View Full Version : Heard a Good Review - SU16CA

Red Devil
06-10-2012, 9:52 AM
Anybody here have any down range experience w/it?

Kel-Tec SU16CA SUB-16 223 CARB FIXED STK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/17742/Kel-Tec+SU16CA+SUB-16+223+CARB+FIXED+STK)

06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
if you do a search you can find quite a few threads on it...

I had one. accurate enough out to 100 yards with the stock sights
light and easy to handle. It is not an AR or an AK people that compare it to them always think they are inferior.

The stock mags suck

06-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Heard a good review

Was it the review last night on SoCal's KFI AM 640? I couldn't believe my ears that he was reviewing a rifle on the local radio station. Nice!

06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I actually have one of these, with a bit of an interesting back story. I purchased it from a private seller for $200. Before your jaw hits the floor on that price, though, I bought it in a non-operational state. The early model Kel-Tec SU-16CA has a manufacturer defect where the bolt carrier is allowed to travel too far back in the receiver, slamming into the rear where the folding stock mounts to it. Over time, the polymer receiver simply breaks out and the stock won't unfold. However, a call to one of Kel-Tec's gunsmiths was all it took to get it repaired and, because it was a known defect for the earlier models, they fixed the entire rifle at no repair cost to me. I essentially got an entirely new receiver and barrel back from them with only one-way shipping costs as my expense. If you're buying a used rifle, or from a private seller, call Kel-Tec with the prospective serial number and speak with a gunsmith to ensure the rifle doesn't have the manufacturer defect.

Obviously, I've done some modifications to mine. First off, don't waste your time or money on Kel-Tec's rather flimsy compact fore end. I had it on there when I first got the rifle and it's rather pathetic. The fine folks over at Red Lion Precision (http://redlionprecision.com/14212.html) make the aluminum tri-rail fore-end I have on here now. They make two sizes, a short and long one. If you want space on the front for anything, get the long one. Also, if you're buying a completely brand new one, just so you know the stock that folds into a bipod is also somewhat of a joke (I still have the original one in a box).

The barrel has a standard thread on the muzzle, onto which I put the H&K style muzzle brake from Darkmetal Designs (http://darkmetal-design.com/clamp-on-mb.html). The effect of the muzzle brake is tremendous. There is almost no recoil or muzzle drift with it, and you won't be kicking up a ton of dust from underneath the rifle when firing from the prone position. However, you can fit any muzzle brake or (if not in California) flash hider you want that's designed for a 1/2x28 TPL threading.

The bolt is built to Kel-Tec's specifications, but the rifle is prone to jamming spent cartridges due to a fairly weak extractor and spring. The fun part here is that you can fit any standard AR style extractor to the bolt. I've fit mine with a Bushmaster AR-15 extractor and spring assembly and have no problems with spent cartridges failing to eject properly.

The rifle accepts any standard STANAG magazine, so I recommend you avoid Kel-Tec's plastic ones and get some good metal ones instead. I've got a Bushmaster steel one for an AR given to me by a friend that interchanges much easier. Also, I have the Kel-Tec AR style stock with pistol grip attached to mine. You'll lost the folding stock capability that comes with the original rifle stock, but it may be worth looking into. However, as you can see in the picture, the bullet button I fabricated myself due to a lack of good quality ones on the open market. It's steel, lightly blued, and prevents the magazine from being released without a tool or bullet.

I've fitted a Bushnell Trophy Hunter 1x "T" dot reflex scope to mine, which I am very pleased with, along with a folding bipod with telescoping feet. Overall I'm happy with the rifle. Some people may argue that if I had wanted the AR look, I should have just bought the AR, but as I wanted to do my own build on a less expensive platform prior to investing huge money in a true AR build, this fit the bill for me. I think you'll be happy with it so long as you're comfortable investing some additional dollars in improvements after you've bought it. At the very least, you'll want a good compact fore-end and a better extractor. I've shot about 500 rounds through mine so far and it performs very well. It is also incredibly easy to disassemble and clean.

06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Check KTOG.org for more information. Good guys there too

06-10-2012, 11:41 AM
clarification on kel tec second owner responsibilities - there is none

i too was going to buy a used kel tec from ppt but before i did, i wanted to make sure the warranty was valid for folks outside of the original owner. It turns out as of 8/2011 kel tec is only warranting the original owner so save up those receipts and copy of dros for evidence of original ownership.

Red Devil
06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Was it the review last night on SoCal's KFI AM 640? I couldn't believe my ears that he was reviewing a rifle on the local radio station. Nice!

That be it.

Brian did a nice review on the L129A1 too, back when the Brits adopted it. (and they were ~ $2,000)

Great show.