PDA

View Full Version : Fractured's K.I.S.S. 1st AR build!

Fractured
06-09-2012, 8:51 PM
So after shooting a co-workers AR-15 a while back, I got bit by the bug.

It took me a while to get over the fear of somehow getting "pulled over" by a LEO that didn't not know his AW flow chart while I had my AR (to and from the range) and getting tossed in the slammer for having an AW. The fear is still with me a bit, but I have faith in the fact that I am a 100% law abiding citizen who Knows his rights (Still need to laminate that flowchart!)

Bear with me, I know my rifle isn't anything special, but everyone gets excited and wants to show off right?

I was trying to adhere to some sort of budget, that is why there is a lot of magpul stuff (plus I like it!)

Thank you to all my Calguns brothers in arms for sharing Info and knowledge on this site.

Anyways, on to the fun stuff.

Spikes zombie Lower
RRA Lower parts kit
Assault planet BB
Magpul MOE + grip
Palmetto state armory Milspec buffer tube and spring
Magpul MOE stock
Delton M4 Flat top upper in 5.56 16"
10/20 pmag OD

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/331/dsc0008uau.jpg
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7860/dsc0004d.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/999/dsc0005gi.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/1528/dsc0102dz.jpg

I know the OD green Pmag looks a little cheesy, but that's all they had at the LGS and I needed to do a functional test.

+ Nerd rep for whoever can tell me where this sword is from:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8185/dsc0009la.jpg

My goals are to:
1. Shoot it
2. Shoot it
3. Clean it
4. Shoot it more
5. Tactical carbine class

Parts on order:
Magpul MOE handguard/ Rail sections
Magpul AFG
Magpul MBUS
Frog Lube
BCM Charging handle
10/20 pmags in black

I want to get A LOT of rounds through it with the iron sights before I slap an optic on it, I really want to be in tune with the gun.

Please don't hold back any Questions/comments/recommendations!

- Fractured:44:

HK4113
06-09-2012, 8:56 PM
final fantasy cloud sword

HK4113
06-09-2012, 8:57 PM
oh ya btw nice gun

Arkangel
06-09-2012, 9:00 PM
She looks good.... Welcome to the world of EBR's

darmog
06-09-2012, 9:00 PM
Cloud Strife's Buster Sword?? Great looking rifle. Will look very similar to the Colt 6920 MOE which I like as well.

whatpain
06-09-2012, 9:01 PM
haha you did opposite of me!! i got a delton complete lower for a good deal and slapped a dpms upper on it. nice gun

Mossy Man
06-09-2012, 9:44 PM
i also just got my KISS AR

i don think AFGs work too well on carbine length handguards though. i'd skip if i were you

get a vfg instead

mlevans66
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Whoa the Cloud "Buster Sword" and an KISS AR. Niiiice:thumbsup:

weber_2
06-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Nice zombie chopping sword

FourLoko
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Simple is good, should get the job done. Glad to see you didn't jump on the FDE bandwagon.

OD is good, I like my OD PMAGS.

weber_2
06-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Oh and don't worry about the cops. you can tell them to kick rocks if they want to search your car or ask what a in the bag. Don't let the man stop you from practicing our 2nd Amendment

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 1:35 PM
Simple is good, should get the job done. Glad to see you didn't jump on the FDE bandwagon.

OD is good, I like my OD PMAGS.

i'm guilty of FDE bandwagon

:(

LNTT
06-10-2012, 1:43 PM
Nice zombie chopping sword

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Nice KISS AR!

TreeHugger
06-10-2012, 1:50 PM
That sword scares me more than the gun!!!

Fractured
06-10-2012, 5:20 PM
That sword scares me more than the gun!!!

If you can hit something with it, it will do damage. Problem is that it weighs like 45 lbs so to swing it you have to be he-man!

i also just got my KISS AR

i don think AFGs work too well on carbine length handguards though. i'd skip if i were you

get a vfg instead

My experience has shown the opposite. I shouldn't say "opposite" because the AR's that I have shot with the VFG had great control, but the AFG felt more natural to me. I think I might add a hand stop as well if I can find one for cheap.

While I have some money put aside for ammo, I also have some "extra" allowance burning a hole in my pocket. Any recommendations on a gas block w/ rail and muzzle brake?

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 5:26 PM
If you can hit something with it, it will do damage. Problem is that it weighs like 45 lbs so to swing it you have to be he-man!

My experience has shown the opposite. I shouldn't say "opposite" because the AR's that I have shot with the VFG had great control, but the AFG felt more natural to me. I think I might add a hand stop as well if I can find one for cheap.

While I have some money put aside for ammo, I also have some "extra" allowance burning a hole in my pocket. Any recommendations on a gas block w/ rail and muzzle brake?

i just dont see how people can use an AFG on a carbine, unless you have t-rex arms

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4881/magpulafg.jpg

this how you're supposed to use it and this looks like the DD extended carbine rail.....and its at the very edge already

tacticalcity
06-10-2012, 5:51 PM
It's a great AR, but it is not K.I.S.S. You have a TON of aftermarket non-GI parts on their. From your grip, trigger guard, stock, etc. Once you add that stuff it stops being K.I.S.S. Even having a flat top makes it non-K.I.S.S. But I understand your confusion. Thanks to Magpul's first AR video, an entire generation of new guys have no clue what the term really means when applied to ARs and miss use it all the time. As somebody who remembers how and when the term began to be applied to ARs it is pretty frustrating.

Back when flat tops first hit the market, there was also a surge of really cheap AR parts coming out as well. The old timers took a look at the fancy removable carry handles and cheap aftermarket parts and started a little revolution of their own. Bear in mind this was long before we had Troy, Magpul, etc. Just about the only stuff available was Chinese made crap. Stuff only a fool would trust their life to. Yet the civilian market was overwelmed with that crap. Hence the K.I.S.S. AR revolution was born.

In order to be K.I.S.S. the AR had to have an A1 or A2 carry handle receiver, and all GI style parts with no frills or fancy accessories to be K.I.S.S. Clearly doesn't apply to your rifle, or 99.99% of the other rifles here on Calguns being called K.I.S.S.

Why does it matter? In the grand scheme it doesn't. But using the incorrect terms for things makes you sound...well, less than smart. It's like calling magazines "clips". Or supressors "silencers". Once you start doing that, the vast majority of your target audience stops listening to a word you say and tunes you out completely.

All that said, I do dig your rifle very much. Good for you.

6doubleR
06-10-2012, 8:23 PM
Congrats on your 1st build. Enjoy it.

Fractured
06-10-2012, 8:33 PM
It's a great AR, but it is not K.I.S.S. You have a TON of aftermarket non-GI parts on their. From your grip, trigger guard, stock, etc. Once you add that stuff it stops being K.I.S.S. Even having a flat top makes it non-K.I.S.S. But I understand your confusion. Thanks to Magpul's first AR video, an entire generation of new guys have no clue what the term really means when applied to ARs and miss use it all the time. As somebody who remembers how and when the term began to be applied to ARs it is pretty frustrating.

Back when flat tops first hit the market, there was also a surge of really cheap AR parts coming out as well. The old timers took a look at the fancy removable carry handles and cheap aftermarket parts and started a little revolution of their own. Bear in mind this was long before we had Troy, Magpul, etc. Just about the only stuff available was Chinese made crap. Stuff only a fool would trust their life to. Yet the civilian market was overwelmed with that crap. Hence the K.I.S.S. AR revolution was born.

In order to be K.I.S.S. the AR had to have an A1 or A2 carry handle receiver, and all GI style parts with no frills or fancy accessories to be K.I.S.S. Clearly doesn't apply to your rifle, or 99.99% of the other rifles here on Calguns being called K.I.S.S.

Why does it matter? In the grand scheme it doesn't. But using the incorrect terms for things makes you sound...well, less than smart. It's like calling magazines "clips". Or supressors "silencers". Once you start doing that, the vast majority of your target audience stops listening to a word you say and tunes you out completely.

All that said, I do dig your rifle very much. Good for you.

Thanks for the clarification. I was unaware that this originated in the military. I am familiar with "K.I.S.S" standing for "keep it simple stupid"- we use it all the time at work when people start over-thinking things. I figured that because my rifle didn't have a bunch of "stuff" on it, it would be considered that. I will use the term correctly from now on (when it comes to rifles). I reserve the right to use it on the job site when my co-workers need to "keep it simple":D

Mossy Man
06-10-2012, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was unaware that this originated in the military. I am familiar with "K.I.S.S" standing for "keep it simple stupid"- we use it all the time at work when people start over-thinking things. I figured that because my rifle didn't have a bunch of "stuff" on it, it would be considered that. I will use the term correctly from now on (when it comes to rifles). I reserve the right to use it on the job site when my co-workers need to "keep it simple":D

see, all of my posts already have a disclaimer in my sig

so i might say something stupid at any moment

tonelar
06-21-2012, 7:49 AM
And all this time I was using KISS to mean any iron sighted, non railed (forearm) AR with a standard barrel.
I learn something new every day.