PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button and CA Law

Madigad
06-10-2012, 7:10 PM
Hi, I have a question about my AR15 with a bullet button in California. Can I go to the range and shoot, using the Bullet Button to remove and re-insert the mag, loading 5 rounds (5 round magazine)? I have a pistol grip but no other add-ons (collapsible stock, front grip, etc). I seem to have heard or read to never have a magazine out with a handgrip on the gun, this makes the gun illegal.

Thanks for help with this

BigJ
06-10-2012, 7:14 PM
Here, study this:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart_front.png

AfghanVetOrcutt
06-10-2012, 7:17 PM
If you have any "evil" features on your rifle keep that bullet button on there. To answer your question when you are at home or at the range you can remove the magazine. I'm not sure about driving but I think I remember seeing someone post something about leaving an empty magazine in the weapon during transportation. Maybe someone can clarify. On the top blue bar that says "home" on the left side, go over 3 to where it says "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide" and look at that.

I am not a lawyer or an expert by any means, I am simply conveying information that I believe to be true. Maybe someone who is a little more knowledgable can shed some more light on this subject.

Chaos47
06-10-2012, 7:19 PM
Yes, you can remove the magazine with the use of a tool.

Read the flow chart.
Then read the law for your self.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 7:20 PM
keeping a mag in the rifle is not necessary, however it just adds another layer of "above reproach" as you can readily display that you cannot remove the magazine unaided by tools.

BB rifles have been out for several years now so i highly doubt any LEOs nowadays will question it unless you have some obscure rifle

Madigad
06-10-2012, 7:48 PM
to shoot the gun and reload the mag by pulling it out and re-loading 5 rds then insert the mag back and shoot?

Wasn't sure if the only legal way to reload the AR was to top load the mag and never load by pulling mag out.

thanks

Librarian
06-10-2012, 7:55 PM
to shoot the gun and reload the mag by pulling it out and re-loading 5 rds then insert the mag back and shoot?

Wasn't sure if the only legal way to reload the AR was to top load the mag and never load by pulling mag out.

thanks

Yes, that's entirely legal. You can use 10-round magazines, too, just not larger ones while the BB is installed.

Removing a magazine from the weapon while the BB remains is still legal - any mag you might insert will still require the tool to remove, because it's the weapon that has been modified.

See also the Magazine Qs link, below.

motogenius
06-10-2012, 8:13 PM
You should be fine with removing the mag when reloading as long as you have the BB. Im newer to the AR scene, but I have heard that a long time ago you needed to top load and have a fixed magazine. That shouldnt apply if you have a BB installed and 10 round capacity magazine.

From what I understand, you cannot leave a mag release tool or similar magnetic device on your rifle at any time for quick magazine drops (no matter if its in your home, car, or at the range for 5 seconds). I use a non attached tool to release the mag and load up 10 rounds at the range all the time here in san diego. Regarding transporting the gun...i think youd be fine as long as the gun is not loaded or have ammo within reach. I drive a truck and recently asked patrol officer about this, since I dont have a trunk to keep one or the other. He told me that as long as the firearm is not loaded and the ammo is stored in a separate location, your fine.

Its always best to be as obvious as possible that you understand the laws...and are making an effort to comply. Ive heard some wild stories regarding civilians and law enforcement intentionally trying to lock them up for anything they can find wrong. Better safe than sorry.

34marine
06-11-2012, 8:15 AM

thanks

This depends on where you shoot. My dad was at a local gun range with his new BB'd AR last year and the owner walked up to look at it, let him eject the mag with a tool and reload another, them told him he was wrong in doing so, that he needed to break it open and top load the mag while in the well. He was told that that was the way it has to be done there and that was that.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-11-2012, 2:47 PM
This depends on where you shoot. My dad was at a local gun range with his new BB'd AR last year and the owner walked up to look at it, let him eject the mag with a tool and reload another, them told him he was wrong in doing so, that he needed to break it open and top load the mag while in the well. He was told that that was the way it has to be done there and that was that.

And at that point, it's time to find another range as the owner hasn't a clue.

bohoki
06-11-2012, 3:03 PM
its prudent to load it that way

you are allowed a removable magazine just not a "detachable*" magazine

"california defined"

Sleighter
06-11-2012, 3:54 PM
Regarding transporting the gun...i think youd be fine as long as the gun is not loaded or have ammo within reach. I drive a truck and recently asked patrol officer about this, since I dont have a trunk to keep one or the other. He told me that as long as the firearm is not loaded and the ammo is stored in a separate location, your fine.

There is NO requirement to have ammo stored seperately from a firearm. It just has to be unloaded and in a locked case within a gun free school zone.