PDA

View Full Version : Safe to shoot?

Travis590A1
06-09-2012, 5:26 PM
Hey all so I'm at a buddys house and we just came accross a old mossberg 500 in his dads old garage. From what his mother said the shotgun was at least 30 years old. So to get to thd point it seems to be in decent shape, the outside of the barrel has almost zero finish left but when we checked to clear it there was zero rust inside the barrel or firing mechanism in fact the barrel is still very shiny n smooth. Question is do you think its good to shoot? It functions fine and seems just as rough as my newer mossy 590 it just looks like crap due to lack of finish lol. I cab post pics later when I get home.

jamesweed
06-09-2012, 5:38 PM
Hey all so I'm at a buddys house and we just came accross a old mossberg 500 in his dads old garage. From what his mother said the shotgun was at least 30 years old. So to get to thd point it seems to be in decent shape, the outside of the barrel has almost zero finish left but when we checked to clear it there was zero rust inside the barrel or firing mechanism in fact the barrel is still very shiny n smooth. Question is do you think its good to shoot? It functions fine and seems just as rough as my newer mossy 590 it just looks like crap due to lack of finish lol. I cab post pics later when I get home.

Give it a good cleaning oil it up good give it a good over look for damage and take that bad boy out shooting.. just because its sat 30 years does not mean its not safe to shoot - i have a 60+ year old shotgun and still shoots like a champ :43:

Travis590A1
06-09-2012, 6:15 PM
That's what I figured. There are no barrel obstructions or internal problems. It racks smoothly and the firing pin drops so its a good start.

jamesweed
06-09-2012, 6:35 PM
That's what I figured. There are no barrel obstructions or internal problems. It racks smoothly and the firing pin drops so its a good start.

Sounds like you guys found a winner in that old garage... Clean it, oil it, take it out shooting and have fun with it :D

mikey357
06-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Have a smith headspace check it....probably not necessary but better safe than sorry.

para-frame
06-13-2012, 2:18 AM
Shotguns such as the Mossberg 500 "headspace" off the bolt (how else could you shoot 2 3/4 in. shells in a 3 in. gun? it would have over a quarter inch of "excess head space" :oji:)

I shoot 100+ year old shotguns pretty routinely, 30 years old is nothing.

daybreak
06-13-2012, 7:17 AM
clean and it sounds like there shouldn't be an issue. Tell us how it goes

scglock
06-13-2012, 7:28 AM
you should be good to go! got any pics?

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2012, 7:58 AM
30 years old is nothing for a gun. Age doesn't make a difference, use, abuse and neglect do.