PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Varmint/Accuracy Setup

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 1:36 AM
I have been very interested in the .22-.250 round. I like distance shooting <300yds cause thats all i can see with optics(my eyes suck) I also like the ballistics but want an honest opinion form someone that has shot this round. Overkill?? More hype than the cost of ammo is worth?? Would i be better off with something that shoots the cheaper and much more widely avail .223 Remington. Decisions...decissions. Ill be pairing whatever rifle i purchase with a 4-16x50 scope. Im a huge fan of CZ, like Ruger rifles not pistols, do not like Remington 700 or Winchester as theyre quality has dropped hard over the years.
Rifle must be under $1000. Give me some ideas please.

ddindetroit
06-11-2012, 2:29 AM
You have a lot of choices. I would recommend the 223 since it's well within the capable range envelope. You will have a lot less cost and huge availability of ammo should you run out -- any hardware store or Walmart will have this ammo. The 22-250 is very capable but expensive and very loud. You may draw unwanted attention (from farmers, ranchers who are always wary about anything causing problems for their livestock).

Lots of great 223 systems out there.

Good Luck,

DD

jeffrice6
06-11-2012, 2:55 AM
The 22-250 is a wonderful round! Trumps the .223 hands down... As a youth busted many a rock-chuck with my Remington 22-250. Still have her, just don't get her out that much. For just punching paper at the range the 22-250 is probably over kill, but putting critters down is what the 22-250 was made for!

damon1272
06-11-2012, 5:26 AM
22-250 is a great round. Like others said if you are punching paper at the range then it is overkill. You may want to consider looking at Tikka rifles. I have two older models and they are great. CZ makes a very nice rifle also. One last one to consider is a TC. Also if you get a 22-250 consider installing a muzzle brake as that way you can see your impacts on the target. Otherwise you will get scope blackout. You will not have this issue with .223

gunsarefun
06-11-2012, 6:36 AM
For me, when the topic of 22-250 or .204 comes up, I just keep coming back to .223. Those two oddball rounds are just so costly when compared to .223.

dfletcher
06-11-2012, 9:34 AM
I have been very interested in the .22-.250 round. I like distance shooting <300yds cause thats all i can see with optics(my eyes suck) I also like the ballistics but want an honest opinion form someone that has shot this round. Overkill?? More hype than the cost of ammo is worth?? Would i be better off with something that shoots the cheaper and much more widely avail .223 Remington. Decisions...decissions. Ill be pairing whatever rifle i purchase with a 4-16x50 scope. Im a huge fan of CZ, like Ruger rifles not pistols, do not like Remington 700 or Winchester as theyre quality has dropped hard over the years.

The Ruger 77V is an excellent rifle right out of the box. Nice flat forend and the trigger is easily adjustable for a great pull. I'm quite certain it comes in 22-250. You should be able to get one for about $700.00. I have them in 223, 6.5 Creedmoor, 25.06 and 308. All are excellent shooters.

Savage makes an excellent bolt action rifle, their 12 BVSS is available in 22-250.

Something different - T/C Encore single shot is an excellent choice too. I have a bunch of rifle barrels for my Encore, all shoot very well.

I have a Remington 700 VSSF II and although quality is fine the rate of twist is slow - I think it's 1 in 12 (or 1 in 14) and that was a bit disappointing. I wanted to use heavier bullets and the slower rate of twist means I'm pretty much stuck with 60 - 62 grains and below.

Vacaville
06-11-2012, 9:48 AM
I did a Weatherby Vanguard .223 set-up last year with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 -14 x 42 scope and Rock Mount bipod. My goal was exactly what you stated - an accurate varmint/small game rifle for close to mid-range shooting that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Total cost was around $900 for rifle, scope, and bipod.

The Vanguard is a Howa 1500 action. Weatherby guarantees it will shoot 1.5 MOA or less out of the box. My set up has consistently shot around 3/4" groups at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo (Winchester, Remington).

I chose the .223 based on availability, cost, and my experience with it in the military as an accurate round; plus I expect to be buying another .223 in the near future. I've been trying to reduce the number of different calibers I am stocking over the last year or so.

Another rifle that you may want to consider that would be in the same price range as the Vanguard is a Tikka. People on here who have them love them.

Coyotegunner
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I would consider a 22-250 or 308 a move up for someone that owns a 223 already.If the price of ammo is a consideration.I just think everone should own a 223.That being said,I own several 22-250s and reload/shoot them as my favorites.I own Browning,Remington,Sako,Tikka,Howa/WeatherbyVanguard.Consider a light gun if you think you may have to carry it.With my reloads,even the 6-1/4lb Tikka will shoot sub 1/2 at 100yds in 223 and 22-250.On the heavy side of things,my beauty is a Browning Hi Wall 22-250.I do not own any CZ,but they look to be a fine rifle and I would like to own a few.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a little bit of experience with the .223 as i owned a Rock River AR back when i was stationed in FL. Ive never shot a bolt action .223 and ive heard its a whole new animal when considering accuracy. My rock river was fairly accurate but i had it set up with an eotech and basically worked on <50 yd shooting. All those hot .200 and up rounds are very tempting. I have to register my other guns, sell them, and then I will take a serious look into one of the Ruger rifles and hopefully find a nice 1911 as well. Thanks for the guidance and comments everyone.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I also forgot to mention that ive been shooting CZ handguns and rifles since my dad introduced them to me. I own a 452 Ultra Lux in .22LR which is one hell of a fun bolt action 22. However i want to be able to be accurate even when the wind picks up, and wind pushes that damn .22 around like nothing.

milotrain
06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
.22-250 is nice but has no real distance handling past 400 yards unless you build one specifically with a slow twist and handload 80gr rounds.

.223 is cheap and decently accurate to around 400 yards but out to 600 it gets blown about by wind unless again you are shooting a slow twist barrel with 80gr loads.

.308 is big, expensive, and way too heavy for varmint shooting I think.

6mm BR is expensive but very capable out to 1000 yards. You must handload and you will not build a gun for less than $1k, although Savage will sell you a 6BR gun for $1300.

I also love the CZ rifles but you are limited to a .223 or .22-250 realistically. Savage makes a delightful action which will shoot almost anything. If you are limiting yourself to 300 yards and under get a CZ in .223 and handload, you'll be very very pleased.

Richard Erichsen
06-11-2012, 1:24 PM

We got the distance you want to cover and the rifles you like, but the quarry you are shooting isn't all that clear. Gophers? Coyotes? What?

For a rifle I'd be happy to hunt anything from smaller mammals to deer sized critters .243 with appropriate ammo selection. If you never go as large as deer where .223 is suitable though somewhat less capable. Clarify what varmint is the target of this new rifle.

R

Switchbarrel
06-11-2012, 7:58 PM
.22-250 is nice but has no real distance handling past 400 yards unless you build one specifically with a slow twist and handload 80gr rounds.

You want a faster twist to stabilize heavier bullets (ie, 1-7" or 1-8") vs. something slower like 1-12" or 1-14".

With a $1000 budget and talking about factory guns, your title should be more like "Ultimate compromise" or something along those lines.

Build on a Savage or Stevens action with a Criterion barrel (or other custom pre-fit) and Stockade unfinished or B&C A2 style gunstock. You could have something semi-custom for very close to your budgeted amount.

I have a Savage .22-250 and it's ridiculously accurate but, if you handload there are better choices for "Ultimate & Accuracy" setups.

You should also consider your shooting platform for stock choice(s). Bi-pod or sandbags vs. pedestal rests are also something to consider.

If you have bad eyes but, access to shoot further than 300yds, sell your scope and get something more powerful.

-Rick

Fjold
06-11-2012, 8:13 PM
I have a 22.250 with a 1:10 twist Pacnor supermatch barrel in a Choate Ultra-varminter stock that weighs in at about 10 Lbs scoped. I can spot 55 grain bullet hits even at 16 to 20 power. It's absolutely devastating on ground squirrels and out to 300 yards they are just chunky, red, rain when hit.

With the 68 grain SMK's they'll stay supersonic past 1,000 yards and are a joy to shoot prone for long range matches.

RugerNo1
06-11-2012, 8:30 PM
My Ruger No. 1 (:D) is chambered in 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm and is my favorite varmint rifle. Short, relatively light given the varmint contour 24" barrel, and fairly balanced in case I need to pop off a quick off-hand shot. I use a 35 grain Hornady lead free at damn near 4000 fps. I do not really start noticing drop until about the 350 yard mark (if the squirells are standing, I just aim for the head or a hair above and will connect). Wind is hell though. When outside the condor zone, my favorite load for it is a 52 grain SMK at about 3600 fps which makes it to 625 yards easily. My longest squirrel kill (third shot hit, poor bastard was a dummy). Still, wind is hell...

However, the 22-250 is overbore pretty good. My barrel has about 2200 rounds (guess based on how many boxes of bullets I have gone through) through it and has been throwing uncalled fliers the last few times I have taken it out. The throat is eroded so far forward I can barely keep close enough to the lands.