PDA

View Full Version : trouble shooting with my rifle, .308

darks
06-11-2012, 10:27 AM
i got a little trouble shooting with my .308 rifle. i bought a 308 pof-usa upper and a stripped pof-usa lower which i put together. i used ar15 trigger system to put in the 308 stripped lower. the problem is i shot the first round which fired, but second round is not, due to failures to cock, but there are round in the chamber ready to fire. Everyone have any ideas of what wrong did i make? may be wrong trigger system? or what? and the bolt release won't catch the bolt. Also i have a question about ammo:confused:, 7.62x51mm nato. from ammoseek.com which brand is better wolf or brown bear? or any other brands ammo is good for my pof-usa rifle.

Big D
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
I believe that AR-10 triggers are not the same as AR-15 triggers.

alfred1222
06-12-2012, 12:56 AM
i got a little trouble shooting with my .308 rifle. i bought a 308 pof-usa upper and a stripped pof-usa lower which i put together. i used ar15 trigger system to put in the 308 stripped lower. the problem is i shot the first round which fired, but second round is not, due to failures to cock, but there are round in the chamber ready to fire. Everyone have any ideas of what wrong did i make? may be wrong trigger system? or what? and the bolt release won't catch the bolt. Also i have a question about ammo:confused:, 7.62x51mm nato. from ammoseek.com which brand is better wolf or brown bear? or any other brands ammo is good for my pof-usa rifle.

THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM, I had a guy at the range a month back with a brand new AR-10 style rifle. He sets up, fires one round, and than nothing. Has to manually rack the action, a good bullet flies out, and than he can fire again. I walk over, and see that he's shooting cheap sh*t ammo, some steel cased brand i hadn't even heard of before. I handed him 5 rounds of PMC, and it shot thought them like no problem. I would upgrade your choice in ammo

floridaone2
06-12-2012, 9:05 AM
I had the same problem with my first ar build. It turned out that I left out the disconnector spring. By the way it is left out of the DPMS expanded parts picture that came with my kit. And also with a full blow up I printed out that I had found online. Something to look at.

eviioiive
06-12-2012, 9:13 AM
1st- buy good ammo
2nd- have someone make sure you put everything together properly

NotEnufGarage
06-12-2012, 9:45 AM
Complete upper - $1999
Stripped lower - $499
Lower Parts Kit - $65
Cheap Russian Ammo - $9
Failure to fire - Priceless

Remember - everything is new and tight. It'll take a few hundred rounds for the bolt to wear into the upper and for the buffer and spring to take a set. After that, you might be able to use cheap ammo. For now, stick to the good stuff.

MrExel17
06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
OP had the exact same problem, AR10/AR15 use the same trigger system i.e Rock River Arms & Geissele 2-stage, both I own and fired in both platforms. You can be specific like a AR10 Timney longer and heavier hammer strike. From what I experiences in the quality of cheap ammo, dont use them for that type of platform its like saying pumping regular gas in a Lambo. At the very least I would use PMCs 308s.this corrected the issue fast. But the Wolf and Bears is a 50/50 toss up. I might be wrong on some points just my 0.02

darks
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Thank you everyone. i will break in my rifle with good ammo first. if the problem is still persisted, then i will buy AR 10 trigger systems to install it in.

shellslinger
06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Thank you everyone. i will break in my rifle with good ammo first. if the problem is still persisted, then i will buy AR 10 trigger systems to install it in.

Yeah if the gun isn't cycling. I would fix on that issue first. It's probably ammo or gas related.

Tack425
06-14-2012, 6:29 PM
Darks,
I have a POF P308 and have had to trouble shoot it a little, but can you clarify a few things for us? What spring and buffer did you use? This combination has to be for the .308 platform and you can not use a AR15 buffer and spring because it is too light. What stock and buffer tube are you using? If it is dented or restricted at all it will not let the rifle cycle. Another possibility is your gas system. You should be running the gas regulator in the "N" position. If not in the "N" position and it is in the "S" position, too much gas will be bled off and not push the piston rod back enough to cycle. The trigger isn't a problem as the POF lowers are meant to use an AR15 trigger. What type of weapon lube have you used and where did you put it? Use some on the BCG and buffer and buffer tube. I really like Extreme Weapons Lube for both of my POF rifles( P308 and P416). Also the what mags are you using? POF rifles seem to like Magpul only. The ammo can be a problem also as other have said use only good quality ammo until you can get it to cycle correctly.
My $ is on your buffer, buffer tube and buffer spring being the problem. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Let me know what you come up with

Barto
06-14-2012, 6:54 PM
What kind of trigger is he running?
AR-10 trigger will not work in POF lower, I don't think.

cabinetguy
06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
ar-10's can use ar-15 triggers, anybody who says otherwise is misinformed. The parts that are different in a ar-10 are the takedown pins and the bolt catch, if you used the ar-15 bolt catch from the kit it will not work right. You also need to use a ar-10 spring and buffer for the buffer tube due to the roughly 3/4" longer bolt.

Tack425
06-15-2012, 4:12 PM
ar-10's can use ar-15 triggers, anybody who says otherwise is misinformed. The parts that are different in a ar-10 are the takedown pins and the bolt catch, if you used the ar-15 bolt catch from the kit it will not work right. You also need to use a ar-10 spring and buffer for the buffer tube due to the roughly 3/4" longer bolt.

Exactly what cabinet guy said. I run a Geissele SSA-E trigger with no problems at all. The only parts that you can't use from an Ar-15 lower parts kit is the front take down pin (because of the extra width from the .308 mag) and bolt catch which is longer.