PDA

View Full Version : barrel whip and FF rails

Metal Magic
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey everybody

This weekend I installed a centurion arms c4 rail and a low pro block, I seem to have about 1/32" clearance around the top of the block and the inside of the rail. I was wondering if this is sufficient to compensate for barrel whip while firing ? It is a govt profile barrel and actually ran 30 rounds flawless on Sunday. Any input would be appreciated, I can slightly move the barrel in all directions about a 32 nd so I figured I should be good what do y'all think ?

Arkangel
06-11-2012, 2:37 PM
I'm by no means a SME on AR's, but I don't think your barrel should move at all with just hand pressure.

Metal Magic
06-11-2012, 3:06 PM
Yea it's prob closer too 1/64 in all respects but no the barrel does not move rather it flexs slightly. Pretty common from what I've read I'm more concerned with the gas block making contact during a shot causing damage

tuna quesadilla
06-11-2012, 3:58 PM
I'm by no means a SME on AR's, but I don't think your barrel should move at all with just hand pressure.

The barrel flexing ever-so-slightly under hand pressure is normal.

G60
06-11-2012, 4:37 PM
I'm by no means a SME on AR's...

That much is apparent.

Metal Magic
06-11-2012, 5:40 PM
No input on how much a barrel is expected to whip during firing? Any good ideas on how to gauge? I checked the block and see no signs of contact (I guess is the only way to measure?)

Arkangel
06-11-2012, 5:46 PM
Mine does not move under normal hand pressure, neither does any other AR I have dealt with so the statement seemed odd.

Arkangel
06-11-2012, 5:47 PM
That much is apparent.

I glad you believe me :)

Metal Magic
06-11-2012, 6:29 PM
LOL Ok enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKaPkvOtEo

go to 1:39 and tell me the barrel doesn't move

The leverage from your hand can cause a barrel to flex ever so slightly, of course barrels are made to be tough (flexible) so it doesn't break its self apart from being shot

The question is . . . . my block is very, very close to the rail and I am wondering if this will effect accuracy or damage the rail or block, I would guess I'm g2g because I can not see viable strike marks but was looking for some guys who have really tight fits maybe with experience.

tuna quesadilla
06-11-2012, 7:08 PM
You are worrying WAY too much about this. No, shooting an AR15 as it was designed is not going to damage it. Get offline and go shoot the thing.

Arkangel
06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
LOL Ok enough

go to 1:39 and tell me the barrel doesn't move

Under the force of recoil... Yes. I ment with normal hand pressure. I thought you meant that there was some play in your barrel-My mistake.

The question is . . . . my block is very, very close to the rail and I am wondering if this will effect accuracy or damage the rail or block, I would guess I'm g2g because I can not see viable strike marks but was looking for some guys who have really tight fits maybe with experience.

I agree with Tuna, you should be g2g. Enjoy your rifle and stay safe .