PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buying Utah CCW's?

artoaster
06-10-2012, 5:17 PM
I Recently noticed many folks apparently buying $150 course and certification for Utah multi-state carry at a gun show.

Personally, I don't visit Utah, Florida, etc. I guess some people are hoping more states will get on board.

It looks like Nevada recently dropped either the Utah or Florida CCW.

Quiet
06-10-2012, 5:26 PM
NV dropped UT and FL on 07-01-2009.

I picked up a UT permit in 02-2009, because at the time the UT permit was honored by NV and was less expensive than renewing my NV permit.
Then NV dropped the UT permit and I no longer had a use for it.
I will not be renewing my UT permit.

HskrVern
06-10-2012, 5:33 PM
150 is kinda steep. Here in centeral Utah where I am at 100 bucks gets you taught, picture taken, and completely filed.

Sir Stunna Lot
06-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Nv picked up Az...

socalbowhunter
06-11-2012, 12:43 AM
My wife has family in Utah (we're mormon, of course we have family there), so I got Utah. Loving that NV picked up AZ, now I can let my NV expire and keep Az.

alfred1222
06-11-2012, 1:02 AM
I never go out of this state, so i see no point in getting my CCW in other states. When i go away for work or to continue school, than ill get a CCW in my new home state, along with as many of the nice NFA goodies i can get my hands on!

Heatseeker
06-11-2012, 5:14 AM
I got a Utah CCW in anticipation of a solo cross country trip to Arkansas I was planning to do on my cycle. The permit would've allowed my to carry in all but a couple of the states on the trip. Unfortunately the time between my last job and my current job was unexpectedly shortened so I couldn't make the trip.

My Utah does allow me to carry in Louisiana. I go down there once a year to check out our property there and visit family and friends.

SanPedroShooter
06-11-2012, 5:30 AM
I just got AZ for NV and a few others. My WA does TX. Between the two its something like 40 states.... Those are the only places I go exept OR and of course I go there once a year...

Gotta go see Sherrif Palmer next time, or possibly Josephene County Sherrif. OR is sort of may issue for out of staters I understand.

Does anyone know about how long it takes to get an AZ permit processed and back in the mail? Its been over a month. I know they have 90 days.

Ironchef
06-11-2012, 7:27 AM
Looks like AZ's CCW is the new UT CCW. I got my UT CCW in 2009 because it was all the rage and there were plenty of Utah instructors in CA. If I were still in CA I'd go for the AZ one. Of course Utah gives WA and AZ doesn't which is nice about the UT CCW.

Untamed1972
06-11-2012, 7:28 AM
Does anyone know about how long it takes to get an AZ permit processed and back in the mail? Its been over a month. I know they have 90 days.

They are pretty quick. I think mine came in about 3 weeks from the date I mailed it.

J.D.Allen
06-11-2012, 7:33 AM
AZ is the best deal going right now. NV accepts it, along with like 30 other states. They'll take any basic NRA safety or hunting safety course you may have done in the past as proof of training, and it's like 60 bucks. Quick turnaround and helpful people that actually answer the phone and answer questions like they actually want you to get your license.

Did I mention I like AZ???

SmokinMr2
06-11-2012, 7:38 AM
$150 bux is kinda spendy...

Aldemar
06-11-2012, 7:49 AM
Az actually requires proof of trigger-time. I don't believe the Utah and Florida non-resident permits do. Note that New Mexico just dropped a bunch of states from their reciprocity list - Az was among them. I am taking a trip to Texas later in the year and was good to go once I got across the Colorado River. Looks like I've got to look at what the New Mexico laws are now.:(

J.D.Allen
06-11-2012, 7:56 AM
Az actually requires proof of trigger-time. I don't believe the Utah and Florida non-resident permits do. Note that New Mexico just dropped a bunch of states from their reciprocity list - Az was among them. I am taking a trip to Texas later in the year and was good to go once I got across the Colorado River. Looks like I've got to look at what the New Mexico laws are now.:(

Check your facts bro...AZ does NOT require trigger time. Also NM did drop AZ for a minute but quickly added it back on their reciprocity list. There were a couple of threads about that when it happened.

wireless
06-11-2012, 7:57 AM
I'm taking a mutli-state CCW class next week and i'm going to pick up AZ and get my OR paperwork ready for when an OR sheriff visits :)

Untamed1972
06-11-2012, 8:01 AM
Check your facts bro...AZ does NOT require trigger time. Also NM did drop AZ for a minute but quickly added it back on their reciprocity list. There were a couple of threads about that when it happened.

They do require proof of some sort of training though...or a valid CCW from another state. So if you alredy have a UT or other state permit that's all you need to satisfy the AZ training requirement.

winnre
06-11-2012, 8:05 AM
I have ones for the states where I travel frequently. I got Utah in case I decide to drive cross country, it can fill in some spots that other permits miss. And considering that some states stop recognizing other permits rather suddenly, it's good to know I have the most coverage possible.

MP301
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
They are pretty quick. I think mine came in about 3 weeks from the date I mailed it.

From the time I sent mine in until I got it in the mail was 9 days! I wonder if they are getting a lot now and its slowed the process any?

stevied
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Yes they do

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

mej16489
06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes they do

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

No they don't

N.1. can be satisfied with an NRA Home Firearm Safety Course. No trigger-time required.

stevied
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
No they don't

N.1. can be satisfied with an NRA Home Firearm Safety Course. No trigger-time required.

How long has that been around? I swore that when I got one there was no course available that didn't have shooting which would satisfy the requirement.

Untamed1972
06-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Yes they do

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States.http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

Notice it says OR....not AND.

Lugiahua
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
so that means I can use my Utah CCW or Frontsight 4D handgun graduate certificate as proof of training?

paul0660
06-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I will not be renewing my UT permit.

I will, to get Washington, which Az, Or, and CA do not. Plus, it's $3/yr to renew ($15 for 5 years)........sort of a bargain.

mej16489
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
How long has that been around? I swore that when I got one there was no course available that didn't have shooting which would satisfy the requirement.

I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, at least a decade or so...

Untamed1972
06-11-2012, 1:09 PM
so that means I can use my Utah CCW or Frontsight 4D handgun graduate certificate as proof of training?

Actually all you need to do is submit a copy of your UT permit and that's it.

ColdDeadHands1
06-11-2012, 4:33 PM
So, any quick links with instruction on getting the AZ permit?

SanPedroShooter
06-11-2012, 5:10 PM
From the time I sent mine in until I got it in the mail was 9 days! I wonder if they are getting a lot now and its slowed the process any?

Sweet Georgia brown. I sent mine out May 4th....

Maybe I better get on the horn and give them a call. I did sort of a dumb thing, I just sent the packet and MO without certified mail or anything. Ha ha, maybe they never got it... It was in the manilla envelope marked ARIZONA DPS they give you....

I am also wondering if the OR-CHL.com training cert I sent was okay. No trigger time required, I called.

My 'course' was run by an NRA pistol instructer/ Home firearm safety and it has his number and stuff on it. Back then he olny did OR cert print outs, but he told me called AZ and his course was good to go, so he started making up AZ specific certs. Mine is an old one though.

I should have sent my DD214, but I dont like mailing that out, dont really have a reason.

VegasND
06-11-2012, 7:37 PM
Utah isn't as desirable as it was a few years ago. My Utah permit expires in November. I'm picking up an AZ permit and renewing my NV -- I have no plans to renew Utah.

Untamed1972
06-12-2012, 6:50 AM
Sweet Georgia brown. I sent mine out May 4th....

Maybe I better get on the horn and give them a call. I did sort of a dumb thing, I just sent the packet and MO without certified mail or anything. Ha ha, maybe they never got it... It was in the manilla envelope marked ARIZONA DPS they give you....

I am also wondering if the OR-CHL.com training cert I sent was okay. No trigger time required, I called.

My 'course' was run by an NRA pistol instructer/ Home firearm safety and it has his number and stuff on it. Back then he olny did OR cert print outs, but he told me called AZ and his course was good to go, so he started making up AZ specific certs. Mine is an old one though.

I should have sent my DD214, but I dont like mailing that out, dont really have a reason.

A copy of another valid CCW from another state should be all you need. A bottle neck could be verifying your other CCW with the issuing state. so if OR doesn't respond in a timely manner that could possibly hold things up.

SanPedroShooter
06-12-2012, 7:02 AM
A copy of another valid CCW from another state should be all you need. A bottle neck could be verifying your other CCW with the issuing state. so if OR doesn't respond in a timely manner that could possibly hold things up.

Well see I dont actually have an OR CHL. I did take the training though. I do have a valid WA CHL, but as there was no training involved, I figured it didnt count.

I sent them my certificate of NRA pistol/Home firearm training. I asked the lady over at DPS and she seemed to think that was fine, but they cant confirm any specific training program....

They are probably just backed up like anything gun related these days. I think a lot of people are doing AZ instead of UT these days. Seems much easier and cheaper.