PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Gapmaster
06-11-2012, 6:03 AM
I have been kicking around ideas on how I should carry my 12 gauge rounds with me (if I ever had to bug out heaven forbid), but would like some opinions on what or how some of you guys are set up. I have been considering a Bandolier and see that the leather ones I have found are really expensive. The Blackhawk is priced reasonable but I'm unsure of the build quality. I have seen cheeper ones, but they don't look like they would hold up at all, or the loops look like they would stretch out of shape. Anyone have any experience with the Blackhawk? What would be your feelings on other kinds of carriers, like maybe molle pouches? Looking for ideas and help. I hope I posted in the right place for this. If not, sorry admins. Oh, also looking at the Galco Ballistic sling or the Spector gear 3 point sling. Any thoughts on those? Thanks, Gapmaster

TacticalPlinker
06-11-2012, 6:16 AM
Blackhawk makes the bandolier and a belt. I have the bandolier and it's extremely heavy duty, basically a fixed web belt without a buckle and with elastic loops. But warning, it gets heavy and it's not very comfortable.

If you have a belt or some sort of MOLLE rig, you could consider these;
http://www.lapolicegear.com/condor-shotgun-reload.html
http://www.lapolicegear.com/shotgun-ammo-pouch.html

I have 2 of those ammo pouches. They work but only hold 12 shotgun rounds, though I have found by putting more than 1 round per elastic loop, you can also hold other ammunition such as 7.62 x 39mm (I think I was able to fit about 30 in the pouch).

Check out Original SOE, they have a bunch of different ways to hold shotgun ammo;
http://originalsoegear.com/productammo.html

SKD also has a few items;
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm
http://www.skdtac.com/Shotgun-Parts-Accessories-s/4028.htm

You can also just fill up a dump pouch or a large open pouch with shells, or even stack shells inside a magazine pouch.

There are no limit to your options. Personally, besides the bandolier, it's difficult to carry a good amount of shotgun ammo on your person because of weight.

Gapmaster
06-11-2012, 3:30 PM
Thanks very much for the great information. And thanks for the links. Gave me alot to consider. I think along with the other gear you listed, I will still get a bandolier only for the convenience of being able to grab and go light if needed. I don't want to sound quirky, but I'm still so undecided about so many things concerning how I want to be set up. But, I do know I want my shotgun included. I have alot of faith in the 870. I am currently loading 12 gauge round balls and after shooting a few I realized just how useful this gun can be even compared to any rifle I have. Thanks again for the good info. :) Gapmaster

TacticalPlinker
06-11-2012, 4:21 PM
Yeah, there is a lot to consider... As mentioned I have the bandolier and 2 of these shell pouches, but otherwise I am too am undecided on my shotgun setup in terms of how I want to carry extra ammunition.

The bandolier is nice for quick pick up and go. The other options will most likely require a dedicated rig of some sort... chest rig, plate carrier, or even a belt (battle belt)... Or you can use some of those products to add shotgun dedicated capability to an existing rig/setup.

GW
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I have thought about this a lot and decided if I have to bug out I will probably leave the shotgun behind
The ammo is just too bulky and heavy for bugging out.
50 rounds of shotgun ammo weighs as much as 300 rounds of .223
That said, if a shotgun is all you have or want to bug out with. I recommend a Maxpedition shoulder bag. It will hold a ton of SG ammo and have pouches for other gear plus a hidden pistol holster!
good luck.

stevec223
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
next time your at a gunshow or army surplus store look for a canvas army pouch that will clip on web belt and/or has belt loop on back....2 brass eyes and prongs....will hold a box(25) of shells....not the nylon one (flimsy)....good for storage and rides well on sturdy leather belt...put a full one or two in your bug-out bag or ammo can and your ready...leave the bando empty with them....cheers.....

TacticalPlinker
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
I have thought about this a lot and decided if I have to bug out I will probably leave the shotgun behind
The ammo is just too bulky and heavy for bugging out.
50 rounds of shotgun ammo weighs as much as 300 rounds of .223
That said, if a shotgun is all you have or want to bug out with. I recommend a Maxpedition shoulder bag. It will hold a ton of SG ammo and have pouches for other gear plus a hidden pistol holster!
good luck.

I agree with you on that. Unless I'm traveling by vehicle and I have time to grab my shotgun + ammo, I will be leaving it behind. But personally I have no desire or intent to bug out in the first place.

Not sure about the OP, but my intended use for any of the products I've talked about or linked above or below would be for range use, maybe training... Or close quarters defense/protection around my apartment complex or the immediate area (neighborhood).

My .50 cal ammo can of approx 200 #7 & 1/2 shotgun shells is larger and heavier than a smaller .30 cal ammo can of approx. 500 7.62 x 39mm. So unless the situation calls for a shotgun, I won't be relying on it.

My bandolier is setup for defense/protection with 25 Winchester Ranger 00 buck, 7 Winchester Ranger 1oz slugs and 19 Fiocchi 00 buck. I think I can fit about 5 more shells. The other 2 pouches I mentioned carry Winchester PDX1 defender's (1 oz slug w/ 3 00 buck pellets).

I can attach the pouches to my belt, the bandolier over my chest and whatever is on and in the shotgun itself (at the moment 13 total w/ 7+1 and a 5 round shell holder on the buttstock... plus a 4 or 6 shot side saddle to be added soon for a total of 17 or 19 in/on the shotgun itself).

That's a lot of firepower but also a lot of weight. I really would not want to carry more, if I even want to carry that.

prc77
06-12-2012, 5:38 AM
http://originalsoegear.com/12gamicro.html

Great for training classes or other social events

Gapmaster
06-12-2012, 6:18 AM
prc77, yup, saw that last night following Tactical Plinkers links. That mini looks like what I was looking for. I think I can carry a pistol and ammo with it to. The more I think about it I agree that I'm staying to defend first, bugging out last, and the shotgun will be a defense gun and something else will have to be the bug out weapon. My mind changes everyday. :banghead: Original S.O.E. sure has some nice accessories huh? Only takes money. :) Thanks for all the good ideas everyone. Gapmaster