PDA

View Full Version : My First Shotgun

adrenaline
06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Okay...I know there are a bunch of new 870 threads, but to keep to my tradition here on CalGuns I'm posting a new thread. (I've posted a new handgun, new centerfire rilfe, new .22lr rilfe, etc. threads).

About a month ago, the wife approved a purchase (can't sneak anything by her on the finances). She doesn't mind me really spending on what I want, she is just trying to understand the need. I told her I have no experience with shotguns and that I wanted the experience. That was all that was required. ** Next reason will be that it sucks for shooting clays. ;)

So the sub-forum that I've always skipped over has now become my favorite over the last several weeks.

I finally decided on a HD/plinking gun. I opted for synthetic since all my guns are evil black :D ....and decided to maintain the theme.

Yesterday....I bailed her out of jail, read the entire manual, took down the gun, became familiar with the action and handling of it, added some light lube to friction points (I didn't to the Remington Oil spray on the trigger assembly though).

This morning with more light, I took it outside for some pictures (because we know how useless threads are without them). :p

Thanks for everyone's post in this subforum...it really helps more than you know!

Remington 870 Express 12 GA. Synthetic

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7358214836_348533e487_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56589483@N06/7358214836/sizes/k/in/photostream/)
(click for larger size)

I'm keeping it simple for now (as is). If anything, I may try that Supercell Gel pad....but haven't taken this out to shoot. I want to put at least 200 rounds through her before I decide what changes I want to make. Most likely, I'll KISS it. Thanks for looking!

CK_32
06-10-2012, 1:49 PM
Nice pick up. Good looking gun.

wjc
06-10-2012, 6:47 PM
Nice. Congrats on the new EBS (Evil Black Shotgun).

Don't forget the range report. :D

Russ Florian
06-10-2012, 8:43 PM
I love the 870. Mine is kind of like that. It's stock looks like yours, but my forend sweeps back more like the magnum and my mag is extended to 7+1. I'm noticing you put extra weight on the backwith your extra shells. Check out the 4x4 shell holders from APCustomUSA.com
Real fast way to stick 8 shots into your rifle within seconds. You could easily have 3 or four of them on your belt. Thats 24 to 32 extra shots you have not interfering with the dynamics of your 870. I havn't seen a better way to carry extra SG ammo yet.I saw a guy shooting targets, shoot 1 chambered shell, load 8, shoot targets, load 8 more and shoot the rest of the targets, all 17 shells in in 4 1/2 seconds.You made an excellent choice . I like your rifle, very clean, enjoy.

mike100
06-10-2012, 8:54 PM
Nice!

one without the mag extension and what looks to be the 20" barrel. That could be useful as is. You might end up adding capacity at some point, but I like the standard mag tube because the gun is less front heavy and lends it self to a sporting look if you are hunting/clay busting.

btw, the express defense SG's tend to have the upscale wingmaster style of barrel retention with the ball bearing detent instead of the mag tube ratchet insert thing...which one do you have? it will make a difference on which type of extra barrels you need to buy.

Anyhow, you could do what I did and get the barrel threaded for a choke. You can actually get out there a little further with a tighter spread.

NYCShooter
06-10-2012, 9:07 PM
I love the 870. Mine is kind of like that. It's stock looks like yours, but my forend sweeps back more like the magnum and my mag is extended to 8+1. I'm noticing you put extra weight on the backwith your extra shells. Check out the 4x4 shell holders from APCustomUSA.com
Real fast way to stick 8 shots into your rifle within seconds. You could easily have 3 or four of them on your belt. Thats 24 to 32 extra shots you have not interfering with the dynamics of your 870. I havn't seen a better way to carry extra SG ammo yet.I saw a guy shooting targets, shoot 1 chambered shell, load 8, shoot targets, load 8 more and shoot the rest of the targets, all 17 shells in in 4 1/2 seconds.You made an excellent choice . I like your rifle, very clean, enjoy.

You have twice referred to his 870 as a "rifle"; it is a shotgun. Several companies besides APCustomUSA sell shell strippers, some of which are considered superior. They are used primarily for clay games and not for HD. For HD, I don't want to deal with a belt and shell strippers at zero-dark-thirty, under duress. Rather, I want all my ammo on the gun: 6+1, plus 6 more on the receiver mounted side saddle.

MrExel17
06-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Looks good, congrats!

scglock
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
nice lookin 870

twotap
06-14-2012, 9:41 PM
Great buy. You will love it for years to come.

bsg
06-14-2012, 11:44 PM
congratulations.

dooodstevenn
06-15-2012, 12:18 AM
some good info here

http://www.aiptactical.com/Breaking_In_the_870.html

prc77
06-15-2012, 6:06 AM
I love the 870. Mine is kind of like that. It's stock looks like yours, but my forend sweeps back more like the magnum and my mag is extended to 8+1. I'm noticing you put extra weight on the backwith your extra shells. Check out the 4x4 shell holders from APCustomUSA.com

The 4x4 and 3x3 shotshell carriers that AP Customs makes are a 3gun accessory, and are $70 each. All other clay games all you need is a bag or your pockets. and you DID NOT see a guy load and shoot 17 rounds in 4.5 seconds.

bjl333
06-15-2012, 9:20 AM
Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

SureShot241
06-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Congrats! It looks nice!

Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow (500 not 870)

Russ Florian
06-16-2012, 12:40 AM
The 4x4 and 3x3 shotshell carriers that AP Customs makes are a 3gun accessory, and are $70 each. All other clay games all you need is a bag or your pockets. and you DID NOT see a guy load and shoot 17 rounds in 4.5 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZs8PE2DJJw ya, i must have watched too much youtube that day,:facepalm: this is what I saw that impressed me. shoot 1, load 8 , shoot 1 more in less than 5 sec. BUT OMG, I saw the price you were talking about. I changed my mind, I think I'll just throw loose shells in cargo pants pockets.

Thefeeder
06-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Its what you do AFTER you load'em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofcnDLA3pFE&feature=related

Russ Florian
06-16-2012, 1:43 AM
You have twice referred to his 870 as a "rifle"; it is a shotgun. Several companies besides APCustomUSA sell shell strippers, some of which are considered superior. They are used primarily for clay games and not for HD. For HD, I don't want to deal with a belt and shell strippers at zero-dark-thirty, under duress. Rather, I want all my ammo on the gun: 6+1, plus 6 more on the receiver mounted side saddle.

Ya, I wouldn't get those 4x4's unless they were under $15. And only for targets. It sounds like you have what you need and are ready. I dont have cold or duress, and it's all lit up outside my place at night. No one but my family could manuver in my place at night, so the dark is my friend. I would never go out with my:D --->shotgun<----;),only ambush within. I have extra shells in spots around the house. the 2 back rooms , livingroom and kitchen where I may retreat to. What about some cargo shorts sitting next to the shotgun with loaded pockets....ya gotta put something on when you hop out of bed. I guess shooters will work out the kinks and get what's right for themselves after running around the house doing some dry practice.

prc77
06-16-2012, 6:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZs8PE2DJJw ya, i must have watched too much youtube that day,:facepalm: this is what I saw that impressed me. shoot 1, load 8 , shoot 1 more in less than 5 sec. BUT OMG, I saw the price you were talking about. I changed my mind, I think I'll just throw loose shells in cargo pants pockets.

That is Keith Garcia. Very good 3gunner. You can see him on 3gun nation. I got to shoot with him at last years shotgun match held at Richmond Rod & Gun. His weakhand reloads are very fast.
The AP Customs 4x4 and 3x3 are worth every penny. Double the amount of rounds in half the space on you belt. Brilliant!!. Again these are built with 3gun in mind.

Meet the requirments and join us in Sep.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=501824

Ribkick
06-16-2012, 6:01 PM
That's my brand. Nice 870. Mine is KISS too. An 18.5" with rifle sights, a Hogue 12" LOP stock, Wilson +1 extension and a REAL parkerize job from AIP.

You have the best fore end. The Remington Speedfeed. Don't swap it out; you'll be sorry.

MindBeyondAverage
06-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Better than my first shotgun. Nice.

hcbr
06-17-2012, 2:04 AM
nice congrats! miss my 870, but you won't regret it!

forgiven
06-17-2012, 2:57 AM
Congrats!