PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Lower questions

Kahyne
06-10-2012, 6:25 PM
Whats up everyone.

I'm looking into building a AR-15 and want to start off by getting a stripped lower. I've seen different brands out there but not sure what to get. I am just wondering which brands are good, decent, and the ones I should stay away from? Also, where in San Diego can I get them from. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheese & Bacon
06-10-2012, 6:27 PM
JD tactical is good. And they're located in San Diego if I recall

Chaos47
06-10-2012, 6:30 PM
They are pretty much 99% the same unless its a billet.
There are only a few forges that make them and then they are taken and the finishing milling and roll marks are done by the different makers.

Pick which one has the roll mark you like for a decent price.

gant
06-10-2012, 6:48 PM
Exactly unless billet there all same thing lol

Arkangel
06-10-2012, 7:21 PM
Lots of places sell stripped lowers in SD. I recommend Parallax Tactical, DAS and TDS (in that order). You can get all parts and info needed to assemble a complete rifle.

bwiese
06-10-2012, 8:29 PM
99% of forged USGI-style AR lowers will do you fine.

Most of them come out of the same forges anyway ;-)

Lowers in an AR don't do much work - they just hold things (magazine, fire control group etc) in proper relationship to bore axis... the upper does all the work.

The only AR lowers you should specifically avoid:
- Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne (appears to be one & the same) - may work.
- Bushmaster Carbon 15 [synthetic, I don't recommend for 1st lower]
- Plum Crazy lower [synthetic, not recommended for 1st lower]
- billet lowers [expensive/dressy, no need, may actually be weaker than forged USGI]

If you stick to what I've written you'll be making your decision on pricing and how ugly or pretty the logo is on the magwell sideplate

SocomM4
06-10-2012, 9:03 PM
Spikes , great for the price.
Noveske , great magwell

Arkangel
06-10-2012, 9:29 PM
The only AR lowers you should specifically avoid:
- Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne (appears to be one & the same) - may work.

Work... Probably, work well (like be in spec) who knows. Why risk it?

- Bushmaster Carbon 15 [synthetic, I don't recommend for 1st lower]

- Plum Crazy lower [synthetic, not recommended for 1st lower]

Nothing really wrong with polymer lowers, usually good for budget minded owners.

- billet lowers [expensive/dressy, no need, may actually be weaker than forged USGI]

Only if made from 6061 aluminum instead of 7075 or 7175 ( e.g. Quentin Defense)

Wicked K5
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Only if made from 6061 aluminum instead of 7075 or 7175 ( e.g. Quentin Defense)
I've been told that if both are made of the same grade aluminum and machined to the same dimensions, the forged unit is stronger because the forging process tightens the grain structure. Can anyone confirm? Or was I given FUD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daybreak
06-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been told that if both are made of the same grade aluminum and machined to the same dimensions, the forged unit is stronger because the forging process tightens the grain structure. Can anyone confirm? Or was I given FUD?

I've heard that on several occasions and it makes sense. But I mean it sure beats a polymer receiver and those seem fine.

Arkangel
06-10-2012, 11:15 PM

I've heard that on several occasions and it makes sense. But I mean it sure beats a polymer receiver and those seem fine.

Seems to be a LONG standing discussion...

Here is just one example:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5992339/3/AR_10_in_243_Which_Manufacture

CS25
06-11-2012, 5:57 PM
An AR lower is an AR lower. Everyone has an opinion on the subject, just do some research and I'm sure you wont have any issues.

Bowhunter_619
06-11-2012, 6:03 PM
Anderson Arms 69.99 from Discount Guns on Morena Blvd. right off the 5.

Agent 0range
06-11-2012, 6:16 PM
Lots of places sell stripped lowers in SD. I recommend Parallax Tactical, DAS and TDS (in that order). You can get all parts and info needed to assemble a complete rifle.

Yup. Parallax, then DAS are my go-to places, in that order only because Parallax is closer to me. Can't go wrong with either though.

Spikes , great for the price.
Noveske , great magwell

+1 for Spikes.

Elwood_Blues
06-11-2012, 6:40 PM
I went with JD because they're in San Diego. I thought it was cool to have San Diego CA stamped on the lower.