes, my smith is just as good as a colt

brando
06-11-2012, 9:20 PM
If your EOTech is on your duty weapon and you shoot daily, you should move it back onto the upper receiver instead of sitting over the barrel. Guys at the tip of the spear noticed that cumulative exposure to barrel heat lead to electronics failures. Just sayin'

tuna quesadilla
06-11-2012, 9:40 PM
If your EOTech is on your duty weapon and you shoot daily, you should move it back onto the upper receiver instead of sitting over the barrel. Guys at the tip of the spear noticed that cumulative exposure to barrel heat lead to electronics failures. Just sayin'

I guess that's one more reason to go for the EXPS line over the traditional 5xx. :thumbsup:

Mossy Man
06-11-2012, 9:40 PM
im confused..are posts disappearing?

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 9:50 PM
im confused..are posts disappearing?

Yes and nevermind it. Now back on topic. I feel like if you're gonna run a VFG it should have storage in it. I notice some don't have it and IMO that's a waste of space.

Donk310
06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Yes and nevermind it. Now back on topic. I feel like if you're gonna run a VFG it should have storage in it. I notice some don't have it and IMO that's a waste of space.

Mine has storage, but I have nothing to store. If I had money to waste, I would replace it with a different type that did not have storage space.

strongpoint
06-11-2012, 11:24 PM
forget mall ninja or not mall ninja -- it's all about ergonomics. try a few options (AFG, VFG, stubby) and see how they feel, how they affect your grip and comfort level. if one works for you, keep it.

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Mine has storage, but I have nothing to store. If I had money to waste, I would replace it with a different type that did not have storage space.

I like plenty of storage even if I don't use it. Leaves an open space just in case I need to throw something in there.

Agent 0range
06-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I use mine because my rail tends to get pretty hot after prolonged use especially on a hot day in the desert. I don't want to wear gloves and the VFG helps me to not even notice the heat. I don't use it for storage or to look cool, it's just more comfortable and actually does serve a purpose (although it does look cool:D)

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
I use mine because my rail tends to get pretty hot after prolonged use especially on a hot day in the desert. I don't want to wear gloves and the VFG helps me to not even notice the heat. I don't use it for storage or to look cool, it's just more comfortable and actually does serve a purpose (although it does look cool:D)

yep I agree, after a couple mag dumps it gets pretty warm the VFG helps in that area.

Droppin Deuces
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
I have one on my carbine, but I find that I almost never use it at the range except occasionally as a monopod. When seated or kneeling with the sling cinched up, I hold behind it, closer to the magwell. When prone, my hand always finds its way out front and it's mostly used as a handstop. If I were standing or running around playing Travis Haley, I would probably use it more.

06-12-2012, 4:07 AM
Thoughts?

Yes.

Any suggestions on VFGs and their uses?

I use the Magpul RVG (inexpensive and short) at the muzzle end of the rail with a 50/50 grip.

zfields
06-12-2012, 8:01 AM
I use the Magpul RVG (inexpensive and short) at the muzzle end of the rail with a 50/50 grip.

Tapco stubby, same grip. Use it more as a handstop then as a "grip"