PDA

View Full Version : So....the Magpul bug bit me

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Was going to go straight KISS for my new M&P Sport....but it bit me.

Last few things I need are a better optic (this is just a cheap POS one I ripped off my 10/22's tapco stock for fun) and a light mount.

Then i'll be done.

....or so I keep telling myself.

Anyway, here's my bland cookie-cutter spec FDE AR15.

http://i.imgur.com/Ahq6E.jpg?1

just need to start saving for the eotech now....

TNP'R
06-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice rifle, but i'll never let the magpul bug bite me, I've got a few magpul accessories but I wont get all magpul because there are so many other great companies to choose from.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice rifle, but i'll never let the magpul bug bite me, I've got a few magpul accessories but I wont get all magpul because there are so many other great companies to choose from.

but none quite so inexpensive as the MOE line

I spent about three hours yesterday looking up stuff i wanted to buy, and it kept going over $500 on accessories alone ($300+ quad rails and $100+ stocks)

ended up just going the cheap route and spent <$100 on the moe furniture

It does feel better than the cheap $10 factory handguards and $10 stock and $3 a2 grip

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 11:58 AM
anyone have any suggestions for a decent brake?

flash hider is kind of pointless to me and if i ever did want to go featureless it would be a boon.

ptgarcia
06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm not tacticool so I went with an MOE fore end and MIAD grip and couldn't be happier. They're inexpensive, comfortable, light weight, and just plain work well. I need a new buttstock and will most likely end up with an ACS-L.

xoutxkastx
06-10-2012, 12:03 PM

Last few things I need are a better optic (this is just a cheap POS one I ripped off my 10/22's tapco stock for fun) and a light mount.

Then i'll be done.

Hello OP. Great looking rifle. I used all magpul in FDE on my JD/DPMS build.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz9/nismo-33/IMG_0077-1.jpg

I'm not tacticool so I went with an MOE fore end and MIAD grip and couldn't be happier. They're inexpensive, comfortable, light weight, and just plain work well. I need a new buttstock and will most likely end up with an ACS-L.

I had the CTR and change to the ACS. Love the ACS and has a good cheek weld. You can also check out TI7 Stock which I have on another rifle. Really clean and same or lower price point than the ACS. Addax Tactical stocks it.

dvlsadvc8
06-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for posting the pic... I have yet to put mine together. I also have all MOE furniture, FDE. Now I have something to look forward too.

TNP'R
06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
but none quite so inexpensive as the MOE line

I spent about three hours yesterday looking up stuff i wanted to buy, and it kept going over $500 on accessories alone ($300+ quad rails and $100+ stocks)

ended up just going the cheap route and spent <$100 on the moe furniture

It does feel better than the cheap $10 factory handguards and $10 stock and $3 a2 grip

Could of got the vltor imod modstock for like 95 bucks. Its a little more expensive than the MOE but you get compartments for batteries and such.

xpbprox
06-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Haha magpul is cool and all, I own 2 products from them. I was in a gun store one time and this guy bought an upper that came with a free float rail. Anyways he insisted that he wanted to put the magpul hand guards that you have on there just because he was a magpul fan boy. I have those hand guards on one of my rigs too but it was never a free float. I just don't understand why guys are like that.

artoaster
06-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Magpul is good stuff. A2 grip and round stock handguards really don't work as well or have the same versatility.

With so many quad rails out there at least the Magpul MOE handguard retain some KISS sensability.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Haha magpul is cool and all, I own 2 products from them. I was in a gun store one time and this guy bought an upper that came with a free float rail. Anyways he insisted that he wanted to put the magpul hand guards that you have on there just because he was a magpul fan boy. I have those hand guards on one of my rigs too but it was never a free float. I just don't understand why guys are like that.

When i first got the m&p, my intention was to keep it simple, but as i read more about ARs and the options, the more I wanted a free float.

Then I went online and starting filling my shopping cart with crap, and by the time I was done i basically had a whole new upper and I felt pretty retarding buying a completed gun if i was just going to change everything else out anyway.

So I decided to get the MOE stuff since it was cheap and i didn't have to chop my D rings off or mess with the gas block to get a low profile one.

thrillhouse700
06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
When i first got the m&p, my intention was to keep it simple, but as i read more about ARs and the options, the more I wanted a free float.

Then I went online and starting filling my shopping cart with crap, and by the time I was done i basically had a whole new upper and I felt pretty retarding buying a completed gun if i was just going to change everything else out anyway.

So I decided to get the MOE stuff since it was cheap and i didn't have to chop my D rings off or mess with the gas block to get a low profile one.

Agreed that is how I did my Ma-Ten I have all the parts on it that I want.

xpbprox
06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
If you ever want to go free float and not blow a bunch of $$ check out yhm. It's a pretty simple swap and you want have to cut and d rings off. Just remove the whole assembly and barrel nut.

Dannicus
06-10-2012, 12:37 PM

flash hider is kind of pointless to me and if i ever did want to go featureless it would be a boon.

YHM Phantom comp. Cheap, effective, and looks baddass.:cool:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-abVoBjvN_oE/T9UIRM0RjjI/AAAAAAAAHyk/dudRHjXXKlI/s640/YHM-28-5M1.jpg

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
this one looks good

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=103

out of stock though :(

1forall
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM

I recently took a Samson Star C quad rail off of my Stag 2T and installed a MOE hand guard. Not cause I'm a fanboy but because it made sense to me. It is lighter, felt better in the hand(imo), and they also look great.

Nice looking rifle OP.

InkHammer
06-10-2012, 1:00 PM
I put the Troy industries medieval brake on my s&w , and it works great and looks pretty raw too. 30.00 or so.

InkHammer
06-10-2012, 1:03 PM
Have fun shooting that bad boy! I have close to 2000 rounds down the pipe on mine with no hiccups at all . All brass but will be shooting steel cases soon to try em out. Every one I know that rocks this gun has had no problems shooting steel cases. I would suggest the vickers two point from blue force for a sling option.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:03 PM
tried some federal 55gr 193s last time

shot like a charm

hossb7
06-10-2012, 1:04 PM

Then i'll be done.

http://i.imgur.com/Ahq6E.jpg?1

Magpul furniture is pretty simple. Unless I missed a memo.

TreeHugger
I love a lot of the Magpul products, except for that handguard, was never fond of it(the way it looks), but that's just my bad taste :)

BTW, nice rifle, wanna shoot for pink slip? :)

InkHammer
Have fun shooting that bad boy! I have close to 2000 rounds down the pipe on mine with no hiccups at all . All brass but will be shooting steel cases soon to try em out. Every one I know that rocks this gun has had no problems shooting steel cases. I would suggest the vickers two point from blue force for a sling option.

Herp-Derp!! I just noticed you have a sling...

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:09 PM
Magpul furniture is pretty simple. Unless I missed a memo.

oh it is

originally i wasn't planning on replacing anything on rifle and leaving it factory and not getting optics/lights/etc.

but now i guess i plan on putting more crap on it later like a light or something, and when i get the cash an eotech. Also maybe a vfg for fun.

I suppose this disqualifies me from being a hipster?

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:10 PM
I love a lot of the Magpul products, except for that handguard, was never fond of it(the way it looks), but that's just my bad taste :)

BTW, nice rifle, wanna shoot for pink slip? :)

not a chance

my marksmanship skills are pretty poor

socalbowhunter
06-10-2012, 1:18 PM
The rifle looks good. One advantage to going all Magpul is the colors match.

Primary Arms has the YHM muzzle brake. I put it on 3 of my AR's.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee_Hill_Machine_Phantom_Comp_Brake_5M1_p/yhm-28-5m1.htm

xpbprox
06-10-2012, 1:19 PM
I recently took a Samson Star C quad rail off of my Stag 2T and installed a MOE hand guard. Not cause I'm a fanboy but because it made sense to me. It is lighter, felt better in the hand(imo), and they also look great.

Nice looking rifle OP.

I guess, I have rifles setup both ways and they both feel great to me. I just like the freefloat look better and the one that is free floated has a SS barrel so it kinda goes with the accuracy theme. As far as weight savings, I haven't noticed the difference at all but if you wanna save 1oz then by all means do yo thang.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:20 PM
how hard are the factory A2 hiders to remove? just tool twist off?

xpbprox
06-10-2012, 1:28 PM
Yeah, I have a vise block setup I got of eBay for like $20 makes going any upper work a breeze. Just get a wrench and it should come off. The torque on these aren't too high

tacticalcity
06-10-2012, 1:31 PM

You don't want a break. The increased noise is counter productive. Every shooter within a mile of you will hate your guts every time you pull the trigger. The guys on either side of you will seriously want to kill you. The flash hider you have just keeps it from forming a giant ball of fire when you pull the trigger. So it is far from useless for you. It does its job, and even civilians need that job accomplished.

Some A2 hiders can come off. Others cannot. Some of them are on their so good that you will damage your barrel before you get them loose. Odds are you would ruin your finish finding out. If it comes off that's fine. If not you end up not only stuck with the A2 hider but now it is scratched to all hell. Plus, like I said, you don't want a break. A more effective hider maybe, but not a traditional break.

Magpul makes good stuff. Not a fan of their MBUS sights, too fragile and I don't like the inconsistancy of their rear apatures, but just about everything else they make I dig. I run a BAD on all my rifles, and run their MIAD grips and ladders. I wouldn't hesitate to run their other products, I just have a few other things I personally prefer so I run them instead. But that's not a knock against the Magpul stuff. I wouldn't balk at any of it.

TreeHugger
06-10-2012, 1:38 PM
not a chance

my marksmanship skills are pretty poor

My AR15 came with a .5 MOA test target, but I'm also a lousy shot, my average is 100 moa, so no worry, you'll get my pink slip :D

Don't forget to add a bottle opener from Magpul!

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:45 PM
Lol I'm usually shooting my mini14 so im used to fireballs and other shooters hating me. But thanks for the advice. Maybe ill just leave it alone.

motorwerks
06-10-2012, 1:48 PM
LOL it hasn't bit ya yet. I have have an AR in each color, Even my AK is in OD now with a MOE stock. :D

TreeHugger
06-10-2012, 1:56 PM
Lol I'm usually shooting my mini14 so im used to fireballs and other shooters hating me. But thanks for the advice. Maybe ill just leave it alone.

For me, the louder the better, I love hot brass hitting my ***, some people are just too whinny. If people want to be in a comfort zone, sit at home and watch a romance movie instead.

Arkangel
06-10-2012, 1:57 PM

Look at the Paracomp from Parallax Tactical, I think they run like $60. I have a gen 1 and it works great.

Xtracrispy
06-10-2012, 2:12 PM
Look at the Paracomp from Parallax Tactical, I think they run like $60. I have a gen 1 and it works great.

x2. I have the Gen 2 and it's awesome.

desertmedic
06-10-2012, 2:30 PM

Do you want a brake or a comp? If its the latter I have a Battlecomp and couldnt be happier. The recoil is straight back into the shoulder with no discernable muzzle rise. Im actually contemplating getting one for my AK.

motogenius
06-10-2012, 2:40 PM
Nice looking ar. Im really digging the color combination. How do you like the drop in hand guard? I put one on my mp15 Orc immediately after purchase and it works great for the money. Mine does have a little play in it..but I figured that's how all drop ins work. Does yours have the same?

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 3:00 PM
The magpul handguard has a very slight amount of play. It's mostly the delta ring compressing when I hold the rifle. It still feels more solid than the factory one though.

tanakasan
06-10-2012, 3:21 PM
Magpul hand guard has a lot better feeling profile than round OEM. And at a price that is a great value! Very minimal play.

Robert

FourLoko
06-10-2012, 3:24 PM
Magpul stuff is great. in BLACK

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 3:35 PM
Magpul stuff is great. in BLACK

best friend has the same setup in black

had to be a little different at least

motogenius
06-10-2012, 4:01 PM
best friend has the same setup in black

had to be a little different at least

Absolutely nothing wrong with being different. Its nice to see something other then black that still looks clean. Mines all black but the op's pics are really making me want to change it up. The best part about magpul is it won't break the bank too much...and having extra parts for future builds in a plus.

TNP'R
06-10-2012, 6:37 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with being different. Its nice to see something other then black that still looks clean. Mines all black but the op's pics are really making me want to change it up. The best part about magpul is it won't break the bank too much...and having extra parts for future builds in a plus.

I think its different to have a black rifle these days because it seems like everyone changes their rifles to different colors, that's mostly the reason I didn't change mine.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 6:41 PM
I think its different to have a black rifle these days because it seems like everyone changes their rifles to different colors, that's mostly the reason I didn't change mine.

lol maybe i should petition magpul to start a pink line of MOE products

motorwerks
06-10-2012, 7:01 PM
lol maybe i should petition magpul to start a pink line of MOE products

Dye FDE

motogenius
06-10-2012, 7:47 PM

You cant go wrong with black...maybe im just seeing everyones "brand new off the showroom floor" ar's...which is why It seems like majority of the guns stay true to their original color. Either way, everyone knows the black ones are more accurate anyways!

Probably wont be changing colors anytime soon..its just nice to see other colors that still have the classic and clean look to them.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 7:54 PM
we'll see how long that lasts...mine will probably end up having the kitchen sink hanging off of it by january....

TNP'R
06-10-2012, 8:13 PM
You cant go wrong with black...maybe im just seeing everyones "brand new off the showroom floor" ar's...which is why It seems like majority of the guns stay true to their original color. Either way, everyone knows the black ones are more accurate anyways!

Probably wont be changing colors anytime soon..its just nice to see other colors that still have the classic and clean look to them.

I know a black rifle sticks out in the desert like a sore thumb so some people change the color to FDE. Where I live its green and thick. in the summer time have fun walking through the woods cause its so thick and with the thickness comes little light shining through so my thinking is black would blend in better because since it gets pretty dark in the thick brush black would blend in. For pure concealment in the environment FDE would be a poor choice for me.

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 8:18 PM
it's a good thing that my rifle's primary purpose is for recreation

yeah it might have some tactical use at some point but in all honesty it is BB equipped so it's really not very tactical anyway (my mini-14 is more useful, even if it's less accurate)

i like the color, plain and simple lol

TNP'R
06-10-2012, 8:20 PM
it's a good thing that my rifle's primary purpose is for recreation

yeah it might have some tactical use at some point but in all honesty it is BB equipped so it's really not very tactical anyway (my mini-14 is more useful, even if it's less accurate)

i like the color, plain and simple lol

Right on. It's yours use it, customize it as you wish.

ckyrulez
06-10-2012, 8:31 PM
Nice looking rifle. I was looking through my friend's Magpul catalog a couple days ago and was going to order pretty much the same accessories as you have for my M&P15 Sport. This gives me a good idea of what mine will look like. What kind of stock is that?

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 8:45 PM
standard magpul MOE

they can usually be had for around $50

a lot of online places are out of stock (riflegear, exilemachine, primaryarms etc) so i got it locally for $54

there is the CTR stock which has a few more features for around $75 and some online stores have them in stock

Agent Tikki
06-10-2012, 9:35 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=525822

Enjoi

motogenius
06-10-2012, 9:42 PM
I know a black rifle sticks out in the desert like a sore thumb so some people change the color to FDE. Where I live its green and thick. in the summer time have fun walking through the woods cause its so thick and with the thickness comes little light shining through so my thinking is black would blend in better because since it gets pretty dark in the thick brush black would blend in. For pure concealment in the environment FDE would be a poor choice for me.

Good Point! Im stuck over here in the concrete jungle of suburbia SD so blending into nature has never really been a priority. I could have a bright yellow rifle and it wouldnt do anything except get funny looks at the indoor range. The closest legal outdoor shooting I can do is in the desert..and even that is just pure recreational shooting. Where are you living that you can roam through the brush with your rifle in hand? I always just assumed that if you wanted to have the freedom of wondering through the woods with a rifle, then you need to get out of the state.

TNP'R
06-11-2012, 5:13 AM
Good Point! Im stuck over here in the concrete jungle of suburbia SD so blending into nature has never really been a priority. I could have a bright yellow rifle and it wouldnt do anything except get funny looks at the indoor range. The closest legal outdoor shooting I can do is in the desert..and even that is just pure recreational shooting. Where are you living that you can roam through the brush with your rifle in hand? I always just assumed that if you wanted to have the freedom of wondering through the woods with a rifle, then you need to get out of the state.

I'm in Knoxville, TN. I'm mainly talking about STHF scenario's though in regard to the color of the rifle.

ptgarcia
06-11-2012, 7:51 AM
I have Magpul furniture in foliage green because it works well and I like it. I could care less about what is cool or what others think about it.

Sundowner
06-11-2012, 8:38 AM
The Magpul CTR stock locks up tighter than the MOE, no wiggle. However, I have both and they both work just fine. Nice looking rifle, OP!