View Full Version : Remington 870 Express accessories

06-09-2012, 6:02 PM
So I took the plunge and bought my first shotgun today, Turners had the 870 Express on sale. It's just the standard 870 Express with the bead sight, 6+1 capacity, and no pistol grip/tactical stock.

What sort of accessories should I be looking into to make this into a decent HD/tactical gun? I don't want a pistol grip, it feels weird to me on a shotgun. I was thinking more along the lines of a side saddle, perhaps a tube extension or a new set of sights? What is it going to take to make this thing awesome?

06-09-2012, 6:20 PM

06-09-2012, 6:27 PM
Congrats! What it cost you and any pics?

I say tube extension side saddle and a ta light

06-09-2012, 6:59 PM
Congrats! What it cost you and any pics?

I say tube extension side saddle and a ta light

No pics yet, it's in jail until the 19th. It was the on sale model at Turners this week, 359 + fees. All said and done, 421 and some change out the door. Thanks for the suggestions btw! I've seen a couple shotguns with lights built into the pump, and I thought that was a pretty groovy idea. Any thoughts on those?

06-09-2012, 7:15 PM
Yea I feel you I'm in day 7 of my 11 day (work on day 10) for my 870.

IMO those are cool but the wiggle and play in the forend although slight moves around on the target and is pretty hard to keep on target when racking a new round. My cousin has a rail mounted light on his 590, not a fan.

I like my lights mounted on either the side of the tube or under because it seems a little more stable and less weight and junk on the forend when needing to rack it. I feel you move the muzzle more when you have stuff on it and it weighs more seems like I pull harder effecting the muzzle. Personal preference tho try and see which works for you.

Just FYI I believe those surefire forends with the lights are about $300 to $400. There are cheaper options tho but again I'm not a fan.

06-09-2012, 7:18 PM
Another thing too if your gun holds 6+1 that's plenty and should already have a tube extension on.. I don't think you need any more than that.

06-09-2012, 7:34 PM
He has the newer style 870 most probably.

Jack L
06-09-2012, 7:36 PM
I prefer my 870 as it came without anything else except...... I did clean the bore with steel wool on a dowel and cleaned the action well, put an upgraded Remington gel pad on to please my shoulder. I like the bare bones approach. Once I practiced with it eliminating squirrels out here, I felt it was a keeper like it came. These 870's are a great design.

06-09-2012, 8:17 PM
Personally I think the gun would look incredibly stupid with a longer extension on it as it would be longer than the barrel. That model already has an extension on it

06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Well thank you for all the valuable information guys. Can't wait til I get this thing out of jail and get to go take it for a spin!

06-10-2012, 1:19 AM
I suggest a mesa tactical 6 shot side saddle and 00 buck. Thats about all you need. Add a light if you want