PDA

View Full Version : CCW at UCSB Graduation

Edisla
06-09-2012, 9:37 PM
I will be attending my daughters graduation next weekend and would be carrying but thought of something. What if there is a metal detector at the gate?

Is that an automatic turn around and put firearm away properly situation? If so then I should not bother since the car could be FAR away from the gate.

Thoughts?

HK4113
06-09-2012, 9:41 PM
I will be attending my daughters graduation next weekend and would be carrying but thought of something. What if there is a metal detector at the gate?

Is that an automatic turn around and put firearm away properly situation? If so then I should not bother since the car could be FAR away from the gate.

Thoughts?

There usually are not any metal detectors at the UC graduations. However if you were to be caught with your gun UCPD will get upset regardless of your CCW.

Edisla
06-09-2012, 9:42 PM
There usually are not any metal detectors at the UC graduations. However if you were to be caught with your gun UCPD will get upset regardless of your CCW.

upset and would do what? Can I proceed?

HK4113
06-09-2012, 9:44 PM

best case senario they will either asking you to leave the UC property or taking away your gun. Worst case throwing you in jail and trying to charge you with something.

More than likely will try to charge you with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, trespassing, or some bs like that.

Quiet
06-09-2012, 9:45 PM

Ask you to leave the property, then ban you from ever coming back.
Refusal to leave or returning to the property, will result in a tresspassing charge.

Edisla
06-09-2012, 9:47 PM
Ask you to leave the property, then ban you from ever coming back.
Refusal to leave or returning to the property, will result in a tresspassing charge.

This is exactly what I was just going over w/ the wifey.

Oh and I like your avatar. BUCS!

Lugiahua
06-09-2012, 9:52 PM
if there is a detector around, claimed that you have a pocket knife and drop your weapon in the car.

TheBest
06-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I was there 2 years ago. There is nothing. The campus is open for all.

JeremyKX
06-09-2012, 10:27 PM
UCSB student. There are no "metal" detectors at UCSB. I don't think there are any at any of the UCs. It is a wide open campus and I believe the graduation ceremony is taking place right next to the lagoon. Just don't expect the cops to be nice if they find out you are carrying but then again, the point of CCW is that no one knows.

Also, there are multiple parking lots on campus within 2-10 minutes of the graduation ceremony.

hossb7
06-09-2012, 10:41 PM
There are no metal detectors at UC Merced but they brought them in when Michelle Obama gave the key note speech at the 2005 graduation.

YMMV

Sir Stunna Lot
06-09-2012, 11:41 PM
sounds like its safe to assume that their wont be any metal detectors. with that said, carry on and dont get caught!

Purple K
06-10-2012, 2:10 AM
It is not illegal to have a licensed concealed weapon on UC property. The Federal GFSZ law only applies to rifles and shotguns... not applicable. The State GFSZ law PC626.9 applies to handguns. However, 626.9 only pertains to grades K-12. School policy is not law. If they discover that you are carrying, they may ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, you can be cited for trespass. Don't be persuaded from carrying by FUD. Knowledge is power.

scglock
06-10-2012, 2:34 AM
You should be fine, I doubt there will be any metal detectors.

Gray Peterson
06-10-2012, 2:51 AM
There is no crime if you have an LTC.

Carry on!

mrdd
06-10-2012, 6:52 AM
It is not illegal to have a licensed concealed weapon on UC property. The Federal GFSZ law only applies to rifles and shotguns... not applicable. The State GFSZ law PC626.9 applies to handguns. However, 626.9 only pertains to grades K-12. School policy is not law. If they discover that you are carrying, they may ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, you can be cited for trespass. Don't be persuaded from carrying by FUD. Knowledge is power.

Just thought I'd point out that 626.9 (h) applies to all public or private universities in the state.

Holders of a valid LTC are exempt from all of 626.9.

SilentPea
06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
You'll be fine as long as you don't wave it around, get drunk and disorderly with the law enforcement, or anything else.

As a licensed individual who is NOT a student or employee of the university, the most they can do is ask you to leave, and even that is a stretch... Just go for it, I would if I had one, and I'm walking.

Standard disclaimers: Not a lawyer, all that jazz.

lorax3
06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
The Federal GFSZ law only applies to rifles and shotguns...

The Federal GFSZ applies to much more than just rifles and shotguns.

18 USC 922 (q)(2)(A)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

18 USC 921 (a)(3)
(3) The term “firearm” means
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

hoffmang
06-10-2012, 4:00 PM
The Federal GFSZ applies to much more than just rifles and shotguns.

Yes, but as a reminder, a License to Carry issued by the state exempts you from the Federal GFSZ as well.

-Gene

alfred1222
06-10-2012, 4:06 PM
idk what good this will do, but there is a nice big sign at the start of all roads leading into UC Davis that clearly state that you cannot bring any type of firearm onto UC property. it cites some code from the regents

Gray Peterson
06-10-2012, 4:15 PM
idk what good this will do, but there is a nice big sign at the start of all roads leading into UC Davis that clearly state that you cannot bring any type of firearm onto UC property. it cites some code from the regents

Not applicable. Preempted if you're an LTC holder. Don't show it openly and there won't be a problem.

alfred1222
06-10-2012, 5:17 PM
Not applicable. Preempted if you're an LTC holder. Don't show it openly and there won't be a problem.

so than whats the point of having a policy against firearms if state law allows people to CCW? Anyone who chooses to carry without a CCW wouldnt heed the sign... i will never understand this state

Quiet
06-10-2012, 6:18 PM
so than whats the point of having a policy against firearms if state law allows people to CCW? Anyone who chooses to carry without a CCW wouldnt heed the sign... i will never understand this state

The policy is so that the school/university can bring administrative and/or civil action against the person that possessed the weapon even if they can legally do so.

CA is different than most states in that it is legal for a person with a valid CA LTC permit to legally carry on school/university grounds.
Most states, like AZ and NV, do not exempt conceal carry permit holders from their "GFSZ" laws.

Bottom line...
It's a way for the school/university to punish someone for something that they do not like, even though it's legal.

Cummins_Powered
06-10-2012, 7:06 PM
Graduated last year from UCSB. There are no detectors. Its basically a huge open area with many entrances and exits. Ill be there this year as well to watch my friends. Enjoy the ceremony!

Edisla
06-17-2012, 5:02 PM
All was well. It was a really nice ceremony. Proud of our Grad ;)