PDA

View Full Version : Coming back home from military with guns?

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:37 AM
I have remained a CA resident since I was born here in 1983. I joined the US Air Force and served in FL for 6 years. I purchased a two tone FNH Five Seven(20 rd or 10rd), a CZ 75 Phantom(18rd or 10rd), and a Smith and Wesson M&P 45(10rd). I am separating from the service and want to bring my firearms back home with me. Since I was technically a resident of FL and CA and purchased these guns with my PCS orders and active duty military ID while in FL, can i just bring them back with me or would I have to go through the FFl transfer and registration process? Very confused here and the laws seem to be interpreted at anyone's will.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I forgot to mention that all of my handguns and longguns(all bolt action non-assault type) were purchased on a military installation in FL. Eglin AFB to be exact. One of the few bases BX's where firearms could be purchased. My dorm was ransacked while I was in Afghanistan, and all of my weapons records along with my laptop were stolen. We were not allowed to store firearms in the dorms so luckily they werent stolen too. I have a record of all serial numbers on file though so hopefully if I do have to register that wont be an issue.

mc21
06-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you can just bring them in (no hi capacity mags unless youre exempt). Only needs to go through FFL for sales I believe.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:47 AM
thats what i was under the impression of. I disasemmbled all of my hi caps. im using only 10rd magazines in all of them. If i go to a local shooting range then, i dont have to worry about shooting the Five Seven even though it is unaproved(due to color). That was my main concern, having my weapons seized while just out shooting having a good time you know.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:49 AM
it really sucks because whether its CA or Fed, these laws can be interpreted so many diff ways. Especially when military records or history are involved. Texas and FL have their stuff together when it comes to guns, ill tell you that.

mc21
06-11-2012, 12:54 AM
off roster just means you can't buy it legally from a FFL. It doesn't mean you can't own it or buy it via ppt/sse. Wait for someone to confirm but I am pretty sure what I said is right. and good job for looking up all the laws since your careers on the line :)

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:56 AM
I understand what the laws are designed to prevent, but i am the farthest thing from a criminal or threat to authorities. I've been shooting my whole life and cant help but feel threatened by some of these laws. I feel like im breaking the law by owning the guns i shoot well

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:57 AM
if what we both believe is right, then i should be able to either sell or trade my guns failry easily then. I wanted to sell the five seven and pick up a 1911

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 12:59 AM
for anyone out there intereseted in a FiveSeven, pass it up. The bullet is very impressive and very expensive. If you ever had to use it to defend your life you would have to be absolutey sure of your backdrop as the slowest bullets travel around 1500fps. And it has a bad rep amongst law enforecement due to drug cartel use and that sycho army major.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 1:02 AM
if anyone on here wants a desert tan five seven with a few mags holler!!! im looking for a stainless full size govt model 1911. Preferably Colt and/or Smith and Wesson. Had a springer and kimber and had problems with both(so its just preference) My five seven retailis for around $1100 so the 1911 would have to be similar qualtiy

phrogg111
06-11-2012, 1:03 AM
I just did this a few months ago - got out of the Army in September. Disassemble all hicaps, and you have to contact the CA DOJ and/or look at their website - there's a form you fill out, that has 4 slots per form, and you have to fill out multiple forms if necessary. You also have to submit $19 per handgun (in the form of a check or money order, I think) to go with the form. You have 60 days from when you get back into the state to do this.

phrogg111
06-11-2012, 1:04 AM
Oh, also - rifles don't get registered. If they're CA legal, bring them back, good to go.

mc21
06-11-2012, 1:23 AM
post on in the marketplace if you want to sell. will get more views

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 1:24 AM
thanks alot, ill contact them for the form. why do they only give 60 days. what if i dont process til i get back from my vacation. im leaving for around 2 months to visit family in Germany. Is it exactly 60 days from my seperation? What if I process 61 days later? Hope i dont have to cancel any of my plans

Librarian
06-11-2012, 2:06 AM
thanks alot, ill contact them for the form. why do they only give 60 days. what if i dont process til i get back from my vacation. im leaving for around 2 months to visit family in Germany. Is it exactly 60 days from my seperation? What if I process 61 days later? Hope i dont have to cancel any of my plans

It's 60 days from when you bring them into the state, but no penalty if the way DOJ finds out about a delay is by receiving the registration.

Form is online - http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

phrogg111
06-11-2012, 2:10 AM

You only have to put when you acquired the guns, not when you imported them, I'm pretty sure.

Worst case? Lie and say you brought them back later. No one will know, and no one will care.

My S&W model 625 is listed as an S&W model G25... which doesn't exist... and I can't get anyone at the DOJ to call me back about the mix up.

Brave Sir Robin
06-11-2012, 8:30 AM
I have a feeling they are so damn backed up that I could tell them it was a rocket launcher and it would slip by. My main concerns were having my guns taken or not being able to sell or trade my fiveSeven. Once I register the five-seven, can I sell it here even though it is not on the approved list due to color configuration?

skis
06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes, you can sell it. The roster does not apply to person-to-person transfers, only FFL-to-person.